NEW- ESPN TAKE ON KWAME BROWN - A GOOD READ
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did we make the right move by getting Kwame?
Yes. He was put it a tough situation in D.C. He is gonna get better.
59%
 59%  [ 164 ]
Maybe, At least we didn't give up a first round pick.
32%
 32%  [ 88 ]
No, This guy is no good.
8%
 8%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 275

Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject:

El Ocho wrote:

the lakers are not down often, and when they are its not for long. remember people not too long ago we played ceballos, jones and van exel and got stomped every night.

After we drafted Eddie Jones, we made the playoffs again and never missed the playoffs again until this past year. Eddie Jones' rookie year in particular, we almost upset the Spurs in the 2nd round. We were the 5th seed and we also upset Seattle in the 1st round.

The only years we really got stomped were 91-92 (year Magic retired), 92-93 (Worthy on the decline and barely made the playoffs w/ record below 500) 93-94 (missed playoffs completely).

After those 3 years, we were playoff contenders immediately with the lineup of Nick, Eddie, Ceballos, Elden, and Vlade.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject:

I really hope he doesnt get further abuse from players like Kobe,MJ's method of bringing success didnt work so kobe should try a different way than to insult him.
mtzen
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject:

freshprince wrote:
[NO CLASS, IMMATURE COMMENTARY DELETED]

You should be ashamed of yourself.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Man Jordone is such an (bleep) its not even funny.
phanb
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject:

I don't see why people are hating on this trade... I think Butler was good and could have been great but we can't have all our depth at one position and realistically he's not a good enough creator flourish at PG... we've gotten a quality big man and cleared up some of the backlog at the SF position... and we've cleared room for Wafer & Parker to possibly be signed by getting rid of Atkins...

Getting rid of Chucky alone should make this deal a winner....
chucky4prez
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject:

This is a great trade, Give kwame brown 35 minutes and about 15 shots a night and I guarantee he will produce night in and night out, Especially with the focal point of the defense being concentrated on Kobe and Lamar Kwame will have a easier time scoring. Furthermore I think he will step up his game playing a great Power forward almost every game now that he is in the west. TREMENDOUS UPSIDE POTENTIAL!!
RoughneckPS3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject:

freshprince wrote:

Stupid post. Wishing bodily injury to someone is horrible. Especially someone whose livelihood relies on his being able to play basketball.

You sir, deserve a demotion.

(Yeah, I'm a noob. So what? Fortunately after spending the past 3 seasons at the ESPN boards I found out about Lakersground)
chucky4prez
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Also to every1 bashing on this kid before uve seen him perform for us, Plz keep Mum whether u are for or against this trade, You should be standing behind because whats done is done and no matter what happens next season will be better than last
phanb
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Interesting Point by Doug Collins

Years ago, when talking about the influx of young NBA players, and Kwame specifically, Doug Collins said, "My biggest concern is, you develop them, and then they go somewhere else. You put three years into them, and they resent it. And about the time they're ready to be stars, they leave you."
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject:

This article should be required reading for all of those people who canonize Jordan, but then bag on Kobe about being a horrible team player, someone who doesn't treat his teammates right. Every sportswriter should have to repeat Jordan's comments, then compare and contrast to the way Kobe treated Lamar and our dear departed Caron when they came to the team...
RoughneckPS3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject:

phanb wrote:

Years ago, when talking about the influx of young NBA players, and Kwame specifically, Doug Collins said, "My biggest concern is, you develop them, and then they go somewhere else. You put three years into them, and they resent it. And about the time they're ready to be stars, they leave you."

Consider my fingers officially crossed.

Man...a front line if Mihm, KB and LO...
7'
6'11"
6'10"

That's a pretty big fricken front court. All we need from Kwame is to average 10 points, 12 rebounds and 1 or 2 blocks a game. Phil should be able to get that out of him.

On a side note: Kwame must have done something REAAAAAALLLLYYY bad to get sent packing when it's obvious his basketball skills will continue to get better.
Mad Professor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject:

freshprince wrote:

Wow. Someone needs some action.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject:

RoughneckPS3 wrote:
phanb wrote:

Consider my fingers officially crossed.

Man...a front line if Mihm, KB and LO...
7'
6'11"
6'10"

That's a pretty big fricken front court. All we need from Kwame is to average 10 points, 12 rebounds and 1 or 2 blocks a game. Phil should be able to get that out of him.

On a side note: Kwame must have done something REAAAAAALLLLYYY bad to get sent packing when it's obvious his basketball skills will continue to get better.

12 rebounds? Is that all? You're crazy. I'm not expecting more than 10 points 7 rebounds. Rebounding is all heart. That's why a 6'8" center like Ben Wallace can lead the league in rebounding. When that ball is up in the air he wants it more than anyone else. Kwame hasn't shown he has that kind of desire. He has the physical gifts to easily lead the league in rebounding. He's like a Kevin Garnett on steroids. BUT, it takes more than physical gifts.

That being said, a front court of Mihm, Brown and Odom will get its share of boards. There aren't many teams in the NBA that can compete with 3 near 7-footers crashing the boards. If LO and Mihm can both average 7 boards a game as well, which is very reasonable, then that's a solid front line. Turiaf can come in and provide 3 or 4 boards a game, Bynum will get 2 or 3, JJ or Devean will get a couple boards. There's a lot of length there for sure. But is there heart? We'll find out.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject:

OX1947 wrote:
Let him play 40 min and give him the ball. You do not learn in practice or watching tape. Only game play getsmake you learn how to play in the game. Everything else is just preperation. I really hope for his sake that he does well.

give him the ball? i didn't know we were acquiring him for his scoring. isn't that kobe/lamar's role? I thought we needed a pf to rebound/blockshots/playdefense, etc. but you're right, that's just what the problem is going to be...not enough touches to go around. that's just what the trouble was in DC.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject:

RoughneckPS3 wrote:

Man...a front line of Mihm, KB and LO...
7'
6'11"
6'10"

That's a pretty big fricken front court.

yeah, big, soft as butter, and none of them play defense worth a damn. :roll: it's amazing how many are jumping on the kwame bandwagon. I think I'll wait til he actually proves he can do something out there. and boy do I hope i'm wrong.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject:

karlmalonefan wrote:
OX1947 wrote:
Let him play 40 min and give him the ball. You do not learn in practice or watching tape. Only game play getsmake you learn how to play in the game. Everything else is just preperation. I really hope for his sake that he does well.

give him the ball? i didn't know we were acquiring him for his scoring. isn't that kobe/lamar's role? I thought we needed a pf to rebound/blockshots/playdefense, etc. but you're right, that's just what the problem is going to be...not enough touches to go around. that's just what the trouble was in DC.

Yup, history has shown that if Kwame doesn't touch the ball, he loses interest in the game. If the big dog don't get fed, he can't guard the...
startrex
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:
freshprince wrote:

That is a horrible, ridiculous post. Yopu should be ashamed, whether you like the trade or not. Just pathetic.

Wow, it's to expect an injury from ANY player.
I am mixed about the trade. I initially didn't like it. But I'll give Kwame a chance after the hard time he has. Actually, Kobe maybe the one who can understand Kwame because of "it's always Kobe fault" experience.

Welcome to Lakers Kwame. I hope you develop to be what PJ or Mithch was projecting you to be.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Mercboyz wrote:
He can only go up from here

not true. he could be worse and he could stay the same. both are just as likely as him improving.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject:

freshprince can consider himself lucky, to still be a member of this board. Typically... I let the members of the board take care of moron-type comments, wishing injury on others. I took the brunt of my own abuse when making a tongue-in-cheek comment in regards to Lardass... err Snaq. However, when that is directed towards one of our own... you've definately crossed the line. If I ever see that kind of (bleep) on the board again, there won't be any warning... won't be a suspension. You can just find your ass a new home.
shane
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject:

freshprince wrote:

(You know... when its wishing injury on a rival player... that's bad enough. When its one of your own... that's inexucasble. Take that crap elsewhere. Only warning you're going to get. - JD)

JD wrote:
freshprince can consider himself lucky, to still be a member of this board. Typically... I let the members of the board take care of moron-type comments, wishing injury on others. I took the brunt of my own abuse when making a tongue-in-cheek comment in regards to Lardass... err Snaq. However, when that is directed towards one of our own... you've definately crossed the line. If I ever see that kind of (bleep) on the board again, there won't be any warning... won't be a suspension. You can just find your ass a new home.

i'm not complaining, because i love this site, but sometimes i do think people (and mods) on here take things a little too seriously. prince has always seemed like a cool dude and i'm sure he didn't really mean that crap about the torn ACL or whatever. foolish comment? sure. but was it really worth taking so seriously or threatening banning over? dude has contributed hundreds upon hundreds of quality posts.

i'd still gladly take censorship over the alternative (eg, clublakers vibe), but give the guy a break. lol.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject:

shane wrote:

i'm not complaining, because i love this site, but sometimes i do think people (and mods) on here take things a little too seriously. prince has always seemed like a cool dude and i'm sure he didn't really mean that crap about the torn ACL or whatever. foolish comment? sure. but was it really worth taking so seriously or threatening banning over? dude has contributed hundreds upon hundreds of quality posts.

i'd still gladly take censorship over the alternative (eg, clublakers vibe), but give the guy a break. lol.

When I'm taking a vote... I'll let you know.
shane
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
When I'm taking a vote... I'll let you know.

lol

i wouldn't have expected any other response
hapn14
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Fresh Prince is just like my brother.Just cause he loves caron he says i hope kwame gets injured. And now i love the wizards now i hate the lakers.

Get Well Soon Ronny!!

LetsGo Pats!! (5-4)
Let Go Sox!!Stay Faitfull RSN Well have a nice offseason coming up!
Lets Go Lakers!! (4-4)Lac Going Down Tonight
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Lakerfan1-Iceland
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: b

New here.
But i have too say im surpriced that this trade is getting such a good response...

Personally i dont like this trade at all, we could have gotten something better than Kwame for Butler!
Someone that we know will at least show up and play hard, play decent D and rebound some.

With Kwame we dont know what were getting!

I have a feeling next christmas Laker fans will look at the Wizards and see Caron playin very well while Brown will be seeing a lot of the Bench.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: b

Lakerfan1-Iceland wrote:

Personally i dont like this trade at all, we could have gotten something better than Kwame for Butler!
Someone that we know will at least show up and play hard, play decent D and rebound some.

This has got to be about the hundredth time someone has made this statement. To date... not a single one of you has offered up a reasonable alternate scenario.

NEWSFLASH: Caron has been on the block since about midway thru last season. If he was going to fetch better... HE WOULD HAVE BY NOW.

Face it... his value wasn't what some of you to believe it to be.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: