Real nervous for my basketball game...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AceOfSpaDeZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Real nervous for my basketball game...

Well as of right now its 12:50am and i gotta wake up at 7am tomorrow for my game , problem is im real nervous...
What im asking what is the best way to perpare for a game?
What to eat? what to do ?

Im currently in Highschool varsity league , and my team isnt all the great
so if were going want to win a game , ima have to do good ( in the starting 5 ) and this is only our 2n game , were coming from a 20point loss.

Appreciate.
B_Rabbit1212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Real nervous for my basketball game...

Ace626 wrote:
Well as of right now its 12:50am and i gotta wake up at 7am tomorrow for my game , problem is im real nervous...

Im currently in Highschool varsity league , and my team isnt all the great
so if were going want to win a game , ima have to do good ( in the starting 5 ) and this is only our 2n game , were coming from a 20point loss.

Appreciate.

stretch out (bleep) out, and don't take warm ups too seriously (all it will do is wind you up too hard if your already nervous), but make sure you actually get warmed up.

other than that, just stay away from some mcD's for before the game and you're chill.
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject:

How did you prepare for your 1st game? When you had that 20 point loss?

Do the complete opposite =P

But on a serious note... make sure you get plenty of rest. Like B_Rabbit said, stretch tons. Yeah, don't let warmups bother you. Don't think that you have to hit all your shots. They're warmup shots. Know your game and your range.

Just focus, and play your game. Listen to the coach... and have FUN!
AceOfSpaDeZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject:

This is a bit late, but we LOST the game
worse part about it is we lost by 4 , and i had a bad game
3-7FG , 0-1 3PA , and 2-2FT 2blocks and a few rebounds , which are stats that fall way short of what my team expects me to do
BoredTiger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Ace626, don't be so hard on yourself.

4 Points is VERY respectable. It's WAY better than 20 points.

I know that means nothing in terms of WINS and LOSSES, but it shows character that your team can compete.

Everyone can have a bad day (elite athletes do).

So don't put all of the weight on your shoulders. Just go over what areas you think you can improve/strengthen. What areas were you weak in your losses? Can they be improved or are those areas just things you have to deal with? Are there other areas of your game you exploit and take advantage of? Are you a great defender? Can you pressure all game long? Can you out run the opponents in that come the 4th quarter, can you continue to jump as high and as quickly as you did in the 1st, while the rest are tiring out?

Keep things simple, and just do the fundamentals. The rest is up to the coach and the team to really bring it together. Pay attention in practice, have the conversation you're having here with your coaches and see if they have some pointers for you as well. I don't know ANY coach that doesn't enjoy having these types of conversations with their players.

When things get too overwhelming, go do something completely different. Read a book that people never would expect you to read, or pick up a hobby that you've always been curious about. Keep yourself open to new experiences and you'll find that you'll be healthier in mind and body.

I wish you the BEST in your next game! Chin up! D-up! and put the ball through the net!
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Ace626,

In my experience playing basketball, you have to fail in order to be successful. It gives you tougher skin, and most importantly experience. So don't worry about having a bad game, it literally happens to everyone. Next time you go out there, realize that you've been there before. 'This is nothing new.' Then go out and play your game.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject:

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
Ace626,

In my experience playing basketball, you have to fail in order to be successful. It gives you tougher skin, and most importantly experience. So don't worry about having a bad game, it literally happens to everyone. Next time you go out there, realize that you've been there before. 'This is nothing new.' Then go out and play your game.

aint this the truth. I was playing PF in high school for my first game. and I took an illadvised 3, that airballed. the ball went straight out the open gym door. I was playing B's and JV at the time in 10th grade. the entire varsity squad was there. half the cheerleaders were there. i was like, "why are all these people watching us low level guys on my first day." had me shook like an earthquake. But after my own friends and others chanted, "Air Ball" and the coach yanked me. I was never afraid pre-game again. excited? yes. afraid? never.

coach" What were you Thinking PnP?"
Pnp:" Uh , Uh, You're right coach, my bad. it wont happen again"

I went on to have a block party (5 or 6, literally knocking stuff into the stands). we won. so my experience was a little better then the OP's.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Ace626 wrote:
3-7FG , 0-1 3PA , and 2-2FT 2blocks and a few rebounds , which are stats that fall way short of what my team expects me to do

better than the numbers the lakers role players put up.
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
Ace626 wrote:

better than the numbers the lakers role players put up.

do it mitch
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
AceOfSpaDeZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject:

BoredTiger wrote:
Ace626, don't be so hard on yourself.

4 Points is VERY respectable. It's WAY better than 20 points.

I know that means nothing in terms of WINS and LOSSES, but it shows character that your team can compete.

Everyone can have a bad day (elite athletes do).

So don't put all of the weight on your shoulders. Just go over what areas you think you can improve/strengthen. What areas were you weak in your losses? Can they be improved or are those areas just things you have to deal with? Are there other areas of your game you exploit and take advantage of? Are you a great defender? Can you pressure all game long? Can you out run the opponents in that come the 4th quarter, can you continue to jump as high and as quickly as you did in the 1st, while the rest are tiring out?

Keep things simple, and just do the fundamentals. The rest is up to the coach and the team to really bring it together. Pay attention in practice, have the conversation you're having here with your coaches and see if they have some pointers for you as well. I don't know ANY coach that doesn't enjoy having these types of conversations with their players.

When things get too overwhelming, go do something completely different. Read a book that people never would expect you to read, or pick up a hobby that you've always been curious about. Keep yourself open to new experiences and you'll find that you'll be healthier in mind and body.

I wish you the BEST in your next game! Chin up! D-up! and put the ball through the net!

Appreciate it bro.
Reason why im pissed off is casue i know for a fact i can be doing much better ( playing a higher level of basketball ) , and i think the main reason is the lack of experience i have playing in games. one big thing i also notice is my feet are weak , late in the game but shots were falling short , so all ima do this whole week is work on legs and strengthen them

Got a game this Sunday also , hoping i can do much better
and yet again , appreciate all the responses
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: