The 07 Plan

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you hate the 07 plan
Yes I hate it
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
No I like it
58%
 58%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 24

The Mike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: The 07 Plan

I was wondering if anyone besides me hates the 07 plan. I personally look at it as stupid.

If you go after a guy like James he will be a restricted free agent, meaning that most likely we would end up working out a sign and trade with Clevland, so that they don't match the offer to keep him.

If you go after a regular free agent like Amare who can get more money from the Suns that us. Most likley he will want a max deal at the greatest ammount of money he can get. Which means if he wanted to come here, more than likley we would have to do a sign and trade. So he could get max money and years.

But those are just my thoughts.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject:

you dont even know the 07 plan so how can you hate it?
The Mike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject:

I hate the idea of not taking on any contracts longer than two years to create cap space/roster space for the free agent group of '07.

That is what I consider the 07 plan.
Ko8e8ryant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:
The Mike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Do I know exactly which players they are going to go after? ....no. But the concept doesn't change.

The 07 plan

-to create as much salary cap space as possible for the free agent class of of 07.

If that is not what they are doing then why only 2 year contracts?
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject:

I don't see what reason there is to hate it, yet. The players the Lakers are missing out on are solid but not franchise players (Daniels, Watson), and the free agents have all been overpaid. It's very difficult to have to rely completely on trades to build a championship team; ask Knicks fans. Cap space opens up more possibilities. Kupchak has been doing just fine in my opinion, and I find it encouraging that he actually has a plan. Remember all the references of this franchise being a "rudderless ship"? I found that much more disheartening than the idea of struggling in the short term for the chance of being a contender in the long run. I like the '07 plan.
The Fish!
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject:

I hate it.

Bring back The Fish!
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject:

I know what it is... and yes I like it. Especially if Kwame reaches his potential.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject:

The Mike wrote:
Do I know exactly which players they are going to go after? ....no. But the concept doesn't change.

The 07 plan

-to create as much salary cap space as possible for the free agent class of of 07.

OK, and tell me the problem with the plan on clearing cap space to get good players or a player? You have no idea how it will turn out yet.
The Mike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject:

I actually have no problem with Kupchak, and I am happy that the Lakers at least have a direction, the last thing any of us want is a "rudderless Ship". That being said I still hate the plan. I'm not saying we should be like the Knicks and take on a bunch of bloated contracts, but limiting ourselves they way we have.... I don't see as the best course of action. This is not to say that the 07 plan can't or won't work. It is simple to say that I would rather us keep all opitions open to making ourselves better than banking on a free agent class that is 2 seasons away.
kemi4kobes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:

my thoughts exactly. you might want to put that as a third option.
"I wish I could draw a picture of the look on their faces..... For a time, it was like he was on the court by himself. It's like God put Kobe here for us to watch him play basketball." - LO On KB8's Performance Against the Clips 07/01/06
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject:

It could be good for the Lakers, but I think it is bad for Kobe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
jmac78
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
I know what it is... and yes I like it. Especially if Kwame reaches his potential.

Hey JD, did you just "paint yourself into a corner?"

You probably won't share what it is, hey?

Last edited by jmac78 on Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
vicman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject:

i am just really wonering if the 07 plan is legal. i mean if you think about not many huge free agents have really switched teams without a trade taking place. with that in mind you would have to think that the plan involves a promise or as though talks already took place. now is that tampering or not. I dond't knwo the plan but i would have to say that if it is that clear cut than i am worried we don't get caught. I would assume the plan would have to be centered around a gaurd typ player though not a big man because a big man would mean that that the lakers have a plan of failure of their own big men and i am not ok with that. i mean you do have to have a contingency plan but i would not want to plan for failure.
The Mike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject:

tgf5 wrote:
The Mike wrote:

The 07 plan

OK, and tell me the problem with the plan on clearing cap space to get good players or a player? You have no idea how it will turn out yet.

There is no problem is clearing cap space to get some good players, but to me it seems like the Franchise has decided, or at least comes across to me like they have pretty much decided to pack it in for the next two season.

Almost like --- we will throw some players out there, and hopefully we will be competitve and make the playoffs.

Maybe I'm just spoiled as a Laker fan as it always seemed to be that we have always tired to put a team on the floor we felt could contend for a title. And now it seems like we saying........ in 07 we will try and put a team out there to contend for a title.
jmac78
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject:

If it is LeBron (not saying it is, but what if), do you really think Kobe's gonna be ready to play 2nd fiddle or vice versa? Kobe will be Pippen to LeBron's MJ? Can they really co-exist?
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject:

A) the 07 Cap Space/Road to Championship Plan

B) Knicks/ Max Out MLE in years and dollars every year to mediocre players like Anonio Daniels;trade mediocre veteran talent for medicore young talent and resign for the max;wallow in mediocrity because once you get to to playoffs "anything can happen" plan.
vicman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:

well this def means it is not chandler or boozer it must mean rose, curry i am guessing curry but if the plan is still on then there is no way it is a player with a longer contract
Shalashaska
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject:

nope, dont like the plan
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject:

The Mike wrote:
I actually have no problem with Kupchak, and I am happy that the Lakers at least have a direction, the last thing any of us want is a "rudderless Ship". That being said I still hate the plan. I'm not saying we should be like the Knicks and take on a bunch of bloated contracts, but limiting ourselves they way we have.... I don't see as the best course of action. This is not to say that the 07 plan can't or won't work. It is simple to say that I would rather us keep all opitions open to making ourselves better than banking on a free agent class that is 2 seasons away.

The plan is barely a limitation. Who have we missed out on because of the 2007 plan? Daniels? Watson? Those kinds of players can be acquired at any time. They're solid role players, nothing more. On the other hand, having cap space allows you to bring in players that are more than just role players. You can bring in 1 or 2 pieces that will make you a contender if you have the cap space. Being over the cap is the REAL limitation, not this plan. This plan opens up opportunities. I don't see it as a limitation at all. If we miss out on acquiring an all-star because of this plan, then yeah you can call it a limitation. But it is public knowledge that Kupchak will abandon the plan if an impact player becomes available. I don't see what the problem is. Just sounds like some people are impatient.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: