Hawaii

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Hawaii

Going to Hawaii in April. I've been twice in the last 2 years but just hung out in Waikiki both times. This time might do an overnight day trip to another island.....I'm only going to go from a Thursday until a Monday night and I have somewhere to go on the Saturday.

What is the best island to go to?

I'm thinking of taking the SuperFerry or the Go Airlines. Anyone have experiences with those?

Is it worth even checking out the other islands? Just kind of want to experience culture and hang out at a beach.....that's all really...no tourist attractions.
Pajamahadeen
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Where one relaxes on the axis of the wheels of life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject:

Dude, you need to give us a trip report. Like, where do I get the best nachos or eat the best panda express. Pajamahadeen will not stand for sub-par nachos!

May Jerry Buss drink the blood of every Celtic, Sp*r and Phoenix team player!

January 20, 2009<------- When John McCain is sworn in as President.
Alpha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject:

If you want to hang out... really just chill... the neighbor islands is the place to be.

Kauai may be the easiest transition... Maui is a bit closer to Oahu in terms of busy. Molokai is really the place to be if you want to slow it down... haven't been to Lanai but hear it's much of the same.

Hit me up if you need anything.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject:

kind of the local thing. eat traditional foods on shacks on the beach all day. things like that i guess.

I am going with my bro and a cousin.....i think my brother's already been to Kauai. My 3rd time, cousin's first time. We'll be in Waikiki probably 2 days...then maybe another island for a day or two....

whatever's cheap, has the best women and the best (cheap) food!
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject:

Pajamahadeen wrote:
Dude, you need to give us a trip report. Like, where do I get the best nachos or eat the best panda express. Pajamahadeen will not stand for sub-par nachos!

One of my favorite burgers is the Mango burger at Jackie Chan's restaurant at the Ala Moana mall.
Pajamahadeen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject:

Your definition of 'nachos' is different than mine.

chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject:

uhh...don't think I had nachos there...at Dukes I might have but they sucked. The nachos at "Islands" are ok. Is there a nacho thread yet?
Pajamahadeen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject:

chef wrote:
uhh...don't think I had nachos there...at Dukes I might have but they sucked. The nachos at "Islands" are ok. Is there a nacho thread yet?

(The Pajamahadeens will bide their time until they unleash the nacho wrath)

chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject:

can't eff with Sharkeez.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject:

Alpha wrote:
If you want to hang out... really just chill... the neighbor islands is the place to be.

Kauai may be the easiest transition... Maui is a bit closer to Oahu in terms of busy. Molokai is really the place to be if you want to slow it down... haven't been to Lanai but hear it's much of the same.

Hit me up if you need anything.

Alpha is the man... hooked me up big time on my H-moon with the wifey...

Man...I miss those islands..

We need a zippy's on the mainland.. and yummies..
Alpha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject:

chef wrote:
whatever's cheap, has the best women and the best (cheap) food!

I'm not sure what your definition of "cheap" is... but you know this is hawaii right?!

j/p, if not Kauai... Maui is convenient... remote stuff.. you might look up Hana (it's a drive to get there but from what I hear.. peaceful. Although, if you're talking women.... i'd guess that the more remote the less women. Waikiki is probably the best due to the number of people but... You might look into one of the local hotels on Maui... it's been a while for me so I forgot the names iirc cbear might be from there... if not iwuvkobebryant from CL is.. you could PM them for details on Maui. I'd say stay at the "humble" hotel in Maui then drive out to the beach in the day. As for cheap good food, as with any place, ask the locals. I can give you ideas for Oahu but not so much on the other islands.

Molokai is really laid back... iirc one traffic light on the island... people wave at each other (even if they don't know you)... low crime... people don't lock their cars... only fast food i saw there was subway... no McD's, 7-11, etc.

Pajamahadeen wrote:

One of my favorite burgers is the Mango burger at Jackie Chan's restaurant at the Ala Moana mall.[/quote]

PJ, don't bag on panda express... i got a fave on oahu where the manager gives me extra food orange chicken, yum!

chef, as for Jackie's place... not sure if you know but it closed down

That Island Burger (not sure if that's the name) nearby where Jackie's res was is pretty good.

^TNM, glad you and mrs TNM (she is such a nice gal) had a good time... hope you can come back and visit again... will probably have more time to hang.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject:

Yeah, but I went last year and it was cheap. Hotel in Waikiki was about $120 a night and flight was about $300. Food was very cheap, just hung out at the beach, drank at night and watched a concert at the Waikiki shell.

Might do a Go Airlines flight to another island...then take the Superferry back just to experience it. Ever do those?

Its my eventual goal to buy a condo in Hawaii I think. Just something pretty simple.....in Waikiki or something.
Alpha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject:

^cool! yeah $120 is cheap for HI... just wanted to make sure you were aware of that.

The superferry is so new that I don't know of anyone who's taken it yet... although I'd bet it's a really nice way to travel interisland.

I haven't taken Go yet but I would imagine it's fine... lol flights are all less than an hour so it really doesn't matter as all of them are clean & relatively new planes.

On Oahu, you might check out the Ala Moana Hotel... not sure what your rate would be but it was pretty reasonable... and is really, really nice! My son is in a band that plays there on Fridays. It is right next to the mall... across the street from the beach... just out of Waikiki. Oh! food... across from the convention center (down the street from the hotel) there is a hole in the wall plate lunch place called You Hungry? (next to subway/7-11)... eat the loco moco with either the mahi or the kalua pig... dang good stuff! *drools*
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject:

yeah, we might just end up staying on Oahu and going to the North Shore....depends really.....we're just playing it by ear. Ala Moana is kinda far....wanted to stay right in Waikiki like last year.....we rolled out of bed and just went right to the beach.....then to Dukes, which was very chill.

I'll try to remember to go try and check that out though. what kind of music?
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject:

Alpha wrote:

^TNM, glad you and mrs TNM (she is such a nice gal) had a good time... hope you can come back and visit again... will probably have more time to hang.

This is why I want to move to Hawaii.. I miss the "aloha" plus...sick waves...

Ala Moana bowls was real fun
Alpha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject:

chef wrote:
yeah, we might just end up staying on Oahu and going to the North Shore....depends really.....we're just playing it by ear. Ala Moana is kinda far....wanted to stay right in Waikiki like last year.....we rolled out of bed and just went right to the beach.....then to Dukes, which was very chill.

I'll try to remember to go try and check that out though. what kind of music?

Ooh north shore... now you're talkin' ... perhaps you can find a beach house to rent... that would be a blast. My boss who moved here from Alaska is renting a house right near Chun's (kinda near Waimea Bay). He said that he and his wife have recliners facing the picture window and they watch whales for entertainment at night... and are visited by seals & turtles in the day.

Haleiwa town ... Kua aina burger, Cholos, Matsumoto &/or Aoki's Shave Ice... up the road is my hometown, Wahiawa... Shige's saimin stand, Dong Yang Inn, Sunny Side... oh and of course there is a Zippy's there (thugnomoe ref).

Son's band is called Pali... contemporary island music... the leader, Pali, is an incredible guitarist... former metal guy (can play anything... anything)... now plays an acoustic. Really relaxed place... if you're in town let me know and i can make sure they're in town that week.
Mockerfab4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Jealous. I worked in the travel industry for tooo long and have only been to Hawaii once when I was a kid. From what I've been told by my co-workers who've traveled to all the islands, Kauai is the most beautiful. Green lush scenery, and the bluest oceans. If I were to visit Hawaii again, I'd be there first. =)

If you're interested, my company has 5 resorts in 3 islands. There timeshare resorts, but we rent them out as regular hotels. I work for the hotel rental side. They're alot cheaper then most big chains and have more amenities (kitchens, lanais, a/c, etc). Feel free to visit www.shellhospitality.com to check them out. We have resorts in Waikiki, Kauai & 3 in the Big Island.

Have fun in Hawaii. Maybe one day my company will send me over there.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Kauai is the place for me. I love Hanalei Bay. 'Course everything there shuts down early. The best meal I had was at Tropical Taco as they were shutting down at 4:30 to go surf.

Warning: it is extremely slow. You might want to stay closer to Lihue if you want nightlife.
REPPIN 818
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Pajamahadeen wrote:
chef wrote:

(The Pajamahadeens will bide their time until they unleash the nacho wrath)

I've been dying to ask, what is a Pajamahadeen?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: