How do you guys view homeless people?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers For Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: How do you guys view homeless people?

My first impression is compassion, wanting to help them out. I ask this because I was talking to a homeless guy today for about 20 minutes. We were standing outside and he tells me he's smelling food, where could it be coming from. I'm like, I don't know but there's a deli about 4 blocks from here (there's really no restaurant around where I'm at) and he tells me, I'm not gonna walk that far just to check the trash for food. So I asked him if he needed money for food and he said that would be nice so I gave him $30 bucks. He was thankful but then he started talking to me more. This guy is a white male, 41 years old, not handicapped in anyway. I thought he looked bad enough, had no food, no place to live and thought he was going thru a bad time. I didn't mind helping him out except that in his conversation he tells me that he ain't looking for work, that he's retired! I felt like a total a$$ giving him those $30 bucks. And so many times I heard about these guys not wanting to work, they just don't want to work and they deserve to be in the condition they're in. It just made me a lot less sympathetic. Some of these guys are super lazy. What has been your expirience if any?
Inglewood_Laker Fan_310
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject:

yeah they are lazy
i offered a hobo 10 dollars
and he said you got more i want to buy a beer from my friend
and i was like **** YOU!!!!!!
they both got up
like they were going to do something
then my friend came
and they went away

now i try to help them but when they say that stuff
it pisses me off
"I'm the Ali of today. I'm the Marvin Gaye of today. I'm the Bob Marley of today. I'm the Martin Luther King, or all the other greats that have come before us. And a lot of people are starting to realize that now." - R. Kelly
skin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject:

i feel bad for homeless people outside of the US in countries like china. it's actually impossible for them to get jobs, no matter how hard they try. in america we're living the dream
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Give them a hand up, not a hand out.

VIDEO
skin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject:

oh and also i remember seeing a woman when i was walking to staples center and she had no forearms. that is a woman that deserves our money.
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject:

skin wrote:
oh and also i remember seeing a woman when i was walking to staples center and she had no forearms. that is a woman that deserves our money.

They don't deserve money, they deserve an opportunity.
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
jabberjaw
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject:

as people. however, they're banned in my city. if a cop spots one, they're ordered to drop them off at the border of santa ana. ; ;

also, i once gave them a couple bucks when exiting KFC.
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject:

I don't give them money because 98% of the time they use it to buy beer or drugs.

Although I did give one homeless guy about 5 bucks a few weeks ago. he had a sign that said,"I need money for beer." He was being honest and not giving me the "I need money for food" story.

Last edited by Ares24 on Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
skin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject:

i saw a guy that had a sign that said "please give me money. i need pot."
vandido626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject:

pretty dirty mostly
onepinoyboy8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject:

you can't judge all the homeless people use their money on drugs and beer, some of them may have had a personal or finacial problems that led them to being homeless....
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject:

they are all crackheads
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Like this

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Lakers For Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject:

twoface723 wrote:
Like this

"insider trading?" LMFAO!

Last edited by Lakers For Life on Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject:

I dont help... Some get on my nerves. Some are just lazy. Some do need help BUT

Growing up in the inner city makes you immune.
Inglewood_Laker Fan_310
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Lakers For Life wrote:
twoface723 wrote:
Like this

"insider trade?" LMFAO!

"I'm the Ali of today. I'm the Marvin Gaye of today. I'm the Bob Marley of today. I'm the Martin Luther King, or all the other greats that have come before us. And a lot of people are starting to realize that now." - R. Kelly
The_Lakers_Show
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject:

A homeless guy once asked my buddies dad if he could help him out so he walked into the closest store and brought him back an application for a job. lol
Go Trojans

Buck Foston
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject:

The_Lakers_Show wrote:
A homeless guy once asked my buddies dad if he could help him out so he walked into the closest store and brought him back an application for a job. lol

brutella
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
The_Lakers_Show wrote:

I agree with most about homeless people but its kind of hard landing a job if you obviously look like a bum and don't have an actual home.

What I do think some should do is, if they are physically capable of course, is join the people standing on the corners of Home Depot, at least you can make 20 bucks here n there.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject:

When I was young, if I saw someone, anyone, in a less fortunate position than myself, I was taught to think "There, but for the grace of God, goes I."

Over the years, I've also learned that there are many people whose heads and lives are so messed up that, although they need help, they are beyond my capabilities of helping.

And if I tried to help them out, I would just end up hurting both of us.

A donation to an organization that is trained to help these people is far better than a handout, which only encourages people to continue to be dependant on others.

Know where organizations are in your city that help the homeless and help people with addictions, and when you run into someone in with either or both of those problems, let them know where those places are.
KBryantisclutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject:

It depends on the individual. I don't normally engage in any discussion with them. I'll give them up to about 45 cents per and that's it. That's all they need.
JIFISH wrote:
When I was young, if I saw someone, anyone, in a less fortunate position than myself, I was taught to think "There, but for the grace of God, goes I."

Over the years, I've also learned that there are many people whose heads and lives are so messed up that, although they need help, they are beyond my capabilities of helping.

A donation to an organization that is trained to help these people is far better than a handout, which only encourages people to continue to be dependant on others.

Know where organizations are in your city that help the homeless and help people with addictions, and when you run into someone in with either or both of those problems, let them know where those places are.

That's wonder-full. Talk about doing things the right way. There are facilities that deal with this particular matter.
skin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject:

KBryantisclutch wrote:
It depends on the individual. I don't normally engage in any discussion with them. I'll give them up to about 45 cents per and that's it. That's all they need.
JIFISH wrote:

That's wonder-full. Talk about doing things the right way. There are facilities that deal with this particular matter.
lol 45 c do u always have 9 nickels in ur pocket or something? why not an even number like 50 cents
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject:

I was once so depressed before I almost wanted to join them.. even though I am really strong.. fairly intelligent and handsome.. I hated my life and didn't like living... "I" almost gave up

Depression can really really bring some human beings down to that level.. especially those who were abused by Parents or people they were supposed to entrust their lives and safety to.. life is really difficult when those things happen

I try not to judge them too harshly...
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject:

twoface723 wrote:
Like this

One of my all time favorite scenes in any movie.

As for real homeless people - it depends. There are homeless people who are homeless because of situations they were put in beyond their control. Mental disorder, genetic disorder, deadbeat husband/family, etc. These aren't the ones you see on the freeway ramps cardboarding for some spare change, though. Those are the real failures--the drunks, the addicts, the ones who'll take your nickels and save up to buy cans of Krylon.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject:

I try not to view them.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: