"Anybody would love to play with Kobe," - Carmelo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
This is exactly why noone without a perfect opinion on Kobe likes to post here or in these sort of threads. They get totally turned into something else.

Actually, it's because it's either one side of the story or the other. Nothing truly objective that weighs both sides relatively equal.

I purposely try to avoid your posts, especially this previous year.

Well if you are, you're not doing a good job of it. You're quoting me and replying back in many threads.

It could be that neither side is fair or it could that one side can not handle a single non-complimentary word about their hero/idol.

But it doesn't have to be said in such a spiteful manner.

I know Kobe doesn't look all hero-ish after this summer. I know he's stubborn and made plenty of mistakes. But that doesn't explain why there are plenty of NBA players that want to play for the Lakers. It's not like Kobe is pushing them away. As far as I'm concerned, Kobe has issues with the mentally weak or have weak work ethic. Can't blame him for that. Atkins. Walker. Personally, I'd be real ticked at my team too with the "give up" attitude smack in the middle of the 1st round of the playoffs. No wonder why he wanted out. There've been enough teammates who've played alongside Kobe to know it's not an issue.

Of all people, Derek Fisher is the best proof.

Derek Fisher - "I would play with Kobe forever." (or something to that effect)
Mike@LG

Quote:
Doesn't pretty much every team have players that are mentally weak or have poor work ethic?

Name players in the starting 5 of Detroit, San Antonio, or Dallas that are mentally weak or have poor work ethic.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

wolfpaclaker wrote:
@ all the panties in wads here over my post. Classic !

Caron did say that and it's a fact, you can spin Caron into a nobody loser that puts up stats.

But let me spin this for you.

Kobe Bryant's team since big fatty left.

34 wins
45 wins
42 wins

Great stats. Mediocre team. Is he an overrated stat guy too based on the last 3 years too?

I wouldn't think so and calling Caron a stat guy when he's a proven all-star in the east is sad. Caron is a good talent. Lamar is a very good talent. Shaq was a GREAT talent. All 3 have had issues playing alongside Kobe Bean Bryant. Does that mean Kobe can not be played alongside? Nope. Never said that. However it is tougher to play around a superstar like Kobe. This is a very real issue and has been for a long time.

Deal with it. Bring up names of players that have all-star or more talent that haven't played with Kobe and I bring up the guys that actually have.

And ofcourse now some will say that Shaq, LO and Caron have no talent or spin it into them doing something wrong on the court. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Must've dreamt how Lamar had no problems in Miami with Wade and Shaq won a 4th ring with him. Some guys just have issues with using their teammates to their best interests and Kobe is one of them. It isn't the end of the world to admit that.

Dude, I've always considered you one of my favorite posters on this site. I think you're a decent guy. But you seem really angry of late.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dude, I've always considered you one of my favorite posters on this site. I think you're a decent guy. But you seem really angry of late.

Like I said. Spiteful.

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
But it doesn't have to be said in such a spiteful manner.

You are right. Ideally I would say things in a much better way. I agree that things have been said that shouldn't have to the extent they have.

But here's my issue with this point brought up.

What about the spite and flat out hatred there is for other players? Why is their no concern for that?

It seems that the rest of the team can be talked about as trash as the FO and basically the entire franchise. But when someone talks about Kobe in that way, boom.

Basically, what you have said with I agree. But how about you say that to all the posters that love to hear how great Kobe is, but love posting and defending posters that trash the rest of the Lakers?

The most spite I see is for the rest of the Lakers.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Like I said. Spiteful.

Very.

And it goes back to the monitor throwing incident (allegedly).
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Name players in the starting 5 of Detroit, San Antonio, or Dallas that are mentally weak or have poor work ethic.

Sheed
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Quote:

Sheed

So you named 1 guy of 15 NBA players. Thing about Sheed is, he is consistent, excels in his 3rd option role well, and plays both ends of the floor.

He's always been a borderline All-Star type if he just applied himself.

Sheed however, isn't as mentally weak or has a poor work ethic compared to say, Kwame Brown, Smush Parker, Samaki Walker, and Chucky Atkins. All guys who have started for the Lakers.

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Like I said. Spiteful.

Very.

Actually since you have brought this up a few times, it goes back to the 2004-2005 season when I saw the best team chemistry and cohesiveness when Bryant was out with the anke injury.

That was the first time I realized or it got into my head that what Shaq was saying about Kobe could be right. Since then, there have been many other factors but since you keep talking about when it started for me to doubt his "greatness" as a team player, that was it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Like I said. Spiteful.

Very.

Actually since you have brought this up a few times, it goes back to the 2004-2005 season when I saw the best team chemistry and cohesiveness when Bryant was out with the anke injury.

That was the first time I realized or it got into my head that what Shaq was saying about Kobe could be right. Since then, there have been many other factors but since you keep talking about when it started for me to doubt his "greatness" as a team player, that was it.

That's funny. I thought that the best team chemistry and cohesion was the 00-01 season when the team went 15-1 WITH BRYANT in the playoffs. But I guess you and I have different views about what success is.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject:

Please....they had so-called team chemistry and cohesion for about a half dozen games.

Then the loses start piling up.

Then the injuries started piling up.

And that was the season.

I noticed you talked about chemistry, not actual SUCCESS. Winning is still the goal, right?? Maybe not.

Or do you just want everyone circling the bonfire holding hands singing Kumbaya??
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject:

dmills wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Like I said. Spiteful.

Very.

That's funny. I thought that the best team chemistry and cohesion was the 00-01 season when the team went 15-1 WITH BRYANT in the playoffs. But I guess you and I have different views about what success is.

He didn't say anything about success. That's not important to Wolfy.

As long as everybody likes everybody and nobody ever gets their itty bitty feelings hurt, who cares about winning.
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
Please....they had so-called team chemistry and cohesion for about a half dozen games.

Then the loses start piling up.

Then the injuries started piling up.

And that was the season.

I noticed you talked about chemistry, not actual SUCCESS. Winning is still the goal, right?? Maybe not.

Or do you just want everyone circling the bonfire holding hands singing Kumbaya??

I remember that too. I guess he would rather lose with great "team players" then win with selfish ballhogs. :roll:
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:

As opposed to Shaq's team play of not guarding the fence when not being fed... smack in the middle of the 2004 Finals...

Only to have Tex Winter get gametape, examine the game, and saying that Shaq got plenty of touches. He just didn't get in as deep position.

NBAFan07
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject:

way to hang in there and fight Wolf, I happen to agree with you.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject:

More spin.

I'm saying that the ultimate goal is to play like that WITH Kobe. However it rarely happens. If the guys and team played liked that with Kobe, you are looking at a team that is close to competing for the title. Maybe 1 player + experience away.

Instead what I've seen is that they are a .500 team with a one man show Kobe. And they are a .500 team without Kobe but the other guys stepping up.

Rarely have you seen it all come together with Kobe and them. Yes it happened in 2001, but that was what 6 years ago and it was Shaq's team.

For once I'd like to see it come together when it's Kobe's team. And people will say early last season. Well, it wasn't Kobe's team the whole training camp + early regular season. Exactly why it was working so well. The other guys got to play as big parts of the team. Once the injuries happened, Kobe had to take a bigger role and once they came back again they were spectators moreso. No, I'm not blaming him for last season's mess of an ending but it seems the Lakers play their best as a team when he is out.

And you guys talk about 2001. Shaq's team and it took Kobe sitting OUT, watching as Shaw filled in for him and the team won without him easily to come back and be a team player. Just like it took him the entire camp and watching LO rape the Suns on opening night to realize he had teammates that were worth using.

With Kobe it's forced. It's not natural being a teammate and using others. It is his biggest weakness and maybe always will be. All players have some weaknesses and this is his. Ofcourse I don't expect you guys to ever accept that.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject:

I see both sides. Certainly, I don't feel Kobe's prescence pushes away any players from coming to LA...that is ludicrous. NBA players go where the money is and the Lakers bonehead decisions have not left them with enough money to lure quality players. Classic cases of overvaluing their own marginal players, again and again.

However, Kobe has not been playing to his max level for quite a while now. I have posted many times about his defense, I won't bother with it again here but let's just say it could and should be a hell of a lot better.

His offense is great, but also spotty at times with those bad shooting games on lots of attempts. I also think he has fallen too much in love with the jumper and needs to drive the ball more, even if the Donaghy's of the world are swallowing their whistles and/or fixing the games.

I kind of agree with Steve Hartman when he says Kobe is not a leader. He isn't the type of guy that inspires others to follow his example, for whatever reason. I personally think it is somewhat Kobe's fault for not getting his teammates involved at times, but the even bigger blame has to lie with scrub teammates (Walton, Vujacic, Smush, Bynum, Brown, etc) who are more than happy to let Kobe do all the work.

These other guys make NBA money, it is time that they start showing some heart and game and playing like it.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject:

Is it Kobe's fault that other players defer to him to the point that he has to carry the offense, as he did in '05 and late last season? Is it his fault that Lamar Odom would rather watch Kobe than watch Kobe create an opportunity for himself? Is it Kobe's fault that the '04-'05 team was so misbalanced that it was BETTER to not have another player looking to score 20+ points when there was already 4 players needing the ball in their hands in the starting lineup?

And my point wasn't that Caron sucked. He is what he is. A good player that puts up numbers on a bad team. As YOU yourself have been screaming the last few days to anyone that would listen, "Mike James put up 20PPG and 6APG in Toronto."

Kobe may be on a bad team, but the way in which he gets his numbers is far different than anything Caron "I'm still just another dime a dozen SF" Butler does. He's a nice garbage man, iso player. He's bad at playing within a system, because he doesn't get his touches and then sulks with his energy level.

Is that Kobe's fault, too?

Put a team with players that all are highly competitive and with great motors, and Kobe will give you a title.

Too bad LA has Bynum, Odom, Radman, and Kwame on the team for at least another year likely.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I see both sides. Certainly, I don't feel Kobe's prescence pushes away any players from coming to LA...that is ludicrous. NBA players go where the money is and the Lakers bonehead decisions have not left them with enough money to lure quality players. Classic cases of overvaluing their own marginal players, again and again.

However, Kobe has not been playing to his max level for quite a while now. I have posted many times about his defense, I won't bother with it again here but let's just say it could and should be a hell of a lot better.

His offense is great, but also spotty at times with those bad shooting games on lots of attempts. I also think he has fallen too much in love with the jumper and needs to drive the ball more, even if the Donaghy's of the world are swallowing their whistles and/or fixing the games.

I kind of agree with Steve Hartman when he says Kobe is not a leader. He isn't the type of guy that inspires others to follow his example, for whatever reason. I personally think it is somewhat Kobe's fault for not getting his teammates involved at times, but the even bigger blame has to lie with scrub teammates (Walton, Vujacic, Smush, Bynum, Brown, etc) who are more than happy to let Kobe do all the work.

These other guys make NBA money, it is time that they start showing some heart and game and playing like it.

I think you're being fair in your assessments. That's not to say I agree with everything, but it's fair. Great post.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

They start the season off with Kobe allowing everyone to share in the responsibility. They all come back from injury, and it's '05 all over again with everyone acting like they don't know the Triangle and/or are afraid of shooting, so why deal with the pressure of trying to get the team back into the hunt when Kobe can do it for us.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject:

it's always someone else's fault isn't it MB?
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject:

Put Caron Butler on this team in place of Odom. Start Turiaf. Trade Bynum for a guy with a great motor. Start Crittenton at PG.

That team goes farther than the team does now.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject:

Why?

Because you've replaced all the players lacking motors with players that have great motors. The way to best utilize Kobe Bryant is to have players that simply compete and always look to put THEMSELVES in the best scoring position. Butler puts up a better defensive effort, because he gets his touches and is the true 2nd option - something he was NEVER going to be as long as Chucky Atkins and LO were on the team with he and Kobe.

Why I was adamant that LO be shipped before Butler.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject:

MB i realize "motor" is your new word of the day to insult every laker not named kobe...but you're running the word into the ground.

so butler getting enough touches is Lo and chucky's fault...never He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Criticized.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Quote:

Sheed

So you named 1 guy of 15 NBA players. Thing about Sheed is, he is consistent, excels in his 3rd option role well, and plays both ends of the floor.

He's always been a borderline All-Star type if he just applied himself.

Sheed however, isn't as mentally weak or has a poor work ethic compared to say, Kwame Brown, Smush Parker, Samaki Walker, and Chucky Atkins. All guys who have started for the Lakers.

If Sheed fulfilled his potential, we wouldn't be talking about Duncan and KG as the best 4s in the league. Defensively, he's right there with both Duncan and KG. Offensively, his post game is right there with Duncan's, and his perimeter game is right there with KG's. The only areas where he's noticeably trumped by KG and Duncan are in the rebounding and assist departments.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10
Jump to: