MMA & BJJ
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoFlaws
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: MMA & BJJ

I'm just curious if aside from hoops any of you guys triain Mixed Martial Arts or Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu. I've recently starting training with Gracie Barra about 8 months ago and I'm almost as addicted as with basketball.
DK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: MMA & BJJ

NoFlaws wrote:
I'm just curious if aside from hoops any of you guys triain Mixed Martial Arts or Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu. I've recently starting training with Gracie Barra about 8 months ago and I'm almost as addicted as with basketball.

No idea, but I will say that you might wanna change the title to no acronyms. I really had no idea what this thread was about.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject:

BJJ = Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu? And here I thought you were just stuttering.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TheGOATWears#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject:

Bumping this topic since I'm curious about Brazilian Jiu Jitsu myself. I had attended a class at the Gracie Academy and loved their instruction. Mind you, their focus is on self-defense, whereas Gracie Barra has a primary focus on jiu jitsu for sport. I live in South OC, so making the trek to Torrance is difficult, but I did see that there is a certified training center in Huntington Beach. My question is, has anyone tried both Gracie Barra and Gracie Academy? What were your thoughts on both and which one did you choose and why? There's a GB closeby to me, but I have no desire to compete. My plan is to take a class at all the gyms on my list (Gracie Barra, Black Belt Center USA, AOJ) and go from there. Let's hear it folks.
"Love me or hate me; it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved for the exact same reasons."
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject:

I don't train specifically for MMA, and don't do Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, but I do have more than 20 years experience in Jiu-Jitsu and other martial arts (Kung Fu, Kickboxing, Taekwondo & Muay Thai).

I used to compete in tournaments when I was younger but I don't really have that desire to compete anymore. I'm still just as committed to practicing martial arts, to be honest I've been doing martial arts for so long I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I gave up

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject:

I trained in Krav Maga for 2 years but tore my labrum one day in class doing some grappling. Needless to say that ended my foray into the MMA world. It was fun while it lasted.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject:

I trained in submission wrestling for a while. Same locks, holds, submissions as BJJ, but with a wrestling base. Was super fun, and more fast paced than BJJ, so it fit my style more.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
I trained in Krav Maga for 2 years but tore my labrum one day in class doing some grappling. Needless to say that ended my foray into the MMA world. It was fun while it lasted.

Krav is what I've always wanted to do (just for fun/self defense)

I'm starting some classes in about 3 weeks

how'd you like it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject:

I've been doing Brazilian jiu jitsu for a couple of years and also mix in MMA work mostly Mui Thai. I boxed very briefly as a kid. BJJ is honestly the best thing aside from getting a degree and having my kids that I have ever done. Its truly a community and some of the best bunch of guys I know. Similar to a close knit basketball crew of friends. Keeps me in shape I'll tell you that, rolling for a couple hours in a GI in a locked no AC room your sweating like MFer.
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject:

A couple of years ago they had a LG basketball meet I would be more than down to roll with some fellow Laker fans.
TheGOATWears#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject:

PROPHET wrote:
I've been doing Brazilian jiu jitsu for a couple of years and also mix in MMA work mostly Mui Thai. I boxed very briefly as a kid. BJJ is honestly the best thing aside from getting a degree and having my kids that I have ever done. Its truly a community and some of the best bunch of guys I know. Similar to a close knit basketball crew of friends. Keeps me in shape I'll tell you that, rolling for a couple hours in a GI in a locked no AC room your sweating like MFer.

That's awesome to hear. My buddy started BJJ 5 years ago and says it's changed his life. I was rolling for an hour in a GI, and felt like it was a fantastic workout. I've just got to find a gym where I'm most comfortable with the level of instruction and environment.
"Love me or hate me; it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved for the exact same reasons."
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
BJJ = Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu? And here I thought you were just stuttering.

Give him a few years of being kicked in the head and he will be.
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject:

TheGOATWears#24 wrote:
PROPHET wrote:

That's awesome to hear. My buddy started BJJ 5 years ago and says it's changed his life. I was rolling for an hour in a GI, and felt like it was a fantastic workout. I've just got to find a gym where I'm most comfortable with the level of instruction and environment.

Gracie Barra is in that area and irvine I would definitely try that academy. I'm at Gracie Morumbi in ventura county.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
The Thief wrote:

how'd you like it?

I liked the partner aspect of it. A lot of the time your partner will be holding the striking bag or mits and vice versa. It gives you something solid to strike against and at the same time conditions you to people throwing punches or kicks at you. If you stick with it be sure to get into good cardio shape before your first belt test. They pretty much torture you the first test as a type of initiation. My test was over 4 hours long and there were very few breaks.

If I hadn't screwed my shoulder up I would probably still be going to class. My wife is happy I'm not going anymore though because I kicked her in my sleep a few times at night dreaming I was in class.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
22 wrote:
The Thief wrote:

how'd you like it?

I liked the partner aspect of it. A lot of the time your partner will be holding the striking bag or mits and vice versa. It gives you something solid to strike against and at the same time conditions you to people throwing punches or kicks at you. If you stick with it be sure to get into good cardio shape before your first belt test. They pretty much torture you the first test as a type of initiation. My test was over 4 hours long and there were very few breaks.

If I hadn't screwed my shoulder up I would probably still be going to class. My wife is happy I'm not going anymore though because I kicked her in my sleep a few times at night dreaming I was in class.

ouch!

And I'm in decent cardio shape right now, but my goodness 4 hours sounds utterly BRUTAL.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject:

My son started taekwondo at 5, and is now a 2nd degree black belt. He's been doing bjj for almost a year, and we'll be adding kickboxing this summer. I plan on him doing bjj and kickboxing for the next few years, and then we'll see where he goes from there. He's 11 now, so he has a ways to go.

Definitely enjoy hearing others experiences with bjj and mma. I hope this translates to life long skills for him.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:

I just had my torn labrum fixed on Jan 14th. How long did a full recovery take for you?
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
My son started taekwondo at 5, and is now a 2nd degree black belt. He's been doing bjj for almost a year, and we'll be adding kickboxing this summer. I plan on him doing bjj and kickboxing for the next few years, and then we'll see where he goes from there. He's 11 now, so he has a ways to go.

Definitely enjoy hearing others experiences with bjj and mma. I hope this translates to life long skills for him.

My daughters will start TKD this summer. They are 6. I'm not a fan of TKD as I think it'll get your ass kicked in the real world. But it is a good introduction to the martial arts and I don't want my girls to be able to really hurt someone at this age.

I figure they'll take a similar path as your Son. At 9 or 10, I'll start training them in MT and then move to JJ. My goal is that by the time they are in middle school, no way anyone ever tries to (bleep) with them. I think that the MT will be the lynchpin to their ability to protect themselves as it's really for the first 15 or 20 seconds of the fight and then things go to ground. But unless you're trained to deal with that first 15 seconds of that trained MT fighter, you can't hope to last.
The Thief
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
The Thief wrote:

I just had my torn labrum fixed on Jan 14th. How long did a full recovery take for you?

I had pretty good size tear. It was a year before it healed fully. That being said I still have some pain in the shoulder at the end of it's movement range but I lost a chunk of the labrum due to the tear so I was told that was to be expected. I don't do any heavy lifting in the gym anymore but I can golf without issue so I'm happy.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

My daughters will start TKD this summer. They are 6. I'm not a fan of TKD as I think it'll get your ass kicked in the real world. But it is a good introduction to the martial arts and I don't want my girls to be able to really hurt someone at this age.

I figure they'll take a similar path as your Son. At 9 or 10, I'll start training them in MT and then move to JJ. My goal is that by the time they are in middle school, no way anyone ever tries to (bleep) with them. I think that the MT will be the lynchpin to their ability to protect themselves as it's really for the first 15 or 20 seconds of the fight and then things go to ground. But unless you're trained to deal with that first 15 seconds of that trained MT fighter, you can't hope to last.

One good thing about TKD is that it looks cool, which is enough to keep kids motivated. It's also great for learning balance and body control.

I always wondered when was a good time for MT because I wondered if working those shins would stunt growth at all.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

One good thing about TKD is that it looks cool, which is enough to keep kids motivated. It's also great for learning balance and body control.

I always wondered when was a good time for MT because I wondered if working those shins would stunt growth at all.

I'm not big into shins. For the most part, I practice kicks to the lower outer and inner thigh only. Kicking any higher, or kicking a lot will get you in a very bad position, especially living in a state where everyone wrestles. In MT competition, where everyone agrees not to go to ground, it's all good to do all the high, medium and low kicks, but in a street fight, where there are no rules, that's a losing position.

The power of MT in a street fight, IMO, is the ability to know how to get into either a favorable clinch or plume and then drop crippling bombs with hands, elbows and knees.

I do agree with you about TKD for those reasons and also because the program near my house is just stellar for children. But they'll never save themselves with that. I'm no great fighter, but I'd feel pretty confident going against even a World Class TKD fighter if that's all he/she brought to the table.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject:

The Thief wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
The Thief wrote:

I had pretty good size tear. It was a year before it healed fully. That being said I still have some pain in the shoulder at the end of it's movement range but I lost a chunk of the labrum due to the tear so I was told that was to be expected. I don't do any heavy lifting in the gym anymore but I can golf without issue so I'm happy.

That's too bad. 6 months to a year is the recovery window. I had a nice tear, looks like they anchored it well and its healing well so far.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

I'm not big into shins. For the most part, I practice kicks to the lower outer and inner thigh only. Kicking any higher, or kicking a lot will get you in a very bad position, especially living in a state where everyone wrestles. In MT competition, where everyone agrees not to go to ground, it's all good to do all the high, medium and low kicks, but in a street fight, where there are no rules, that's a losing position.

The power of MT in a street fight, IMO, is the ability to know how to get into either a favorable clinch or plume and then drop crippling bombs with hands, elbows and knees.

I do agree with you about TKD for those reasons and also because the program near my house is just stellar for children. But they'll never save themselves with that. I'm no great fighter, but I'd feel pretty confident going against even a World Class TKD fighter if that's all he/she brought to the table.

I agree, I never though about TKD as the answer for self defense. I found it is a great gateway into martial arts. I will say that TKD has provided my son with confidence that he didn't have prior to training. When my son is training and "in the mood" to spar he's pretty good at it. He's done state competitions, and nationals (there are some damn talented kids at the national level), and as a result he's become pretty damn good with his feet.

I have hopes that the TKD will transfer over to the kickboxing. In TKD there is minimal emphasis on using your hands, so I figure kickboxing will be a good way for him to learn stand up fighting with his feet AND hands, all while using a form that he is already very comfortable with. As you mention, the fight will eventually go to the ground, so that's where the BJJ comes in at. He chose that himself, and seems to enjoy it. I will say that BJJ is tough to learn, or at least it will take years and years of training to master it. I'm glad I got him into it while he is still young.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject:

I'm probably not going to put my son into BJJ until he's got a good wrestling base first. When it comes to control, I see wrestling as the superior art.

My son is 6 yrs old right now and enrolled in Kenpo. He's just an orange belt and had his first tournament a short while back. He entered Forms and Self Defense Techniques.

When his teacher asked him why he didn't enter Sparring (he's not too shabby), he said, "It's point sparring. It's not real sparring."

The teacher felt so proud.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

I agree, I never though about TKD as the answer for self defense. I found it is a great gateway into martial arts. I will say that TKD has provided my son with confidence that he didn't have prior to training. When my son is training and "in the mood" to spar he's pretty good at it. He's done state competitions, and nationals (there are some damn talented kids at the national level), and as a result he's become pretty damn good with his feet.

I have hopes that the TKD will transfer over to the kickboxing. In TKD there is minimal emphasis on using your hands, so I figure kickboxing will be a good way for him to learn stand up fighting with his feet AND hands, all while using a form that he is already very comfortable with. As you mention, the fight will eventually go to the ground, so that's where the BJJ comes in at. He chose that himself, and seems to enjoy it. I will say that BJJ is tough to learn, or at least it will take years and years of training to master it. I'm glad I got him into it while he is still young.

That's awesome. I hope my girls follow in your son's footsteps!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: