Task scheduler on xp questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Task scheduler on xp questions

I want to be able to schedule a shutdown daily at 2pm. Ive found some nice shutdown programs but the problem is they wont run when the PC is logged off.

Does task scheduler run even when the pc is logged off?

I know I can use the shutdown program to be called upon by the task, but I cant seem to make it work.

Plus using the command lines just confuses me...especially the part about adding the -s in the run command..( does that mean add it after the shudown.exe -s)??

By the way..I cant have the computer not log off( Im using STEADY STATE with log off timer)
Mongo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Task scheduler on xp questions

Laker_Town wrote:
I want to be able to schedule a shutdown daily at 2pm. Ive found some nice shutdown programs but the problem is they wont run when the PC is logged off.

I know I can use the shutdown program to be called upon by the task, but I cant seem to make it work.

Plus using the command lines just confuses me...especially the part about adding the -s in the run command..( does that mean add it after the shudown.exe -s)??

By the way..I cant have the computer not log off( Im using STEADY STATE with log off timer)

Yes, the scheduler will run without anyone being logged in as it runs under the system account. You probably want to include the -f directive to force all applications to close as well (otherwise the shutdown will not occur if the application is 'waiting') so the full command would be "shutdown -s -f". I would try it from the command line first before putting it in your scheduler just to make sure it behaves like you think it should.
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject:

In the Task Scheduler when creating new task, there is a check box to "Run only if logged on".
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Task scheduler on xp questions

Mongo wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:

Yes, the scheduler will run without anyone being logged in as it runs under the system account. You probably want to include the -f directive to force all applications to close as well (otherwise the shutdown will not occur if the application is 'waiting') so the full command would be "shutdown -s -f". I would try it from the command line first before putting it in your scheduler just to make sure it behaves like you think it should.

can you explain this more in detail? Im not sure wher I sohuld add the commands -s and -f

thanks
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: