The MVP Double Standard
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mythbusters
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, or maybe they just missed the call.
Doja
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject:

mythbusters wrote:
Yeah, or maybe they just missed the call.

good to see youre sticking with your sarcasm "schtick"
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

For a guy people call the best in the world, it always just feels like they are forced to say it, but are looking for any chance to get out of it.

Very good point. But also realize people are "forced to say it" because tons of them don't like the guy (fans, not media folks or refs). Part of that is his fault....or shall I say he has contributed to it. I don't think the media should still be all up on him for certain things when he hasn't had issues as of late.

I think it is very comparable to Bonds because Bonds is in the GOAT convo, and before the steriod allegations he still caught hell from the media mainly because he was a prime A-hole. And folks were forced to call him the best...and were happy when they had someone else they thought they could bestow the title on (i.e. McGuirre, Griffey Jr). You say Kobe had the rape case and 2 years of Shaq, but that wasn't all. He seemed to quit on the team in the 06 playoffs (Game 7). Just before last season he was tossing Bynum under the bus and had the whole tirade of not wanting to be in LA. I'm not trying to bash the guy here....I'm just saying he keeps providing them with ammo. Things have been great for the past 2 years....but again y'all came out of nowhere and started winning like crazy...i.e. there is nothing to complain about now. I'm not saying that's why he has stopped complainig....but thats how some folks (who already don't like him) may perceive it. Similar to how tons of folks think the only reason Artest is on good behavior now is because it's a contarct year.

Now I will admit, it's been a while since I have seen someone kissed up to as hard as they do LeBron. Maybe Tiger Woods??
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Tiger Woods deserves it because he has no competition - no one else is even in the conversation. Lebron has competition though (specifically Kobe, Wade, and CP3). Two years ago it was Wade stealing all the thunder away from Kobe (when the Heat were still considered good). Now that the Cavs are good, it's Lebron instead of Wade.

Yes, both Wade and Lebron are in Kobe's stratosphere, but I just find it interesting how quick the media is to proclaim that someone is better than Kobe - a guy who has been doing it for 10+ years, has more playoff success than either guy, and just came off an NBA Finals. I think that's the best evidence of anti-Kobe bias - how quick the media is to pounce on someone else, anyone else, in dismissing Kobe from the spotlight.

-------------------------

As far as Bonds, I just don't think they are comparable. Kobe's play in 2006 was never held against him - the Lakers took the Suns to 7 games when most thought it would be Suns in 5 at most. I think the trade demand could go either way (some people took it positively, some people took it negatively), but, in any case, Kobe's trade demand didn't really contribute to anything IMO.... maybe the Andrew Bynum tirade did, but since 2004, that would be just about it for Kobe.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject:

With regards to Wade and Jordan's marriage travails "not being covered." How much did you read about Kobe's philandering, until he was accused in Colorado? (and if you've read Kobe's police interview, you know that wasn't the first time he'd "strayed.")

You didn't obviously, until he got arrested. If Wade or Jordan were accused of sexual assault, obviously that would have been covered in just as much detail. I don't understand how someone would be surprised that a divorce - which happens to 50 percent of couple's - doesn't get as much publicity as a person who's the best in their game being accused of sexual assault.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject:

^ Probably because Kobe's cheating wasn't covered until he was arrested. Wade is going through a public divorce where court records have his ex accusing him of giving her an STD(although she has dropped it since) and is "involved" with Gabrielle Union.

I just think with a celebrity involved that usually gets coverage. Goodness knows we've been subjected to the inane happenings of Tony Romo and Jessica Simpson and there's nothing scandalous there that we know of.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
^ Probably because Kobe's cheating wasn't covered until he was arrested. Wade is going through a public divorce where court records have his ex accusing him of giving her an STD(although she has dropped it since) and is "involved" with Gabrielle Union.

I just think with a celebrity involved that usually gets coverage. Goodness knows we've been subjected to the inane happenings of Tony Romo and Jessica Simpson and there's nothing scandalous there that we know of.

You have to remember football > basketball in terms of popularity, and the Cowboys are one of the few teams that can argue that they are just as popular as the Lakers. So of course their starting QB will get a lot of pub when it comes to his relationships. The same goes with Tom Brady for example.

I really can't think of any examples of an athletes divorce case really making big, big news unless something else was involved like domestic violence. You are comparing apples to oranges.......
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Wow. Way too much thought poured into a meaningless award.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

You have to remember football > basketball in terms of popularity, and the Cowboys are one of the few teams that can argue that they are just as popular as the Lakers. So of course their starting QB will get a lot of pub when it comes to his relationships. The same goes with Tom Brady for example.

I really can't think of any examples of an athletes divorce case really making big, big news unless something else was involved like domestic violence. You are comparing apples to oranges.......

Ray Lewis, one of the top 5 players in the sport at the time, was up on a murder charge with a LOT more credible evidence against him than in the Kobe case - yet today you pretty much NEVER hear a peep about it when speaking about Ray Lewis. about the only commentary you hear is how he's performing on the field.....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Wow. Way too much thought poured into a meaningless award.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Ray Lewis, one of the top 5 players in the sport at the time, was up on a murder charge with a LOT more credible evidence against him than in the Kobe case - yet today you pretty much NEVER hear a peep about it when speaking about Ray Lewis. about the only commentary you hear is how he's performing on the field.....

I rarely hear about Colorado anymore. The only negative pub I read about Kobe involves how he is perceived as a teammate.
I'm The Dan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject:

The difference between Kobe and Ray Lewis is murder isn't viewed the same as rape. In must, if not all urban cultures (which the nfl and, specifically, the nba cater to) murder isn't as bad as rape. you're a "gangster" if you've killed someone whereas you're a punk if you rape someone.

either way it doesn't matter.. both were acquitted of their charges. i don't think it has anything to do with the mvp award, but i do think it has something to do with how the refs manage the game for kobe. before colorado he was getting wade/lebron type calls on the regular.. now he has to pretty much get hurt before he'll get a call.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject:

I'm The Dan wrote:
The difference between Kobe and Ray Lewis is murder isn't viewed the same as sexual assault. In must, if not all urban cultures (which the nfl and, specifically, the nba cater to) murder isn't as bad as sexual assault. you're a "gangster" if you've killed someone whereas you're a punk if you sexual assault someone.

And well the fact that the chick was a white girl also plays a role considering that Kobe is black and all.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject:

I'm The Dan wrote:
The difference between Kobe and Ray Lewis is murder isn't viewed the same as sexual assault. In must, if not all urban cultures (which the nfl and, specifically, the nba cater to) murder isn't as bad as sexual assault. you're a "gangster" if you've killed someone whereas you're a punk if you sexual assault someone.

So when a guy "drops the soap" in prison, the bastard who tries to corn-hole him is considered a punk by all the others?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Wow, another 28 pages of "poor, poor Kobe". Why am I not surprised? If Kobe whined as much as many posters here, he would have been out of the league 10 years ago.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:

I rarely hear about Colorado anymore. The only negative pub I read about Kobe involves how he is perceived as a teammate.

True, the only times I have heard about it in the past 3-4 years has been here, used as one sort of excuse or another.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Last edited by JUST-MING on Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Here is the ESPN media bias from just an hour ago. Spot the obvious fallacy in ESPN's game recap.

Quote:
James' 41-foot runner stunned the Pistons and gave Cleveland, the league's most dominant team -- home or away -- during the regular season, a 12-point halftime lead.

They seek out every opportunity to toss an accolade Lebron's way, and skip as many opportunities as conveniently possible - to toss one Kobe's way. I'll include a predictable comparison just as soon as tomorrow's ESPN Laker's recap is written.

Amazing that people even argue the point.

Amazing you could find an "anti-Kobe" slant in there and imagine why it would matter to anyone or have any negligible impact on perceptions whatsoever.

Oh, and by the way, that's an AP article, not "an espn recap".
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Here is the ESPN media bias from just an hour ago. Spot the obvious fallacy in ESPN's game recap.

Quote:
James' 41-foot runner stunned the Pistons and gave Cleveland, the league's most dominant team -- home or away -- during the regular season, a 12-point halftime lead.

They seek out every opportunity to toss an accolade Lebron's way, and skip as many opportunities as conveniently possible - to toss one Kobe's way. I'll include a predictable comparison just as soon as tomorrow's ESPN Laker's recap is written.

Amazing that people even argue the point.

Amazing you could find an "anti-Kobe" slant in there and imagine why it would matter to anyone or have any negligible impact on perceptions whatsoever.

Oh, and by the way, that's an AP article, not "an espn recap".

Uhhhh...It address's media bias. No mention of a "anti Kobe slant". First, their statement is obviously inaccurate, and they have a tendency of being inaccurate with consistency in favor of some players (media darlings) and against others (media pariahs).

Try googling "Kobe Bryant Ball Hog" , "Lebron James Ball Hog" and "Dwayne Wade Ball Hog". All it takes is a perusal of the 1st page of the search returns to see the point that's so obvious to many, but denied by some. It's a real head scratcher that some would deny the obvious - Kobe is not a media darling. In the final analysis, that FACT deserves a big "so what". But denying such an obvious fact just boggles the mind...

and last I checked, the AP was a part of the media - hence "Media Bias"
Bean Brian
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject:

The headline for yesterday's Cleveland win over Detroit on ESPN was "lovin Lebron". Nuff said
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

True, the only times I have heard about it in the past 3-4 years has been here, used as one sort of excuse or another.

You also hear about it whenever Kobe gets an endorsement or if another high profile person gets into a similar situation there's a brief mention. It may not be something people talk about as much but its not forgotten much like various other high profile scandals through the years of other celebs.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:

Take a peek at the current Denver fan boards. Hard to find a thread that doesn't bring up "rapist".
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Take a peek at the current Denver fan boards. Hard to find a thread that doesn't bring up "rapist".

That's not negative pub. Those are classless fans...in Colorado at that....
thereal1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Kobe and Laker haters 20 years from now will bring up "Kobe's a rapist." That is just something Kobe and Laker fans will have to deal with forever. No matter how many rings Kobe gets the haters will ALWAYS bring that up in there argument just because they have nothing else credible to say.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Last edited by JUST-MING on Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 28 of 29
Jump to: