Lakers: Plan D
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject:

i can only really comment on what i'd heard was in discussion - obviously I'm not privvy to the exact details of the negotiation.

Anything more is speculation - you're welcome to do it - but I have no sense if LA wants Bell or Gadzuric - or for the other posters - if the Bucks would take Vlad, etc
infidel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Buss should realize that grabbing Yi and having him develop into anything close to an all-star will mean making the Lakers *the* favored franchise of China and Asia/Asian-America in general.

That means $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Let's hope the flashing benjamins makes Buss give Kupchak a boot in the ass on this one.
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject:

infidel wrote:
Buss should realize that grabbing Yi and having him develop into anything close to an all-star will mean making the Lakers *the* favored franchise of China and Asia/Asian-America in general.

Let's hope the flashing benjamins makes Buss give Kupchak a boot in the ass on this one.

what about houston?
they're pretty popular in china. they have a billion fans. literally
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject:

gotcha. I just wonder if the Bucks see Dan in the same boat with Simmons, additions by subtraction financially. If thats the case I wonder who poses a threat to the Lakers if they're willing to take on that kind of money? Wasn't GS pretty tight with not wanting to pay lux tax at all?
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject:

Asking Buss to take Simmons and Gadz is too much. How long would it take Yi to recoup for the extra 50+ million that Buss would be dropping on those 2 (compared to what he's sending out)? That's assuming that Yi even pans out. Getting rid of Vlad's (or possibly Cook's if he's REALLY feeling generous) contract is a must.
NOODLESTYLE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject:

10scott10 wrote:
infidel wrote:

what about houston?

I think the Lakers fans would eventually begin too outnumber the Houston fans if the Lakers got Yi. They have a lot of Rockets fans for 2 reasons 1) Yao Ming & 2) Rockets game are shown there. However, Kobe was the most recent the #1 selling jersey in China. LA is LA and China would surely jump on board if the Lakers got Yi, media exposure would be huge both ways...this is something both Jerry Buss and David Stern are probably hoping for. Especially David Stern since this would go with his "NBA going Global" plan, and this is why I think David Stern hasn't done jack to Yi's camp about not reporting to Milwaukee.

Not only that, the Lakers could end up with 2 Chinese National Team players in Yi and Sun. If Yi lives up to his potential, I can see those fans quickly jumping on the Lakers bandwagon, plenty have in the past. Not only that, Yi's style of play is more exciting than Yao's...so if he's able to pull off that off in the NBA, the fans are going to pile up.

Last edited by NOODLESTYLE on Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:14 am; edited 8 times in total
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
gotcha. I just wonder if the Bucks see Dan in the same boat with Simmons, additions by subtraction financially. If thats the case I wonder who poses a threat to the Lakers if they're willing to take on that kind of money? Wasn't GS pretty tight with not wanting to pay lux tax at all?

I'm sure Milwaukee would be happy to get rid of Gadz. Who wants 30million committed to a backup center? Much less, a small market team?

GS is an interesting case. They have a massive trade exception and thus the luxury of taking back one of those 2 contracts without sending out any salaries. Assuming they are willing, it seems they'd be in the best position. The most important piece we'd be sending out is Farmar and GS could match that simply by throwing in a first rounder.

Milwaukee then goes under the cap and uses that money to re-sign Skinner and Ruben. In other words, a backup C and SF, which are the other pieces we'd be sending out (Kwame and Evans).
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject:

There is a 90% chance that the Warriors aren't using the trade exception.

They have to extend Biedrins and give a new contract to Monta Ellis next summer, and they want to stay under the tax treshold.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject:

so if plan z is trade kobe, what's plan y?

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject:

If if if the Lakers did take on Gadzuric's and Simmon's contracts, how long are they on board for? What will that mean for the team and salary cap flexibility if we have Simmons and Gadzuric and Odom and Bryant taking a huge chunk of change? I know the Lakers can resign Bynum and Critt but how far over the cap will they be when those two come up for renegotiations?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject:

prisma8slg wrote:
so if plan z is trade kobe, what's plan y?

Plan D
lakermax
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
^But who knows what deals are really out there? How many trades have taken place this offseason? The KG trade, the Richardson trade, the Thomas trade, the Randolph trade, and the R. Lewis trade... so five trades, none of which the Lakers had any chance at consumating themselves except maybe the Randolph trade which we can all agree wouldn't have been worth it.

The only trade we know we have denied so far is the JO trade. We don't even know if this Yi idea ever became serious or has the chance to become serious. Maybe it's wrong of me, but I assume that if a Kwame/Farmar/1st round pick for Simmons/Yi deal was really on the table, we would have done it by now.

We don't know if Milwaukee wouldn't do that deal, I think the big hurdle in a Yi deal right now is for Jianlian's camp to convince Mil that there is no way they're signing.

Didn't his camp warn them before the draft even took place? Normally I would have sympathy for the Bucks but the guy told them that he wouldn't play for 'em if they picked him up in the draft!!! Stupidiotic!
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject:

i specified in the article - the rest of the alphabet includes varying degrees of "let them gel"
md8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject:

10scott10 wrote:
infidel wrote:

what about houston?

Tmac and other Houston players, get a lot of allstar votes because of China. If we got Yi, I wonder how many more votes Kobe would get. Heck maybe Odom will finally become an allstar.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

I'm sure Milwaukee would be happy to get rid of Gadz. Who wants 30million committed to a backup center? Much less, a small market team?

GS is an interesting case. They have a massive trade exception and thus the luxury of taking back one of those 2 contracts without sending out any salaries. Assuming they are willing, it seems they'd be in the best position. The most important piece we'd be sending out is Farmar and GS could match that simply by throwing in a first rounder.

Milwaukee then goes under the cap and uses that money to re-sign Skinner and Ruben. In other words, a backup C and SF, which are the other pieces we'd be sending out (Kwame and Evans).

GS reached the WCF and has expectations of being good. That puts their pick somewhere in the mid 20s. Why would you assume that Farmar isn't worth more than a late first rounder? Just because we got him that late in the draft, doesn't mean he wasn't a steal.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
gng930 wrote:
fansincemagic wrote:

GS reached the WCF and has expectations of being good. That puts their pick somewhere in the mid 20s. Why would you assume that Farmar isn't worth more than a late first rounder? Just because we got him that late in the draft, doesn't mean he wasn't a steal.

Actually, it was the 2nd round that they reached. They just happened to draw a favorable match-up; I don't see them cracking the top 5 in the West this year which means the pick will probably be in the low 20s.

Farmar had a disappointing summer league performance. I read a few articles that seemed to say his stock is a little down right now. Not that I'm saying he won't do well in his 2nd year (Bynum performed weakly in his 2nd SPL as well), just that that's what I believe his value is perceived.

It's a moot point, Luke convinced me that GS is probably looking to save money for the impending extensions of Ellis and Biedrins.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject:

Just a funny coincidence but according to NBA.com Bynum and Yi were both born on Oct. 27th, 1987. Crittenton was born 65 days later on 12/31/87

(As a side note nbadraft.net has Yi's b-day listed as 10/27/84).
seccom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject:

I just checked out the forum of Yi's CBA Team.

They have several discussion thread similar this one. It looks the Chinese fan really want Yi to come to the Lakers instead of the Bucks.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject:

link?
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Just a funny coincidence but according to NBA.com Bynum and Yi were both born on Oct. 27th, 1987. Crittenton was born 65 days later on 12/31/87

(As a side note nbadraft.net has Yi's b-day listed as 10/27/84).

and there's plan y for you - the 1987 plan !!!
seccom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
link?

http://www.huanantiger.com/index.php

The site is all in Chinese.
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject:

seccom wrote:
emplay wrote:
link?

Oh, great. Now I have to learn Chinese to get the most up-to-date Lakers news. I'll be eligle for AARP by the time that happens...on to the P&M thread...
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 71-72 wrote:
seccom wrote:
emplay wrote:
link?

Oh, great. Now I have to learn Chinese to get the most up-to-date Lakers news.

That was classic.

(I always wanted to learn a little Chinese.)
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject:

The deal is already unlikely....but both Gadz and C.Bell would be good fits....depends on the bucks feel about Bell

Farmar+Kwame+Evans+Cook+Vlad+08 1st and 08 2nd for Yi/Simmons/C.Bell/Gadz

Bogut/Kwame/Jake Voskuhl
Villanueva/Cook
D.Mason/Vlad/Noel
M.Redd/M.Evans
Mo Williams/J.Farmar

We might not win this year but in 2 years(year before kobe can opt out):

Drew-15-10
Yi-16-6
Odom-17-8-5
Kobe-25-5-5
J.Critt-12-4-4
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject:

^^^Yea, that would never happen. I think the best possible deal we could expect would be Kwame/Farmar/Sasha or Mo/2008 1st rounder for Simmons/Yi/Noel. More likely that it would just be Kwame/Farmar/2008 1st rounder for Simmons/Yi.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: