Forrest beats Rampage!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Forrest beats Rampage!

First of all great game plan by Forrest to use the leg kicks to keep Rampage at bay. It was a great fight between two great fighters and guys one of the best fights at that weight class that I have seen. Ax murderer and Rampage for the next fight, props to Forrest! Reminded me of Keith Jardine's game plan against Chuck Liddell, utilize the leg kicks to keep the strikers at a distance and to minimize their power. Both guys class acts!
jabberjaw
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject:

sigh, didnt see the fight, but was rooting for rampage. im disappointed since page promised a knock out, hate decisions. but this could be an attempt to make ppl take TUF seriously? ; _ ;
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject:

That was a great fight. Those kicks did really decide the fight. Rampage took a lot of them all fight. You could pretty much see them coming every time after a while. Rampage did land some good punches but Forrest showed a lot taking all of them. That one uppercut in the first round Rampage put on him I thought might have ended it but Forrest did a great job stopping Rampage's ground and pound right after. Rampage pretty much did nothing on the ground the 2 times he had Forrest there.
MyKRo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject:

Rampage looked sluggish from the very beginning..It was the nine months he took off. Forrest didn't really do anything impressive even though he won. I want to see a rematch.
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Forrest Griffin has never really impressed me as a fighter and he certainly didn't do it last night. What I like about him is his determination and will to win. He's never out out a fight unless you put him down. What I don't like is that he's Dana's golden boy. David Stern has LeBron James/Dwyane Wade and Dana White has Forrest Griffin. The commentators yesterday were embarrassing. They were cheering for Forrest all night long.

Here's how I scored it

1: Jackson 10-9 (better strikes, knocked Griffin down)
2: Griffin 10-9 (Griffin pushed action, hurt Jackson with good damaging leg kicks)
3: Jackson 10-9 (This round is more of a toss up. Griffin had better kicks, 'Page better hand strikes)
4: Jackson 10-9 (Slam, takedown and better striking from 'Page, Griffin a few submission attempts & nice jabs)
5: Griffin 10-9 (Griffin had better strikes including nice leg kicks. 'Page gassed out)

Total: 48-47 for Quinton Jackson

Last edited by j-dawg on Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject:

MyKRo wrote:
Rampage looked sluggish from the very beginning..It was the nine months he took off. Forrest didn't really do anything impressive even though he won. I want to see a rematch.

Rampage looked out of shape. It might have something to do with his taped up right ankle, and once his was 'tweaked' his left knee earlier in the second from one of those Forrest leg kicks, he was a sitting duck. He couldn't control Griffin on the ground at all after that.

Good win for Griffin, he's the champ now. I definitely want to see a rematch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject:

I've been a Rampage hater for a while now. Ever since he dethrowned The Iceman.

I was hoping that Kimbo Slice was gonna have a chance to mop up Jackson but that would never happen . Since Kimbo is a heavyweight and Rampage is a light heavy.
bynumite17
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject:

dang i wanted Page to win!
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
Forrest Griffin has never really impressed me as a fighter and he certainly didn't do it last night. What I like about him is his determination and will to win. He's never out out a fight unless you put him down. What I don't like is that he's Dana's golden boy. David Stern has LeBron James/Dwyane Wade and Dana White has Forrest Griffin. The commentators yesterday were embarrassing. They were cheering for Forrest all night long.

Here's how I scored it

2: Griffin 10-9 (Griffin pushed action, hurt Jackson with good damaging leg kicks)
3: Jackson 10-9 (This round is more of a toss up. Griffin had better kicks, 'Page better hand strikes)
4: Jackson 10-9 (Slam, takedown and better striking from 'Page, Griffin a few submission attempts & nice jabs)
5: Griffin 10-9 (Griffin had better strikes including nice leg kicks. 'Page gassed out)

No way...
2nd round, at the very least, should've been a 10-8 round for Forrest.
Forrest had control of most of the fight especially after that 2nd round.
Even Rampage said he got his ass beat!
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject:

KingKobe20Dub wrote:
I've been a Rampage hater for a while now. Ever since he dethrowned The Iceman.

I was hoping that Kimbo Slice was gonna have a chance to mop up Jackson but that would never happen . Since Kimbo is a heavyweight and Rampage is a light heavy.

Kimbo is garbage.. a street fighter that doesn't belong in any kind of ring..

Rampage is easily a better fighter... even with his half-assed performance last night.

Kimbo gasses halfway into the first round... then he lays on the guy for the next two rounds..

Heavy weight bouts tend to go that way anyways...

I'd actually like to see a Wanderlei-Liddell rematch. Which I think Silva will take him down in... also another Wanderlei-rampage fight would be great.. Silva dominated (in every sense of the word) Rampage in two fights... but Rampage in his prime is different than rampage in pride..

Anyone else super stoked for the Anderson Silva fight on Spike coming up?? Dana calls him the best pound for pound fighter alive..
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Free_Kobe wrote:

No way...

No way was that a 10-8 round. I do think that Griffin won that round and that round was a turning point of the fight because Jackson got hurt. For the first 2 minutes, Rampage was hurt but beyond that, it wasn't domination to the point of a 10-8, but more of control on the ground. Griffin was working for a few submissions but wasn't able to capitalize on much.

If that round was a 10-8, then lay and pray masters like Josh Koscheck should regularly score 10-8 rounds with ease. It wasn't 10-8, but it was a dominant 10-9.

But there's no way I can give a 10-8 to that. The commentators were overreacting and all over Forrest's nuts all night. They were talking all night about the 2nd round, even when rampage started making a comeback later on.

Forrest is UFC's golden boy. He's a good fighter and he's an upper tier fighter at the weight class. He doesn't excel at anything but he is rounded enough. He's got heart, determination and good cardio. However, there are at least 5 light-heavyweight fighters in the UFC right now better than him with another 5 who could beat him on their best day. Seems like a cool guy but everything he does is overrated 10x by Dana White and Zuffa. The guy gets handed everything.

Since he won the Ultimate Fighter, they feel the need to market him a little bit more than other fighters. Funny how they talk about him being the original ultimate fighter. Where's Diego Sanchez? Didn't he win in the same year too? Oh yeah that's right, he's not Dana's golden boy so they'll sort of just sweep him aside.

I still don't know why he got the title shot to start with when he beat Shogun. Jardine beats Griffin AND Liddell and he gets Wanderlei, not Rampage. Dana White can go around and talk about how Forrest beat #1 ranked Shogun to get a title shot all he wants, he doesn't truly believe that Shogun is #1, he only says that to make his golden boy look great. If Shogun had beaten Griffin (minus the ruptured ACL he got before the fight, I think he would have), White would have walked around talking about how Shogun wasn't #1 and how he hasn't faced a Chuck Liddell (his other golden boy) yet.

Look at how the guy goes around saying that Fedor is garbage. No credibility whatsoever and is all about HIS agenda. Soon as Fedor signs with him (if he does) watch him make a 180 and talk about Fedor's greatness and legacy. He's a younger bald Vince McMahon.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:
Free_Kobe wrote:

No way...

No way was that a 10-8 round. I do think that Griffin won that round and that round was a turning point of the fight because Jackson got hurt. For the first 2 minutes, Rampage was hurt but beyond that, it wasn't domination to the point of a 10-8, but more of control on the ground. Griffin was working for a few submissions but wasn't able to capitalize on much.

If that round was a 10-8, then lay and pray masters like Josh Koscheck should regularly score 10-8 rounds with ease. It wasn't 10-8, but it was a dominant 10-9.

But there's no way I can give a 10-8 to that. The commentators were overreacting and all over Forrest's nuts all night. They were talking all night about the 2nd round, even when rampage started making a comeback later on.

I agree, it was not at 10-8 round for Griffin... however I do feel Griffin won the fight...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vandido626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject:

j-dawg wrote:

Here's how I scored it

i had it the same way....was it just me or did the announcers seem to predict a griffin win from the start
jabberjaw
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject:

^ it just isnt you. they're like the announcers you hear/see when the lakers play visiting teams.
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject:

its not the announcers that you have to worry about...
The judges had it UNANIMOUS!
i had it at:
10-9 Rampage
10-8 Forrest
10-9 Forrest
10-9 Rampage
10-9 Forrest
and if that adds up right... thats 48-46, THE EXACT SAME THING AS THE JUDGES WHO GET PAID TO DO THAT!

Last edited by Free_Kobe on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject:

Free_Kobe wrote:
i had it at:
10-9 Rampage
10-8 Forrest
10-8 Forrest
10-9 Rampage
10-9 Forrest
and if that adds up right... thats 48-46, THE EXACT SAME THING AS THE JUDGES WHO GET PAID TO DO THAT!

No way the 3rd round was a 10-8 round... NO WAY!!!! There wasn't a 10-8 round in the fight...
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Free_Kobe wrote:
i had it at:
10-9 Rampage
10-8 Forrest
10-9 Forrest (corrected)...
10-9 Rampage
10-9 Forrest

No way the 3rd round was a 10-8 round... NO WAY!!!! There wasn't a 10-8 round in the fight...

oops i meant 10-9
sorry...my bad!
good looking out!

methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject:

MMA judges in the US are terrible. This whole 10 point round system works for boxing but is terrible for MMA.

In any case, I think Forrest won the fight on points but I don't think he could ever finish Rampage. Rampage was a bit rusty and unprepared for Forrest's leg kicks but I think in a rematch he finishes Forrest.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject:

Free_Kobe wrote:

oops i meant 10-9
sorry...my bad!
good looking out!
Whew... for a minute there, I thought I must have watched the wrong fight...
Shockerx8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject:

it was a great fight but theres a lot of disheartened fans out there thinking jackson got cheated. If he wouldve attacked forrest and not play so much defense waiting for him to attack it couldve been a different story. But forrest played that fight very smart attacked his weaknesses, i was pulling for forrest hes a great fighter. Still have great respect for jackson takes A LOT to pick up a guy who is holding on trying to break your arm and throw him down. Reminds me of the fights jackson had in Pride, and was it just me or that fight card was boring despite the main event. The only other fight i got into was the koscheck fight, and thats because i wanted him to get his a$$ kicked, hate that fool. But talk about a blood bath.
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject:

i think it was a draw...
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Shockerx8 wrote:
it was a great fight but theres a lot of disheartened fans out there thinking jackson got cheated. If he wouldve attacked forrest and not play so much defense waiting for him to attack it couldve been a different story. But forrest played that fight very smart attacked his weaknesses, i was pulling for forrest hes a great fighter. Still have great respect for jackson takes A LOT to pick up a guy who is holding on trying to break your arm and throw him down. Reminds me of the fights jackson had in Pride, and was it just me or that fight card was boring despite the main event. The only other fight i got into was the koscheck fight, and thats because i wanted him to get his a$$ kicked, hate that fool. But talk about a blood bath.

Everybody hates that guy! but OMG never seen that much blood on the mat before...
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject:

TUF > PRIDE

Just messing.

I had Forrest winning that fight 3 rounds to 2, but no 10-8 rounds. It was so close though. I wouldn't have been surprised if it went to Rampage.

But check this out from Sherdog:

Griffin's game warranted the win according to the judges, who gave him the nod on tallies of 48-46 (twice) and 49-46. But two judges, Adalaide Byrd and Roy Silbert, favored Griffin 10-9 even in the opening stanza, during which Rampage floored him with a stinging uppercut.

Ridiculous!

In the TUF finale that aired a few weeks ago, one judge had Evan Tanner winning over Kendall Grove where Grove won a split decision. That's unacceptable. The commissions need to approve judges that have some background in MMA, not only boxing. If MMA wants to evolve, the judging needs to be fair and consistent.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
Rampage was a bit rusty and unprepared for Forrest's leg kicks but I think in a rematch he finishes Forrest.

All I was thinking about during the fight while Forrest was so effective with the leg kicks was the first Liddell/Rampage fight in PRIDE. I remembered how Dana White was doing the commentary with Bas and Dana mentioned how Chuck was not following the game plan, which was to soften Jackson with leg kicks. I was thinking, "Wow, Dana was absolutely right way back then."

Randy Couture and Forrest's trainers came up with a great game plan against Rampage.
lakerade
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject:

I was surprised that Forrest took this one, i was rooting for him but i predicted Rampage first round TKO which almost happened but Forrest was able to regain his composure, dominate the second round, and win.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: