Defensive adjustments

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DazedAndConfused
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Defensive adjustments

BOS relies more on ISO plays than any team I've seen in the playoffs, so getting our defensive assignments correctly will be key in this series.

KG - No matter who we put on him he will score his points. The key is to keep him out of the paint, Gasol is not quick enough to stay close with him and basically had to concede the jumpshot all night long. Odom IS quick enough to stay with him but will not bother his shot at all because he is too small. Still, KG shooting jumpshots is better than KG blowing by Pau for an easy dunk. Plus, we want Pau in the paint where he can challenge shots instead of out on the perimeter guarding KG. IMHO we need to keep Odom on him and just live with the results.

Ray-Ray - He tore Sasha a new one, and that's because he actually can do more than just catch and shoot. Unless Sasha makes some adjustments we'd be better served keeping Kobe on Ray. Hopefully Ariza can get some burn, and I think he'd be perfect to put on Ray because he has the length and footspeed to bother his shots.

Pierce - Another mismatch for us. I liked our strategy of doubling him with Odom, it really took him out of the game in the 1st half. I have no easy answers for this guy, Kobe is probably our best defender to use on him but it will have to be in spurts towards the end of the game.

Rondo - Fisher did an OK job on him. Keep him shooting and DON'T foul him under any circumstances. He got into the paint a few times, we need to do a better job of trapping him and putting more pressure on him.

Alien - He abused Fisher on some ridiculous shots. The scary thing is he can make those and you don't want to take chances with him. Keep Sasha or Kobe on him at all times. We want guys with enough length to block that fade of his, he is not quick enough to beat anyone off the dribble anymore.
MagicmanLAL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject:

The defense was fine. They just got too many calls. Maybe play without fouling. I dont know.

The whole team depends on Kobes performance. When Kobe is being John Starks he will not get open dunks for Gasol or Odom and that means a stagnent offense.

When Kobe plays like he does in the WCF every year the team gets dunks and better rhytem. That means they are scoring more and get a chance to play the lanes for steals to run more.

This is why people had the question if Kobe can lead a team to a title. His shot selection can kill you when you are playing a team that is playing well.

He does not have Shaq anymore who you can just throw him the ball and he will create his own shot. And he does not have a Pippen who can create his shot.

The team is dependent on Kobe at least until Bynum gets healthy.
DazedAndConfused
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject:

MagicmanLAL wrote:
The defense was fine. They just got too many calls. Maybe play without fouling. I dont know.

The whole team depends on Kobes performance. When Kobe is being John Starks he will not get open dunks for Gasol or Odom and that means a stagnent offense.

When Kobe plays like he does in the WCF every year the team gets dunks and better rhytem. That means they are scoring more and get a chance to play the lanes for steals to run more.

This is why people had the question if Kobe can lead a team to a title. His shot selection can kill you when you are playing a team that is playing well.

He does not have Shaq anymore who you can just throw him the ball and he will create his own shot. And he does not have a Pippen who can create his shot.

I agree, without Bynum our defense and rebounding is not good enough to win games where we struggle offensively. That's what is going to make all the difference next season, having that rock solid defense to rely on when the offense isn't clicking.
MagicmanLAL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject:

DazedAndConfused wrote:
MagicmanLAL wrote:

I agree, without Bynum our defense and rebounding is not good enough to win games where we struggle offensively. That's what is going to make all the difference next season, having that rock solid defense to rely on when the offense isn't clicking.

Who cares about next year. Someone else could get hurt. Plus Odom, Gasol and Bynum wont work because not enough outside shooting. Odom will have to be traded for a guy who can space the floor.

They need to win the title this year. Plus Fisher will be a year old next year.
dawglaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Defensive adjustments

DazedAndConfused wrote:
BOS relies more on ISO plays than any team I've seen in the playoffs, so getting our defensive assignments correctly will be key in this series.

KG - No matter who we put on him he will score his points. The key is to keep him out of the paint, Gasol is not quick enough to stay close with him and basically had to concede the jumpshot all night long. Odom IS quick enough to stay with him but will not bother his shot at all because he is too small. Still, KG shooting jumpshots is better than KG blowing by Pau for an easy dunk. Plus, we want Pau in the paint where he can challenge shots instead of out on the perimeter guarding KG. IMHO we need to keep Odom on him and just live with the results.

Ray-Ray - He tore Sasha a new one, and that's because he actually can do more than just catch and shoot. Unless Sasha makes some adjustments we'd be better served keeping Kobe on Ray. Hopefully Ariza can get some burn, and I think he'd be perfect to put on Ray because he has the length and footspeed to bother his shots.

Pierce - Another mismatch for us. I liked our strategy of doubling him with Odom, it really took him out of the game in the 1st half. I have no easy answers for this guy, Kobe is probably our best defender to use on him but it will have to be in spurts towards the end of the game.

Rondo - Fisher did an OK job on him. Keep him shooting and DON'T foul him under any circumstances. He got into the paint a few times, we need to do a better job of trapping him and putting more pressure on him.

Alien - He abused Fisher on some ridiculous shots. The scary thing is he can make those and you don't want to take chances with him. Keep Sasha or Kobe on him at all times. We want guys with enough length to block that fade of his, he is not quick enough to beat anyone off the dribble anymore.

those moving screens sure helped too
MagicmanLAL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Put Kobe on Ray all game. I noticed the crowd feeds off Ray more than anybody because they dont expect him to play well.

Stop the useless double teaming. The only guy you should double is PP if he is hot. The rest of the guys play 1 on 1 and live with the result.

The double teaming is playing into their hands. They are stand still shooters.

One time they doubled kg to leave Ray Allen open. It was so silly. Another time they doubled KG again to leave Posey open.
MagicmanLAL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject:

And dont leave Rondo open. Anybody can make a jumper at home.

Play pressure defense vs him. If he does not play well they have nobody to get them into their offense.
Heir
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject:

MagicmanLAL wrote:

You can't be serious. Boston's had games this year in the playoffs where they struggled to reach 70 points. 98 points aren't from a result of bad calls. How about rebounding? And stopping Rondo from driving into the paint? Or getting back on defense in transition? Blocking out?

Give me a break. The world isn't out to make the Lakers lose.
We are earth people on a spiritual journey to the stars. Our quest, our earth walk, is to look within, to know who we are, to see that we are connected to all things, that there is no separation, only in the mind.
Aces25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Defensive adjustments

dawglaker wrote:
DazedAndConfused wrote:

those moving screens sure helped too

I can count at least 5 moving screens by Celtics and not called last night.
gotsport
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject:

The ONLY adjustment needed by the Lakers involves Kobe. Stop taking 20 shots that should only be taken in a game of H-O-R-S-E or P-I-G, not in a damn championship implication game.
DazedAndConfused
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject:

I couldn't agree more, which is why it was good to see Kobe practicing shots from the pinch post today. He needs to operate much closer and focus on taking the quick shot instead of trying to beat his man off the dribble.

Ray Allen is getting right in his grill, and he needs to make him pay for doing that.
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject:

I think Kobe on pierce is a good idea. What's he guarding Ray Allen for? someone else can do an adequate job at that I'm sure.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: