"Anybody would love to play with Kobe," - Carmelo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Quote:
Name players in the starting 5 of Detroit, San Antonio, or Dallas that are mentally weak or have poor work ethic.

Sheed

So you named 1 guy of 15 NBA players. Thing about Sheed is, he is consistent, excels in his 3rd option role well, and plays both ends of the floor.

He's always been a borderline All-Star type if he just applied himself.

Sheed however, isn't as mentally weak or has a poor work ethic compared to say, Kwame Brown, Smush Parker, Samaki Walker, and Chucky Atkins. All guys who have started for the Lakers.

If Sheed fulfilled his potential, we wouldn't be talking about Duncan and KG as the best 4s in the league. Defensively, he's right there with both Duncan and KG. Offensively, his post game is right there with Duncan's, and his perimeter game is right there with KG's. The only areas where he's noticeably trumped by KG and Duncan are in the rebounding and assist departments.

He's still leaps and bounds better and mentally tougher than anything we got. And that's the point. If Sheed is the weakest out of that bunch (SA, Detroit, Dallas) we are in trouble.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject:

When Atkins is trying to earn his next contract and trying to do his best to average his highest career PPG, then yes, Butler's lack of touches is based on Atkins and Odom's simply being better than him.

There were simply not enough balls to go around on a team chock full of players that like to play with the ball.

Guys with motors on this team: Turiaf, Kobe, Mihm, Walton, Farmar, Crittenton, Sasha though he sucks, and Evans.

The rest? Far too often, you catch them standing around doing a lot of watching. Notice what happens on the Cavs when LeBron is standing in one spot dribbling, dribbling some more, dribbling some more? Varejao, Gooden, or SOMEBODY finds an opening to put THEMSELVES in a position to score.

Walton, Turiaf, Mihm, and the rest do that far more often than the players I failed to name who choose to stand in one spot expecting Kobe to do something amazing so they can say, "God put him on Earth so that we could watch him play basketball."

And that's a direct Odom quote. Key word being "watch".
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
smoothCbutla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Quote:
Name players in the starting 5 of Detroit, San Antonio, or Dallas that are mentally weak or have poor work ethic.

Sheed

So you named 1 guy of 15 NBA players. Thing about Sheed is, he is consistent, excels in his 3rd option role well, and plays both ends of the floor.

Sheed however, isn't as mentally weak or has a poor work ethic compared to say, Kwame Brown, Smush Parker, Samaki Walker, and Chucky Atkins. All guys who have started for the Lakers.

On the contrary, you narrowed it down to 3 teams out of 30, 5 players out of 15, and listed players as far back as Samaki Walker while limiting it to this year's starting five elsewhere.

Furthermore, I would love to include Nazr on the Pistons, Diop and Dampier on the Mavs, put Jason Terry and Chris Webber on the middle of the fence, and include George for the 17 games he started. And a big shotout to Rasho for his years with the Spurs.
Same coach, same game, been starting
Same triangle offense"

Last edited by smoothCbutla on Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:

Walton, Turiaf, Mihm, and the rest do that far more often than the players I failed to name who choose to stand in one spot expecting Kobe to do something amazing so they can say, "God put him on Earth so that we could watch him play basketball."

one could argue that kobe's massaging of the ball leaves odom without a choice in the matter. your "motor" shtick has nothing to do with it.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
MB i realize "motor" is your new word of the day to insult every laker not named kobe...but you're running the word into the ground.

so butler getting enough touches is Lo and chucky's fault...never He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Criticized.

Butler not getting enough touches was Rudy T's fault. He instituted the iso, drive-n-kick offense. When you have the best iso player on the planet, guess who's going to get the most iso opportunities? LO and Caron aren't spot-up shooters, so it was unnatural for them to find the open spots on the floor to get their shots. The 2 natural spot-up shooters - Cook and Chucky - knew where to be, and as a result, they got a lot of touches that Caron and LO should've gotten - far more than they should've.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

one could argue that kobe's massaging of the ball leaves odom without a choice in the matter. your "motor" shtick has nothing to do with it.

And yet, Kobe was begging for someone to step up and take initiative, only to watch LO go back to being passive ol' LO when he came back from injury.

Why did Luke Walton have no trouble finding shots or the ability to still playmake? Because he competes, has good hoop IQ, and a very good motor.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

MB is the ying to wolf's yang. With that being said, I think that being an effective off-the-ball player requires one to have a good "motor". However, I don't know if that's necessarily the problem with Odom since he's a guy who plays best with the ball in his hands. I just think that he doesn't know how to play without the ball.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
ocho wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

And yet, Kobe was begging for someone to step up and take initiative, only to watch LO go back to being passive ol' LO when he came back from injury.

Why did Luke Walton have no trouble finding shots or the ability to still playmake? Because he competes, has good hoop IQ, and a very good motor.

and odom does? he scores more points, gets more boards and more assists than walton. i guess his "motor" is pretty good (honestly you need a new word). and that's with kobe taking that many shots.
smoothCbutla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject:

motor

sorry i felt left out
Same coach, same game, been starting
Same triangle offense"
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
ocho wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

MB is the ying to wolf's yang. With that being said, I think that being an effective off-the-ball player requires one to have a good "motor". However, I don't know if that's necessarily the problem with Odom since he's a guy who plays best with the ball in his hands. I just think that he doesn't know how to play without the ball.

"motor" is a term that this poster has decided to use so he can insult odom. odom, the one guy who stepped up in the playoffs while all the other guys he mentioned with "good motors" DIDN'T. thats why i take offense because it's a BS term and a BS criticism.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject:

And the reason I'm on the "motor" schtick is that I KNOW and openly admit that you can't just put any twelve guys beside of Kobe. You HAVE to have players that love to compete and allow the moment to take them over to the point that they don't worry about letting Kobe "handle everything" when the (bleep) hits the fan.

It is hard to build around Kobe, but not nearly as hard as the FO has made it by continuing to hold onto players that simply are bad fits.

You can't play in fear of messing up if you're on Kobe's team. You simply can't. You have to be willing to take your share of the load and just go to work. Otherwise, as Phil Jackson said in one of his books, paraphrasing of course, "Kobe is willing to let other players assume the role in the spotlight. If they can't handle the pressure of the spotlight, Kobe is more than willing to step in and assume the responsibility. He's very much like Michael in that sense."

Now, how did the Bulls build a winner around MJ?

Players that simply loved to compete, didn't stop competing just because they weren't getting touches, etc.

The motor is the key to playing alongside Kobe.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
ocho wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

"motor" is a term that this poster has decided to use so he can insult odom. odom, the one guy who stepped up in the playoffs while all the other guys he mentioned with "good motors" DIDN'T. thats why i take offense because it's a BS term and a BS criticism.

Odom's simply a better player than Luke. Just showing you that Walton has no trouble finding his way to a consistent amount of touches and shots. So, why does Odom have so much trouble with it?

Also, Odom stepped up huge in the playoffs, as he always does. But on a team lacking talent, it'd be nice if the 2nd option would consistently step up in the regular season, as well. It'd really go a long way to letting role players play with less pressure.

But hey, assuming Odom to do anything consistently, besides going left, is too much apparently.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

Thank you....

That may change this season though... Kobe may have said just enough to inspire more distribution in the tri this season...

In fact should that happen as I anticipate, it should be Kobe, not Jackson who should be given COY honors!
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
And the reason I'm on the "motor" schtick is that I KNOW and openly admit that you can't just put any twelve guys beside of Kobe. You HAVE to have players that love to compete and allow the moment to take them over to the point that they don't worry about letting Kobe "handle everything" when the (bleep) hits the fan.

It is hard to build around Kobe, but not nearly as hard as the FO has made it by continuing to hold onto players that simply are bad fits.

You can't play in fear of messing up if you're on Kobe's team. You simply can't. You have to be willing to take your share of the load and just go to work. Otherwise, as Phil Jackson said in one of his books, paraphrasing of course, "Kobe is willing to let other players assume the role in the spotlight. If they can't handle the pressure of the spotlight, Kobe is more than willing to step in and assume the responsibility. He's very much like Michael in that sense."

Now, how did the Bulls build a winner around MJ?

Players that simply loved to compete, didn't stop competing just because they weren't getting touches, etc.

The motor is the key to playing alongside Kobe.

I have a feeling that you will be getting your wish this season... However when the crying starts about Bryant not getting enough touches?
Don't you say a word...
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject:

Bryant needs as little touches as possible this season, Shoes. I would LOVE for things to go back to the way they were early last season with Odom and the rest all feeling a sense of responsibility as if they DO have to perform every night regardless of what Kobe is doing.

I just doubt it. Would love to be surprised.

I'm so against Kobe having to run himself ragged trying to carry a team that likes to stand around as he does all the heavy-lifting, that I'm not opposed to him sitting the season out and letting the season unfold as it may.

At least then, I'd have a glimmer of hope that the organization could bridge Kobe's window with the young guys'.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject:

Ruben Patterson has a good motor. And he averaged more points last season than Luke Walton with NO plays being run for him.

Motor it up Mitchell!
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
ocho wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

Actually, MB uses the term "motor" more specifically with regards to Bynum. He also used it a lot with regards to Smush. I think he's using it too liberally now especially when it comes to Odom. However, I think MB knows deep down inside that there's nothing wrong with Odom's motor. The real issue is Odom's offensive mindset - passive vs. aggressive.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject:

smoothCbutla wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Quote:

Sheed

On the contrary, you narrowed it down to 3 teams out of 30, 5 players out of 15, and listed players as far back as Samaki Walker while limiting it to this year's starting five elsewhere.

Furthermore, I would love to include Nazr on the Pistons, Diop and Dampier on the Mavs, put Jason Terry and Chris Webber on the middle of the fence, and include George for the 17 games he started. And a big shotout to Rasho for his years with the Spurs.

I picked Finals teams for a reason.

I also want to point out that, during the championship seasons, the Lakers didn't really have mentally weak starting players in the lineup. All 3 teams. What saddens me most is, it's just 1 guy in each lineup. Not 2. And those 2 guys on the Lakers do not contribute anything near as much as the guys listed above.

Kobe didn't have too much of an issue with Shaq when Shaq worked hard. It's when he didn't and it showed on the W/L column that he did really.

Fisher, Harper, Grant, Shaq, Horry, Fox, Bryant. Guys Bryant didn't have an issue with when they worked hard and stepped up. These guys didn't give up, even when they were down 16 points to Portland late in the 3rd Game 7.

Contrast that to the team of the Laker playoffs. Half of them gave up in the middle of the series. I have an opinion on who those guys are.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.

Last edited by Mike@LG on Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
ocho wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
ocho wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

Actually, MB uses the term "motor" more specifically with regards to Bynum. He also used it a lot with regards to Smush. I think he's using it too liberally now especially when it comes to Odom. However, I think MB knows deep down inside that there's nothing wrong with Odom's motor. The real issue is Odom's offensive mindset - passive vs. aggressive.

odom is too passive at times i'll admit that. there are flaws in every players game. i just object to this "motor" business because it's now being applied to everyone except He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Criticized or players that don't contribute nearly as much as odom.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject:

Odom's energy level is fine. He does play hard. Consistent aggression is a different matter altogether.

RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
ocho wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
ocho wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

odom is too passive at times i'll admit that. there are flaws in every players game. i just object to this "motor" business because it's now being applied to everyone except He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Criticized or players that don't contribute nearly as much as odom.

Everyone knows what you're going to get from Kobe. The same can't be said of Odom. At the end of the season, he's going to end up having averages of 15-17 ppg, 9-10 rpg, and 4-6 apg. However, that's after a season full of 25/12/8 games followed by 10/9/4 games. Consistency aggression is the key to unlocking LO's potential. The reason why LO is held to such a high standard, and rightfully so, is because he is the guy that can take the Lakers to the next level. He is the true barometer for how well the Lakers are playing.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject:

I'll admit I applied the motor thing to Odom when it really isn't the case most of the time. But far too often for a player making $13 million, he's caught standing around watching the action instead of instigating it for my liking.

He has a good motor, just an overall bad fit, due to his need to have the ball, 3-4 very good teammates capable of scoring 15+, his own inability to remain aggressive play offensively, etc.

His passivity just puts so much undue pressure on Kobe to carry the load that it isn't even funny.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:

One would think that a player with no motor would fail in the playoffs. not have his best games at that point in time.

How a guy with no motor winds up 3rd in the NBA rebounding wise during the playoffs along with some of the other things Lamar did (like have a 30+ point game) is beyond me.

Like Kobe's weakness in regards to the team game and knowing how to use teammates properly, Odom's big weakness is his over passing or passive mentality/approach at times.

Difference is that by most one is applauded or completely excused as trying to win while the other is just a quitter/stoner/loser who doesn't care.

Nevermind that Lamar was the one that stepped his game up more than any other Laker (including Kobe) in the playoffs the last 2 years. Or that after game 2 or during game 4 it was Lamar trying to rally the Lakers while Kobe was already talking about changes being needed in post game interviews.

People like M_B and the like just prove my point, ocho. I'm glad you have seen the light on the HUGE double standards set for Kobe vs the rest of the team.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

One would think that a player with no motor would fail in the playoffs. not have his best games at that point in time.

How a guy with no motor winds up 3rd in the NBA rebounding wise during the playoffs along with some of the other things Lamar did (like have a 30+ point game) is beyond me.

Like Kobe's weakness in regards to the team game and knowing how to use teammates properly, Odom's big weakness is his over passing or passive mentality/approach at times.

Difference is that by most one is applauded or completely excused as trying to win while the other is just a quitter.

Nevermind that Lamar was the one that stepped his game up more than any other Laker (including Kobe) in the playoffs the last 2 years.

People like M_B and the like just prove my point, ocho. I'm glad you have seen the light

People who call LO a quitter are unjustified. However, that doesn't mean that LO is providing enough output for his team. The fact that he has stepped his game up over the past 2 playoffs shows that he's capable of giving the Lakers more during the regular season.

Regarding Kobe, it's hard to step up your game much in the playoffs when you're already dropping 30+ a night during the regular season and carrying your team into the playoffs.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Like Kobe's weakness in regards to the team game and knowing how to use teammates properly,

Depends on how you look at that context. Bryant sacrificed the most during the championship runs. GP and Malone come in and Kobe recedes his game as necessary for 3/4 of the season. By the end he decided to step up considering the multiple injuries to that team and they ended up #1 in the Pacific Division.

That's why Kobe gets applauded. He's shown during championship seasons that he can do it. If anything, he's never been this good of a playmaker in the past 2 years.

And if anything, it explains why I want a purer PG for the team. Took the Lakers long enough.

Odom, never showed that aggression for a full-season.

Quote:

Nevermind that Lamar was the one that stepped his game up more than any other Laker (including Kobe) in the playoffs the last 2 years.

Including Kobe? Wow. Kinda helps when the matchup is in Odom's favor every playoffs. Unfortunately, that's only for 6 games a year.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10
Jump to: