Start Wafer in the Backcourt with Kobe?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Start Wafer
Yes
47%
 47%  [ 61 ]
No
52%
 52%  [ 68 ]
Total Votes : 129

jbjb
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject:

Bit early in the off season to begin hyping an uncontracted rookie to start at the point. I like the way Wafer has looked in the SPL, but lets at least wait for training camp before handing over the team to an untested point.
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject:

8DimeandsShining
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Please do not confuse these young players we have on this Summer league team with past laker young rookies. All of our old rookies were looked to be spot up shooters for Shag or since we were picking so late, a big man for the sake of getting a big man. None of these previos rookies...matter of fact none of these previous LAKER teams have had athletes like these. (Cook, Walton, rush, slava etc...aint going baseline or catching and alley oop and dunking on anybody or defend..period...havent drafted and athlete since Kobe really. Every single one of these players (Even Eric Sandrin) is an athlete. The only two who are kinda robotic are Harvey and Sasha. Von Wafer has much, much better handles (nice crossover, drive left or right under control) than I initially thought, and after seeing him for the third time, I can say he could develop into a TRIANGLE PG pretty easily. He has the purest Jumpshot stroke Ive seen in a looong time. Fundamentals show you how consistent someones stroke will be...every shot looks the same..great shooter. Smush exxxxplosive, runs the offense well, instructs players where to go on the floor, but does over dribble here and there and doesnt always have his head up...correctable with practice good handles, Tough ball player. Will Conroy..pure floor leader, inconsistent shot, but reminds me sooooo much of fish, Floor burn type of point and can get to the basket and finish...needs to really work on the jumper to make it, but always under control and by far the best man on man defender at the top of the key. Devon Green, very very, solid ball player, the most consistent player out there. He has played well in every game Ive seen, he just does it quitely and does so many little things to help you win that dont show up in box scores. Id like to see all 4 of these guards/forwards get an invite. Turiaf, Douhtit and Bynum round out the cast who goes to camp. Everybody else...have a nice career and that includes Sasha who hasnt done a damn thing out there. Id take any of the other 4 before Sasha gets back and I was a Sasha supporter. He has not improved at all, beside gettting a little bigger.
4evARaBRUIN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject:

No

remember how excited we were about Sasha last year after summer league and camp?

Let's not put the horse before the cart.

1-0. Six more times.

So let success be my sweetest revenge...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
dgrynch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject:

I think we should start him off slowly to get him acclimated into the NBA with real competition. Let's hold off on starting the kid right now. His play off the bench will justify his minutes and his status on the floor. Chill out people!
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject:

NO. we need to bring him along slowly. also, let's wait and see how his great SPL performance translates to real NBA quality competition.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Some people have their definition of a tri PG mixed up. Ideally, Phil wants his PG to be:

1. Proficient in his knowledge of the tri
2. Capable of D-ing up opposing 1s
3. Capable of switching defensively with the 2 (and possibly the 3)
4. Proficient enough in terms of ballhandling to break pressure
5. Able to hit consistently from the perimeter

I know it's too early to judge whether or not Wafer can fulfill Phil's criteria for a triangle PG, but based on SPL reports, Wafer isn't that far off. In reality, 1 and 2 will determine how much PT he gets. The rest is gravy, but the great thing is that it appears that Wafer has got the gravy too. Another thing that Wafer has is a fire/moxie, which will/has not doubt scored him points with the coaching staff.

At any rate, I'm not opposed to starting Wafer if all viable options have been exhausted. However, with that being said, what really matters is who finishes games. If Wafer can D up and nail shots in crunch time, then he WILL finish. Phil puts the coolest customers in at the end of games whether they're young or experienced, rookies or veterans...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: