Neat Optical Illusion.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Neat Optical Illusion.

http://www.maniacworld.com/Spinning-Silhouette-Optical-Illusion.html

Is she spinning clockwise or counter-clockwise?
Lakers Dynasty 2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject:

It changes - it's not your brain...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
v3n
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject:

lame, my work firewall blocks access to that site

any mirrors?
Lakers Dynasty 2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject:

v3n wrote:
lame, my work firewall blocks access to that site

any mirrors?

http://www.maniacworld.com/Spinning-Silhouette-Optical-Illusion.gif
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
cinimod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:

Not true LD...I thought it was switching too, but after about a minute, i had it to a point where i could manipulate how I percieved it, clockwise, counterclockwise, or not even turning a full circle...
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Nope.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject:

This thing has always seemed weird to me. It says she starts spinning clockwise then appears to change counterclockwise, but no matter how long I stare at it, I can't see her do anything but turn counterclockwise.
REPPIN 818
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Thought so
REPPIN 818
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
This thing has always seemed weird to me. It says she starts spinning clockwise then appears to change counterclockwise, but no matter how long I stare at it, I can't see her do anything but turn counterclockwise.

Weird, clockwise for me.
Me and my friend were testing this out, we both called out switches at the same time (The same thing on facebook).

We both saw it switch at the same time and, for the majority, it was clockwise
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject:

This illusion is an illusion because it's not really an illusion at all.
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject:

yeah it changes... i saw the change!
anyways i like how they added the shadowed nipples (oh shoot... can i say that???)
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject:

I don't see it going counter-clockwise. It just stays one direction for me, occasionally stopping.

Skate
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject:

IT changes

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments in life that take our breath away"
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject:

Exick wrote:

Same.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject:

For those of you who think the right/left switching is in the image and not in your brain -- you're wrong. It's entirely in how your brain interprets it. You can find some pretty interesting commentary on this optical illusion here:

http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php?p=27

To quote from it:

Quote:
The image is not objectively “spinning” in one direction or the other. It is a two-dimensional image that is simply shifting back and forth. But our brains did not evolve to interpret two-dimensional representations of the world but the actual three-dimensional world. So our visual processing assumes we are looking at a 3-D image and is uses clues to interpret it as such. Or, without adequate clues it may just arbitrarily decide a best fit - spinning clockwise or counterclockwise. And once this fit is chosen, the illusion is complete - we see a 3-D spinning image.

By looking around the image, focusing on the shadow or some other part, you may force your visual system to reconstruct the image and it may choose the opposite direction, and suddenly the image will spin in the opposite direction.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject:

I'm lost. What's the illusion? She spins to her left and then she switches to her right.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
For those of you who think the right/left switching is in the image and not in your brain -- you're wrong. It's entirely in how your brain interprets it. You can find some pretty interesting commentary on this optical illusion here:

To quote from it:

Quote:
The image is not objectively “spinning” in one direction or the other. It is a two-dimensional image that is simply shifting back and forth. But our brains did not evolve to interpret two-dimensional representations of the world but the actual three-dimensional world. So our visual processing assumes we are looking at a 3-D image and is uses clues to interpret it as such. Or, without adequate clues it may just arbitrarily decide a best fit - spinning clockwise or counterclockwise. And once this fit is chosen, the illusion is complete - we see a 3-D spinning image.

By looking around the image, focusing on the shadow or some other part, you may force your visual system to reconstruct the image and it may choose the opposite direction, and suddenly the image will spin in the opposite direction.

Ha, I was going to make a snide remark earlier how nothing is actually spinning, as it is not 3D but just a 2D representation on your screen. But I withheld my comment because I didn't want to be that guy to poo-poo on people's fun.

Only to find out I was right.

That's it, not more holding in my comments ever again.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject:

Dude, how can people say that there is no leg switching there?
First off, examine which leg is up. You can tell via the person's the leg up when the girl is facing towards you.

Next, move the picture off the screen mostly. Wait a little bit, and watch the shadow on the bottom. Make sure you see only the legs at most in the picture. When it looks like the rotation has changed, scroll your window again back to the picture. Examine the woman in the exact same position as before (facing you, etc.).

You will clearly see that the legs are switched. It's not optical illusion. It's like those damn math problems where you add, multiply, divide, subtract, and then you will always get the value X.

Sorry, but folks are had here.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject:

tlim -- sorry, but it's exactly as I described in the quote I quoted.

After some practice, I can reinterpret it as spinning the "other" direction whenever I want. Takes ma about 1/2 second of focus. I can then "hold" on the image spinning in the same direction as long as I want.

Again -- read the quote, and read the blog post I linked to.
kontrast
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject:

All I see is counter clockwise.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject:

kontrast wrote:

Same for me. I have stared several different times for minutes at a time. I've intentionally taken my focus off the top image and stared mostly at the shadow. No difference ever. Perfectly constant rotation counter-clockwise.
Booby
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Rek wrote:
kontrast wrote:

Same for me. I have stared several different times for minutes at a time. I've intentionally taken my focus off the top image and stared mostly at the shadow. No difference ever. Perfectly constant rotation counter-clockwise.

Mine is exactly as you describe except clockwise. I can't make it shift or change at all.
REPPIN 818
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:

To quote from it:

Quote:

Do it at the same time as a friend/girlfriend kid (on the same computer screen) and you guys will notice switches at the same time.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Not true in the least. In fact, if you can set up an experiment that's blinded (for example, you have a button you push when you see it switch that records the exact time you pushed it, but neither of you knows when the other pushed your button, and afterward you compare the results), you'll notice no correlation whatsoever.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Are the nipples my imagination?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: