Two Options the Lakers should look at(long)

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which trade would you do?
Option 1
66%
 66%  [ 16 ]
Option 2
33%
 33%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 24

Hye4life
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Two Options the Lakers should look at(long)

It is widely known that Lorenzen Wright has demanded a trade and that the Memphis Grizzlies are trying to trade Bonzi Wells. They are both very good role players who can play defense. The Grizzlies have made it known that they want expiring contracts for their players. So what can the Lakers offer them? Expiring Contracts.

Lakers trade: Vlade Divac(gives them 3 million in cap room after he is bought out).
Devean George(Expiring contract worth 5 mill)
Slava Medvedenko(Expiring Contract worth 3 mill., also a servicable big man when given time)
Jumaine Jones(Expiring contract worth about 2 mill)

Memphis trades: Lorenzen Wright
Bonzi Wells

Team outlook: MLE/LLE
Kobe/Wafer
Odom/Bonzi/Walton
Brown/Grant/Turiaff
Wright/Mihm/Bynum

The second option might be a trade with the Orlando Magic for Christie and Cato for Divac, George, Slava, Jones. Again Orlando would buy out Divac's contract and save a roster spot plus 3 million dollars. I prefer the first trade because Bonzi and Wright are relatively young compared to Christi and Cato.

Team outlook: Christie/LLE
Kobe/Wafer
Odom/Walton
Brown/Grant/Turiaff
Mihm/Cato/Bynum
nextphenom23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject:

Thats good a deal. I dont want Christie or Cato. I really would like to have Wells and Wright.

The Spurs will never live up to the dynasty we created
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject:

hye4life - you got the jump on me by 5 minutes because i was going to post that orlando idea myself - in fact, im betting that it actually is being discussed as we speak !

but first for the mephis idea - like you said - they are strapped for cash, and what you're suggesting is INCREASING their payroll...
they can just let bonzi go...
so that is just bad logic.

now for the magic deal - that should be the lakers' next move - it just makes too much sense.

christie is cancer in orlando and wants out to the west coast.
the magic want to cut salaries.
for some reason - cato has also fallen out of favour with the magic - they are even looking at guys like shareef to move into the starting line up for cato.
however - the lakers would absolutly love to get cato - he'll be perfect, and christie is a pottential that is sure worth exploring in a phil jackson team as well.
the lakers can also offer money savings with divac's contract, and the usuall 125% rule in trades.

the package will be: divac, george, slava, cook for christie and cato.
the magic will save around 6 million - not including tax = 12 million by doing this deal.
the lakers will get two usefull players.
this makes too much sense for it not to be discussed right now between the teams.

im a little concerned about trading for ex. contracts because we would almost certainly lose any player with an expiring contract next summer when we refuse to resign him for anything more than a 1 year guarenteed deal - so i would hate to lose cato, but i'd do the trade anyway, and worry about it next offseason.

that has to be the lakers' next move - makes too much sense not to happen.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject:

Option 1:

Caron with better handles and D
More polished Mihm

Option 2:

A guy who can masquerade as a triangle PG
An enforcer-type PF/C

I'd take either but I'd rather option 2 and I think only option 2 has a chance of happening not to mention even being discussed...
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Ditto that, I like Option 1 better but it's extremely unlikely they'd go for that deal. Option 2 ain't bad in theory, but I can't say I like Christie all that much.

I'd rather bring in a relatively young point, and one without such odd quirks off the court (well, and on the court if you cound Christie's whipped ILUVU signal he makes 32 times per game while still on the floor).

No better gag gift for a friend who's pressed over his girl than a Christie jersey wink:

Soda
Hye4life
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Davidse-You are right, Memphis could just not pick up Bonzi's option for next year if they are looking to save money. However, can't the same be said about Swift or Watson? I mean they could just let them go and save money, but they want to do sign and trades in which they want to receive back expiring contracts. So why would it be different with Bonzi's option? As it said in the article i read about Swift and Watson, they want expiring contracts, which the lakers can offer. Right now, I think the grizz would take solid role players who have expiring contracts plus divac's buyout which would save them 3 mill for two unhappy players.
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Both options would be sweet, but since I have to make a choice- option 2. Any deal that would give us a serviceable big body without giving up too much (is that even possible?) would be good.
AIRZOOMKOBE2k5
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject:

option 2..more defense
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject:

Hye4life wrote:
Davidse-You are right, Memphis could just not pick up Bonzi's option for next year if they are looking to save money. However, can't the same be said about Swift or Watson? I mean they could just let them go and save money, but they want to do sign and trades in which they want to receive back expiring contracts. So why would it be different with Bonzi's option? As it said in the article i read about Swift and Watson, they want expiring contracts, which the lakers can offer. Right now, I think the grizz would take solid role players who have expiring contracts plus divac's buyout which would save them 3 mill for two unhappy players.

hye4life - first of all - cap relief is a term that has nothing to do with memphis - weather they buy out vlade or not. they are just too far over the cap. all they might be able to gain is saving some money on salaries. but by letting bonzi go - they save a lot more ! and wright already has an expiring contract !

im sorry, but your whole logic is flawed about this.

the only scenario in which you'll see memphis do a sign and trade with bonzi, swift, or watson - is if the team that trades for them also takes either j-wil or cardinal too - the two worst long term contracts the grizzlies have. dumping a long term bad deal, would indeed be worth increasing memphis' payroll for one year, and that is something they will at least consider.
but why should they want to increase their payroll and expenses like you're suggesting, AND TAKE BACK WORSE PLAYERS ?
they'll probably be willing to sign and trade bonzi or swift without cardinal or j-will if it gets them back an all star, or borderline allstar, but george, jones and slava are not a good enough reason for any team to increase their payroll !
that's jerry west over there man, not scot layden...

think about it - you're suggesting they pay more salaries this year, trade their starting center, and get back george, slave and jones - whose contracts are exactly the same as wrights' - expiring.
sounds reasonable to you ?

will memphis be getting better players by doing this deal - or players they can use more than wright ?
no.
will they be paying less salaries this year by making this move ?
completley the opposite - they'll be paying more.
will they be in better salary cap position next summer by making this move ?
no again.

sorry, but this whole scenario is not even improbable - its impossible.

if you're planning a sign and trade with the grizzlies (bonzi, watson, or swift) for expiring contracts - you're only shot is involving cardinal or j-will in the trade.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject:

For what it's worth I read somewhere yesterday, an area paper I believe, that reported the Grizz won't entertain any S&T's because they don't want to take on more salary, even if it's another player they like from another team.

I'm not overly familiar with their long-term strategy cap-wise, but apparently they'll either sign those guys back or will flat-out let them go (if that report is correct).

S da
lakers*raiders
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject:

i'd love having wright start at center that way mihm can come off the bench where he's more comportable and bonzi wells is a great fit for the lakers because we need another scraper who can protect some of the players b/cuz the lakers arent the toughest team around
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: