detroit's draft picks: reebok SL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: detroit's draft picks: reebok SL

disgusting! how is detroit drafting these gems?

the pistons drafted late. who'd they get?

jason maxiell 26th, alex acker 60th & amir johnson 56th.

IMO, at some point in time, all three players will be playing in the nba & eventually making solid contributions (especially maxiell & acker).

wow, this maxiel kid has major skills.

jason maxiel might not get much PT with almost all the pistons coming back (many of you know how much I dislike the pistons). but to sit and watch this las vegas summer league, in awe of jason maxiel, who along with nate robinson, might be two of the very best players, in this reebok SL.

and the worst part of all, are these players are pistons!
L33T kObE8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject:

We didn't do too bad either my friend, don't be jealous.
corral301
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject:

They have a long way to go to make up for Darko though. Delfino is not looking so hot right now either.
OPMSm0k3r
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject:

Maxiell is gonna have a tough time in the league. He's much too unathletic to be able to make a contribution. Maybe will get 10mpg at the most...if that. Actually, that all depends on if Brown wants to play him. We all know that Brown hates rookies.
lionballer7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject:

HOw is Delfino looking? Does anyone know how well has he looked in the summer league?
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject:

L33T: they've done VERY well; they're nba finalists, have a championship calibre team intact; picked 26th, 46th & 50th and these draft picks look very good.

corral301: delfino's working more on his passing and hopes to get minutes, following his injury of last year. darko, won't get the minutes behind wallace(s), mcDyess, maxiell, etc. darko has bulked up significantly. however,

OPMSm0k3r wrote:
Maxiell is gonna have a tough time in the league. He's much too unathletic to be able to make a contribution. Maybe will get 10mpg at the most...if that. Actually, that all depends on if Brown wants to play him. We all know that Brown hates rookies.

OP: thanks for discussion one of the regarded players:

jason maxiell, alex acker & amir johnson, will eventually play in this league. I disagree about his athleticism. maxiell is a banger with excellent footwork; and a nose for the ball. throughout the year, a few of the pistons will take some time off, being more geared towards the playoffs; this will allow PT for maxiell.

whether these players make the team is one thing. however, my comments relate to the eventual expectation that the above three, especially maxiell and acker, will one day play in the nba. it'a always wise to be aware of the future names; regardless of one's current assessment of that given player. I love watching footwork, aggressiveness and attitude.

acker & maxiell I'm told have a very good chance of making the squad (maxiell might avoid the D league altogether). acker WILL BE invited to training camp with high regard for his play.
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject:

lionballer: delfino is looking to distribute more than score. also on the upside, his outlet passes off of rebounds looks promising. delfino on several occasions has looked up the court and pinpoint the passes; one even to a "streaking darko" (for a dunk)

delfino apparently been advised to work on specific parts of his game by larry brown and joe dumars; so he is NOT specifically trying to impress the coaching by scoring.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject:

is Brown a lock to comeback?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject:

Maxiell is like Turiaf... just shorter with better footwork and certainly more skilled in the post.

Acker is a quick SG with a jumper. That's all it really boils down to. Peeler JR.

Amir Johnson? Athletic big.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: detroit's draft picks: reebok SL

jeremysnow wrote:

<cough-Darko-cough>

Soda
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunltely for them, SPL is not the NBA. Even so, Darko did poor in SPL.
L33T kObE8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
L33T: they've done VERY well; they're nba finalists, have a championship calibre team intact; picked 26th, 46th & 50th and these draft picks look very good.

And... when did we started talking about their championship team? You clearly began the thread talking about their draft. And all I said was we didn't do too bad...
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject:

if you want to communicate fine; if not, then consider your ending comments, akin to that of a backhand compliment.

comments like yours have a way of starting infantile debates; if that's your intention, then don't expect me to acknowledge any more of you inane comments.

I'll do you a favor by not responding any further to any of your comments.

L33T kObE8 wrote:
Quote:

And... when did we started talking about their championship team? You clearly began the thread talking about their draft. And all I said was we didn't do too bad...

L33T kObE8 wrote:
We didn't do too bad either my friend, don't be jealous.
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject:

I'll revisit this thread in december 05.

remember the comments are in regards to maxiell & acker.

Not darko!!!
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Is Amir Johnson the high schooler from the LA area? I didn't know he entered the draft. Asleep at the switch I guess.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject:

^ He stayed in the draft because he couldn't qualify academically for college.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject:

jeremysnow...

I LOVE Jason Maxiell!! I wanted him sooo badly with our 37th pick, but of course, Detroit snagged him early - and they got themselves one HELL of a player! He's not the biggest cat out there, but he is VERY strong, VERY physical and can really leap to aggressively block shots. He's even shown in the SPL that he can hit the perimeter J or take his man off-the-dribble a little bit. He's the typical Cincinati player - he's super-aggressive, very athletic and is intense on defense. I don't think he'll ever be a full-time starter in the NBA, but man, what a great player to have coming off your bench. But with that said, I think we got a pretty good player in Ronny Turaif - who's bigger, runs the floor better and has better passing and court awareness than Maxiell. I'm VERY happy with Ronny!!

Acker is just a solid, unselfish, big combo-guard who just likes to get others involved, play strong perimeter D and hit the open shot. I kinda see him as a Brian Shaw-type. He'll just be a solid guard who's ability to do the little things and make others better should keep him in the league for a long time. Frankly, I didn't think he'd even get drafted, so it just goes to show that Joe Dumars is quite a talent finder. Once again, at #39, IMO, I would have gone with Orien Greene, but Von Wafer is showing he can explode offensively, but Acker's D and unselfishness is really nice, so it's too early to really tell.

I was actually a little surprised to see that Amir fell as far as 56. He's big, skilled and very athletic. The pick could be seen by some as a "risk" because he's so raw and young, but that late in the 2nd round, that's when you take risks. With a kid like Amir, it's really all up to him. He's in a great organization with a lot of quality people around him, so it's all up to him to embrace his situation and grow as a baketball player. If he has a strong work ethic, the sky's the limit for him. Very smart pick at 56 - even if he doesn't pan out.

In general, I've just been totally impressed with Joe D - who, IMO, is a modern-day Jerry West. Joe did a little coal mining and may have unearthed himself a couple of diamonds.
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject:

B_P wrote:

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:45 am :
..........In general, I've just been totally impressed with Joe D - who, IMO, is a modern-day Jerry West. Joe did a little coal mining and may have unearthed himself a couple of diamonds.

B_P: thanks!!!!

I knew there were a few POSTERS, who had seen these three players; and to appreciate the skill of the talent evaluators, i.e. joe dumars & his staff. and, as noted per original note; i.e. they're being drafted as late as they were," cognizant of their potential (maxiell, acker & johnson)....(a couple of the posters above (one who I have a high regard for), "missed the original message" alluding to darko..... who I in NO WAY have much regard for).

yes WE KNOW IT'S summer league*!!! however, maxiell, acker and johnson, look to me to have the skills to move to this next level (as per my observation in the LV- SL). these guys caught my eye, especially maxiell & acker.
(*don't mean to beat my own drum, however, I have occasionally, attended SL play in recent & "not so recent" years).

However, I recall trevor ariza playing last year; he looked impressive at the pyramid last summer league. the guy had talent and you KNEW he had a HIGH probability for upside. I thought so (at the time). however, there were a few that alluded to his UCLA days (like on another website MANY years ago; regarding the drafting of MARK EATON, another UCLA project by Frank Layden. eaton went on for a few DPOYs with the utah jazz). (sorry to digress ).

a key point of this thread, is exactly what you have alluded to, i.e. joe dumars & his staff, are incredibly sharp on their picks LATE in the rounds. they are doing what SA have done for the past few years.

imo, the "modern day JW" is doing better that even the "old day JW."

thanks again for your keen eye.

Quote:

you may recall, I've done threads in the past, that included players such as: carlos boozer (pre-draft recommendation), mike james (after being waived by the heat in '01), melvin ely (who isn't doing that well). you also added a few names, e.g. antonio burks, numerous others who have done very well in the nba.

recently, in a previous thread, you gave a thumbsup on aaron miles. IMO, I feel aaron miles will make the NBA at some point in time. I agree with you, regarding his decision making & on ball defense. funny you compared him favorably to gilchrist (as being a BETTER & smarter play maker). gilchrist is looking good, in the SL action. so if all goes wells for miles, he'll eventually, get into the league (if all the planets line up in his favor).
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
jeremysnow wrote:

<cough-Darko-cough>

Soda

angel wrote:
Unfortunltely for them, SPL is not the NBA. Even so, Darko did poor in SPL.

who's talking about darko?

missing the point; see above note. ^^^

soda: this discussion is not about the detroit's draft three years ago, it's about the '05 draftees: maxiell, acker & johnson, i.e. two of which have impressed me in SL play.

picking darko as the #2 pick in the '03 draft, was a clear mistake! IMO looking at this year's draft, detroit's has apparently learned from that major snafu.

'03 #1 mistake: (listed as per draft order)
Code:

Detroit      Darko Milicic
Denver       Carmelo Anthony
Toronto      Chris Bosh
Miami        Dwyane Wade
LAC          Chris Kaman
Chicago      Kirk Hinrich
Bucks        TJ Ford
New York     Mike Sweetney
Wizards      Jarvis Hayes
Warriors     MickaĆ«l Pietrus
Seattle      Nick Collison
Memphis      Marcus Banks
Seattle      Luke Ridnour
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject:

I remember when Delfino came in a lot of people were optimistic about him. Though remembering the playoffs, he really pissed off Larry Brown. I can say he's not a gem.
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject:

delfino, looked ok to average in the SL games that I'd watched. however, he's has NOT been overly impressive.

maxiell looks like a player!!! so does acker. I also like what I see in johnson. (hope he can maintain a high level of motivation, in order to remain at the nba level).
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Not saying I don't think Detroit drafted well this year.

Just saying, how you pick with a #2 overall is a HUGE, HUGE thing. That flat out can KILL how you draft for years afterwards, especially if you don't have another top 10 pick to work with.

That single player is potentially a franchise guy, and they screwed it up.

I was just pointing out, as others have already, that Detroit's drafting well the last couple years is still only STARTING to make up for missing all the players they could have drafted in PLACE of Darko.

I already have mentioned, albeit awhile back and prior to the draft, that I liked Maxiell going into the draft. Then again, I'm not so sure I'd give up Turiaf or even Wafer now that I've seen them both play.

Maxiell can post his numbers in the SPL, but being undersized as he is will hinder him further in the actual NBA. Do I still think he was a smart pick for the Pistons? Definately.

Just saying, I bet you they'd give up every pick they made and pick again if they could get a do over on Darko.

Soda
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
Not saying I don't think Detroit drafted well this year.

Just saying, how you pick with a #2 overall is a HUGE, HUGE thing. That flat out can KILL how you draft for years afterwards, especially if you don't have another top 10 pick to work with.

That single player is potentially a franchise guy, and they screwed it up.

I was just pointing out, as others have already, that Detroit's drafting well the last couple years is still only STARTING to make up for missing all the players they could have drafted in PLACE of Darko.

I already have mentioned, albeit awhile back and prior to the draft, that I liked Maxiell going into the draft. Then again, I'm not so sure I'd give up Turiaf or even Wafer now that I've seen them both play.

Maxiell can post his numbers in the SPL, but being undersized as he is will hinder him further in the actual NBA. Do I still think he was a smart pick for the Pistons? Definately.

Just saying, I bet you they'd give up every pick they made and pick again if they could get a do over on Darko.

Soda

perhaps, yet besides the point.

the initial discussion is NOT about darko or the '03 draft; or it's implications thereafter, or anything other than I'd commented on. I do not intend to be scrutinized for any comments beyond the initial comment (so please refer to that given comment).

and your off topic point IS well taken.

but I'm NOT discussing that.

as I've done in the past, and I'm confident in what I've seen. I think my comments on maxiell stands. acker will need a team that gives him PT.

we'll revisit this thread in december 05.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Fair enough man, I just read your original post again and you're right, it's only really talking about this year's picks from the Pistons.

My bad, I was pretty much just responding to some of the other things people had said and didn't realize you'd meant to just talk about this year.

For what it's worth though, besides the point or not, if we're gonna go off on the Pistons being all genius in the draft (and yeah generally they're pretty solid lately), ya just can't ignore how terrible (and critical) a pick Darko was for them.

Soda
jeremysnow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject:

for that matter, you can't ignore that portland drafted sam bowie instead of jordan.

milicic was NOT worth the pick. it's only lately that dumars has removed a few of the last pieces of tar 'n feathers on him.

IMO, the scouts of many teams did an exemplary job assessing the talent of this deep draft.

or was it luck? e.g. turiaf (luck) vs. wafer (I think this was good scouting; wafer looks to be a nice pickup, that dropped below the radar (for several reasons; some apparently unjustified).

problem also for wafer, this was a deep draft.

hope wafer turns out.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: