Is Mitch making a mistake limiting contracts to 2 years?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Mitch making a mistake limiting contracts to 2 years?
Yes, it is a mistake
35%
 35%  [ 25 ]
No, it's worth it
64%
 64%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 71

cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Is Mitch making a mistake limiting contracts to 2 years?

If we loose out on PG's like Dainels, Jaric, and Watson is Mitch making a mistake hoping we will land a free agent 2 years from now? Or is it worth it to just take what we can get until then even if it means not getting a starting quality point guard because none of them will take a two year deal?

Last edited by cital on Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lakes4Life
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject:

def only take two year deals, Lebrons coming summer 07
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject:

But LeBron will be restricted, no way the Cavs let him walk
Lakes4Life
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject:

yes they will when he holds them hostage, Lamar odom will be sent there in sign and trade in the summer of 07 .LBJ wants to be a Laker.watch
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject:

LakerBaker wrote:

Well apparently the Lakers know something because they are stringently adhering to the no new contract beyond 2007. I don't believe they'd do this without knowing exactly who they are going after and believing they could pull it off.

In some posts made by Lionel the Laker yesterday he basically told us that it was Lebron that we were after in 2007 and that there was a way around his restricted contract. Mysteriously, all those posts and the reply's that mentioned the deal (including several of mine) are all missing today. Also all the posts that mentioned moving the thread to the "Skybox" are missing as well. Interesting…
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:
LakerBaker wrote:

Well apparently the Lakers know something because they are stringently adhering to the no new contract beyond 2007. I don't believe they'd do this without knowing exactly who they are going after and believing they could pull it off.

In some posts made by Lionel the Laker yesterday he basically told us that it was Lebron that we were after in 2007 and that there was a way around his restricted contract. Mysteriously, all those posts and the reply's that mentioned the deal (including several of mine) are all missing today. Also all the posts that mentioned moving the thread to the "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" are missing as well. Interesting…

That is interesting, I didn't know about that. If is is for a player like LeBron than it is definitly worth the wait.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:
LakerBaker wrote:

In some posts made by Lionel the Laker yesterday he basically told us that it was Lebron that we were after in 2007 and that there was a way around his restricted contract. Mysteriously, all those posts and the reply's that mentioned the deal (including several of mine) are all missing today. Also all the posts that mentioned moving the thread to the "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" are missing as well. Interesting…

He never said Labron. Someone assumed that. It was later clarified that he was talking about someone else. Labron will never be a Laker. Cleveland, the league would never let that happen.
Bestlakersfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject:

We had a similar strategy when we went after Shaq and this is Dr. Buss's strategy. We must bow down and let it happen. Lebron will be here
GUARANTEED!!!!!!!!
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Wow, first the KG pipe now were onto the LBJ pipe. What's next Duncan?
LA_NATIVE
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject:

We are not going after Lebron we are going after Wade
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject:

I am a mitch supporter but I think this is a mistake...

If they can getgreat talent now and it puts them over the cap, so be it...as long as they are still winning, I don't see the problem...

If they are looking to LBJ/Amare/Yao as savoirs of the franchise or putting us over the top, they are delusional...

I think the Kwame thing is good because Kwame hasn't proven anything yet...we don't need to be tied to a long term contract with a guy like that...

AD is on the old side so a shorter contract would help prevent overpaying when he starts to break down...

But if they have a chance to snag a young stud and lock him up for 6 years, I think it would be unwise not to...

But I don't know what they know..who knows what they have been promised...
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject:

The only contract that Kupchak is apparently trying to limit to 2 years is AD.

Bynum's contract is a standard 1st round pick deal, Kwame's has a 3rd year team option, Turiaf's is a standard 2nd round pick deal.
Lakes4Life
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Bynums is also only two years guaranteed under provisions of the new CBA
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject:

The Dagger wrote:
Startrout wrote:
LakerBaker wrote:

He never said Labron. Someone assumed that. It was later clarified that he was talking about someone else. Labron will never be a Laker. Cleveland, the league would never let that happen.

There is no question he was talking about Lebron and he even indirectly confirmed it in later posts. Whether he was telling the truth is another matter, but there can be no other interpretation of what he said. I read his posts very carefully and wasn't the only one to come to that conclusion. There's no reason those posts would be removed if what I'm saying isn't correct.

Last edited by Startrout on Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Well, if those posts were removed, why would you REPOST the info in them????

If you care about the Lakers, put away this obsession with knowing every little detail of the plan...and NEVER reveal something that could hurt LA Lakers...

In other words...stop posting stuff that others OBVIOUSLY don't want posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject:

GameCock-MD wrote:

If you care about the Lakers, put away this obsession with knowing every little detail of the plan...and NEVER reveal something that could hurt LA Lakers...

In other words...stop posting stuff that others OBVIOUSLY don't want posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the mods of this site are going to remove posts and cover up something like this (which they clearly are), then they should have thought about shooting an email to me and others who already responded to Lionels posts last night. I don't care to see such an interesting thread disappear along with my own posts without so much as I'm sorry we have to do this for the good the Lakers email. If they asked me and told me why they were doing it I'd be more likely to go along with the cover up. So for now I'm speaking up because I'm in the dark about the specifics of what happened. Especially, when other people/forum leader seem to be intentionally leading people to believe other things today. I can quote several of Lionel's comments and am restraining from doing so thus far on this site and others because I agree with you, that it could cause problems with the deal.

I'd like to be allowed into the skybox so I can continue to read about this more. None the less no hard feelings. You'd have to put yourself in my shoes to really understand how it feels to know something like this and then all evidence of it suddenly vanishes and now I look like a fool for saying it.

So for now, I guess your right, its not Lebron we're after… wink
CorkyTomjanovich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject:

This is a mistake. Players want security, 2-3 year does not equal a whole lot of security for most players. And if we miss out on some quality players, like Daniels, because Mitch would give him a 4 year deal, im gonna be upset.
Lionel The Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject:

In this case its not a mistake.
LFsnz67
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Ignoring all the peripheral/long-term planning/dreaming, I'm not convinced that Daniel's agent's call for the Lakers to offer a 5 year MLE deal is at all worth it.

I know many teams are overpaying this summer but this is too much for Daniels...
abc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

If the mods of this site are going to remove posts and cover up something like this (which they clearly are), then they should have thought about shooting an email to me and others who already responded to Lionels posts last night. I don't care to see such an interesting thread disappear along with my own posts without so much as I'm sorry we have to do this for the good the Lakers email. If they asked me and told me why they were doing it I'd be more likely to go along with the cover up. So for now I'm speaking up because I'm in the dark about the specifics of what happened. Especially, when other people/forum leader seem to be intentionally leading people to believe other things today. I can quote several of Lionel's comments and am restraining from doing so thus far on this site and others because I agree with you, that it could cause problems with the deal.

I'd like to be allowed into the Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious so I can continue to read about this more. None the less no hard feelings. You'd have to put yourself in my shoes to really understand how it feels to know something like this and then all evidence of it suddenly vanishes and now I look like a fool for saying it.

So for now, I guess your right, its not Lebron we're after… wink

Conspiracy theories tied to DVDs of high school highlights... Crazy stuff. I hope I remember this thread and the deleted threads in two summers....
DNA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject:

There's a very important reason to keep that capspace. And it's to counter what teams like the Nuggets and Rockets are doing.
Let's say for a second that Amare decided to sign with the Rockets(since he fits much better there) when his contract is up, then we need to counter that by making space for Lebron. We can point to the Rockets and tell Lebron that he's not riding coattails if he came to us, and force his team to sign-and-trade with us. If not, then we can wait till the following year and sign him outright.
Right now, it's like an arms race, and the team that gets lucky with the superstar free agent will become the superpower.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject:

LFsnz67 wrote:
Ignoring all the peripheral/long-term planning/dreaming, I'm not convinced that Daniel's agent's call for the Lakers to offer a 5 year MLE deal is at all worth it.

I know many teams are overpaying this summer but this is too much for Daniels...

Yeah, I agree 5 years is probably too long considering his age and that he's not an all-star level player. 3 years sounds more like it. However, if we loose him because we won't give him more than two years I'm fine with it. If the Lakers are insistent on not taking any contracts longer than 2 years there's a good reason. I'll be happy to wait to see what it is
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject:

DNA wrote:
There's a very important reason to keep that capspace. And it's to counter what teams like the Nuggets and Rockets are doing.
Let's say for a second that Amare decided to sign with the Rockets(since he fits much better there) when his contract is up, then we need to counter that by making space for Lebron. We can point to the Rockets and tell Lebron that he's not riding coattails if he came to us, and force his team to sign-and-trade with us. If not, then we can wait till the following year and sign him outright.
Right now, it's like an arms race, and the team that gets lucky with the superstar free agent will become the superpower.

Nice post DNA!
_LAKESHOW_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject:

i like the "countdown 2007" deal, and lets just call it that for now. but i like the move because it shows that at least MITCH HAS A PLAN! at least there is a plan in which to maneuver this franchise. on the other hand, we could have the isaiah thomas plan, which is . . . which is . . . heck, nobody knows what the hell hes up to. with that much money, it just seems hes living from year to year. or trying to make something happen now . . . continuously. seemingly almost always over the cap. overpaying rejects. drafting terribly. and when a lebron or a yao hits the market, he wont be able to make the move. because no one wants the garbage that hes got for sale. for example, i believe they wanted to get kwame, but didnt have anything to offer.
anyways, im likin the idea. there is a plan for 2007, and that if we play our cards right, we could land a top prize.
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Mitch, keep to the plan. Look at the teams that are overpaying these FA's. Teams that know how to do one thing ... lose.

AD would be a nice pickup. However, he like a lot of these FA's are coming off ONE good year. Look at Hughes' contract after one good year. Un-real.

We offer AD a starting job. I don't believe anyone else is doing that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: