Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

Castaway

Good one. It was interesting enough to cut thru the Hanks factor (he's so sympathetic it kills). And this movie has stolen from other "stranded on island" movies at that. There are scenes taken bit for bit from a remake of Robinson Crusoe starring Pierce Brosnan, which indicates how far the barrell was scraped. Even at that, it was still very well done. The "Wilson gets lost" scene is funny yet still gets me. Similar to the plastic bag scene for Ricky Fitts in Amer Beauty.

Some flicks that I appreciated when I didn't think I would. A couple of these won Oscars for Best Pic, so I wouldn't say they sucked. They just didn't have the makings of stuff I'd be into when I saw them at a younger age.

Amadeus (F. Murray Abraham is utterly brilliant in this, ribald opera and overall gayness notwithstanding)

Silkwood (dislike Kurt Russell too...and Texan hicks...still got thru it with ease)

Mask (Stoltz)

The Commitments (Irish no-names in this cast abound, but a very entertaining movie)

Bottlerocket (Wilson brothers, similar vein as Rushmore)

Kramer vs Kramer (one of a few movies where I have been mesmerized by an actor's performance -- Hoffman.)

Of Mice And Men (remake w/ Sinise, Malkovich and Ray Walston)

Awakenings (ridiculously boring premise with a ridiculously odd pairing of actors, but it wasn't boring and they did work well together. I found it very touching at parts and was surprised with Robin Williams being able to make me forget he was Robin Williams. Garp is another of his movies I'd put in this class).

Trees Lounge (this is a fine job of directing and acting by Steve Buschemi. he showed he had range, very sympathetic character.)

Dazed And Confused (any teen flick that isn't total garbage deserves recognition. music was great if nothing else.)

Home For The Holidays (I was the only one in the theater under 50)
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject:

skate wrote:

Bound I thought it was going to suck, but it turned out be an excellent film.

I'd love to get you in bondage, honey.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Dazed And Confused (any teen flick that isn't total garbage deserves recognition. music was great if nothing else.)

This movie so perfectly exemplified the high school experience. Other great non-garbage high school flicks:

-Election
-Fast Times At Ridgemont High
-The Breakfast Club

Another movie I didn't expect to become one of my favorites, The Weather Man, with Nicholas Cage. That movie was brilliant.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject:

''Big Daddy'', because my immature older brother liked it. It fits his sense of humor perfectly, but I found it really funny as well.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Galaxy Quest.
tuanancy
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject:

dr seuss: horton hears a who

me and my little bro were late for drillbit taylor and ended up watching dr seuss... ive never heard of the movie before, but imo it was the funniest movie since superbad.
SirRunnethOfSoCal
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject:

Orange County

"The mafia appeal to your intellect - 'You're an intelligent person aren't you? And you realize it's very difficult to walk without knees?'" - Richard Pryor
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Galaxy Quest.

Hilarious.

More:

Star Trek: Generations (I'm no Trekkie)
The Cable Guy
Ronin
Shrek

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Skate
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject:

Threesome

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments in life that take our breath away"
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject:

PIrates of the Caribbean - A movie based on an amusement park ride? How the hell was this movie good? And it was really good. I saw it twice in the theater.

Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle - I didn't even bother with this movie when it came out but when my friend (who is not a stoner and an exceptional film snob) told me I had to see it, I got the DVD and laughed my face off.
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Disturbia is turning into one of my favorite movies to put just to put on. Thought it'd be super lame.
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
Disturbia is turning into one of my favorite movies to put just to put on. Thought it'd be super lame.

I agree. That movie was pretty good. Also, Alpha Dog is another one. I thought it has NO hope at all, but I ended up liking it alright.
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:

I agree. That movie was pretty good. Also, Alpha Dog is another one. I thought it has NO hope at all, but I ended up liking it alright.

Sorry for the double post.
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject:

Austin Powers. the first one.
kommanderson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject:

Iron Man (i may be the only guy that thinks Batman Begins is overrated) and Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay
k4lakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject:

40 Year Old Virgin
Super Bad
Harold & Kumar
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject:

It’s easier to come up with a list of movies that you thought would rock but ended up sucking. However, here’s my list:

I Am Legend – The original trailers looked really cool, but when it leaked out that the movie had zombie-like creatures, I thought it would be stupid. However I really enjoyed the movie.

Shoot ‘Em Up – The movie looked too over the top and corny to be enjoyable, but I ended up watching it anyway. It was definitely over the top and corny, but I still enjoyed the film tremendously. I laughed out loud watching this movie more than I do a lot of comedies.

Doom – Granted, this movie isn’t the greatest, but I expected it to really suck especially since it was based on a videogame. However, I actually liked the movie, and even more surprisingly, so did my wife. It was interesting to see the Rock play a bad guy for once.

Final Fantasy: Spirits Within – This movie got totally panned but it came free with my copy of Advent Children, so I decided to watch it. It was much better than I expected it to be.

Bicentennial Man – The trailers made this movie look dumb. The whole robot with a soul sounded stupid, but after watching the movie, I really enjoyed the heart-touching story.

What Dreams May Come – This movie just looked too weird to me, and I didn’t think I’d get into it. However, the strong story definitely one me over.

Knight’s Tale – I really into medieval literature particularly King Arthur stories. However, I had my doubts about a movie revolving around jousting. I was proven wrong however. This movie is one of my favorites.

I’m sure there are others, but these are the ones I can remember off the top of my head…
Shockerx8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject:

What happens in Vegas
Thought i was being dragged into a chick flick but it was actually pretty funny
Beerfest
i had no idea how funny that movie actually was, i thought it was going to be crude humor and kinda slapstick comedy but it was really funny. DAS BOOT !
Requiem for a dream
i thought heres another movie about drug problems, which is was but it was an intense ride
The illusionist
this one was a sleeper that i typically pass by on the dvd racks, but after my disapointment with the prestige i saw this and was AMAZED
V for vendetta
ok im guilty of not watching this because i dont want to see a hot girl go bald ; ; but it was pretty interesting once i got around to see it
i know theres more but thats off the top of my head
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: