GP? - Gag me.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want GP back?
Yes - he's the best available option for the 2007 plan.
22%
 22%  [ 25 ]
No - the jerk cost us Marcus Banks and a #1 pick
25%
 25%  [ 28 ]
No - stick a fork in him, he's done.
28%
 28%  [ 31 ]
Yes - if he comes for the LLE so we can use the MLE on someone else.
22%
 22%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 109

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: GP? - Gag me.

Some people are getting on the GP bandwagon ... I'd rather play 4 on 5 than see that whining, back-stabbing punk back in the P&G.
nextphenom23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject:

I agree he cost of a PG that could've put us in the playoffs this year and also I think he was the main factor in why we didnt win the title in '04.

The Spurs will never live up to the dynasty we created
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Look... you should at least get your history straight... from GP's perspective, he was stabbed in the back by Mitch. We talked about him coming back, so he options to stay, and we trade him. Yes, he screwed us after that, but you gotta expect that from the glove... he wears his heart on his sleeve.

BY the way... there are some of us who have always liked GP... so wanting him back isn't really jumping on the bandwagon.
jrod88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Vlade wrote:
Look... you should at least get your history straight... from GP's perspective, he was stabbed in the back by Mitch. We talked about him coming back, so he options to stay, and we trade him. Yes, he screwed us after that, but you gotta expect that from the glove... he wears his heart on his sleeve.

BY the way... there are some of us who have always liked GP... so wanting him back isn't really jumping on the bandwagon.

Great post.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Vlade wrote:

History:

GP became a locker room cancer in LA two months into the 03-04 season.

Karl Malone had to serve as the go-between for Phil because of GP's funk-nasty attitude.

GP already showed that he sucks in the triangle.
shiznak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Vlade wrote:

History:

Karl Malone had to serve as the go-between for Phil because of GP's funk-nasty attitude.

With Shaq out of the picture, I see everyone's role being different, and more important now in the triangle. I don't remember GP being a locker room cancer. He was unhappy with how Phil was utilizing him, and felt he could contribute more, but I don't recall him having any run-ins with teammates.

If that is your only issue, then get over it. You are not going to find anyone better for 2 years. 5 years, yes. But not 2 years.

As another poster pointed out, by getting GP again, we essentially traded a retired Rick Fox and a pick for JJ, Mihm, and Sucky (or 1/2 Kwame depending on how you want to look at it).

Sign Lue to the LLE, and pickup Smush and our PG lineup is the best it has been in a long time. Payton and Smush could both play some 2 as well.
jrod88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject:

PG- Payton, Lue, Smush
SG- Kobe, Wafer, George
SF- Odom, Jones, Walton
PF- Kwame, Cook, Slava
C - Mihm, Grant, Bynum
The Kobe Era 2K5
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject:

jrod88 wrote:
PG- Payton, Lue, Smush
SG- Kobe, Wafer, George
SF- Odom, Jones, Walton
PF- Kwame, Cook, Slava
C - Mihm, Grant, Bynum

I simply agree to you!!! Only Lakers may should waive Grant!!!
shiznak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject:

jrod88 wrote:
PG- Payton, Lue, Smush
SG- Kobe, Wafer, George
SF- Odom, Jones, Walton
PF- Kwame, Cook, Slava
C - Mihm, Grant, Bynum

Don't' sleep on Vlade. Last report stated that he wasn't retiring. While we know he will most likely be traded, chances are very good that he would be waived, then return for less money. Also, I don't see George at the SG spot. Jones and Sasha would be better SG backups due to having better handles. Slide Grant to PF, Vlade to starting or 2nd string Center, move George to SF and add Sasha to SG, and you have your lineup:

PG=Payton, Lue, Smush
SG-Kobe, Wafer, Sasha
SF-Odom, George, Jones/Walton
PF-Grant/Kwame, Slava, Cook
C-Vlade/Mihm, Bynum

Man, that's 17 players. How many can we have again?
ALbino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject:

I think you're missing a poll option for "Try and get Watson or Jaric and if that fails then fall back on GP for 2 years at the MLE."

AL.
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject:

Payton will never be a Laker again, forget about it.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject:

He's a great guy that alot of people learned to hate because he resisted Phil's mind games...

You have to remember:

Phil did NOT choose GP...SHAQ chose GP!
GP CHOSE to play for LAL KNOWING we were running the triangle!

This was a case of a prima-donna meeting a hard-nosed, old school system and the 2 butting heads...

GP is widely regarded as one of the nicer guys in the NBA and one of the best teammates to have...he's a good mentor when he is treated right and he has the respect of most of the younger generation that grew up watching him (like me )...

His next stint in LAL could be a very good one...this time, he has no intentions to rock the boat...he knows Phil...he knows what to expect from the system...he knows where he fits in...he's a very capable player who would add playoff experience and a comedian to this young squad...something every team needs...

This would be a great move, in theory...reality will have to wait...

I too think this is a bargaining ploy by GP and his agent to drive up his price but it could end up being GP's last resort at a chance to play near his family and help a young talented team...

Kwame and Bynum particularly need a guy like GP to learn what to do and NOT to do in the NBA (minus the strip club visits)...
datniggbstyle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject:

The Lakers should Split the MLE between Steven Hunter(3.5) and Gary Payton(1.5). Sign Tyron Lue for the LLE for Two years.

-Trade Brian Grant, Slava Medvedenko, Jumaine Jones and Miami 06 Pick to Blazers for Ruben Patterson and Derek Anderson.

Roster

Chris Mihm/Steven Hunter/Andrew Bynum
Kwame Brown/Maurice Taylor/Brian Cook
Lamar Odom/Ruben Patterson/Luke Walton
Kobe Bryant/Derek Anderson
Gary Payton/Tyronn Lue/Sasha Vujacic

IR: Von Wafer

Lakers still have the Expiring Contracts of Vlade and Devean to Trade. Hopefully they can find something that will work. Maybe for Vlade, Devean and a future 2nd round pick to the Knicks for Maurice Taylor. Someone that can score of the bench and hit the mid range jumper with consistancy off the pick and pop.

A LEGITIMANT 10 deep roster. Solid reserves at each position. Veteran leadership. The Bench would be exceptional. Lakers would try to win with balance instead of domination and overpowering. Shot blockers coming off the bench. A key piece to the lakers puzzle that was missing last season.
VonWafer&KobeBryantFa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Vlade wrote:

History:

agreed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject:

Just say no to Gary

Where will the shooting come from in a starting 5 of Odom, Brown, Mihm, Payton and Kobe?

Double teams galore on Kobe, Odom.
VonWafer&KobeBryantFa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject:

We should get Stoudamire
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
lakermax
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject:

No to GP...

Not due to his attitude. No because of his lack of D. I want a defensive minded PG dagnabbit!!!!...(< Hope that one passes the profanity screen)
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject:

It goes without saying "No - the jerk cost us Marcus Banks and a #1 pick"
ALbino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject:

I think the "he cost us Marcus Banks" excuse is widely misunderstood. If I recall correctly the reason he didn't report was because he was in the middle of the ocean on a cruise at the time. He couldn't possibly report. What's strange is surely both Mitch and Ainge knew this when they agreed to and processed the trade. Maybe Mitch thought Ainge would just curteously extend the period for him to arrive? Maybe Ainge saw that as an opportunity to weasle more out of the Lakers? Either way, it doesn't appear to be Payton's fault.

AL.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I heard he was crusing through the VIP room at a SoCal strip joint when the trade went down
ALbino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject:

sodapoppenski wrote:
Yeah I heard he was crusing through the VIP room at a SoCal strip joint when the trade went down

What's the name? We might have to do a little... umm... detective work to umm... get to the bottom of this... uhh, yeah...

AL.
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject:

orwell wrote:
It goes without saying "No - the jerk cost us Marcus Banks and a #1 pick"

Really? If memory serves me..

The #1 pick was going ANYWAY. We had to return the #2 pick and exchange JJones for Banks.

Many might say JJ was a better pickup then Banks in which case you might want to send GP a thank you note.

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. Aug. 6 -- The Los Angeles Lakers have acquired center Chris Mihm in a sign-and-trade deal with the Boston Celtics, along with guards Chucky Atkins and Marcus Banks in exchange for Gary Payton and Rick Fox, it was announced today by General Manager Mitch Kupchak. In addition, the Celtics will receive the Lakers first round pick in next year’s NBA Draft while Los Angeles will receive Boston’s second round selection in 2005.

So the orginal poll is total not even true. Boston picked #50 and took Ryan Gomes. Should have read..

"No - the jerk got us JJ instead of Banks and cost us Ryan Gomes" " ..doesn't quite have the same impact does it.
Shakless
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject:

JJ is a stud and works hard out there on the court. Be it that he is another 3 but a 3 with heart and that is what is needed on this team. ( We needed Turiaf) I do not wxpect GP back due to what he talked about Mitch and Company. In the triangle we do not need a pure pt guard we have Lamar.

GP, Fox & first rounder

for
Mihn, JJ and Chuckster ( Kwame now)

Not so bad in my books
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject:

Quote:
With Shaq out of the picture, I see everyone's role being different, and more important now in the triangle. I don't remember GP being a locker room cancer. He was unhappy with how Phil was utilizing him, and felt he could contribute more, but I don't recall him having any run-ins with teammates.

If that is your only issue, then get over it. You are not going to find anyone better for 2 years. 5 years, yes. But not 2 years.

As another poster pointed out, by getting GP again, we essentially traded a retired Rick Fox and a pick for JJ, Mihm, and Sucky (or 1/2 Kwame depending on how you want to look at it).

Sign Lue to the LLE, and pickup Smush and our PG lineup is the best it has been in a long time. Payton and Smush could both play some 2 as well.

Quote:
Really? If memory serves me..

The #1 pick was going ANYWAY. We had to return the #2 pick and exchange JJones for Banks.

Many might say JJ was a better pickup then Banks in which case you might want to send GP a thank you note.

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. Aug. 6 -- The Los Angeles Lakers have acquired center Chris Mihm in a sign-and-trade deal with the Boston Celtics, along with guards Chucky Atkins and Marcus Banks in exchange for Gary Payton and Rick Fox, it was announced today by General Manager Mitch Kupchak. In addition, the Celtics will receive the Lakers first round pick in next year’s NBA Draft while Los Angeles will receive Boston’s second round selection in 2005.

So the orginal poll is total not even true. Boston picked #50 and took Ryan Gomes. Should have read..

"No - the jerk got us JJ instead of Banks and cost us Ryan Gomes" " ..doesn't quite have the same impact does it.

Great two post, you guys really made my arguement for me. A lot of people here are making Gary much worse than he really is, actually Gary was really good for the Lakers untill it came to the triangle. And if I recall correctly the triangle is the only problem we had with Gary Payton, and he didn't start complaining untill the later parts of the season. Payton is really a good guy, and I am sure some of the Lakers would like to have him, he can really lighten the mood in the lockerroom. A lot of these accussions have little truth behind them, they are just twisted up, and made bad some it will justify GP's image as a bad person. Personally I would welcome him back with open arms. He would do good for us, like I have said before all he will have to do this summer is work on his 3 point shooting, thats it. Besides look at our PG's now, we really couldn't complain if GP came here.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject:

Vlade wrote:
Look... you should at least get your history straight... from GP's perspective, he was stabbed in the back by Mitch. We talked about him coming back, so he options to stay, and we trade him.

That was a ruse. We talked about him coming back because GP held the option. GP opted in because there was no way any team was going to give him MLE money or better. He opted in for financial reasons and not because of any commitment to the team. And he did shop himself around before deciding on exercising the option.

Payton's lack of success here was largely due to the fact that PJ did not implement the triangle in training camp. He let the players just go run around and operate on talent alone. Then, when he realized that it was getting late in the season and knowing that the triangle will be crucial to easy points in the playoffs, he switched gears. PJ deserves some blame, but that does not mean Payton gets a pass. Payton didn't seem to care about learning the system or finding his place to operate in the system. He pouted about minutes then when he actually got on the court, he pouted because he didn't have the ball or because they wouldn't let him post up.

This team is too impressionable to have GP nagging PJ or anyone else about his role. I'd pass on GP.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: