Why Trade Devean George?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Chris Mihm a solid 35-40 min/game guy?
yes
35%
 35%  [ 22 ]
no
32%
 32%  [ 20 ]
he's just filling in until Bynum is ready
32%
 32%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 62

All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Why Trade Devean George?

Now that Caron Butler is out of the picture, who can be a better player to backup Lamar Odom than Devean George? People complain that he hasn't lived up to his contract but the fact of the matter is he had a good showing two seasons ago and had been hurt for much of last season. When he was able to return, he was thrown into a bad situation with most of the starting players either not playing or playing injured. Devean George fits well in the triangle, and is one of the most athletic players in the league. Word has it, he can jump higher than Kobe [ Although he isn't on the same level of athelticism as Kobe...but who is? ] Anyways, I think it woudl be a mistake to trade Devean George. The Lakers had a solid team last year anyways that was marred with injuries. This year, Kobe and Lamar are a year older together, Chris Mihm is more developed, we have traded garbage Chucky and Caron (well we have to give something up) Butler for a NUMBER 1 overall pick who just happens to play the position we are weakest at. And oh yeah, Phil Jackson is back. Let's sign a point guard (DA, NVE, TL or whoever) and let Phil work his magic. I'm out.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject:

Luke Walton, Jumaine Jones, Devean George.

One has to go if Odom is gonna get majority of the minutes. DG has the most trade value considerig he has the most left on his contract plus its expiring. I would of preferred the Lakers had not resign Luke but it looks to be a done deal. I think JJ would replace him fine.
SCAR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject:

Devean>JJ
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject:

No, Jones>>>George
big-og
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject:

[DELETED]
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject:

We could keep both and put Devean behind Kobe

Lamar,Luke,Jj
Kobe,Devean,Von
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject:

big-og wrote:
orwell wrote:
No, Jones>>>George

Scar>>>Orwell when it comes to brains

LG: All fans are welcome but any spam/smack/obscenities/ads/personal attacks will be deleted. We're serious.
I SMELL BANNED IP COMING UP!
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject:

george would be a great player off the bench for us. he shoots the 3, runs the floor, rebounds, defends well, and knows the tri better than anyone on this team not named kobe.

we'll need bench help, and a guy who can play starter minutes if needed. unless there is a really beneficial deal out there for us involving devo, i just don't dump him for the sake of making a move. he will be very valuable this year with the young guys and the new sysytem for most.

i know most will bytch up a storm over this, but slava kinda falls under the same cicumstance. a second unit with the understanding of the tri they have could be big for us. it's enough that most of our starters are rookies in the tri, it's tough to have your bench players get too comfortable in the system while playing limited minutes. both devo and slava could help us to have a formidable bench. add jj/cook/ and hopefully von. could be a decently strong bench
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject:

George needs to be moved because his contract is up at the end of the season. He will not sign a one-year extension and he won't get re-signed after 2007.

Now among the SFs on the bench--George, Walton, Jones, and Profit, George is probably the best back up because of his defensive ability. But, he's not so much better than Jones that we're going to win games if he's on the team. And since he isn't going to be retained past this season, the logical choice is to trade him, if possible, for someone with two years left on their contract.

It has been pointed out by others that we will not be players in the free agent market at all next season if we're trying to clear cap room for 2007. Thus, we need everyone to be on 2 year contracts or we're not going to be able to fill needs next season. So, by this logic, George has to go, be it now or at the trade deadline. If renegotiating contracts in the NBA was legal and George could be convinced to take a big paycut and sign a one-year extension, sure, keep him around. But, at the moment, that contract is looking more valueable in trade than on the bench.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject:

orwell wrote:
big-og wrote:
orwell wrote:
No, Jones>>>George

LG: All fans are welcome but any spam/smack/obscenities/ads/personal attacks will be deleted. We're serious.

this guy says they cant ban him because he found a way out of it,
this is a PM he sent me,ill edit the profanity

lakeshow03 wrote:
whatever floats ur boat

nevermind, (bllep) u too (bleep). they cant ban me anymore, theres a way around it (bleep), so i dont care
big-og
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject:

lakeshow03 wrote:
orwell wrote:
big-og wrote:
orwell wrote:
No, Jones>>>George

lakeshow03 wrote:
whatever floats ur boat

nevermind, (bllep) u too (bleep). they cant ban me anymore, theres a way around it (bleep), so i dont care

forget it ill just not come here anymore, because I'm too stupid.
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
Luke Walton, Jumaine Jones, Devean George.

One has to go if Odom is gonna get majority of the minutes. DG has the most trade value considerig he has the most left on his contract plus its expiring. I would of preferred the Lakers had not resign Luke but it looks to be a done deal. I think JJ would replace him fine.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject:

lakeshow03 wrote:
orwell wrote:
big-og wrote:
orwell wrote:
No, Jones>>>George

lakeshow03 wrote:
whatever floats ur boat

i dont know who people hated here more,this guy^ or chucky..??
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject:

what's this about not being able to keep george for two years? If jj is so good anyways, why not let him develop for one year and play him next year after we get george's last year. Chances are, DG is gonna have a breakout year because it is his contract year. Might as well break out for us i understand we have to plan for the future [bynum, 07' cap space]. but we also have to win now.

p.s. don't forget about ronny.
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Trash removed.

I'm with COCO!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, pcm
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject:

DG has some value, because he did start a significant number of games. The Lakers also have Odom, JJ, and Walton. It doesn't leave many minutes for DG.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject:

pmakker wrote:
what's this about not being able to keep george for two years?

His contract is up at the end of this season. He won't sign a one year extension. So either we have for a year and let him walk and get nothing or trade him now.

Quote:
If jj is so good anyways, why not let him develop for one year and play him next year after we get george's last year.

His contract is also up in a year. He will also not sign a one year contract. Same deal as George--let him walk at the end of the season or trade him for something now.

Quote:
Chances are, DG is gonna have a breakout year because it is his contract year.

Chances are DG will do no such thing in a Lakers uniform. He would, at best, see about 20 minutes a night, in which it is unlikely he does more than his usual 7 and 4 with good defense. He's a six year vet now (as is JJ)--what you see is what you get, there is no upside for either player.

Quote:
i understand we have to plan for the future [bynum, 07' cap space]. but we also have to win now.

Exactly. Which is why George and Jones need to be moved in a trade for a player with a 2 year contract who can contribute.

Quote:
p.s. don't forget about ronny.

Ronny is totally out of the equation for all intents and purposes. It'd be great if he's back in a year or two, but no point on banking on it now. Ronny's got a long, long way to go. I wish him the best, I want to see him suit up for the team someday, but there is no point in planning with him in consideration at the moment.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject:

This is a redundant thread, we had this conversation last week in a thread entitled: "Is Jurmaine Jones a starting SF" Which ended up being "who is better Jurmaine or Devean?"

Devean is NOT worthless, but he is a classic underacheiver. He has more raw talent then Jurmaine, but dosen't understand how to play our complex triangle system. Jurmaine in one year, figured it out, and was great in his role. He is not a starter for us anyway, but a valuable backup. In my opinion, only Jurmaine and Chris Mihm met or exceeded player expecatations last year, Kobe himself had an off year (for him anyway).

Bottom line: In one year, Jurmaine proved he earned the right to make the squad and be seeded ahead of Devean. Devean actually needs another city to try and make his mark on basketball. He never has, and never will fill expectations here. Devean by now should be a yearly sixth man of the year candidate with 10-15 point, 7 rebound games every night. I don't hate him, but his value to the Lakers has been reduced to getting a good trade value for him. Best of luck, whereever Mitch trades you Devean.
Serious NBA Fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject:

Apparantly, we ARE trying to trade George. According to Emplay on Hoopsworld (team reports, Lakers) we offered George and Medvedenko for the White Chocolate, but weren't willing to go for a bigger deal.

With Lamar and JJ, Walton and Profit, we don't need Goerge
lakerzpimp08
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject:

Serious NBA Fan wrote:
Apparantly, we ARE trying to trade George. According to Emplay on Hoopsworld (team reports, Lakers) we offered George and Medvedenko for the White Chocolate, but weren't willing to go for a bigger deal.

With Lamar and JJ, Walton and Profit, we don't need Goerge

surprised we were willin to take on jwills contract but atleast we know we are tryin to get something in return for his ending k

"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards... Checkmate!"

I'm the man with no name... Zapp Brannigan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
dirtycash26
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject:

walton was just resigned, indicating that he has probably been promised minutes of somekind, im guessing 10-20 backing up odom and might get a few when odom slides down to pf at points. jermaine jones is a dead end player that should never ever see more than 10 minutes on any kind of playoff team. he may be a good player to keep because of his veteran presence in practice and hes pretty cheap. this leaves devean the odd man out, as i cant see odom getting less than 35 minutes and it doesnt make sense to split up the other 10 or so. if he played back-up sg he could see a small amount of time behind kobe, but other than that hes just another expiring contract that we can hopefully deal at the deadline for some more solid young players and/or draft picks.
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject:

Okay folks, school is in session. OUR player's name is Jumaine, not Jermaine, Jurmaine, or anything else with an R in it (That guy plays for Indiana). JU maine, JU get it?

Sorry, it's been bothering me a long time and I just needed to get that off my chest. I'll put down the coffee now :roll: .
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject:

Gump must go! Everytime you expect him to finally pull his head out - he either gets hurt or falls into a slump or is depressed - ENOUGH ALREADY!

The shooter from the little school experiment is over, Gump needs to be someone else's "good role player when healthy"

I vote Jones>George
eagle816
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject:

PopcornMachine wrote:
Trash removed.

Absolutely correct.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: