SI's All Time Dream Team
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: SI's All Time Dream Team

what do y'all think?

Quote:

SF: Larry Bird: More athletic in the open court over the first half of his career than legend has it, Bird was a threat to score or assist from any spot on the floor. He is arguably the greatest clutch shooter in history.

PF: Tim Duncan: The greatest power forward in history, he has become the Bill Russell of his generation. In an era when power forward is the NBA's best position, Duncan is at the top of the list as the league's most versatile player at both ends of the court.

C: Bill Russell: Eleven championships in 13 years, including eight in a row. He invented the blocked shot and established the precedent that rings were more important than scoring titles. Russell is far and away the most important and influential player in the history of the game.

SG: Michael Jordan: He led the league in scoring each of the six years that he led the Bulls to a championship. Only George Mikan (twice, in 1949-50 and '51-52), Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (1970-71) and Shaquille O'Neal (1999-2000) have been able to pull off that trick.

PG: Magic Johnson: With an unprecedented blend of size, open-floor athleticism and leadership, he led the Lakers to five championships and nine NBA Finals in 12 years -- a run that is second only to Russell's.

sounds about right to me.
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Thats a great list. Not sure about the Bill Russell choice but I'm totally fine with the others.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: SI's All Time Dream Team

ocho wrote:
what do y'all think?

Quote:

SF: Larry Bird: More athletic in the open court over the first half of his career than legend has it, Bird was a threat to score or assist from any spot on the floor. He is arguably the greatest clutch shooter in history.

PF: Tim Duncan: The greatest power forward in history, he has become the Bill Russell of his generation. In an era when power forward is the NBA's best position, Duncan is at the top of the list as the league's most versatile player at both ends of the court.

C: Bill Russell: Eleven championships in 13 years, including eight in a row. He invented the blocked shot and established the precedent that rings were more important than scoring titles. Russell is far and away the most important and influential player in the history of the game.

SG: Michael Jordan: He led the league in scoring each of the six years that he led the Bulls to a championship. Only George Mikan (twice, in 1949-50 and '51-52), Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (1970-71) and Shaquille O'Neal (1999-2000) have been able to pull off that trick.

PG: Magic Johnson: With an unprecedented blend of size, open-floor athleticism and leadership, he led the Lakers to five championships and nine NBA Finals in 12 years -- a run that is second only to Russell's.

I would replace Larry Legend with Pip. Pip gives that team more perimeter D and athleticism.

Better yet, here's my squad that would be able to handle that squad:

C - Shaq: Most dominant C of this era

PF - Malone: Still the greatest scoring PF ever

SF - Pippen: Most complete SF ever

SG - Kobe: The best scorer from any spot on the floor the game has ever seen

PG - Gary Payton: The greatest defensive PG ever.

Shaq vs Bill = Shaq: Bill got abused by Wilt...this would be no different.

Malone vs Tim = Damn. Even.

Pip vs Larry = Edge goes to Pip because of his athleticism and D

Kobe vs MJ = Damn. Slight edge to Kobe because he has a better jater than MJ

GP vs Maj = Maj.

Very close, but my squad eeks out the V!

Last edited by LuxuryBrown on Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: SI's All Time Dream Team

LuxuryBrown wrote:
ocho wrote:
what do y'all think?

Quote:

I would replace Larry Legend with Pip. Pip gives that team more perimeter D and athleticism.

i don't think they were going off of who is going to be the best team unit. any team needs role players. in that sense it's essentially who is the best at each position. if that's the criteria which i assume it was...no WAY you could put pip ahead of legend.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject:

If we are talking about the best at each position then yeah, the only arguable one is C where you might go with Wilt. Otherwise, no objections.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Depends on how you look at it...

If it's a TEAM that must have balancing talent, then I replace Bird with Pippen at SF, keep the rest the same.

If it's a 5 player list with the top player at each position (PG, SG, SF, PF, and C)... then I replace Russel with KAJ, but keep the rest the same.

I fully expect LeBron one day to overtake Larry as the best SF of all time... if Grant Hill's career hadn't ended in Detroit, he probably would have become the best SF of all time.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: SI's All Time Dream Team

ocho wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
ocho wrote:
what do y'all think?

Quote:

i don't think they were going off of who is going to be the best team unit. any team needs role players. in that sense it's essentially who is the best at each position. if that's the criteria which i assume it was...no WAY you could put pip ahead of legend.

I put Pip ahead of Larry because Pip was more of a complete player than Legend. Pip invented the Point Forward spot. He could light it up from outside, and D up the 1, 2, 3, and 4 spots - unheard of. Larry was the better overall pure shooter but Pip had the better overall ability to score from more spots, especially if he had to take it to the rack on people.

And if it IS on position by position...I don't see how Bill can be ahead of a man that averaged 28.7 points and 28.7 rebounds againt him which is what Wilt did.
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject:

I don't think I'd put Russell in as center. I think I'd rather have KAJ, Wilt, Shaq, or maybe even Hakeem. Is Russell still a solid choice? Yes.

I think I'd rather have Bird as my starting SF over Pippen. Was he a lockdown defender like Pip? No, but he still played good team D. Plus Bird was always a better rebounder, passer, shooter and scorer.
smoothCbutla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject:

the team has jordan, bill, and duncan on defense and you're still worried about switching bird out for pippen?
Same coach, same game, been starting
Same triangle offense"
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Who would be the 6th man? Let's complete the roster!

KAJ
Pippen
????????????????????????
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject:

smoothCbutla wrote:
the team has jordan, bill, and duncan on defense and you're still worried about switching bird out for pippen?

MJ's perimeter D is overrated. Pip's D was much better than MJ's D. MJ got over mainly because he was the prototype in an era filled with 6'3 SGs.

So, Bill and Tim can cover the paint/post while Pip and MJ patrol the perimeter. Works for me.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Sad how guys like TD, Kobe, Kidd, etc. aren't promoted as the league's poster boy(s), but rather Wade and Lebron, who haven't accomplished anything (getting to the Finals doesn't mean shat if you don't win even one game)
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:
Sad how guys like TD, Kobe, Kidd, etc. aren't promoted as the league's poster boy(s), but rather Wade and Lebron, who haven't accomplished anything (getting to the Finals doesn't mean shat if you don't win even one game)

they've both been to the finals and wade has won a title and a finals mvp. kidd hasn't gotten that far.
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:

they've both been to the finals and wade has won a title and a finals mvp. kidd hasn't gotten that far.

Kidd did go to the finals twice in 02 and 03 and won a gold medal.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject:

That team implodes with Jordan on it. Kobe is a much better option at the 2. Russell is all defense no offense, replace him with Wilt who can dominate both ends. Duncan would not be needed with Wilt so replace him with KG. KG gives that team All-World defense at power forward and also another passer, he would also compliment Wilt and Bird as well.

Magic
Kobe
Bird
KG
Wilt
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Pip invented the Point Forward spot.

Nope. Bird did.

It should absolutely be Kareem Abdul Jabbar at C.

KAJ
Duncan
Bird
Bryant
Magic

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Nope. Bird did.

KAJ
Duncan
Bird
Bryant
Magic

Eh....I can see that to a certain extent. Bird was a great dimer; so he was the prototype and then Pip came and fully developed the Point Forward.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: SI's All Time Dream Team

ocho wrote:
what do y'all think?

Quote:

Ditto!!!

As for Pip.... Larry > Pippen..... Bird may have lack the 'athleticism' but Pippen lack even more in the metal department (dude was outright scared of the Pistons.... especially in the playoff when he would suddenly suffer from migraine headaches... not mention the refusal to enter a game because he was not getting the last shot... what make the worse was Tony K nailed the game winner.... karma's (bleep), with ice in her veins)

Last edited by TACH on Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: SI's All Time Dream Team

TACH wrote:
ocho wrote:
what do y'all think?

Quote:

Ditto!!!

As for Pip.... Larry > Pippen..... Bird may have lack the 'athleteism' Pippen lack even more in the metal department (dude was outright scared of the Pistons.... especially in the playoff when he would suddenly suffer from migraine headaches... not mention the refusal to enter a game because he was not getting the last shot... what make the worse was Tony K nailed the game winner.... karma's (bleep), with ice in her veins)

Pip sure did show up against Pistons as they started their growth into champs, so I don't see how he lacked the mental aspect of the game. You don't make the 50 Greatest without having the mental game to go along with your skills.

Plus, we ALL remember how Pip basically neutralized Maj in the 91 Finals after Phil put him on him and that was basically the start of the backsweep! THAT'S mental! 8)
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Nope. Bird did.

KAJ
Duncan
Bird
Bryant
Magic

Only problem I see with this lineup is you have to post players at the 4 & 5. I would put KG over Duncan at the 4 to give the team more balance. Besides that I had it on a coin flip between Kareem and Wilt at center.
cinimod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject:

The Dagger wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Nope. Bird did.

KAJ
Duncan
Bird
Bryant
Magic

Only problem I see with this lineup is you have to post players at the 4 & 5. I would put KG over Duncan at the 4 to give the team more balance. Besides that I had it on a coin flip between Kareem and Wilt at center.

Kareem's sky hook extended out to 15-17', as does Duncan's perimeter shot....No need to replace either...
REPPIN 818
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: SI's All Time Dream Team

ocho wrote:
what do y'all think?

Quote:

That must be some good (bleep) they're hitting.

Switch Kobe with Jordan at the 2. Brings perfection to the team.
Switch Walton with Bird at the 3. Brings whiteness to the team.
Switch LO with Tim Duncan at the 4. Brings injury to the team.
Switch Kwame with Russell at the 5. Brings girls who like girls to team.
Switch Smush with Magic at the 1. Brings bullfighting to the team.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: SI's All Time Dream Team

LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
ocho wrote:
what do y'all think?

Quote:

Ditto!!!

As for Pip.... Larry > Pippen..... Bird may have lack the 'athleteism' Pippen lack even more in the metal department (dude was outright scared of the Pistons.... especially in the playoff when he would suddenly suffer from migraine headaches... not mention the refusal to enter a game because he was not getting the last shot... what make the worse was Tony K nailed the game winner.... karma's (bleep), with ice in her veins)

Pip sure did show up against Pistons as they started their growth into champs, so I don't see how he lacked the mental aspect of the game. You don't make the 50 Greatest without having the mental game to go along with your skills.

Plus, we ALL remember how Pip basically neutralized Maj in the 91 Finals after Phil put him on him and that was basically the start of the backsweep! THAT'S mental! 8)
Okay... what about 86 - 90.... when the Pistons knocked the Bulls out of the playoffs, three straight years in a row.... Pippen 'suffered' with headaches...

He couldn't handle Toni taking the last shot to were he refused to enter the game.

From is own teammate:
Quote:
Will Perdue, ESPN Insider: You know what they say, be careful what you wish for -- you just might get it. Scottie, like most people, wanted to be the man. Well, he got it all right.

Michael all of a sudden retires in 1993 after the death of his father, and Scottie, by default, becomes the man. What I don't think he realized is what comes with being the man. You're responsible for answering to the media when the team falters; you're the one to blame if a teammate breaks ranks; you're the one ... the list goes on. The pressure got to Scottie. He did some things he's undoubtedly not proud of.

Fast-forward to the 2000-01 season. I join Scottie in Portland as a free agent to finish my career. On paper, we had a very good team. What I didn't realize was how this team was on the verge of imploding. What I saw, though, was a familiar face trying his hardest to keep this team together. I saw a guy who was older, wiser and willing to sacrifice for the good of the team.

He had obviously been paying attention to his previous mistakes. Could this guy possibly be the same guy I knew years before? The only thing about this guy that was the same was his looks. Scottie had become that leader we had expected years earlier. More mature. More aware of that which goes on around him.

Listen ,.I'm not saying Pippen wasn't good, he was great in fact it's just, imo, Larry was better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject:

This is why I choose Bird over Pippen.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: SI's All Time Dream Team

TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
ocho wrote:
what do y'all think?

Quote:

Ditto!!!

Okay... what about 86 - 90.... when the Pistons knocked the Bulls out of the playoffs, three straight years in a row.... Pippen 'suffered' with headaches...

He couldn't handle Toni taking the last shot to were he refused to enter the game.

From is own teammate:
Quote:
Will Perdue, ESPN Insider: You know what they say, be careful what you wish for -- you just might get it. Scottie, like most people, wanted to be the man. Well, he got it all right.

Michael all of a sudden retires in 1993 after the death of his father, and Scottie, by default, becomes the man. What I don't think he realized is what comes with being the man. You're responsible for answering to the media when the team falters; you're the one to blame if a teammate breaks ranks; you're the one ... the list goes on. The pressure got to Scottie. He did some things he's undoubtedly not proud of.

Fast-forward to the 2000-01 season. I join Scottie in Portland as a free agent to finish my career. On paper, we had a very good team. What I didn't realize was how this team was on the verge of imploding. What I saw, though, was a familiar face trying his hardest to keep this team together. I saw a guy who was older, wiser and willing to sacrifice for the good of the team.

He had obviously been paying attention to his previous mistakes. Could this guy possibly be the same guy I knew years before? The only thing about this guy that was the same was his looks. Scottie had become that leader we had expected years earlier. More mature. More aware of that which goes on around him.

Listen ,.I'm not saying Pippen wasn't good, he was great in fact it's just, imo, Larry was better.

Larry was better in SOME aspects of the game and Pippen was better than Bird in SOME aspects of the game.

And those same Bulls got knocked out with MJ as well, so that doesn't bother me at all. All I know is Pippen is the most complete SF to ever play the game. He can score and play D like no other SF before him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: