Minimal number of posts before creating a new thread?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Minimal number of posts before creating a new thread?

I have seen, not many, but several spam threads created in the Off-Topic forum in the past few weeks that are getting really annoying. There is one right now for online pharmacies (I am sure it will be gone before I click "submit" now). But this got me thinking about a suggestion I had before. I don't even know if it is possible to do, or if the staff here is at all interested.

Is there a way to make it so a user has to meet a certain number of posts before they can create a new thread? Like maybe 5-10? Preferably more, but that is just my opinion. Since these are likely spambots that create these new threads, and they won't return once they make a spam posting, it could stop them from creating these inane threads.

Also, it could be useful so that newbies cannot create redundant threads (and yes, I am aware veterans here are as likely to post redundant threads as anyone else).

If someone who does not meet the minimal requirements to post a new thread desperately need to create a new thread, they can be directed to speak to a moderator about creating it for them.

But seriously, how often does that happen where it absolutely, positively, without question, must be posted right away?

Just a suggestion. I will step off my soapbox now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject:

Yeah, it's a good suggestion, but I don't know how effective.

We now use manual verification for new accounts, and now that Phil's doing it, he's still developing his senses as to which are legit and which are spambots. So I expect the problem to lessen pretty soon.

As it is, I think I prefer the spambots creating new threads -- if we take that away, then they'll adjust by replying to existing threads. New threads are easy to find and clean up. Replies in existing threads will be harder.

The real solution is to do some things to prevent them from registering in the first place. We have some ideas, and will be tacking it in the near future (I'm finishing up another issue right now, and I only have so much time....)

As it is, right now LG gets about one spambot registration an hour. I'm sure Phil will appreciate whatever we do so he doesn't have to sort through them all!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject:

You guys rock!

KB Dynasty
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Wow wouldn't that take a long time. You guys probably get like 100 more registrations a day. So if you guys skip a day that would make it 200 a day or more. Must be really boring doing that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: