Suggestion: "Ignore This User" option

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedSnapper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Suggestion: "Ignore This User" option

I frequent another fan site (different sport) that offers an "ignore this user" option. Personally, it makes visiting that site much more enjoyable, because I am not faced with posts by contributors who regularly press my buttons.

In general terms, I am certain that it reduces the hostility that can arise during stressful times. (Doesn't eliminate it, just reduces it.)

If this feature can be added without too much trouble, I think it would enhance your apparent goal of a "gentler, kinder" environment.
21_Blessings
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject:

An ignore feature would really do this site a great service. I'm sure there would be alot less baiting/personal attacks since it seems like the same people go at in every thread arguing over the same issue.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject:

21_Blessings wrote:
An ignore feature would really do this site a great service. I'm sure there would be alot less baiting/personal attacks since it seems like the same people go at in every thread arguing over the same issue.

An ignore feature would do nothing to stop that. If people who are constantly sniping at each other wanted to, they could easily just ignore the other without a board-provided method of doing so.

I honestly think implementing an ignore feature would be more trouble than it was worth. It's much easier to just ignore people you know push your buttons.
mbloves L.A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject:

OK, so if not an ignore feature, how about a stalk feature, like if you want to know a single person's posting history and all that? And get in an RSS feed.

Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject:

mbloves L.A. wrote:
OK, so if not an ignore feature, how about a stalk feature, like if you want to know a single person's posting history and all that? And get in an RSS feed.

You can easily use the search function for that. Click-on the ads up there why'll your at it.
21_Blessings
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
An ignore feature would do nothing to stop that. If people who are constantly sniping at each other wanted to, they could easily just ignore the other without a board-provided method of doing so.

You say this, but you know it isn't true at all. Lot tougher to ignore someone when they have 100 posts in the same thread, it makes reading said thread insufferable.

Exick wrote:
I honestly think implementing an ignore feature would be more trouble than it was worth. It's much easier to just ignore people you know push your buttons.

But there is no downside and only advantage. An ignore feature isn't a new concept or anything. It's been around since message board inception.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject:

This has been suggested, but what happens if the person you are ignoring started a new thread? Can you see the thread? Will you not be able to see what they wrote unless someone quotes them? What if they make a point that takes the thread in a seemingly new direction, and you are the only one who does not catch on and get stuck in the old conversation?

Can you ignore mods?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject:

21_Blessings wrote:
But there is no downside and only advantage. An ignore feature isn't a new concept or anything. It's been around since message board inception.

Two downsides.
One, discussions become splintered when lots of people have lots of other people on their ignore lists. It does nothing for the community other than reduce how much of a community it is.
Two, it adds unnecessary complexity to the site's code in the form of database size and processing time for each page to check every post against a particular user's ignore list.

And yes, ignore features have been around for years, but that doesn't mean they are actually a good idea.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject:

I'd comment on this issue, except I'm ignoring everyone posting here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
21_Blessings
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
One, discussions become splintered when lots of people have lots of other people on their ignore lists. It does nothing for the community other than reduce how much of a community it is.

Thats not a downside considering LG's traffic.

Exick wrote:
Two, it adds unnecessary complexity to the site's code in the form of database size and processing time for each page to check every post against a particular user's ignore list.

I don't see how it would be unnecessary, but yeah it does add complexity but not enough to lag the site like you are suggesting.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestion: "Ignore This User" option

RedSnapper wrote:
I frequent another fan site (different sport) that offers an "ignore this user" option. Personally, it makes visiting that site much more enjoyable, because I am not faced with posts by contributors who regularly press my buttons.

No one can press another person's buttons without that person's permission.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
I'd comment on this issue, except I'm ignoring everyone posting here.

I think you posted something funny, but I'm not sure because I'm ignoring you
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject:

how about self control?
RedSnapper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
how about self control?

I don't think some of you get it. I'm not talking about getting drawn into flame wars. I'm talking about my screen being flooded with the same mindless, content-free, policy envelope-pushing sludge from the same people in every thread, and the impact it has on my enjoyment of the site, and the inhibitory effect it has on my inclination to participate.

I can only assume that the same effects are felt by other board members, with the perverse effect that it ends up further reducing the quality of discussion.

Worried about shrinking the size of the community? I don't see how it could do that. It may shrink the size of the community visible to individual members who choose to take advantage of such a feature. Honestly, I can't see how that is a bad thing. They can always stop ignoring those users, or choose to view a single post by them if they want.

The only legitimate objection I have read here is the issue of the work involved with incorporating the ignore feature into the site. I can't speak to that, because I don't know how much work is involved, or if a "turn-key" option is available from the service provider.

Short of that, anyone who doesn't want the feature does not have to use it.

I will admit that the ignore feature is not a panacea for a board that has an overpowering infestation of participants incapable of meaningful debate or conversation. The fan board I was using that offered this feature was just so filled with this kind of member, that I ended up leaving it completely, after spending 10 years there, the first couple as a moderator. I've since found another board for that team that has a much stronger enforcement policy, and also has a "by invitation only" members board that attracts participation by featuring its "insiders" posts on that forum first. Their free board without ignore is much better than the old one was with it, and the members board is like heaven and filled with adult conversation and discussions of events from an inside perspective not available anywhere else.

So, there is more than one way to skin a cat. However, it would take a major culture shift for this board to be able to offer the same feel without the "ignore" feature. And THIS approach would 'cull the herd" significantly, as opposed to the ignore feature, which would merely allow for selective vision of the same huge herd.

If anyone has specific questions about how it was implemented elsewhere (such as some of those above) feel free to PM me. (I am not sure those asking it are interested enough for me to answer here right now.)
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject:

I feel like I'm the only person on this board who doesn't hate someone else.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: