Lakers: Plan D
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject:

I think I'm going to have to face the fact that my hopes are already up. If Mitch could pull this off then he's earned a free pass from here on out from me. JUST DO IT MITCH!!!!!
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Is this rumor serious??
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject:

TNLakersFan wrote:
Is this rumor serious??

The only thing emplay has clued us in on is that according to his sources the lakers have inquired about Jianlian. Nothing more specific than that.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
TNLakersFan wrote:
Is this rumor serious??

The only thing emplay has clued us in on is that according to his sources the lakers have inquired about Jianlian. Nothing more specific than that.

Well to be more accurate, he said "discussions" have taken place, which implies more than inquiries. It had been reported previously, not by Eric, but on realgm (Perna, I believe), than Yi's agent had been trying to negotiate a deal to the Lakers (and the 5 other teams that have been mentioned). And the Lakers did get invited to, and did watch Yi's workout--which is kind of odd since he was projected to go way before the Lakers pick. None of that suggests a deal is imminent, but it also suggests that things likely got past the first phone call.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject:

couple of things:

first - about charlie bell (you know i can't pass up talking about him...).
if the bucks really have no interest in signing him - the lakers HAVE to ask for him.
add some 2nd rd picks, some cash - whatever's necessary, because this is also a great way to make sure the team actually improves in the short term (not only long term) with this deal, and SELL IT TO KOBE !

this would mean that noel isn't needed in the deal, and la can and should include sasha + mo evans.

fish/bell/critt
kobe/bell/karl
walton/simmons/vlad
odom/yi/cook
bynum/mihm/turiaf

second, this may sound shocking at first, but we may have a golden opportunity here to actually dump vlad.

if the bucks do this deal - they'll have 4 centers on the roster (also signed vuskuhl), and NO natural small forward (even mason is a tweener).

i think that this would be a rare occasion where a team would actually be willing to take on vlad's contract, if the lakers take back gadzuric - who has an equaly bad deal.

for the lakers who just lost kwame and may very well lose mihm next summer - this is a solid move. especially since we'll now have luke and simmons at sf.

and for the bucks - they'll still have 3 centers (bogut, kwame, jake), but now they'll also have a natural small forward to back up mason.
there's no reason to think they'd rather keep gadzuric than get vlad - if they also do a simmons/kwame swap.

we can't pass this up - this is our chance to dump vlad, and preper for next summer when mihm probably opts out and with simmons, vlad, and lux tax - we probably opt to let mihm walk and play turiaf out of position at back up center.

Last edited by davidse on Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
infidel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers get Yi, my support for the Lakers will turn into a fanatical religion of crusade-like intensity.

Free Yi!
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject:

-davidse- you are thinking so much about Bell that you forgot to include the main piece of the trade in the team

By the way, good idea to try to take Charlie Bell , who is better than Evans an younger than Fisher ( and will be better than him after he learn the offense), but selling him to Kobe, who now has eyes only for Jason Kidd, could not be a good move...
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Luke wrote:
-davidse- you are thinking so much about Bell that you forgot to include the main piece of the trade in the team

By the way, good idea to try to take Charlie Bell , who is better than Evans an younger than Fisher ( and will be better than him after he learn the offense), but selling him to Kobe, who now has eyes only for Jason Kidd, could not be a good move...

yeah, i forgot about that guy... i'll edit

well, what i'm saying is, that if somehow we manage to include bell (is he really not in the bucks plans ? that would be shocking for me), then it would mean that we actually manage to make the team better AND have a more promissing future, and that has to appeal to kobe, and make him at least consider that things are changing.
i know i would feel that way.
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject:

How about?

Vlad for Gadzuric is basically one bad contract for another. Mo is very serviceable as backup 2 or 3 plus is an expiring contract. Farmar is a nice young PG to backup Williams and Kwame is a serviceable big to provide D and also a big expiring contract. That deal would be even better if the Bucks s&t Bell (but that wasn't an option on the espn trade machine).

Fisher, Critt, Sasha
Kobe, Bell?, Karl
Simmons, Luke
Odom, Ji, Ronny, Cook
Bynum, Mihm, Gadzuric

Lakers can run a ridiculously big lineup with Kobe, Simmons, Odom, Ronny/Ji, Bynum. I don't like Simmons' contract, but he knows how to score and is a threat beyond the arc.

Williams, Farmar
Redd, Mason, Evans
Vlad, Noel
Villanueva, Markota
Bogut, Kwame, Voskuhl

The Bucks can run a big lineup of Kwame, Bogut (he played PF sometimes when Magloire was on the team), Villanueva, Redd and Mo. They can play Evans or Mason at the 2 or 3 and Vlad or Villanueva at the 3 or 4. Fairly versatile team. Kwame gives them some added D, which they need.

This trade makes sense for both teams.
LakersFanKB#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject:

I would love for this trade to go through. Does Mitch have the nuts to pull the trigger if the offer is on the table is the question?

Fish/Bell/Critt
Kobe/Bell/Karl
Simmons/Luke
LO/Yi/Ronny/Cook
Bynum/Mihm/Gadz

Even better is if we trade Brian Cook for something, and I mean anything. I could really care less who it is for. Cook is not really any good for the lakers. Also, if this deal went through, wouldn't we still have what's left of the MLE to use on someone else? If you want to cut someone, cut Coby Karl, or Sasha, or Brian Cook.

Look who is still left for the Lakers to sign:

Ruben Patterson
Brian Skinner
Melvin Ely
Adonal Foyle
Dale Davis
Jumaine Jones
Dahntay Jones
Corliss Williamson

And, with only about 25 roster spots available in the whole NBA, these guys may be forced to take less money. I am sure that the Lakers could pry someone off this list and bring them onto the team. This team, if the trade goes through and a free agent is brought in, could make a major splash in the postseason, especially if Bynum and Yi mature quickly. The team would be deep, with a second team off the bench that can score (Bell, Yi, and Critt), rebound (Yi, Mihm, Luke), pass (Luke, Bell, Critt), and play some defense (Bell and Critt). And if you have Ronny as a third PF off the bench, you can be solid. Gadzuric is a serviceable big man who can come in and give you a stretch of 4-6 minutes of good, solid, inside play. I would love this roster if the trade is made, and we pick up a free agent with what's left of the MLE.

Thoughts?
eagles nut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I considered the Vlad for Gadzuric component as well. Milwauke was reportedly one of the teams that had target Radmanovic last year.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Vlad for Gadz would definitely relieve the glut created at SF and provide some insurance at C.

Vlad and Charlie-V actually complement each other well.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject:

So....Jordan Farmar,Kwame Brown,Mo Evans and maybe B.Cook and a 1st for Yi,Simmons,C.Bell(5.5mill and BYC), and Gadz

Drew/Mimh/Gadz
Lamar/Ronny/Yi
Luke/Simmons
Kobe/Sasha/Karl
Fisher/Bell/J.Critt
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject:

How about the difficult 3-way

Milwaukee
Yi/Simmons/Greer for Kwame/Farmar/Simien/Evans/'08 pick (lal)

Kwame & Evans are good role players that add up to $11 million in expiring deals. Farmar, Simien and '08 pick are assets for the future and fill a depth need.

Miami
Walker/Doleac/Simien for Simmons/Cook/$3million (from Lakers)

Possey is officially gone and starting Walker at the SF spot can't be appealing. Simmons is an upgrade without adding payroll this (tax) year. Miami lost their sharpshooter when Kapono left for Toronto. Cook has played with Oneal and can hit from deep. He is also more experienced than Simien.

Financially this is a wash for the first two years. Miami would be committing to Simmons for a 3rd year (Walker has a team option) and Cook has a player option but will likely look for a longer deal.

Lakers
Kwame/Cook/Evans/Farmar/'08 pick/$3 million for Walker/Yi/Doleac/Greer

Lakers pick up Yi for spare parts and cap space. The added cost is justified by adding talent and revenue (Yi). The 3-way allows LA to reduce the financial expense. Walker could probably be bought out in year 2.

Fisher, Crittenton
Bryant, Karl, Sasha
Walton, Radmanovic
Odom, Yi, Turiaf
Bynum, Mihm
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject:

think about the odds of actually hitting on a real 2-way trade

multiply that times the percentage of actual multi-team trades that go through (very rare)

once you start down that road - you're pretty much out in no-man's land.

It's a little different like when LA was trying to find a 3rd team for a KG swap - and it was widely acknowledged.

I don't think they'll be an LA/Mil/Mia 3-way
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject:

NOODLESTYLE wrote:
rwongega wrote:
I don't think he'll be able to contribute right away.

so would u want Kwame Brown over Yi Jianlian?

No, but I doubt the Bucks will just want Brown for Yi.

PurpleHayz wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Only thing Yi would be good for is increasing the team's standing with Asian Americans and the added money flowing in the way it did for Houston. I don't think he'll be able to contribute right away.

I disagree. Have you seen Yi play? This guy is NBA ready (offensively) right now! He has all the moves and then some not mention his sweet j for a man his size. Now defensively he may be a liability but Bynum should have his back.

Bottom line if when can find a way to get this deal done then we will have improved our team in a BIG way. Especially with keeping LO AND Bynum

Have you seen the way Phil treats rookies?

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
infidel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject:

With each passing day that this trade does not go through, I get increasingly pessimistic and picture Kupchak on the tube whining about "how difficult it is to get trades done," "that magic wands don't grow on trees," "that he's very happy with the roster as it stands," ad infinitum.

I think it's clear that the longer the trade thread on LG, the less likely the chance of it actually happening.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
I don't think they'll be an LA/Mil/Mia 3-way

I know. Just having a little fun with it trying to come up with a scenario.

BTW - Thanks for all the great reporting. I never miss an article.
NOODLESTYLE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
TNLakersFan wrote:
Is this rumor serious??

Well to be more accurate, he said "discussions" have taken place, which implies more than inquiries. It had been reported previously, not by Eric, but on realgm (Perna, I believe), than Yi's agent had been trying to negotiate a deal to the Lakers (and the 5 other teams that have been mentioned). And the Lakers did get invited to, and did watch Yi's workout--which is kind of odd since he was projected to go way before the Lakers pick. None of that suggests a deal is imminent, but it also suggests that things likely got past the first phone call.

Ya Perna mentioned Yi going to the Lakers, but the thread got locked because the trade he mentioned didn't even work in the trade checker. Then another poster from CL posted another deal, which is the one discussed Emplay's article.

I've always had a feeling Yi/China would force himself to one of the markets such as LA, GS, NY, or Chicago. Then there's that loophole that basically leaves Milwaukee with no options...correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if Yi Jianlian does not play pro ball for another league, then he can re-enter the draft next season since he hasn't even signed a NBA contract. Apparently the CBA has already said he would not return and Yi playing for the Team China does not count as playing pro ball.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject:

Who is Perna?
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject:

NOODLESTYLE wrote:

I've always had a feeling Yi/China would force himself to one of the markets such as LA, GS, NY, or Chicago. Then there's that loophole that basically leaves Milwaukee with no options...correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if Yi Jianlian does not play pro ball for another league, then he can re-enter the draft next season since he hasn't even signed a NBA contract. Apparently the CBA has already said he would not return and Yi playing for the Team China does not count as playing pro ball.

I believe you are correct.
golakersgo121
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject:

Laker7 wrote:
NOODLESTYLE wrote:

I believe you are correct.

Yep. Unless he plays anywhere overseas for a professional BB club. Yet, it does not make him a FA but rather gives him the right to re-enter the draft as unsigned draftee from a previous season... And the Bucks lose all rights to this draft pick.
hi_ma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
So....Jordan Farmar,Kwame Brown,Mo Evans and maybe B.Cook and a 1st for Yi,Simmons,C.Bell(5.5mill and BYC), and Gadz

Drew/Mimh/Gadz
Lamar/Ronny/Yi
Luke/Simmons
Kobe/Sasha/Karl
Fisher/Bell/J.Critt

Sounds laughable but we have been on the wrong side of laughable maybe its our turn to be on the right side
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Who is Perna?

Andrew Perna, writer for realgm.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Bell is a little far-fetched (short of throwing in a first rounder) but I think Skinner is a realistic target.

Skinner would allow Odom to move at SF against a stronger post presence. He isn't as foul prone as Ronny and will even block shots from time to time.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: