Question about 02-03 year

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kobezlegit24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Question about 02-03 year

We started off 7-13 that year. I can't seem to remember what that was attributed to,like were there injuries or chemistry injuries going on with the team
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about 02-03 year

Kobezlegit24 wrote:
We started off 7-13 that year. I can't seem to remember what that was attributed to,like were there injuries or chemistry injuries going on with the team

No Shaq!
Chewrockan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Just off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure that was when Shaq decided to get his toe surgery done while on "company time". Thus, we were playing for a good chunk of the start of season without him.
ssiknick833
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Chewrockan wrote:
Just off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure that was when Shaq decided to get his toe surgery done while on "company time". Thus, we were playing for a good chunk of the start of season without him.

Yep.

And if anyone wonders why most people hate Shaq in LA now, well it was mostly because of this.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject:

No Shaq, Rick Fox suspended 7 or so games, absolutely no depth whatsoever.

Kobe was ready but the team just sucked.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Shaq had gout.

Lifestyle

About 12% of gout is attributed to dietary causes.[1] This includes a strong association with the consumption of alcohol,[6] sugar,[7] and meat.

A sedentary lifestyle also increases the risk of developing the disease.[10]

It wasn't just the beginning of the season, we only won 16 of the first 30 games after Shaq returned. Our playoff hopes were looking bleak as far into the season as February.
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject:

The 01-02 team was the worst championship team in the last 15 years in terms of depth. It eventually caught up with us the next season.
Bean Brian
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject:

revgen wrote:
The 01-02 team was the worst championship team in the last 15 years in terms of depth. It eventually caught up with us the next season.
hopefully the depth problem is something this already thin laker team can avoid in the coming seasons
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
deeroblal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject:

yep this was the year Shaq was hurt at the start of the season. This was also the year when the Lakers became Kobe's team imo.
kobeyashi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Bean Brian wrote:
revgen wrote:
hopefully the depth problem is something this already thin laker team can avoid in the coming seasons

It wasn't just depth problems, it was also the aging vets. Luckily most of the team is relatively young. Fish plays like a grandpa out there though.
Donkeybong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject:

i think horry had a bad year too. his shooting touch just wasnt there. was madson on the team as well?
Mbengaposterized
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Donkeybong wrote:
i think horry had a bad year too. his shooting touch just wasnt there. was madson on the team as well?

He was worn out by playoff time, wasting to many minutes because of our lack of depth
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about 02-03 year

Kobezlegit24 wrote:
I can't seem to remember what that was attributed to,like were there injuries or chemistry injuries going on with the team

No talent.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject:

I actually just started reading Phil's book and just passed a section where he talks about the start of that season.

Quote:
...I could tell he was still a little upset with me, probably because I have insisted he report in better shape this year. His decision to delay toe surgery until last September was one of the reasons we didn't win another championship. We staggered at the start, losing nineteen of thirty games, and with them any chance to clinch home-court advantage for the entire playoffs. The statement he made publicly -"I got hurt on company time, so I'll recover on company time"-was outrageous. By not being healthy when the season started in October, he was on the injured list during company time.

I kept my distance during the contoversy over his operation. With the amount of negative feedback I give him during the season, the last thing I could afford to do was get on his case before the season. There are only so many corrective comments I'm allowed before I risk causing serious, perhaps irrevocable, damage to our relationship.
JTS1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
I actually just started reading Phil's book and just passed a section where he talks about the start of that season.

Quote:
...I could tell he was still a little upset with me, probably because I have insisted he report in better shape this year. His decision to delay toe surgery until last September was one of the reasons we didn't win another championship. We staggered at the start, losing nineteen of thirty games, and with them any chance to clinch home-court advantage for the entire playoffs. The statement he made publicly -"I got hurt on company time, so I'll recover on company time"-was outrageous. By not being healthy when the season started in October, he was on the injured list during company time.

I kept my distance during the contoversy over his operation. With the amount of negative feedback I give him during the season, the last thing I could afford to do was get on his case before the season. There are only so many corrective comments I'm allowed before I risk causing serious, perhaps irrevocable, damage to our relationship.

kobe's 'uncoachable'.

bigger sales pitch.
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject:

Bean Brian wrote:
revgen wrote:

As much as everybody on this board complains about our bench, it's a helluva lot better than the bench in 01-02.

DJ>McCoy
Powell>Madsen
Brown=Shaw
Farmar>Richmond
LO>>>Slava
Luke>George
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject:

Didn't kobe also hurt his shoulder? I think I remember that game he hurt it, because i remember thinking "there goes our season". Then kobe is back the next game with a shoulder pad.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: