Buying a Used Car
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kobi-wan-kenobi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Buying a Used Car

Im looking at a 2003 Maxima with 70k miles at a dealer..

Dealers asking price - $15k

Kbb's retail price - $13,140

Kbb's private party price - $10,065

Basically what Im wondering is what my starting offer should be... $9500?

And do you ever want to pay retail price at a dealership for a used car?
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject:

Check the NADA price quotes as well. Seems like most dealers try to steer away from KBB and find the highest quotes possible. There was actually a 3rd book they use now, but I can't seem to remember it at the moment.

Never pay the sticker price on a used car.

Looking at the #'s you put abover I'd assume one would pay between $13,500-$14,500. Depending on your negotiating skills, dealer's greed, and market conditions on the car(lot of interest, or has it been on the lot for a while?).

I'd also suggest getting a carfax report unless the dealer provides you with one

Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject:

You should check out CarFaire. I've sold a couple of my cars there, it's a pretty cool thing. www.carfaire.com/
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject:

Just doing a quick check on autotrader it seems like that dealer is definately at the high end of the spectrum. Make sure you do yourself justice and always, always, always shop around.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject:

Dealerships generally rip off people who sell them their used cars. That means they make large profit margins when they sell those used cars. You've got a lot of room to work with in negotiating down.

Without knowing the condition of the car, I'm guessing if the dealership bought that car from an individual, they probably did so for at least a grand less than the blue book value. I'd start by offering somewhere below that at least.
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject:

How badly do you need a used car? With that kind of price, I might as well get a new car if I were you.
Greg-Dawg®
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject:

Go to CarMax.
Kobi-wan-kenobi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject:

I think Im gonna start out with an offer of about $9500...

Theres no way Im going anywhere near retail value, and honestly I dont want to pay much more than private party value either. Cause if I were to buy that same car from some random guy, I could easily get it for about $9500... So why should I pay much more just cause Im getting it at a dealer?

The dealer may have the car in nicer shape than a private owner, and may offer a warranty, but at the same time Im going to have to pay all their stupid hidden fees and tax.. So its going to be about $1500 more anyway.

Maybe I'll just stay away from buying a car at a dealer... I hate their fee's and having to pay tax.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject:

I'm telling my friends to buy SUVs right now. People are hurting to sell them and are willing to take 1/2 of what is reasonable.
Heyvoon24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject:

chef wrote:
I'm telling my friends to buy SUVs right now. People are hurting to sell them and are willing to take 1/2 of what is reasonable.

people dont want to pay $900 a month for gas
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject:

chef wrote:

So you are expecting the price of gas to come down significantly in the relatively near future? I'm curious what makes you think that? I'd like to think that, but I haven't heard or read anything that has lead me to believe that prices are coming back down any time soon. I mean...you're right...SUV's are dirt cheap right now, but there is a reason for that.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
chef wrote:

So you are expecting the price of gas to come down significantly in the relatively near future? I'm curious what makes you think that? I'd like to think that, but I haven't heard or read anything that has lead me to believe that prices are coming back down any time soon. I mean...you're right...SUV's are dirt cheap right now, but there is a reason for that.

I think more people are in a PANIC mode and making irrational decisions based on media hype and short-term problems. I don't know what the price of gas is going to do....but if given the option of spending money on a better SUV being sold as a "firesale" versus paying a PREMIUM for a more "economical" car that looks lame, I take the SUV.

If I have 10 grand....do I buy a 98 Accord or a 2005 Expedition. Granted I don't know what they are going for now, but people are being completely sucked in by this "gas crisis".

Its quite easy to do. Go to a cookie cutter neighbor hood of McMansions out in say...Riverside or something. Find a bank foreclosed house or a for sale sign...look for an SUV in the driveway. The guy who owns the SUV is probably underwater on it. So say, I'll give you 10 grand cash for your car, right now. dude gets owned, you get a car.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Heyvoon24 wrote:
chef wrote:

people dont want to pay $900 a month for gas

Exactly. So people who don't drive a whole lot can get an SUV for PENNIES on the dollar. Obviously, if you live in BFE and commute 100 miles to work everyday, then don't do it.

BUT, if you have a reasonable 5 mile commute to work and back, who cares. Get a nicer car based on people struggling to get by. You're doing them a favor by taking their nice SUV they thought they could afford.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject:

2004 Expedition: $14,000 with 44k miles. FROM A DEALER.

You find a privte seller in a bad financial situation who can't afford gas, you can get that for under 10 grand IMO. People are desparate right now. Take advantage.

http://www.carsdirect.com/used_cars/vehicle_detail/ul83943516/FORD/EXPEDITION%20EDDIE%20BAUER
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject:

You know what chef, that's a really good point. If you don't drive much, definitely go pick up a used Escalade or an H2, or some other tank that is being sold at fire-sale prices. I will say that my grandmother basically missed the entier gas crisis in the 1970's because she didn't fill up her tank once during those years. I sold her car for her a few years ago by the way...a 1964 Impala with less than 60k original miles on it!!! I'm sure it's a low rider crusing around L.A. somewhere now.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject:

why dont you take that money and buy a hyundai or a kia

brand new car, great gas mileage and 100,000 mile warranty... that would be a smarter choice... buying used style right now when you dont have enough funds is just not thinking correctly
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:

brand new car, great gas mileage and 100,000 mile warranty... that would be a smarter choice... buying used style right now when you dont have enough funds is just not thinking correctly

In general, I agree with this sentiment. I'd rather have a new Kia or Hyundai with a 100k mile warranty than a Maxima with 70k miles. I would only buy used if the car is still within their initial factory warranty period.
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject:

chef wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:

In general, I agree with this sentiment. I'd rather have a new Kia or Hyundai with a 100k mile warranty than a Maxima with 70k miles. I would only buy used if the car is still within their initial factory warranty period.

who the heck wants to drive a kia or hyundai?!@?!?!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject:

you can get a kia rio brand new for about 11 grand great mileage AC power steering auto power everything and CD player with sirius sat.

or a sonata for 16, 505 out the door with alot of bells and whistles... hyundai accents are also a good buy as well.....

if you are still worried about staus and looks and want to go flashy when you dont have the money then try looking at a dealer that is selling a demo vehicles or rental car overstock.... they ususallly come with warranty after 1 year ownership and use.... i think enterprise has those deals
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject:

ArrOhBee wrote:
chef wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:

people who cant afford new expensive cars like the OP. and then they blow their hard earned cash on a poser vehicle with a 100,000 miles on it

Last edited by 999 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject:

ArrOhBee wrote:
chef wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:

I personally wouldn't really care. Newer car > used car with a lot of miles.

I would rather be in a less cool car than in a "cooler car" from 5 years ago and having to constantly go to my mechanic to get my timing belt fixed.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:
you can get a kia rio brand new for about 11 grand great mileage AC power steering auto power everything and CD player with sirius sat.

or a sonata for 16, 505 out the door with alot of bells and whistles... hyundai accents are also a good buy as well.....

if you are still worried about staus and looks and want to go flashy when you dont have the money then try looking at a dealer that is selling a demo vehicles or rental car overstock.... they ususallly come with warranty after 1 year ownership and use.... i think enterprise has those deals

do not buy a rental car. I thrash the HELL out of those things. Jump curbs, redline, burn out, etc.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject:

chef wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:

do not buy a rental car. I thrash the HELL out of those things. Jump curbs, redline, burn out, etc.

true.... but they still come with a warranty after 1 year ownsership under the rental company plus they have their 1000 point inspection
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject:

haha.....rental cars suck. I had one just totally drop part of the undercarriage when I drove it to vegas. We had to tie it up with string.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Look for "Fleet" cars. Probably better than rental cars. Can get a 2-3 year old car for about 5 grand.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: