Rumor: Rambis Lead Candidate for Suns' Coaching Vacancy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject:

Mockerfab4 wrote:
ACS Rob wrote:
has he already been interviewed? is that allowed given the laker season isn't even done yet? if not, how can he be the leading candidate?

...wish him luck with the suns ...even if he knows what the lakers are going to do, he doesn't have the talent on the team to stop them.

I don't think that same policy applies for Assistants. Did'nt Shaw interview for the Bulls HC vacancy a few weeks ago?

Rambis hasn't been interviewed. In fact, the Arizona papers are saying that Marc Jackson will be the first interview sometime this week. The "leading candidate" thing is just a rumor and based on sources/information/thinking that Kerr wants Rambis.

I don't think the rules are different for assistants. The Suns still need to get permission from the Lakers to talk to Rambis (and/or Rambis needs to get permission as well). And Shaw might be on the Bulls' radar, but I haven't seen anything that says he interviewed for the job. Doesn't seem like he would do that during a playoff run.
Heyvoon24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject:

If this is true, won't the Lakers get considerations, such as cash and draft picks? If I recall correctly some team a couple years ago got 2 first rounders for sending their assistant coach to another team.
Manilathrilla121
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject:

I'd hate to see Rambis go, but it would clear up the bench for the future homecoming of one Mr. Byron Scott.
Dude
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject:

It all depends on what his end goal is. If he wants to be a head coach and lose, or if he wants to be an assistant and win multiple championships...it's really all up to him.
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject:

I wonder what type of offense he would run.

---George Carlin
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject:

Heyvoon24 wrote:
If this is true, won't the Lakers get considerations, such as cash and draft picks? If I recall correctly some team a couple years ago got 2 first rounders for sending their assistant coach to another team.

In theory, the Lakers could demand compensation. But they won't, as they're too classy for that. The org won't stand in the way of one of their own landing a career opportunity.

You do recall correctly about the compensation demand. It was the Blazers.
lalfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject:

i could care less. let Rambis go, he's not the replacement for phil anyway.
lalfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject:

Laker_in_Tulsa wrote:

i wouldn't be surprised a little bit of triangle offense while Shaq is still playing and grant hill is taylor made for that offense. especially if Nash goes to NY this off season.
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject:

ANYTHING BUT THE SUNS KURT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but, if he does, best of luck, he deserves it.
purple8goldvanessa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject:

thegreatest wrote:
I can't see Shaq allowing this. The Suns don't want an angry Shaq. Dan got out in time.

man f snaq and his selfish fat ass. I hope he just quits next year so people will realize what he really is. Rambis deserves a coaching job so gook luck to him.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject:

Would love to see Kurt get a chance to be a head coach again ... especially with a team other than the Lakers.

But, I highly doubt the Suns will be the ones to give him his long-awaited return gig since Shaq was not a big admirer of Rambisaurus the last time they had a head coach/player relationship. In Shaq's mind (and words of his autobiography), Rambis was most interested in coddling Kobe ... a big Shaq no-no ... and I highly doubt someone as vindictive and petty as Shaq would let by-bones be bygones. It would also interest me to see if Rambis has any desire to coach so badly that he would be willing to take on what appears to be lame duck position given that whomever they hire will not be around once they decide to scrap the whole thing in a year or two.
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject:

PHX radio aired an interview Kerr did right after the D'Antoni press conference where he stated that he was talking to Suns players about how they would feel about being coached by someone they had played with in the past. With the addition of Shaq, and the Suns getting older combined with Kerr's history with Phil and the Triangle offense, I wouldn't be surprised if he was thinking about running the Triangle in Phoenix and hiring a coach who could run it. I was thinking Jim Cleamons at first, but then my thoughts turned to Rambis, B Shaw or maybe Ron Harper, who was an assistant with Detroit where they play defense. Kerr did hint he was thinking of people no one had mentioned yet as well. It would be beneficial to hire someone who had coached under Phil so they would know all our tendencies as their biggest rival in the Pacific division (think Nelly/Avery situation last year), as well as someone who could teach defense as well. I think that would help them, but nothing is going to make up for the lack of speed and athleticism they have compared to our full strength roster. I think Kerr will lean toward the Triangle and someone he knows from his Bulls days or who is coaching under Phil. Just my .02.

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject:

Laker_in_Tulsa wrote:
Triangle would be my guess...although he would probably incorporate some stuff from his days playing for Riles, like B Scott has...

Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
Mockerfab4 wrote:
ACS Rob wrote:
has he already been interviewed? is that allowed given the laker season isn't even done yet? if not, how can he be the leading candidate?

...wish him luck with the suns ...even if he knows what the lakers are going to do, he doesn't have the talent on the team to stop them.

I don't think that same policy applies for Assistants. Did'nt Shaw interview for the Bulls HC vacancy a few weeks ago?

Rambis hasn't been interviewed. In fact, the Arizona papers are saying that Marc Jackson will be the first interview sometime this week. The "leading candidate" thing is just a rumor and based on sources/information/thinking that Kerr wants Rambis.

I don't think the rules are different for assistants. The Suns still need to get permission from the Lakers to talk to Rambis (and/or Rambis needs to get permission as well). And Shaw might be on the Bulls' radar, but I haven't seen anything that says he interviewed for the job. Doesn't seem like he would do that during a playoff run.
I had heard that they can't interview anyone whose team is still active in the playoffs...is that true? If so, they'd have to wait until we're out of the playoffs, which with any luck would be in June... Kerr did say he was going to take his time and the process could take up to a month.

doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject:

Shaquille dogged him once ..... will he do it again is the question?

Good luck Rambo if its true
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Rambis is ready (and deserving) of another opportunity. He was going to leave last year, until the Kings went with Theus.

Hope he stays, but if someone offers him a job, I think he's gone.

btw, ran into him several times last weekend in Utah (lunch, dinner, gym, etc) - really nice guy.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject:

When West was GM there were more than one rumors about interest in Mitch but Mitch elected to stay with the Lakers in the hope that the GM position would eventually open up.... Mitch's patience was rewarded and the Laker franchise is now reaping the reward as well.

Rambis is the one who takes over when Phil is not available... most on this board do not believe that Kurt will be considered after Phil I guess presumably because he had his chance but I don't agree with that premise....

Possibly Rambis takes the same route that Mitch took and stays on... I don't see Phil coaching much past his current 2 year extention and I believe in contrast to others that Kurt might get the nod eventually post Phil.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
Total_Package
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: kurt rambis as suns' new coach??

818lakers wrote:
sorry if this is a repost...

i was just watching espnews and they said kurt rambis is the leading front runner for the new coaching vacancy in phx. did anyone else hear this?

IF he does take the job....how will it effect the lakers when they play the suns assuming kurt knows every play the lakers run.

It wouldnt. Shaq is too old. Nash is already aging aswell.
Come on now, the Suns arent a squad who can play defense. You can give them the play book that the Lakers are going to play. You can even tell them exactly who the Lakers are going to pass to. Where they like to take shots and how and who they pass to.
But the Suns will still get beat. They are a pathetic squad. Two star players at around the age of 35. BWAHAHA.

They are done. Might aswell try to trade Nash and Shaq. They will get nothing in return but ohwell...

Thanks Kobe! Back to your old self, circa 04 Finals.

OX1947 wrote:
(bleep) phoenix, bunch of whining freakin (bleep).....
tiniyo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject:

The phoenix (eclipse of the) sun still won't win.
36OFerrari
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Good to hear that he has a chance to move up but the fact that it's the Suns, it's disgusting haha. As long as either Nash, Bell or Barbosa is on the Suns, they will remain greasy.
Vercetti
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Keep Shaw, let rambis go.
Mockerfab4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Listening to the PHX radio now. Local yokels are dismissing the Rambis rumour and flat out saying this is'nt true and basically repeating the relationship he has with Shaq. The big "breaking" news here, is that Terry Porter has interviewed already for this job. Local Yokels like the idea of Porter.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject:

The Suns would have our number.
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Great. There go the Suns. I was not a fan of Rambis here as a head coach. Yeah he was thrown into it, but something didn't click for me. Asst. is his calling. Maybe he proves me wrong. Good luck Rambo. What the Suns really need is a name coach to counter Shaq and Nash not Rambis.
Buddy Love
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rumor: Rambis Lead Candidate for Suns' Coaching Vacancy

Exick wrote:
A couple people saw this (along the bottom crawl) during ESPN's First and 10 this morning.

What do you think? Does Kurt want that job and would the Lakers want to let him go?

People who saw it:
FB&G reader Goo (comment #21)
ASFN Suns board

oh god, i think im going to puke
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: