Bynum Declares His Knee 100%
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MedRomLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the update Eric its great hearing the good news about the big fella , BAM BAM FTW man i'm so psyched about this coming season

Also thank you uber for finally getting that troll out of here, this is my head after reading 255's posts ->

4/30/14 the day the ant left the building!!!!!!
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
king255 is taking a little break from LG.

Let's try to move on.

Thank you Jesus! . . . uh, I mean uberzev.
ERod86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject:

king255 wrote:
Well, when the data is in my favor, then I have reasons to be skeptical. Are there different degrees of arthroscopic surgery where the recovery time(to 100%) could be 4 months or less? Possibly. However, I haven't seen such a case yet(and this is a very common surgery), therefore I have to assume that Bynum's recovery will take longer, especially when there's evidence that he's a slow healer.

This happens all the time. Guys get arthoscopic surgery and are back on the court/field in 6 weeks. Every year someone in the NBA and MBL are playing two months after certain types of arthroscopic surgery. It all depends on what the are doing once they get in. Arthroscopic surgery just describes the methods they use, not what they are fixing.

So, yes there are different types and yes guys come back sooner than 4 months.
Heyvoon24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Press conference vid on lakers.com

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/bynum_media_080905.html
jabberjaw
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:

Let's try to move on.

bout time. win.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Bynum had some loose fragments in his knee that stopped him from completely healing - they waited until the last option to do surgery - which Bynum emphasized today - you never want to get cut if you can avoid it - he never would have healed without cleaning the knee

it's now clean - he noticed the difference immediately - so much so that it actually felt better immediately after the surgery - despite the fact that a doctor just dug into his knee, etc

bynum says there are no lingering effects - he feels great - stronger than he did at this point last year

I can't figure how you came up with what you did - maybe my breakdown was unclear.

Your breakdown was crystal clear to me. I think king mis-read it because he couldn't believe he could be ready to workout that soon after surgery.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Heyvoon24 wrote:

Drew finally looks like a man... no more babyface for that kid. You don't really get that "man" muscle until your body stops growing, he's going to get even stronger.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject:

MedRomLaker wrote:
Thanks for the update Eric its great hearing the good news about the big fella , BAM BAM FTW man i'm so psyched about this coming season

Also thank you uber for finally getting that troll out of here, this is my head after reading 255's posts ->
apparently.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject:

The lakers are going to see what they want to see, be impressed, talk some turkey, then write a big check......

Moving on........

uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Heyvoon24 wrote:

ugnhyme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject:

king255- Contrary to popular belief, I actually think you make some valid points in your argument. Maybe Bynum should take further precaution in rehabilitating his knee, but I don't think you have enough objective/factual evidence to discern a speedy 4 month recovery. Bynum has clearly stated that everything is 100% and there are various factual reports of him moving with free range of motion. Although this information is subjective , it is first hand and it gives me a lot more information into his unique condition rather than, oh lets say... a comparison to JO, Darius or J-Rich. Also, you use the word "arthoscopic" so freely You never mention how invasive or to what extent the surgery went about. From my expirience, the type surgery he underwent usually has a window of 5-10 weeks of recovery. At his age along with a proper recovery plan I would be very surprised if took over 4 months to completely heal. I can go on and on about what psychological hurdles most players need to go through to understand that they are fine, but Andrew seems to be dealing with it just fine. Anyway, that's my two cents.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject:

lol people are STILL taking king serious
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject:

BYNUM HAS BIONIC KNEES!!!
Lifeform
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject:

The idiotic thing is, it doesn't appear that king bothered to ever click the link and read emplay's whole story, wherein Bynum clearly says that he is pain free. Doing something as simple as that could have saved everyone from wasting all this time reading his uninformed responses, and spared everyone's futile attempts to try to set him straight. Ugh.

Anyways, awesome news about Bynum! I first heard about it when Bynum spoke with the Loose Cannons this afternoon. WOOT!
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:

Let's try to move on.

Thank you! I was hoping I would read that statement the further I went into the thread.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Lifeform wrote:
The idiotic thing is, it doesn't appear that king bothered to ever click the link and read emplay's whole story

He doesn't care what the actual article said. He cares about his agenda and will intentionally ignore logical facts that don't support his tilt on matters. In other words, he's nothing but a troll and apparently a very well fed one around here.

Thanks for the article, Eric. Watching the press conference makes me feel good about Andrew's progress so far. But, I'll feel that much better when I see him out there in game situations beasting on opponents like he was last season. Until then, I'll keep my optimism in check and hope for Bynum's continued improvement.

Btw, I love how Andrew talks about wanting to be able to help his team with their DEFENSE. Great attitude. The young man gets it. The upcoming season may be something special for us Lakers fans.
alwayslakers08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject:

king255 wrote:
He could bend the knee "more?" So that means he can't really bend it 100%, and with less pain "immediately after surgery," I don't find that surprising. No swelling is not the same as no pain.

Seems to me he's still not 100%. To me, he should do nothing but rest for now. Otherwise, he's going to have to start compensating in the regular season and that can lead to even more complications. In fact, it'll lead to another arthroscopic surgery, in which case, he'll have to start all over again(actually, you lose a little bit of cartilage each time, and as we saw with Kobe, one is okay, but two, and you start to lose your athleticism.)

I guess the reality is setting in. You can't heal from arthroscopic surgery that fast. Even Kobe had to take more than half a year to recover. Bynum is a much slower healer. It'd probably take him till January doing NOTHING to recover completely.
wth....

GO LAKERS
alwayslakers08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:

Let's try to move on.
thank u soooo much! lol

GO LAKERS
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject:

king255 wrote:
He could bend the knee "more?" So that means he can't really bend it 100%, and with less pain "immediately after surgery," I don't find that surprising. No swelling is not the same as no pain.

Seems to me he's still not 100%. To me, he should do nothing but rest for now. Otherwise, he's going to have to start compensating in the regular season and that can lead to even more complications. In fact, it'll lead to another arthroscopic surgery, in which case, he'll have to start all over again(actually, you lose a little bit of cartilage each time, and as we saw with Kobe, one is okay, but two, and you start to lose your athleticism.)

I guess the reality is setting in. You can't heal from arthroscopic surgery that fast. Even Kobe had to take more than half a year to recover. Bynum is a much slower healer. It'd probably take him till January doing NOTHING to recover completely.

I think the Lakers should rest Bynum for the rest of his career so that once he retires he can make a successful comeback completely healthy!
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
let's put it this way

Andrew Bynum, Los Angeles Lakers center, when asked how his knee was at today's press conference answered, "It's 100%"

and move on

Does that mean it is 100% better than it was when it was only 38% therefore he is only at 76%???
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject:

king255 wrote:
Well, when the data is in my favor, then I have reasons to be skeptical. Are there different degrees of arthroscopic surgery where the recovery time(to 100%) could be 4 months or less? Possibly. However, I haven't seen such a case yet(and this is a very common surgery), therefore I have to assume that Bynum's recovery will take longer, especially when there's evidence that he's a slow healer.

I just got off the phone with Chris Mihm and he fully agrees with your hypothesis.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject:

king255 wrote:

Go ahead, show me who's recovered from arthroscopic surgery "100%" in just 4 months. I'm using data, whereas all you can do is make irrelevant comments. Right now, all we have is Bynum's words, and obviously, there are reasons to question it.

You want to make this easy for me don't you?

Quote:
Amare Stoudemire (has) Surgery on Knee (again)
Updated 10/4/07

The panic button was pushed by Suns fans around the country yesterday when they heard that Amaré Stoudemire was going in for knee surgery today. But everyone can take a collective deep breath because STAT is doing just fine.

The All-NBA performer underwent successful arthroscopic surgery on his right knee this morning, removing a small loose body that had broken off from his joint. The cause of the floating debris was attributed to the normal wear and tear of playing competitive basketball.

“It was a routine procedure," General Manager Steve Kerr said. "Everything that the doctor expected to see is exactly what he saw. Amaré is coming down Thursday and starting rehab immediately. We expect to see him back on the court in two and a half to three weeks. There is no reason for concern.” More from Suns.com

So 10/7/07 Amare goes under the knife....
Quote:

Nov 01@ OKC W 106 - 99 32 10 - 20 0 - 1 3 - 4 4 7 11 1 1 1 3 4 23
Date Opponent Result MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-AOFFDEF REBASTSTL BLK TO PF PTS
Oct 26 @ OKC PRE L 108 - 121 25 8 - 9 1 - 1 6 - 9 3 8 11 0 1 2 4 2 23
Oct 25 vs. DEN PRE W 116 - 113 18 4 - 5 0 - 0 2 - 2 0 6 6 2 0 0 3 3 10

Ok, I can't be bothered with the formatting. But you can see that by Nov. 1st, the start of the regular season, about 3 weeks after surgery, Amare dropped 23 and 11. Did the same a week before in pre-season, 2 weeks off surgery. By Dec 4th, nearly 8 weeks removed, he was dropping 42, 14, 4 assists and a block. Recovered. Completely. Mostly in 3 weeks, but certainly in 8.

If you want to get cute again, I can show you John Stocktons's numbers like 4 months after microfracture surgery. But you'd look kind of silly when a 38 year old is dropping 20 dimes in a game a few months after microfracture. We don't want to go there. We want you to go to medical school and get a clue before you start making crap up. Then you would learn, gee, different injuries heal differently, different people heal differently, different operations performed by different surgeons have different healing times. And you don't know about any of them. So....yeah, how you like them facts?
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject:

If I was shooting for the MAX extension, I would declare, as well as my agent, that the knee is 100%.

Does anybody not see this angle? Bynum may very well be 100%, but the reality is that even if he was 90%, he would say 100%.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject:

One guy who should be happy is Pau Gasol. AB can do the pounding inside. Pau Gasol can take advantage of PFs outside. It can extend Pau's career not to have to play the other team's center all the time.
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject:

Great news. Hope our team stays pretty healthy this season and the upcoming ones
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: