Andrew Bynum : 290lbs with 9% body fat???? WOW!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Just a little Shaq comparison (I couldn't help myself)

According to Draft Express Shaq's pre-draft stats:
Height w/o shoes: 7'1"
Weight: 303
Wingspan: 7'7"
Body Fat: 12.2%
Standing Reach: 9'5"
Max Vertical: 36 Inches

Draft Express Shaq Pre-Draft

Man, you should have then followed it up with Drew's measurements.

You tease!
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
kentu_tiro wrote:
that's impossible. must be something from andrew's agent to use as leverage for his contract extension negotiation.

He was actually 9% body fat last season, as well - as was Dwight Howard, I might add.

It's not impossible (an odd thing to say, actually). Karl Malone was at 4% body fat. It's quite possible when you have the work ethic.

well karl malone was a block of muscle with elbows.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject:

10scott10 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
kentu_tiro wrote:
that's impossible. must be something from andrew's agent to use as leverage for his contract extension negotiation.

He was actually 9% body fat last season, as well - as was Dwight Howard, I might add.

It's not impossible (an odd thing to say, actually). Karl Malone was at 4% body fat. It's quite possible when you have the work ethic.

Or should we say he was elbows surrounded by a block of muscles?
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject:

LMAo at Karl Malone claiming to have only 4% body fat. Anorexics aren't that low and they are a bit more cut than Malone was.
zeroakuma
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject:

cool
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Lakers 71-72 wrote:
davidse wrote:
with the risk of sounding a little ......

i dont' think i've ever been this curious about seeing a picture of a guy in shorts and tanktop...

Does this mean you're a little 'By-' curious?

^ This deserves acknowledgement. Nicely done.

Thanks, CMB!!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

You tease!

IIRC Bynum has Shaq beat at age 20 in all those categories but the Weight department.

Shaq was also more explosive off the ground, and far more effective at using his body/strength. Those things won't come up on the stat sheet.

But athletically/physically Bynum was showing signs of being up there with the big boys like Dwight. I am surprised that Shaq had those measurements. Not that different from Bynum's. Shows he was far more than just a physical specimen. Going on those numbers, Shaq wasn't that much more a physical phenom than Bynum. The truth is that Shaq was also far more skilled and had been playing basketball at a highly competitive level, for much longer than Bynum has at the same age. Hence there is a big difference between the two at this point. Shaq IMO was a 25+/14/3 guy at 20. At least he had that ability. Bynum is closer to a 15-17/12/3 guy. Bynum still hasn't learned how to use his size to run over people and doesn't have the same effective low post moves. Shaq was flat out a dominant franchise player by 20. Bynum is dominant, but Bynum's ability to dominate (at least as of last year) was mostly off the ball and defensive stuff. His 1 on 1 game came along greatly, but it's still a work in progress.

I'll gladly take 15-20 ppg so long as it comes with the 10+ rpg and consistent effort on defense (two things Shaq was not consistent at).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject:

I saw Andrew at the Westchester driving range last week. I remember after talking to him thinking he didn't look to be the reported 285. If he does weigh 290 it's in his upper body. His calfs are thin. He had on knee length shorts so I can't account for his thigh size and I took no notice of his arms.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 71-72 wrote:
davidse wrote:
with the risk of sounding a little ......

i dont' think i've ever been this curious about seeing a picture of a guy in shorts and tanktop...

Does this mean you're a little 'By-' curious?

By-sexual
Inglewood_Laker Fan_310
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject:

"I'm the Ali of today. I'm the Marvin Gaye of today. I'm the Bob Marley of today. I'm the Martin Luther King, or all the other greats that have come before us. And a lot of people are starting to realize that now." - R. Kelly
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
10scott10 wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
kentu_tiro wrote:

Or should we say he was elbows surrounded by a block of muscles?

Only if you defended him.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

You tease!

IIRC Bynum has Shaq beat at age 20 in all those categories but the Weight department.

Shaq was also more explosive off the ground, and far more effective at using his body/strength. Those things won't come up on the stat sheet.

But athletically/physically Bynum was showing signs of being up there with the big boys like Dwight. I am surprised that Shaq had those measurements. Not that different from Bynum's. Shows he was far more than just a physical specimen. Going on those numbers, Shaq wasn't that much more a physical phenom than Bynum. The truth is that Shaq was also far more skilled and had been playing basketball at a highly competitive level, for much longer than Bynum has at the same age. Hence there is a big difference between the two at this point. Shaq IMO was a 25+/14/3 guy at 20. At least he had that ability. Bynum is closer to a 15-17/12/3 guy. Bynum still hasn't learned how to use his size to run over people and doesn't have the same effective low post moves. Shaq was flat out a dominant franchise player by 20. Bynum is dominant, but Bynum's ability to dominate (at least as of last year) was mostly off the ball and defensive stuff. His 1 on 1 game came along greatly, but it's still a work in progress.

I'll gladly take 15-20 ppg so long as it comes with the 10+ rpg and consistent effort on defense (two things Shaq was not consistent at).

When Shaq was younger the officials ruled most of his power moves as defensive fouls on the opponent, but around the time illegal defense was eliminated they began ruling them charges. IIRC
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
kentu_tiro wrote:

Just like to add, I'm 26 years old, 5'-10", 145 lbs and athletic, and in the last physical i had (4 months ago) they said my body fat was too low to calculate. They also said it was at the level professional body builders aim for.

Please do not worship me. For I am not a God. I am just a man.

Oh, and...

Do it Mitch!!!
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject:

PrplReign wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Shlumpledink wrote:
Was shaq ever 9% bodyfat?

9 percent body fat is about average for an NBA player, so I would guess he had 9% or lower body fat early in his career.

9% is average for an NBA player? Um, OK.

It is. Elite basketball players are between 7-11%. However, 9% is really good for big men. Antoine Walker was around 11% and James Posey was 9% when they were on the Heat.
onepinoyboy8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
kentu_tiro wrote:

Just like to add, I'm 26 years old, 5'-10", 145 lbs and athletic, and in the last physical i had (4 months ago) they said my body fat was too low to calculate. They also said it was at the level professional body builders aim for.

Oh, and...

Do it Mitch!!!

WOW you must be very skinny or really cut because im only 5'6 and i weigh 150 and im not even big...
Megatron24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:
PrplReign wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Shlumpledink wrote:

9 percent body fat is about average for an NBA player, so I would guess he had 9% or lower body fat early in his career.

It is. Elite basketball players are between 7-11%. However, 9% is really good for big men. Antoine Walker was around 11% and James Posey was 9% when they were on the Heat.

Do you have any sources for these claims or are u just guessing?
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Megatron24 wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:
PrplReign wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Shlumpledink wrote:

Oh, sorry I just searched on Google and found this article:

Quote:
The 6-8, 217-pound Posey said his body fat was measured at 9 percent. Walker, at 6-9 and 245 pounds, said he's at 11 percent. That's 1 percent above the marks Riley established for them but still within the healthy range for an NBA player. And well below that of the average male.

Body fat of 7 percent to 11 percent is considered healthy for elite basketball players

Link

Also just looking on Google, I saw that the Rockets want Yao at 310 lbs and 10% body fat for training camp. So that's just something to compare Bynum to.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject:

onepinoyboy8 wrote:
Legacy wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
kentu_tiro wrote:

Oh, and...

Do it Mitch!!!

WOW you must be very skinny or really cut because im only 5'6 and i weigh 150 and im not even big...

Thank you, thank you.

j/k btw.

When I was a kid I was skinny. When I hit my teens I played alot of sports (basketball, soccer, football, baseball and surfing if you wanna count that) and did alot of weight training.

As a disclaimer, if I never took up sports and lifted weights, I would be a skinny twirp right now. So the body fat is about as much hard work as it is genetics.
ERod86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject:

It seems a little heavy for that knee...I have a lot of hopes for him protecting that paint and dunking tosses from, well, everyone on the floor. 9% is great for a guy who just got cleared to go all out.

As to the post that mentioned Bynum's prime...? 26 to 32 is a long time from now.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject:

I wonder percentage of his weight gain came from him getting a stronger base. I remember last year he couldn't establish position and keep it. Players would push him off the block more often than not. Ths year before his injury he was much improved.

If this kid gets a stronger base - and I am thinking he did - look out.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Megatron24 wrote:

Do you have any sources for these claims or are u just guessing?[/quote]

I recall a section in my exercise physiology textbook listing the bodyfat measurements of a variety of elite athletes (track&field, swimmers, combat athletes, basketball players, football players, etc.). Outside of certain positions in football, and powerlifters in the heavier weightclasses, nearly all elite male athletes are under 10% bodyfat, generally between 7-10%. NFL running backs, sprinters, swimmers, collegiate wrestlers, gymnasts. Those are the means--you obviously get higher and lower, but on average, elite athletes in all sports are very lean, but not pre-contest bodybuilder lean (which is getting down into that 4-5% crazy zone).

It makes sense--you need to have the most muscle mass/total body mass in a given sport to excel. So you're going to tend to find elite athletes being in single digit bodyfat levels. However, they're going to stop shy of bodybuilder leaness since that requires drugs and crazy diets and crazy control of diet to achieve (and cannot be maintained for long periods of time). But 7-10% sounds like a totally reasonable range for most pro basketball players.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject:

^^^ Body builders go down to like 3% for competitions, which they can't maintain for very long.

But anywhere above 4% is maintainable depending on your body type (Karl Malone was 4.5%-5% for most of his career)
Megatron24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:
Megatron24 wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:
PrplReign wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Shlumpledink wrote:

Oh, sorry I just searched on Google and found this article:

Quote:
The 6-8, 217-pound Posey said his body fat was measured at 9 percent. Walker, at 6-9 and 245 pounds, said he's at 11 percent. That's 1 percent above the marks Riley established for them but still within the healthy range for an NBA player. And well below that of the average male.

Body fat of 7 percent to 11 percent is considered healthy for elite basketball players

Link

Also just looking on Google, I saw that the Rockets want Yao at 310 lbs and 10% body fat for training camp. So that's just something to compare Bynum to.

Thanks for the link. I do believe that most player are around that range but I think that centers are probably a little more than that due to their size.

Honestly I think both Posey and Walker were lying about their BF % that season because they were visibly out of shape they looked chubby.
21_Blessings
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject:

PrplReign wrote:
LMAo at Karl Malone claiming to have only 4% body fat. Anorexics aren't that low and they are a bit more cut than Malone was.

No, it's pretty likely Malone was around 4%. He had a bodybuilder's physique.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject:

I am a fitness freak....Hence the name freak of nature... I weigh 235 pounds and stand 6-3 in height. Sculpting my body is a way of life for me. I keep my body fat at a "everyday life comfort zone of 5%....

Bynum at 9% body fat is a guy that can show the very beginnings of some ab's popping through as long as he has given his abs some work growth wise. 9% for him is impressive.

Basically if Bynum were 5 inchs taller like Yao he would weigh about 330. 8 pounds per inch is a safe estimate.....If Yao is in fact 10% body fat this would suggest Bynum has about 20 to 25 more pounds of muscle than Yao. But you always have to consider bone density too.....

I am not so sure of this,as Yao has tree trunks for legs. But.....Bynum may have grown more since we last saw him too?

He should lift heavy these next couple months,pack on a nice 10 pounds of lean muscle weight,lose another 10 pounds while doing so,get his body fat down to 7%.

Practice that sky hook and the other half of the time imitate the "old Shaq" and rip down the rims....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: