A Certain Plus-Sized Host: "The Lakers are quietly working on something big."
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
^^^I think that was their plan....the league wanted to limit the ability of elite teams to get even more "elite." They wanted parity. The real question is - is parity good for the league? I think some is, but I am not so sure a lot of it is.

Yeah, but I don't think elite teams should just give up on their own players just for the sake of saving salary too. That's why I think the lux tax is too low.

While Phoenix got a steal in Boris Diaw and other players in trade, they still gave up on a far more talented Joe Johnson in order to stay under the lux tax.

Details like that I find ridiculous.

It's not like elite teams become elite teams overnight. 1 MLE signing isn't going to do that. But at least give leverage to the other playoff teams that are willing to spend in order to get to that point talent-wise.

The playoffs would actually get killer ratings again just from better talent competition.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Len
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject:

The cap and tax system said to be a means of creating a level playing field.

But it also is a system of protecting the owners from themselves. The harsh penalties of the lux tax are enough to keep the cost of labor in check. Stern can't have any teams losing money and closing down.
HoopsLA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject:

The whole CBA is to protect the owner, but it is killing the sport. Look at the finals ratings, I am for some parity, but the only parity it has created is a divisional parity. The West is stacked and tough to get to the finals, the East is weak and anyone can get to the finals. The West is way WAY better than the East, making the finals a joke.

Too many restrictions: Salary Cap, Luxury Tax, Trade Restrictions (have to match salaries), Larry Birds rights, etc etc.

Needs to be simplified.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Len wrote:
The cap and tax system said to be a means of creating a level playing field.

But it also is a system of protecting the owners from themselves. The harsh penalties of the lux tax are enough to keep the cost of labor in check. Stern can't have any teams losing money and closing down.

Worse than having teams lose money... the entire NBA.

The ratings for several years of the playoffs have shown that in the most recent years.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
They also don't have the cooperation of anyone else in the league. When a team wins 3 titles in a row there is a general consensus among the other franchises that precede all trade logic. Bring the champs down and keep 'em down. This holds true for the NBA brass as well. The whole system is set up to keep any one franchise from becoming a dynasty and you need a GM who is whole lot more clever than Mitch to play the system.

That being said, as a lifelong Laker fan, I still hold out hope that our FO can pull a rabbit out of its hat. I agree, the Fisher signing may just be the tip of the iceburg. Let's hope.

^^^Realtalk.net

Truth.com

This is probably the realist statement I've heard about why its so hard for the lakers to make a HUGE deal.

i have a different theory thats based on what we all know to be true.

every good team trying to add missing pieces to a puzzle has skilled "untouchables" that are part of their core group. other guys on the squad cant help them or anyone else win so nobody wants them.

the lakers wont part with kobe and dont want to trade bynum.

if you're a current HAVE NOT team, you wont trade your superstar to the lakers because they'll tell you "kobe's not available but you can have injury prone/under achieving lamar along with a draft pick." get tough and they offer kwame's expiring contract (as if free agents change teams anymore). tougher, they'll throw in cook, or maybe sasha. teams want more than lamar in trade for their superstar.

the message is, you cant have our core but why wont you give us your star? other teams have the same philosphy. dallas, the spurs, heat, rockets. how many good teams trying to get over the top or remain there, will do a block buster warrior/indiana type trade involving their own key players?

i think the reality is, teams arent trying to get tricked into accepting fools gold.
eagles nut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Who's the plus-sized talk-show host? I don't live in LA.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject:

eagles nut wrote:

i live in l.a. and am not sure. joe mcdonell (sp?). steve hartman?
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Of course, that's assuming you think that someone like Jabba the Hutt is just a plus sized creature.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
eagles nut wrote:

Hartman is a pencil-neck.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
eagles nut wrote:

i've never seen him but i recall when they did the "big show" on 690, in the introductions, they said he weight in at 285.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
eagles nut wrote:

i've never seen him but i recall when they did the "big show" on 690, in the introductions, they said he weight in at 285.

Hartman is on TV here on channel 2. He's 50-ish, balding (even with implants), ugly and probably weighs 180, if that much.
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I...in football there are 13 spots on each side of the ball, meaning that amount the 26 "starting" players talent is MUCH MORE spread out.

Not a big football fan, huh?
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
^^^I think that was their plan....the league wanted to limit the ability of elite teams to get even more "elite." They wanted parity. The real question is - is parity good for the league? I think some is, but I am not so sure a lot of it is.

Yeah, but I don't think elite teams should just give up on their own players just for the sake of saving salary too. That's why I think the lux tax is too low.

While Phoenix got a steal in Boris Diaw and other players in trade, they still gave up on a far more talented Joe Johnson in order to stay under the lux tax.

It's not like elite teams become elite teams overnight. 1 MLE signing isn't going to do that. But at least give leverage to the other playoff teams that are willing to spend in order to get to that point talent-wise.

The playoffs would actually get killer ratings again just from better talent competition.

So how would you fix it? Simply raise the Luxury tax? Have luxury tax exceptions for players who have stayed with one team their entire career?
"It’s like going to the Getty and standing in front of Van Gogh’s Irises while some schmuck next to you critiques individual brush strokes. Just shut up already. The more you talk, the more you embarrass yourself."
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject:

LakersInFour wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
I...in football there are 13 spots on each side of the ball, meaning that amount the 26 "starting" players talent is MUCH MORE spread out.

lol, sorry.... 11 and 22, right? I am actually a huge Chargers fan. NBA is my #1 sport, but football comes second. NFL has a longer off-season, allows for more brain farts .

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
LakersInFour wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

lol, sorry.... 11 and 22, right?

correctomundo
F.N.G.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
eagles nut wrote:

Hartman is the pencil neck on TV and on the "Loose Cannons" radio show on X-Tra Sports 570 here in L.A. He has never been on the "Big Show". That is John Ireland (another pencil neck) and Steve "Mason". But you are correct Steve Mason is quite portly. However, he and John Ireland are on ESPN Radio 710 here in L.A.

The "plus-sized talk show host" is probably Joe McDonnell. Howver, didn't he just have Gastric Bypass surgery (his stomach stapled) so that he wouldn't eat so much?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject:

F.N.G. wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
eagles nut wrote:

Hartman is the pencil neck on TV and on the "Loose Cannons" radio show on X-Tra Sports 570 here in L.A. He has never been on the "Big Show". That is John Ireland (another pencil neck) and Steve "Mason". But you are correct Steve Mason is quite portly. However, he and John Ireland are on ESPN Radio 710 here in L.A.

The "plus-sized talk show host" is probably Joe McDonnell. Howver, didn't he just have Gastric Bypass surgery (his stomach stapled) so that he wouldn't eat so much?

The Plus Sized One was so plus sized that he lost a fat guy's worth of weight and still had a fat guy left over ...
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Just hang out at Tommy's and you'll find out.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject:

File this in the DUH column. Of course, for Joey McD, DUH = "BREAKING NEWS"-worthy.
LakersInFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
LakersInFour wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

lol, sorry.... 11 and 22, right? I am actually a huge Chargers fan. NBA is my #1 sport, but football comes second. NFL has a longer off-season, allows for more brain farts .

Really? I'm a huge Chargers fan, also ... cool.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

If I were running the Celtics, I don't know why I'd want Odom when I've got Pierce and Jefferson at forward. It only makes sense if they plan to package Odom somewhere else.

Al-Jeff actually spent more time at C then he did PF last year: Al-Jeff, LO, Pierce, Ray, Rondo

I could also see them bringing out a big lineup in certain situations: Kendrick-AlJeff-LO-Pierce-Ray. Perimeter D suffers but is backed by 2 solid shot blockers. There's also no true PG in that lineup but LO could serve as the distributor part-time.
buck
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
eagles nut wrote:

I still remember walking by press row at Pauley Pavilion my freshman year and seeing Two seats reserved for Joe McDonell while all the other reporters only had one. I was puzzled by this until I saw the largest man ever walk into Pauley Pavilion. This guy was so big you couldn't help but look at him. Anyway I watched him struggle to his seat which was you guessed it on press row. Let's just say after that it made a whole lot of sense why Big Joe had two seats. So I am guessing the plus sized host is Big Joe.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject:

F.N.G. wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
eagles nut wrote:

you're absolutely right. i got my steves mixed up. yes joe mcD keeps talking about how gastric bypass saved his life so i wonder how much he weighs now. i have no clue what he looks like. i'll take someone's word for it that he's still big.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject:

LakersInFour wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

So how would you fix it? Simply raise the Luxury tax? Have luxury tax exceptions for players who have stayed with one team their entire career?

Have a luxury tax system that increases the penalty the higher you go. For example....a 25/50/75/100% tax going up the higher your total salaries are. That way if you go over barely, say by 2 million, you're only penalized 25%. This way teams wouldn't be so frightened of going over a little in order to keep a player or sign another.
Pappy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
eagles nut wrote:

285! try the 400 club, the guy once weighed easily over 400lbs. he since has had bypass surgery, so who really knows what his weight is now? maybe upper 2's is more accurate now.

however you feel about him, that was a good move for health sake!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: