Is Tyrus Thomas really that good?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Is Tyrus Thomas really that good?

How high is his trade Value?

From what I've seen, he sure does fall down a lot.

He can jump really high, but so could Stromile Swift.

What does Chicago think he can become?

He doesn't seem to have a lick of an offensive game. He's a good shot blocker, but so was Stromile Swift. He can throw it down pretty hard, but so can Swift. He has the potential to be a great defender, but again so does Swift

The Guy had a nice rookie season averaging 5.2 PPG, 1.1 BPG, 3.7 RPG in just 13.4 MPG. He shot 47.5 From the field and 60% from the line.

This year he has his minutes bumped up to 20.2 MPG and is averaging 6.7 PPG, 5.2 RPG, 0.7 BPG and shooting from the field is down to 40% and down to 55% from the line.

When ever we are going after a player like Gasol, KG, or whoever, I always hear that Chicago can offer Tyrus Thomas and Gordon.

Does this guy really have that much potential?

I know he'll never be a good offensive player, but does he have that much potential to be a real defensive powerhouse.

The Guy is 6'9 215 Pounds. About the Same Size Swift was when he entered the league. Swift is listed at 230 8 years later and like 8 years ago, only his occasional power dunks or strong block shots are impressive.

If Chicago would try to outbid us with Tyrus, why would Memphis want him when they already have Swift who is basically Tyrus in his prime.

If Gordon wants 70 a million dollar deal, the Grizzlies would't have his rights to resign him and Tyrus is just another Stromile Swift how can they outbid us. Then you have to factor in that Chicago would still be at least 2.5 Million short of making it work moneywise.

Wouldn't Odom/Crittendon or Odom, Turiaf be better than anything Chicago can offer without really killing their team.

I personally think Thomas will never come close to being an all-star or defensive stud some people think he will be.
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Thomas is off the charts athletic so has that big P-word attached to him always. If a GM is going to take a gamble, T. Thomas got the biggest upside to gamble on.

But I agree with your assessment he doesn't have much in the way of skills right now. He certainly could become another Stro Swift. On the other hand - I feel like Skiles has done a horrible job of managing this kid. No clearly defined role and not much opportunity. Maybe he wants to drill the kid and make him earn everything, but why does he keep giving PT to guys like Joe Smith instead? At some point he needs to give Thomas some extended run and see what he does with it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: