Mitch- Rate His Performace So Far This Offseason

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Rate Mitch's Moves So Far /10
12%
 12%  [ 12 ]
12%
 12%  [ 12 ]
32%
 32%  [ 31 ]
28%
 28%  [ 27 ]
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 95

OscarWang
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Mitch- Rate His Performace So Far This Offseason

I'd give him a 7/10

I really liked our draft, but I'm not to sure on the Wafer pick, I believe there was a good PG out there still, forgot who it was though.

As for the Kwame trade, I'm actually 50/50 on it. Caron played very well last year, and he has All-Star potential. Atkins, I don't care about that guy. But Kwame really is questionable. His attitude of coming here to LA is much like Bynum, its good, but what if this move comes back to bite us? We just lost a PG and a top scorer. Not to mention Caron was very close to Kobe. But, if it pays off, and Kwame turns into an all-star or whatever, then we will have Kobe, Kwame, AND Odom on the same team?

I just think the Lakers can complete the roster by moving some people who arnt really needed such as:

Atkins- Oh wait, he's gone...YES!
Medwhatever- shoots all the time, mostly bricks
George- PJ got pissed at him last year for posting up, confidence was lost. George can be swapped as many teams persued him.
Grant- Do we really need a guy who gets nearly the same money as Kobe, but plays 2 mins a game? If we were to keep him, it would be too teach Bynum and Kwame the game.

Questionables:
Sasha- Hasn't really shown too much, and he needs to develop better passing and hands. He won't become a starter anytime soon, but we can become an explosive player off the bench. He just needs to get meaner.
Bynum- I love this guy, he already says he will become the next big all-star. Can he prove it? I'd love to see him dunk in Shaq's face.
8)
Wafer- I have not watched him play, but I ahve heard good stuff about him.
JJones- Great shooter, good trade bait, but he can become the Rick Fox or Shaw of our offence. His PPG went up 5 pts. 2-7
Mihm- Best game was his first in LA. Needs to become more dominant, and rebound more. Good game though.

Interesting/Great Players:
- Kobe, Can he do well with Phil? Can he go a season without a feud? We'll see.
- RT: Great player as Ive seen. Good hands, attitude, tall guard. Will floruish in our system.
- Odom: Can he really become the SP of our team? He has it in him, but can he come the all-star everybody wants him to be

Last edited by OscarWang on Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ko8e8ryant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject:

This thread could get ugly.
Kuroro
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject:

:roll:
OscarWang
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Okay fine, Ill change the topic
CorkyTomjanovich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Mitch is doing good, but why do the Lakers need so much cap space a few years down the road?

Get Daniels in here.
GunShot
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: If You Were In-Front of Mitch, What Would You Say To Him?

MasTaFUsion wrote:
Do you love him or hate him?

I would go "Mitch, can I ask you a question...Why are you so stupid?"

:roll:

OscarWang
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I changed the topic to something nicer
floater
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject:

once a deal is final come on lg and explain your rationale
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject:

I'd tell Mitch to ignore the haters, and get on with his job. I wish I could throw rocks at all the fools that booed him when the old Lakers team was introduced last year at Staples before a game.
GunShot
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject:

MasTaFUsion wrote:
Ok, I changed the topic to something nicer

Ok, that's better.
Voice Of Reason
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject:

I'd tell him his work isn't done yet.

Henry Abbott: Coach Thorpe, what makes you think Lamar Odom has what it takes to succeed in the competitive world of shoe sales?
OscarWang
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Personally, I think Mitch should really go after another swingman
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject:

If he gets AD, and gets Eric Piatkowski and a veteran banger big man, I give him an 8, and may even think about the 9.
OscarWang
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject:

I dont like EP...seems too weak
lkrsdudugold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject:

I voted 7. I think that's the obvious place to rate his performance so far because while he's done good he aint quite there yet. There's no starting PG. Can't give him anything lower than a 7 but don't want to start handing out those 8's and 9's quite yet. p.s. I voted 7 before I saw that everybody else saw it as an obvious 7, if picking the right draftees and making the right trades were this easy
Psychosis
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject:

well , so far , Mitch has done a solid job , he off-loaded our SF position , while trading average talent ( Butler ) for a guy who , with a right guidance , could be the next JO. I like that move , you cant play safe and be a contender , look at Phoenix , they signed 30 year-old PG with no D, who turned out to be a MVP...

Mitch gambled with Bynum , which is clearly a move for the future , also Mitch took Ronnie in the draft , which may be the next Brian Grant ( 5-6 years ago Brian Grant , when his knees were ok ) .

overall , he did a good job so far this season , if he can finish off that AD deal and bring another shot-blocker ( Ratliff type guy , but cheaper ) , i would definitely give him a 9.
djb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject:

I voted 1 to balance out whoever it was that voted 10.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Goals

Hire the best coach available. Phil Jackson has the best track record of any NBA coach. -- Mission accomplished.

Draft a center, a PF, and a guard with excellent upside for the position they are drafted. The draft isn't only about filling needs, but also about the future. -- Mission accomplished

Bynum C -- possibly the best player in the draft at #10

Turiaf PF -- possibly the steal of the second round, some were speaking of taking him as high as #17

Wafter SG -- possibly the best guard in the second round

Trade for a young veteran PF -- Kwame Brown was obtained relatively cheaply. He has tremendous upside still. He has the size to matchup with the biggest PFs in the West. -- Mission accomplished.

Obtain veteran big guard with defensive skills using the exceptions. -- Partially complete, but in progress.

Trade Chucky to remove him from the team. -- Mission accomplished.

Balance the squad by trading away at least one SF than gained -- Butler is being moved to the Wiz. -- Mission accomplished.

Discover at least one player able to make the roster out of the SPL and camp. Smush Parker looks very good at PG. -- Mission accomplished.

Overall Rating: 9 with a possibility of 10. All the basic goals have been accomplished if a PG can be found using the MLE.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject:

It's difficult to grade him at this point.

If both of Kwame and Bynum end up being productive starters for this team long term, then it'd be an ecstatic 10.

If one of them pans out, it'd still be a 9 or 10.

If none of them pans out, it'd be below 5.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Still INCOMPLETE at this point. We have NO IDEA what Bynum and Brown can do.

For now, if effort counts -- I'm giving him a A-. on that alone. If, if, IF we at least appear to be down-to-the wire with AD or Watson or SOMEONE to fill the PG spot, solid A.

For now, signing Phil (whenever the deal was sealed), taking a long-term roll of the dice on Bynum; dealing aggressively for Kwame; making the exact right pick on Turiaf; plucking a new SPL-favorite with a "WhoTF is that" pick in the 2nd round with Nilla -- I mean, Von Wafer; dealing out a potential lockerroom cancer in Chucky; and going after the consensus/ presumably best available choice -- AD -- for our backcourt void... the man is WORKING this summer, that's for sure.

MIM
In the paint
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject:

angel wrote:
Goals

Hire the best coach available. Phil Jackson has the best track record of any NBA coach. -- Mission accomplished.

Draft a center, a PF, and a guard with excellent upside for the position they are drafted. The draft isn't only about filling needs, but also about the future. -- Mission accomplished

Bynum C -- possibly the best player in the draft at #10

Turiaf PF -- possibly the steal of the second round, some were speaking of taking him as high as #17

Wafter SG -- possibly the best guard in the second round

Trade for a young veteran PF -- Kwame Brown was obtained relatively cheaply. He has tremendous upside still. He has the size to matchup with the biggest PFs in the West. -- Mission accomplished.

Obtain veteran big guard with defensive skills using the exceptions. -- Partially complete, but in progress.

Trade Chucky to remove him from the team. -- Mission accomplished.

Balance the squad by trading away at least one SF than gained -- Butler is being moved to the Wiz. -- Mission accomplished.

Discover at least one player able to make the roster out of the SPL and camp. Smush Parker looks very good at PG. -- Mission accomplished.

Overall Rating: 9 with a possibility of 10. All the basic goals have been accomplished if a PG can be found using the MLE.

Most of this sounds right to me. However, I think 1 additional big man is needed to ensure stability at PF/C positions.
OPMSm0k3r
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Being as this is Mitch we are talking about. I gave him a 8/10. Reason? This is probably the most productive offseason I've seen in a LONG time. But if this were any other GM?...probably only a 6 or 7 at best. Reason? Because everything we've done so far has potential but nothing else. If everything pans out...maybe a 8 or 9. But if not...I'm guessing around 4 to 5.

But so far so good Mitch...BIG improvement over previous years. Where you brought in who knows how many failures.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject:

7/10

1. Very good draft. All athletic players of varying degrees with the skills to compliment.
2. Not an 8 or 9 because I think the Lakers could've done better with Butler.
3. Score could go up pending the PG situation and if Parker/Wafer make the roster while Cook/Medvedenko go to the NBDL.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
eagle816
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject:

For now, I would give Kupchak a B. The draft is solid, especially with Wafer looking like a second round gem. Love the trade for Kwame -- getting a young big with great upside for an above average small forward and a backup point guard. If he could sign a PG (Daniels, Jaric, or Watson) for MLE, and unload Grant and the expiring contracts for Ratliff, Patterson, and Bender in separate deals, then his offseason work would definitely be an A.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: