A Certain Plus-Sized Host: "The Lakers are quietly working on something big."
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject:

That "oversized" dude dont know jack!
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject:

It might have something to do with the unhappy Chinese draft pick.
Darkndeep
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject:

angel wrote:
It might have something to do with the unhappy Chinese draft pick.

Nah, that would take too many assets to leave anything for a player who would make the type of immediate impact Kobe wants. Have you heard any rumors, though? Just because I don't believe it doesn't mean I won't listen.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: A Certain Plus-Sized Host: "The Lakers are quietly working on something big."

Darkndeep wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Darkndeep wrote:

I think the Lakers would do the Fisher move independent of anything else, but they may already have a "big move" agreed to in principle, thus the Fisher move could be "part" of something else--although I'd call it more just completing the offseason shopping list. You figure, Lakers' brass wants to come out of this off-season with: (1) a better team (for everyone, including Kobe); (2) a big name/superstar that appeases; (3) a veteran PG (or second guard, anyway, who will facilitate). From everything we've heard, any KG or JO trade will probably not bring back the desirable guard (we don't really want Hudson or Tinsley), so signing Fisher independently may "complete" that "part" of an overall offseason "plan." "Grand plan," sounds like the plus-sized guy is embellishing: I really doubt that FOs (Lakers or otherwise) throw that kind of terminology around to anyone.

The Fisher signing was something a colleague and I were debating earlier in the week. The general concensus was that The likely treatment facility for his daughter was going to be Mayo affilliated and the three Mayo Retinal research and treatment facilities are located in Phoenix, Jacksonville, and Rochester Minnesota. The Phoenix facility is almost close enough to LA to see him commit to endless short flights back and forth, but Rochester would be a much more convenient option if he were in Minny. While certainly quite far fetched, it is nonetheless conceivable that Fishers surprisingly high salary, and quick deal, might have solved some salary exchange issues in potential negotiations. Fisher would be a decent fit in Minny's rebuild mode, and one which would have an appetizing "salary/productivity" expiration date as well. I don't think anything that clever is afoot, but the possibility does beget intrigue.

That is interesting. I didn't realize that about the Mayo facility in Minnesota. I guess I'm hung up on Minnesota paying that kind of money for Fisher, though: we're overpaying, but he's a particularly nice fit for us right now that maybe makes the extra bucks worthwhile; he doesn't give the same extra "value" to Minnesota.

There are only a handful of facilities around the country specializing in retinoblastoma. Children's Hospital Los Angeles is one of them. The others are located in Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, Memphis, and New York. Didn't see anything about any of the Mayo facilities on this website.
HoopsLA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject:

The fact that things have been very quiet is a positive in my mind. Teams use the media and they all have their mouth pieces at BSPN or Radio or Fox and use them to leak information for various reasons.

Every rumor that comes out and say the teams are talking have little chance of happening because every team is talking about some kind of move. It will be a wait and see position. I contended the Fisher deal was the front end of a larger deal.

My only thought on the deal proposed between Celtics, Wolves and Lakers is why sign another guard if you are not packaging one of the young kids, Farmar or Javaris or Sasha, as part of the package. If the deal above is legit, you would think the Lakers would have pursued Magloire since they would be trading their two centers and best PF.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
They also don't have the cooperation of anyone else in the league. When a team wins 3 titles in a row there is a general consensus among the other franchises that precede all trade logic. Bring the champs down and keep 'em down. This holds true for the NBA brass as well. The whole system is set up to keep any one franchise from becoming a dynasty and you need a GM who is whole lot more clever than Mitch to play the system.

That being said, as a lifelong Laker fan, I still hold out hope that our FO can pull a rabbit out of its hat. I agree, the Fisher signing may just be the tip of the iceburg. Let's hope.

^^^Realtalk.net

Truth.com

This is probably the realist statement I've heard about why its so hard for the lakers to make a HUGE deal.
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: A Certain Plus-Sized Host: "The Lakers are quietly working on something big."

Dr. Laker wrote:
Out of boredom while travelling on business, I listened to a "certain plus-sized talk show host" over the internet last night on the Lakers' flagship station.

Petros? I know he has a plus-sized head!!! or is it Hacksaw? his head's even bigger!
KOBEhastheMAGIC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject:

Well from other rumors we apparently already have a Kame, Farmar, 2008 first round pick deal on the table for Artest but we are waiting to see if we can get KG, which is stupid imo.

Kobe/Artest/LO/Bynum

is a lot better than just Kobe, KG.....
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject:

Fisher knows the Tri, can play PG/SG so it could be anyone from PG / SG / SF (Kobe slides over part time) going out.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
MyKRo wrote:
This could be something big.

This rumor is flying around Celtic forums:

Wolves get:

Bynum
Green
Ratliff
Kwame

Lakers get:

Garnett

Celtics get:

Odom

This trade works in the trade checker, and it makes sense! Minnesota gets 2 nice up and coming players and salary relief. Boston gets Odom for basically Green. The Lakers score The BIG TICKET!

If this is true (I won't get my hopes up) my only worry is who do we get to play center. Resigned Mihm? Try and score an aging Magloire with the remainder of our MLE?

Fish/Farmer/Crit
Kobe/Mo/Sasha
Luke/Mo/Rad
KG/Turiaf
Mihm/Magloire/Turiaf

Might be a little thin at the 4 but definitely a team ready to compete.

Oh, forgot about Cook. Is he still on the team?

In that case, I'd actually like to try to get Madsen thrown in from Minny, just for the sake of an extra banger. I doubt Magloire would come here for less than half-MLE, and maybe having Mad Dog beat up on Cook in practice would force Cookie to, I don't know, grow a spine?

MIM
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
They also don't have the cooperation of anyone else in the league. When a team wins 3 titles in a row there is a general consensus among the other franchises that precede all trade logic.

I never really bought that one (well, maybe during the 80s). The Bulls were able to make moves (trade for Rodman, sign Harper, Kukoc, etc.). The Spurs won two of their 4 titles in 8 years by twice trading for starting centers (not MAJOR, but key).

Besides, we haven't won jack in 5 seasons - I don't think organizational hate has that kind of life.

Having lived outside of LA (in three entirely different regions of the country), I can tell you at least from a fanbase perspective, which IMO translates upwards into franchise management, that outside of the Laker fanbase, our guys are pretty much hated by everyone else. Much more so than the Bulls or San Antonio. People outside of La La Land percieve LA as phony glam and glitz while SA etc are saints who can play ball. Face it, the Lakers are the NY Yankees of basketball. And as I mentioned, teams like SA, Pheonix, etc. have been a) clever in the building process, b) lucky, and c) well, I can't think of a c.

Also, I think getting to the finals in 2004 is jack so I would modify that 5 seasons down to 3. Well within the lifespan of organizational hate. I know this has been brought up by myself and many others on this board time and time again but it is worth repeating. How long has it been since the Bulls have been to the finals? An even more drastic example is the Celtics. I don't think we're anywhere near going down that road, but then I'm pretty much an optimist which seems to be a minority position on LG.

I don't buy that argument either, and I've lived different regions of the country as well. Even the Spurs, Mavs, and Suns can find trading partners, and those teams are all annual championship contenders. The Rockets have a Yao and McGrady, and even they can find trading partners. We are further away from championship grade than any of those teams. The team that hates the Laker franchise the most, the Celtics, have even traded with the Lakers.

What you're talking about is fan message board fodder and sports bar talk. That isn't the same when you're a GM, with a career life expectancy of maybe 2 to 4 years. If you can do something to improve your team, you pull the trigger. The only caveat is not to build someone else into a dynasty, but the acid test of facilitating a trade that send KG to the Lakers... well that doesn't make LA a dynasty. It only makes them a contender.

listen to what you're saying.

Houston aint won jack since the Dream.

Dallas hasn't won jack
the suns haven't won jack. DO not be fooled by the glitz of in season wins.

does it really matter how good those teams are on paper if they can't ever win it all? NO.

This is why people will make tons of trades with them. in addition because these teams stock pile talent, that look great on paper. they will always have great trade bait(on paper).

and yes the celtics have traded with us. but what did they do? they jerked us when they made that trade. we should've had banks already. remember that?

The 2 main cogs we need are playing for Celtic GM's

KG-Mchale
JO-Bird

Yes it matters to them. the same way bird still has that sour look on his face when he and magic get together to discuss how magic beat him in college. these are not your average Joe ball players that were allstars. they were Extreme competitors. meaning if you have a rival. its a rival for life. because you always are trying to 1 up the opponent. I dont care if they get together to talk about who has the better $$$portfolio. doesn't matter. Then if you throw in the fact that the lakers are the yankees of basketball. the only difference is that we have never broke the bank just to put a superstar team together.

But there is a severe love hate relationship with the purple and gold. which will translate back into the Gm's office. because if you're dealing with the lake show. you never want to be the guy who gave them the piece they needed to get back to dynasty times again.

thats like giving a falling king his sword, crown, chair, and army back. this is why i keep telling people. as much as i admire the spurs. its still not a dynasty until you win at least one back to back. You have to REIGN. and make people feel it. the world new the lakers were running the league year in and year out. it was laker fans vs BEAT L.A. BEAT L.A.

there is no such chant for any...other... team in the nba. No such chant. why? its serious hate for the city of L.A. outside of the state of california.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
They also don't have the cooperation of anyone else in the league. When a team wins 3 titles in a row there is a general consensus among the other franchises that precede all trade logic. Bring the champs down and keep 'em down. This holds true for the NBA brass as well. The whole system is set up to keep any one franchise from becoming a dynasty and you need a GM who is whole lot more clever than Mitch to play the system.

That being said, as a lifelong Laker fan, I still hold out hope that our FO can pull a rabbit out of its hat. I agree, the Fisher signing may just be the tip of the iceburg. Let's hope.

Great post as usual, Elg.

The league should take a hard look at the salary cap/lux tax. When they see the disastrous ratings produced by the recent finals series, some of which have featured the Spurs who are undoubtedly one of the great pro sports franchises of the past decade, you would think at some point the light bulb would flick on.

That said, Stern is nothing if not shrewd. How he keeps getting these networks to pony up the dough for a product with declining ratings and overall public appeal I have no idea. He must have pictures of some of these network execs...

The league was built on the backs of the Lakers, Celtics, 76ers, Knicks, Bulls...those are the teams that have real nationwide support. The casual fan just doesn't care about the rest of these teams, even a great franchise like the Spurs. Why is the league continuning to insist on a system in which they're trying to make the New Orleans Hornets and Atlanta Hawks equal to the franchises that made the league great?

If the Lakers and Celtics ever wound up facing each other again in the finals, the ratings would be off the charts. The league needs to scrap the salary cap/lux tax, let the big boys spend whatever they want without incurring some devastating financial penalty and then let the chips fall where they may. And if they lose a few of these sad-sack franchises along the way, more the better.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:

Great post as usual, Elg.

The league should take a hard look at the salary cap/lux tax. When they see the disastrous ratings produced by the recent finals series, some of which have featured the Spurs who are undoubtedly one of the great pro sports franchises of the past decade, you would think at some point the light bulb would flick on.

That said, Stern is nothing if not shrewd. How he keeps getting these networks to pony up the dough for a product with declining ratings and overall public appeal I have no idea. He must have pictures of some of these network execs...

The league was built on the backs of the Lakers, Celtics, 76ers, Knicks, Bulls...those are the teams that have real nationwide support. The casual fan just doesn't care about the rest of these teams, even a great franchise like the Spurs. Why is the league continuning to insist on a system in which they're trying to make the New Orleans Hornets and Atlanta Hawks equal to the franchises that made the league great?

If the Lakers and Celtics ever wound up facing each other again in the finals, the ratings would be off the charts. The league needs to scrap the salary cap/lux tax, let the big boys spend whatever they want without incurring some devastating financial penalty and then let the chips fall where they may. And if they lose a few of these sad-sack franchises along the way, more the better.

Amen.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
The league needs to scrap the salary cap/lux tax, let the big boys spend whatever they want without incurring some devastating financial penalty and then let the chips fall where they may. And if they lose a few of these sad-sack franchises along the way, more the better.

By this argument, the luxury tax doesn't matter. The luxury tax doesn't stop the "big boys" from spending whatever they want.

I don't think scrapping the salary cap is the solution. How would you like it, for instance, if Paul Allen, owner of Seattle, said, "What the heck, I am going to throw $2 billion of my vast fortune at this" -- and the Sonics signed Duncan, Garnett, Nash, and Kobe. Would you still be saying, let the chips fall where they may? I doubt it. What you're really saying is your favor a new system that, in your perception, would benefit the team you root for. Who wouldn't?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject:

I don't take McDonnell seriously when he's childishly bashing the Lakers, and I'm not going to take him seriously when he says something like this....even if it's something I want to hear.
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject:

mcdonnell is a joke. OF COURSE the lakers are still trying to make moves. We want KG. We want JO ofr EITHER LO or Drew. What's the mystery? :roll:
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject:

TheQuestForSeventeen wrote:
I don't take McDonnell seriously when he's childishly bashing the Lakers, and I'm not going to take him seriously when he says something like this....even if it's something I want to hear.

It's been very evident, particualrly of late, that Joe has no conections with the Lakers that provide meaningful information. He's been off the mark any time he even starts to talk about what is going on there.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
They also don't have the cooperation of anyone else in the league. When a team wins 3 titles in a row there is a general consensus among the other franchises that precede all trade logic.

I never really bought that one (well, maybe during the 80s). The Bulls were able to make moves (trade for Rodman, sign Harper, Kukoc, etc.). The Spurs won two of their 4 titles in 8 years by twice trading for starting centers (not MAJOR, but key).

Besides, we haven't won jack in 5 seasons - I don't think organizational hate has that kind of life.

Having lived outside of LA (in three entirely different regions of the country), I can tell you at least from a fanbase perspective, which IMO translates upwards into franchise management, that outside of the Laker fanbase, our guys are pretty much hated by everyone else. Much more so than the Bulls or San Antonio. People outside of La La Land percieve LA as phony glam and glitz while SA etc are saints who can play ball. Face it, the Lakers are the NY Yankees of basketball. And as I mentioned, teams like SA, Pheonix, etc. have been a) clever in the building process, b) lucky, and c) well, I can't think of a c.

Also, I think getting to the finals in 2004 is jack so I would modify that 5 seasons down to 3. Well within the lifespan of organizational hate. I know this has been brought up by myself and many others on this board time and time again but it is worth repeating. How long has it been since the Bulls have been to the finals? An even more drastic example is the Celtics. I don't think we're anywhere near going down that road, but then I'm pretty much an optimist which seems to be a minority position on LG.

I don't buy that argument either, and I've lived different regions of the country as well. Even the Spurs, Mavs, and Suns can find trading partners, and those teams are all annual championship contenders. The Rockets have a Yao and McGrady, and even they can find trading partners. We are further away from championship grade than any of those teams. The team that hates the Laker franchise the most, the Celtics, have even traded with the Lakers.

What you're talking about is fan message board fodder and sports bar talk. That isn't the same when you're a GM, with a career life expectancy of maybe 2 to 4 years. If you can do something to improve your team, you pull the trigger. The only caveat is not to build someone else into a dynasty, but the acid test of facilitating a trade that send KG to the Lakers... well that doesn't make LA a dynasty. It only makes them a contender.

Dallas hasn't won jack

does it really matter how good those teams are on paper if they can't ever win it all? NO.

This is why people will make tons of trades with them. in addition because these teams stock pile talent, that look great on paper. they will always have great trade bait(on paper).

and yes the celtics have traded with us. but what did they do? they jerked us when they made that trade. we should've had banks already. remember that?

KG-Mchale
JO-Bird

Yes it matters to them. the same way bird still has that sour look on his face when he and magic get together to discuss how magic beat him in college. these are not your average Joe ball players that were allstars. they were Extreme competitors. meaning if you have a rival. its a rival for life. because you always are trying to 1 up the opponent. I dont care if they get together to talk about who has the better $$$portfolio. doesn't matter. Then if you throw in the fact that the lakers are the yankees of basketball. the only difference is that we have never broke the bank just to put a superstar team together.

But there is a severe love hate relationship with the purple and gold. which will translate back into the Gm's office. because if you're dealing with the lake show. you never want to be the guy who gave them the piece they needed to get back to dynasty times again.

thats like giving a falling king his sword, crown, chair, and army back. this is why i keep telling people. as much as i admire the spurs. its still not a dynasty until you win at least one back to back. You have to REIGN. and make people feel it. the world new the lakers were running the league year in and year out. it was laker fans vs BEAT L.A. BEAT L.A.

there is no such chant for any...other... team in the nba. No such chant. why? its serious hate for the city of L.A. outside of the state of california.

postandpivot wrote:

And we ain't won jack since Shaq. So?

postandpivot wrote:

Dallas hasn't won jack

Yes it does. Certain teams that are either contending, or on the periphery of contending don't want to create a dynasty for another contending team. That leaves out potential trading partners. If anything, it is harder for them to get trades done.

Yet those teams still get trades done. And the team that has won 4 NBA Championships (San Antonio) since 1999 also gets trades done. Amazing how that works.

But our front office can't get trades done. Why?

IT'S A CONSPIRACY!

postandpivot wrote:

GMs make trades with them to improve their own teams. Given the lack of job security among GMs, you'd have to be an idiot to turn down a potential deal that would improve your team, and your prospect of continued employment. This isn't a clerical position. If you get fired, you may never be employed within this business again in that capacity.

postandpivot wrote:

Yes, our GM got screwed. What is your point? Oh, I remember. Teams don't trade with us because we're the Lakers.

So in other words, they don't trade with us because they're afraid of screwing Mitch? Brilliant.

postandpivot wrote:

KG-Mchale
JO-Bird

Your point? Last I checked, Ainge was a Celtic team mate of those two? What was your point again? Oh. Teams don't trade with us because we're the Lakers. Especially if the GM is a former Celtic. But Danny Boy is an exception. Because? Oh, let me guess: Someone didn't tell him about the Conspiracy.

postandpivot wrote:

Read my post again. Only a total homie would believe that pairing KG and Kobe would create a dynasty. A contender, yes. With some solid roster moves, they'd have a window of maybe 3 years or so.

Like Dallas, Phoenix, Houston, and San Antonio. Who get deals done.

You should really live in a place like Boston. They still chant "Beat LA", and the more drunken fools actually buy into some of it. But most Celt fans with a modicum of brain (which includes season ticket holders) couldn't care less, as long as the trade improved the Celtics.

Need proof? Look at the realgm and celtics blog posts that some here have linked. Ninety percent of the Celtic faithful are drooling over the prospect of getting Lamar Odom, in a trade that would give the Lakers Kevin Garnett. That's all the proof you need.

Last edited by angrypuppy on Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
The league needs to scrap the salary cap/lux tax, let the big boys spend whatever they want without incurring some devastating financial penalty and then let the chips fall where they may. And if they lose a few of these sad-sack franchises along the way, more the better.

By this argument, the luxury tax doesn't matter. The luxury tax doesn't stop the "big boys" from spending whatever they want.

I don't think scrapping the salary cap is the solution. How would you like it, for instance, if Paul Allen, owner of Seattle, said, "What the heck, I am going to throw $2 billion of my vast fortune at this" -- and the Sonics signed Duncan, Garnett, Nash, and Kobe. Would you still be saying, let the chips fall where they may? I doubt it. What you're really saying is your favor a new system that, in your perception, would benefit the team you root for. Who wouldn't?

Of course the luxury tax stops owners from spending. It's a dollar-for-dollar penalty for every dollar they're over the cap. If you exceed the cap by $4 mil, now you're out an extra $4 mil in taxes. No business owner in their right mind wants to incur a financial penalty like that. That's why you always hear about teams trying to "get/stay under the cap".

If Paul Allen wanted to spend $2 billion on his ballclub, why not? That would be his right as the owner. And as we've all seen countless times, amassing a veritable all-star team guarantees nothing.

Certainly as a Laker fan, I want to see the Lakers do well but as your Paul Allen scenario points out, they would still have plenty of competition for free agents. Mark Cuban is another big spender who comes to mind.

The point is not what I want to see...it's the overall declining health of the NBA product. Look at baseball...they're desperate for the Yanks-Sawx or a couple of their other marquee franchises. How many people do you think are going to watch the playoffs/world series to see the Kansas Citys, Tampa Bays, Colorados, etc.? Nobody would care. The only league that has continued to thrive with "parity" is the NFL.
froesel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject:

I am not going to get excited about any trades or changes that are rumored. When I see the players in Purple & Gold on opening day, then I will jump, scream, yell, holler and do the happy dance. Our experiences with the FO in the past years have been terrible.

I hope that KG or Artest or JO will be a Laker but I am dreaming.

There is a better change of Shaq being a Laker than KG. I don't want Shaq back but it wouldn't surprise me if it happens.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject:

From Mark Stein:

Quote:
Sorry to disappoint, but there has been very little Kevin Garnett chatter circulating in Vegas. Almost none, really.

If there's a frontrunner to finally pry Garnett away from the Wolves -- or if there's even a clear picture of what the Wolves want now that the highly anticipated 2007 draft is a memory -- this wasn't the place to hear it.

The most definitive declaration we can pass along is the view of one rival executive who says he knows "for a fact" that Minnesota remains intent on making a KG trade before the season starts.

Eighty days and counting ....
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject:

It would be hard to eliminate salary cap in basketball. In baseball, you can buy as many players you want, it doesn't guaruntee you anything. Can you imagine if a wealthy basketball team could buy any free agent they wanted? The difference is, in basketball a couple players make a big difference. Not so much in baseball where you need the entire team from pitching to hitting to defense.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject:

MyKRo wrote:
This could be something big.

This rumor is flying around Celtic forums:

Wolves get:

Bynum
Green
Ratliff
Kwame

Lakers get:

Garnett

Celtics get:

Odom

This trade works in the trade checker, and it makes sense! Minnesota gets 2 nice up and coming players and salary relief. Boston gets Odom for basically Green. The Lakers score The BIG TICKET!

That trade does make sense. I am sure Boston would prefer KG, but at least Odom gives Pierce a sidekick. I would guess there is some window dressing involved for Minny in the form of a couple of #1 picks. Maybe that is why the reported interest by the Lakers for Magloire. He is hardly my favorite choice of starting center, but he could be adequate alongside Kobe and KG.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject:

RYZ wrote:
As long as it wasn't one of Joe's goofy teasers to lure people to the show, it might have some credibility.

I have to believe either Farmar or Crittenton is involved though. Even Mitch, in his obtuse MLE meanderings can't possibly have plans to run both of them out there with D. Fish this year.

Why not? If one needs to be in a trade for KG, then deal them. But otherwise, there is nothing wrong with having two young, promising PGs.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject:

[quote="CabinCreek44"]
Of course the luxury tax stops owners from spending. It's a dollar-for-dollar penalty for every dollar they're over the cap. If you exceed the cap by $4 mil, now you're out an extra $4 mil in taxes. No business owner in their right mind wants to incur a financial penalty like that.
Quote:

But the contradiction is you're saying, Let owners spend whatever they want because some won't care -- but those owners don't want to pay a luxury tax. In a sense, the luxury tax does exactly what you advocate -- owners who don't care what they spend won't mind paying i, which gives them an advantage So if an owner has really deep pockets and doesn't care about the profits of his franchise, the luxury tax is meaningless.

[quote="CabinCreek44"]If Paul Allen wanted to spend $2 billion on his ballclub, why not? That would be his right as the owner. And as we've all seen countless times, amassing a veritable all-star team guarantees nothing.

I disagree. It's not healthy for the league as a whole to have a couple of very rich owners treat it as their play thing while others try to run their franchises as a business. And, also, it really isn't his right as an owner to do whatever he wants. The NBA teams are franchises -- which is a collection of interrelated businesses that agree to abide to a group of rules formed by and designed to benefit the entire group. If Allen wants to start his own league he can do whatever he wanrs. If he wants to own a franchise in the NBA, he has to abide by the rules of the entire group.

CabinCreek44 wrote:
The point is not what I want to see...it's the overall declining health of the NBA product.

I don't see that doing away with the salary cap would change any of the league's fundamental problems. And, also, I doubt Dr. Buss would be in favor of such a change.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: