Your Top 10 favorite Jazz Musicians
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff


Joined: 11 Aug 2002
Posts: 10084

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject:

Trip_aka_Ace wrote:
im just a fan of the stride pianist


Me too. Also Fats Waller, whose personality and singing often overshadowed the fact that he was one of the best stride players.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 6429

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Bballguru5000 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
(Rubs eyes...focuses...rubs eyes again...then reads following comment):

Quote:
They weren't the best at their respective instruments.


(Rubs eyes again...Gets some Visine...Applies the Visine...then re-reads that comment...Then turns off computer )



If you think Coltrane and Miles were the greatest at their respective instruments then your knowledge of jazz music is not that great, so we can't really debate this any further. You're simply going by recognizable names and whom every Jane thinks is the best.


This kid's hilarious. I love how he thinks his opinion is the end-all of opinions and that no one else can even chime in on, and yet it's MERELY his own "PERSONAL CHOICES" of what HE digs .

Yeah, hit me up when you can seriously breakdown "Coltrane's Sound" or "B|tches Brew," playa. Hell, you can even start with "Blue Train".



Lux, you my boy and all, but honestly, you can't even mention Miles in the same sentence as Clifford Brown. Miles was an all time great and all, but Brownie was simply, and far and away, the best who ever lived. I mean, if you simply break down the elements of Jazz trumpet playing, Brownie was simply as good as or better, in every facet, than anyone who ever played the instrument.


I'm not saying Clifford was as important in the overall scheme of Jazz, obviously. Miles lived to 70 and was at the forefront of several movements while Clifford died at 25.

But as a trumpet player only, Miles wasn't in the same class as Clifford, not even debatable.


Whew-Wee! That's a BIG claim, bruh! . I don't know about that. I've heard some of CB, and he's got some nice compositions - easily, but I wouldn't say it's not debateable between he and Miles.



So Lux my man, you've had that CB CD I sent you for a couple of weeks. You still feeling that Miles was a better player than Brownie?
_________________
“It took many years of vomiting up all the filth I’d been taught about myself, and half-believed, before I was able to walk on the earth as though I had a right to be here.”
― James Baldwin, Collected Essays
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 17429
Location: Mackadocious, Ca.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Bballguru5000 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
(Rubs eyes...focuses...rubs eyes again...then reads following comment):

Quote:
They weren't the best at their respective instruments.


(Rubs eyes again...Gets some Visine...Applies the Visine...then re-reads that comment...Then turns off computer )



If you think Coltrane and Miles were the greatest at their respective instruments then your knowledge of jazz music is not that great, so we can't really debate this any further. You're simply going by recognizable names and whom every Jane thinks is the best.


This kid's hilarious. I love how he thinks his opinion is the end-all of opinions and that no one else can even chime in on, and yet it's MERELY his own "PERSONAL CHOICES" of what HE digs .

Yeah, hit me up when you can seriously breakdown "Coltrane's Sound" or "B|tches Brew," playa. Hell, you can even start with "Blue Train".



Lux, you my boy and all, but honestly, you can't even mention Miles in the same sentence as Clifford Brown. Miles was an all time great and all, but Brownie was simply, and far and away, the best who ever lived. I mean, if you simply break down the elements of Jazz trumpet playing, Brownie was simply as good as or better, in every facet, than anyone who ever played the instrument.


I'm not saying Clifford was as important in the overall scheme of Jazz, obviously. Miles lived to 70 and was at the forefront of several movements while Clifford died at 25.

But as a trumpet player only, Miles wasn't in the same class as Clifford, not even debatable.


Whew-Wee! That's a BIG claim, bruh! . I don't know about that. I've heard some of CB, and he's got some nice compositions - easily, but I wouldn't say it's not debateable between he and Miles.



So Lux my man, you've had that CB CD I sent you for a couple of weeks. You still feeling that Miles was a better player than Brownie?


I'm still workin' my way through the discs, but so far, it's damn close!
_________________
Quote:
Smooth, but I move like an army / Bulletproof down in case brothas try to bomb me / Puttin' brothas to rest like Elliot Ness / Cuz I don't like stress
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 6429

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Bballguru5000 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
(Rubs eyes...focuses...rubs eyes again...then reads following comment):

Quote:
They weren't the best at their respective instruments.


(Rubs eyes again...Gets some Visine...Applies the Visine...then re-reads that comment...Then turns off computer )



If you think Coltrane and Miles were the greatest at their respective instruments then your knowledge of jazz music is not that great, so we can't really debate this any further. You're simply going by recognizable names and whom every Jane thinks is the best.


This kid's hilarious. I love how he thinks his opinion is the end-all of opinions and that no one else can even chime in on, and yet it's MERELY his own "PERSONAL CHOICES" of what HE digs .

Yeah, hit me up when you can seriously breakdown "Coltrane's Sound" or "B|tches Brew," playa. Hell, you can even start with "Blue Train".



Lux, you my boy and all, but honestly, you can't even mention Miles in the same sentence as Clifford Brown. Miles was an all time great and all, but Brownie was simply, and far and away, the best who ever lived. I mean, if you simply break down the elements of Jazz trumpet playing, Brownie was simply as good as or better, in every facet, than anyone who ever played the instrument.


I'm not saying Clifford was as important in the overall scheme of Jazz, obviously. Miles lived to 70 and was at the forefront of several movements while Clifford died at 25.

But as a trumpet player only, Miles wasn't in the same class as Clifford, not even debatable.


Whew-Wee! That's a BIG claim, bruh! . I don't know about that. I've heard some of CB, and he's got some nice compositions - easily, but I wouldn't say it's not debateable between he and Miles.



So Lux my man, you've had that CB CD I sent you for a couple of weeks. You still feeling that Miles was a better player than Brownie?


I'm still workin' my way through the discs, but so far, it's damn close!


That's a start. It's hard to give it up on what you've always believed. Like I told you before, it isn't close and by the time you get through the CB disc a second time, by the time "Donna Lee" plays for the second time, by the time you hear the greatest trumpet solo ever played when Clifford does "Night in Tunisia," you'll come around, trust me. I suspect you'll also rank Lee Morgan above Miles as well. Keep me posted.
_________________
“It took many years of vomiting up all the filth I’d been taught about myself, and half-believed, before I was able to walk on the earth as though I had a right to be here.”
― James Baldwin, Collected Essays
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 17429
Location: Mackadocious, Ca.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Bballguru5000 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
(Rubs eyes...focuses...rubs eyes again...then reads following comment):

Quote:
They weren't the best at their respective instruments.


(Rubs eyes again...Gets some Visine...Applies the Visine...then re-reads that comment...Then turns off computer )



If you think Coltrane and Miles were the greatest at their respective instruments then your knowledge of jazz music is not that great, so we can't really debate this any further. You're simply going by recognizable names and whom every Jane thinks is the best.


This kid's hilarious. I love how he thinks his opinion is the end-all of opinions and that no one else can even chime in on, and yet it's MERELY his own "PERSONAL CHOICES" of what HE digs .

Yeah, hit me up when you can seriously breakdown "Coltrane's Sound" or "B|tches Brew," playa. Hell, you can even start with "Blue Train".



Lux, you my boy and all, but honestly, you can't even mention Miles in the same sentence as Clifford Brown. Miles was an all time great and all, but Brownie was simply, and far and away, the best who ever lived. I mean, if you simply break down the elements of Jazz trumpet playing, Brownie was simply as good as or better, in every facet, than anyone who ever played the instrument.


I'm not saying Clifford was as important in the overall scheme of Jazz, obviously. Miles lived to 70 and was at the forefront of several movements while Clifford died at 25.

But as a trumpet player only, Miles wasn't in the same class as Clifford, not even debatable.


Whew-Wee! That's a BIG claim, bruh! . I don't know about that. I've heard some of CB, and he's got some nice compositions - easily, but I wouldn't say it's not debateable between he and Miles.



So Lux my man, you've had that CB CD I sent you for a couple of weeks. You still feeling that Miles was a better player than Brownie?


I'm still workin' my way through the discs, but so far, it's damn close!


That's a start. It's hard to give it up on what you've always believed. Like I told you before, it isn't close and by the time you get through the CB disc a second time, by the time "Donna Lee" plays for the second time, by the time you hear the greatest trumpet solo ever played when Clifford does "Night in Tunisia," you'll come around, trust me. I suspect you'll also rank Lee Morgan above Miles as well. Keep me posted.


Night in Tunisia is what I really wanna hear, so I'll bust that this evening.
_________________
Quote:
Smooth, but I move like an army / Bulletproof down in case brothas try to bomb me / Puttin' brothas to rest like Elliot Ness / Cuz I don't like stress
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Sky
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Apr 2001
Posts: 9830
Location: Up

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Old school - Bud Powell, Coltrane, Coleman Hawkins, Ellington, Basie.

Current - Philippe Saisse, Down To The Bone.

Rippingtons are great live but they lose energy in the studio.

True fave though is R&B - EWF is my band, then Stevie and the Temps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
richsmith
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Posts: 1032

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject:

Monk, Monk, and more Monk.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
unleasHell
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 9175
Location: Stay Thirsty my Friends

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Wes Montgomery
Al Di Meola
(Early) George Benson
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Return to Forever
Stanley Clarke
Jeff Beck (Jazz stuff)
Stomu Yamashta
Terje Rypdal
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB