Best band/musical act currently?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirRunnethOfSoCal
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Best today would probably be Coldplay.

"The mafia appeal to your intellect - 'You're an intelligent person aren't you? And you realize it's very difficult to walk without knees?'" - Richard Pryor
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject:

It's really too much of a subjective matter, but to me the best -live- has always been Springsteen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
It's really too much of a subjective matter, but to me the best -live- has always been Springsteen.

You definitely get your money's worth. The last time i saw him (with the e street band), he played 2.5 hours, with approximately 4-5 minutes total time not spent playing. Just a machine...
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject:

i saw Springsteen and wasn't a big fan. he played mostly his new stuff (not a fan of it) and he played for over 3 hours.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject:

The last show I went to was The Cure - and even though Robert Smith ain't movin' too well these days, it was an incredible show and 3+ hours.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
i saw Springsteen and wasn't a big fan. he played mostly his new stuff (not a fan of it) and he played for over 3 hours.

Sorry, typo. I meant 3.5 hours, not 2.5. I saw him after the release of "the Rising", which i really dig, and he played a mix of that and everything ranging back to the beginning.
mbloves L.A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Tool
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Death Cab for Cutie, White Stripes and Social Distortion
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Red Hot Chili Peppers (just because RHCP is my favorite band )
Mation
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
The last show I went to was The Cure - and even though Robert Smith ain't movin' too well these days, it was an incredible show and 3+ hours.

Saw the Trilogy DVD. That was an amazing concert in length.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
ocho wrote:

Sorry, typo. I meant 3.5 hours, not 2.5. I saw him after the release of "the Rising", which i really dig, and he played a mix of that and everything ranging back to the beginning.

I saw him both on the Rising tour in 03/04 and this year. Both were amazing, but this years was better, imo. I'm a fan of his new album so I didn't mind the new stuff, but he played alot of hits as well, 10th Avenue Freezout, Prove it all Night, Badland, Born To Run....
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject:

[quote="vanexelent"]
24 wrote:
I saw him both on the Rising tour in 03/04 and this year. Both were amazing, but this years was better, imo. I'm a fan of his new album so I didn't mind the new stuff, but he played alot of hits as well, 10th Avenue Freezout, Prove it all Night, Badland, Born To Run....

He changes up the setlist every night, too. Here's his setlist page:

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/live/2008setlists.html

The handwritten ones are the ones he does about an hour before the show, but then he often "calls audibles" and changes it while the show is in progress, so the final setlist is often different from the original setlist.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject:

[quote="LarryCoon"]
vanexelent wrote:
24 wrote:

He changes up the setlist every night, too. Here's his setlist page:

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/live/2008setlists.html

The handwritten ones are the ones he does about an hour before the show, but then he often "calls audibles" and changes it while the show is in progress, so the final setlist is often different from the original setlist.

The band must be so in sync with each other after all these years, for them to recognize a change and go right into it. I wonder how many more years they have it in them? This has got to be their last album/tour together. Bruce may do his own thing. But the concerts definitely aren't the same without the E Street Band.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject:

btw i just saw Prince this last weekend and it's tough to argue against him being the best performer out there.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
btw i just saw Prince this last weekend and it's tough to argue against him being the best performer out there.

Does this mean Prince > Michael Jackson?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
ocho wrote:

makes the conversation more interesting since Prince live is so night and day from Prince on record. Haven't seen Michael live but given the footage i've seen of him where people are passing out i'm sure it's a pretty amazing experience as well. but man Prince was amazing!
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
TACH wrote:
ocho wrote:

makes the conversation more interesting since Prince live is so night and day from Prince on record. Haven't seen Michael live but given the footage i've seen of him where people are passing out i'm sure it's a pretty amazing experience as well. but man Prince was amazing!

Was it the Coachella Show... I heard he killed it...
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
ocho wrote:
TACH wrote:
ocho wrote:

Was it the Coachella Show... I heard he killed it...

yup.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Social Distortion. Very underrated band IMO. I think everybody should be fans of them. Social D appeals to people of all ages. Ness's lyrics are simple, yet very powerful. It's like you know him personally after listening to all of his albums because he practically tells his life story from Mommy's Little Monster to Sex, Love and Rock n Roll. From his days as a hardocre drug addict and prison inmate to his new found life and love. It pisses me off when people don't know or don't like Mike Ness or Social Distortion . They are one of the few if not, the only true rock n roll bands out there. I don't care what anybody says.

Last edited by frijolero01 on Fri May 02, 2008 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Death Cab for Cutie, White Stripes and Social Distortion

gets it! (bleep) gets it!!!

frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Green Day.

doesn't get it. You need to grow up "musically". Here, have sum of dis:

sorry mods for the triple post. I'm just really fired up @ this thread.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
The band must be so in sync with each other after all these years, for them to recognize a change and go right into it.

Absolutely, especially with such a large catalog of songs. This year alone (half the tour) they've done 88 different songs. I've seen him a bunch of times, and there are still a few songs that I really want to see him do, but he does them on the "other" night.

BTW, their keyboard player (Danny Federici) just died, and they've had to work in a new guy since late last year.

Quote:
I wonder how many more years they have it in them? This has got to be their last album/tour together. Bruce may do his own thing. But the concerts definitely aren't the same without the E Street Band.

I doubt it's their last one. Every once in a while he does something without the E Street Band -- his tour before this one was with a different band, covering Pete Seeger material. He always comes back to E Street, and hasn't indicated he's tired of working.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
The band must be so in sync with each other after all these years, for them to recognize a change and go right into it.

Absolutely, especially with such a large catalog of songs. This year alone (half the tour) they've done 88 different songs. I've seen him a bunch of times, and there are still a few songs that I really want to see him do, but he does them on the "other" night.

BTW, their keyboard player (Danny Federici) just died, and they've had to work in a new guy since late last year.

Quote:
I wonder how many more years they have it in them? This has got to be their last album/tour together. Bruce may do his own thing. But the concerts definitely aren't the same without the E Street Band.

I doubt it's their last one. Every once in a while he does something without the E Street Band -- his tour before this one was with a different band, covering Pete Seeger material. He always comes back to E Street, and hasn't indicated he's tired of working.

I don't think Bruce is tired, but some of the band members like Clarence may not be healthy enough. He barely moves on stage it seems. Plus touring takes alot out a person and these guys will be in their 60's soon. I hope they do more though.

I didn't see any of the Seeger sessions live, but I caught the live in Dublin show on PBS and it was awsome! That whole album is great, both the live version and studio. A good switch for Bruce I thought.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
I don't think Bruce is tired, but some of the band members like Clarence may not be healthy enough. He barely moves on stage it seems. Plus touring takes alot out a person and these guys will be in their 60's soon. I hope they do more though.

It's true -- Clarence is the oldest one there, and likely the one who will be done first.

Quote:
I didn't see any of the Seeger sessions live, but I caught the live in Dublin show on PBS and it was awsome! That whole album is great, both the live version and studio. A good switch for Bruce I thought.

Don't know if you've seen the current tour, but he's closing the show with "American Land" from the Seeger sessions. Great show closer.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
Social Distortion. Very underrated band IMO. I think everybody should be fans of them. Social D appeals to people of all ages. Ness's lyrics are simple, yet very powerful. It's like you know him personally after listening to all of his albums because he practically tells his life story from Mommy's Little Monster to Sex, Love and Rock n Roll. From his days as a hardocre drug addict and prison inmate to his new found life and love. It pisses me off when people don't know or don't like Mike Ness or Social Distortion . They are one of the few if not, the only true rock n roll bands out there. I don't care what anybody says.

Does he tell his life story or The Story of My Life?

It shouldn't piss you off if somebody doesn't like Social D. I love Social D, but I don't care if it doesn't appeal to others.

Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell is easily in my top 10 albums of all time, maybe even top 5.

I've seen them play mutlple times. The shows kind of get redundant though. Mike has the same on-stage banter for years and their set list rarely changes.

His solo work is fantastic too. Under the Influence and Cheating At Solitaire shows how a guy who pretty much plays punk rock can be influenced by old country singers/songs. Ness's cover of Dylan's "Don't Think Twice" may be the best cover song ever.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: