Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 430, 431, 432 ... 497, 498, 499  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject:

I can't see Conner being allowed back in the UFC and perhaps not even allowed in the USA...
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject:

I really do love me some Rose Namajunas. What a cool person and just growing all around tactician.

I had a feeling watching the Embedded series leading in that Joanna was really trying to convince herself that the weight cut was the only thing responsible for the last loss. Turns out, it was only responsible for the KO. She pretty much got schooled for all but 1 1/2 rounds last night. And at her game, no less. Kind of sad to see the former champion begging for applause to follow each round and after the fight. But fitting. Acquiring humility involves humiliation.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Conor will STARCH Khabib.

@ me!!

JB, I just finished watching the headline fight.

Let me start by saying that you know the sport much better than myself. I’m a Johnny-come-lately in comparison and just a casual who can sometimes muster up some okay takes. Well, that’s the hope haha.

Having said that, I think, you being a big Conor fan, as you have since I first began frequenting this thread, is playing a bit of a factor with this take.

If the Eagle that showed up last night to begin Round 3 shows up in Round 1 of a fight with McG, then yes, I’m onboard with you. Murk City.

Otherwise, Conor has to withstand the first 10 minutes that Al did to get there. And I am not sure, from what we’ve witnessed so far from him, in both Diaz fights, that he can still be the same explosive, otherworldly striker he’ll need to be from thence.

This fight certainly showed the nicks in Khabib’s armor for sure but that’s what it boils down to from my pedestrian vantage point. Can Conor survive those first 2 rounds. I’d say it’s not a given.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject:

I think the 3 opponents in one week played a factor.

It’s a lot different when you get 8 weeks to prepare for someone specifically. I still think Khabib mauls Conor UNLESS Khabib abandons his gameplan and starts trying some standup stuff like last night lol.

Whatever the case, his performance yesterday makes a possible matchup with Conor A LOT more intriguing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

It’s a lot different when you get 8 weeks to prepare for someone specifically. I still think Khabib mauls Conor UNLESS Khabib abandons his gameplan and starts trying some standup stuff like last night lol.

Whatever the case, his performance yesterday makes a possible matchup with Conor A LOT more intriguing

To be fair, I think Khabib’s camp isn’t much for game planning.

As Rogan noted during the broadcast, Khabib’s corner instructed him to “take (Al) down” as if, at that point, it was just a mere matter of their fighter choosing not to do it the previous round. He was only able to get one takedown the rest of the way. And just barely.

For sure, your last sentence is the keynote moving forward.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

To be fair, I think Khabib’s camp isn’t much for game planning.

As Rogan noted during the broadcast, Khabib’s corner instructed him to “take (Al) down” as if, at that point, it was just a mere matter of their fighter choosing not to do it the previous round. He was only able to get one takedown the rest of the way. And just barely.

For sure, your last sentence is the keynote moving forward.

I think the game planning for Khabib is moreso how he will get to the takedown each time. That takes studying an opponents tendencies to figure out which technique works best. For Al they went with a low single leg. Cuz everyone knows Khabibs gameplan is the takedown ground and pound (bars lol) no matter who he faces.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Ah, I see your point.

That being said, it’s pretty safe to assume, in-fight adjustments are non-existent or sparse at best from his corner.

He did get tired, which was interesting. He was able to turn up the energy in the last round and his chin is great but his defense is amateurish.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Ah, I see your point.

That being said, it’s pretty safe to assume, in-fight adjustments are non-existent or sparse at best from his corner.

He did get tired, which was interesting. He was able to turn up the energy in the last round and his chin is great but his defense is amateurish.

Agreed I don’t think his corner is great at adjustments, DC mentioned the corner has grown with him over time. I think Khabib kinda does what he wants he’s in there.

You’re right, he is vulnerable. Before I thought there was no way McGregor can beat him, but now I see the holes.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Conor will STARCH Khabib.

@ me!!

JB, I just finished watching the headline fight.

Let me start by saying that you know the sport much better than myself. I’m a Johnny-come-lately in comparison and just a casual who can sometimes muster up some okay takes. Well, that’s the hope haha.

Having said that, I think, you being a big Conor fan, as you have since I first began frequenting this thread, is playing a bit of a factor with this take.

If the Eagle that showed up last night to begin Round 3 shows up in Round 1 of a fight with McG, then yes, I’m onboard with you. Murk City.

Otherwise, Conor has to withstand the first 10 minutes that Al did to get there. And I am not sure, from what we’ve witnessed so far from him, in both Diaz fights, that he can still be the same explosive, otherworldly striker he’ll need to be from thence.

This fight certainly showed the nicks in Khabib’s armor for sure but that’s what it boils down to from my pedestrian vantage point. Can Conor survive those first 2 rounds. I’d say it’s not a given.

No doubt, on paper Khabib will maul him but I'm a firm believer in the Mcgregor magic. He's going to voodoo a kill shot with that left.

Off topic...book it, Zabit is going to be a nightmare at 145. He needs more time obviously but his raw talent mixed with that frame at 145...he's going to be a load to deal with. Guy has such stupid length... How on earth do you make 145 at 6'1" and still maintain some size. Sheesh...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Khabib's coach responds to Rogan's commentating:

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/4/10/17217828/khabib-nurmagomedovs-coach-says-joe-rogan-didnt-understand-what-the-hells-going-on-with-ufc-223

Quote:
“I saw the fight last night with Joe Rogan [commentating] and he totally didn’t understand what the hell’s going on,” Mendez said Monday on The MMA Hour, “because he totally based that thing completely wrong. ‘Oh, he exposed Khabib. There’s a lot of holes in his game.’ There’s no holes in his game. He’s never been a stand-up guy, yet he’s gotten better, and if you don’t acknowledge how much better he’s gotten compared to the last time, then you’re not really doing your research. Because he switched southpaw on this guy, he even did a $%^&* back kick, for #$%^ sake.

“He’s improving all the time and you need to acknowledge that. Don’t act like he’s got these holes in his game. #$%^^, do you think if he’s going to fight Nate Diaz, we’re going to stand with Nate Diaz? Do you think we have a chance [standing] against Nate Diaz? Do you think I think that? For #$%^ sake, no way. No way in hell are we going to fight with Conor [McGregor]’s stand-up too. Everybody’s got a different gameplan, and if you don’t change the gameplan according to what’s going on, you’re going to get checkmated.”

Nurmagomedov (26-0) is one of the most feared wrestlers in the sport, but has never been known for his stand-up abilities.

Matched against a power puncher like Iaquinta, Mendez said that Nurmagomedov followed his gameplan of wrestling the New Yorker to a tee for the opening two rounds, but then went rogue and chose to work on his striking instead for rounds three and four. Mendez said he was able to convince Nurmagomedov to split the difference and somewhat return to his wrestling roots in the fifth frame, but by then it didn’t much matter: Nurmagomedov swept the judges’ scorecards to win an easy decision.

Nonetheless, Nurmagomedov’s decision to try something new in a fight he was handily winning led to renewed waves of critics voicing doubt as to how Nurmagomedov would fare against a striker at the level of McGregor or Tony Ferguson — Rogan included.

And while Mendez understands where that talk is coming from, he thinks some people may be missing the bigger picture.

“I think they’re 100-percent correct in the way they’re thinking, but let’s see how the gameplan plays out,” Mendez said. “Let’s see if we’re foolish enough to stand with Conor like that, or let’s see how much we’ve improved since then. That’s the one thing you saw from Khabib, let’s face it — when he was punching, he was punching one-two; he was dropping his hands; his chin was up high; he leaned back. So if Al would’ve been smart enough to come at him with threes and fours, then he could’ve potentially clipped us. But Al was doing ones and twos himself, he wasn’t doing too many combinations.

“That’s not something Conor’s going to do. If that ever happened, Conor’s going to throw combinations because he’s schooled enough in the art of boxing that he’s going to come out, he knows one-twos are aren’t enough. So it’ll be a completely different gameplan. Like I said, Joe Rogan — Joe Rogan’s saying he’s been exposed, this and that. I’m going, man, is he crazy? When has Khabib ever been known to be some great striker? It’s like all of a sudden Khabib’s some great striker? We always knew he had holes in his stand-up. I always say it. When have I ever told you that Khabib is a great stand-up fighter? I’ve never said that. I said he improves all the time, and he’s improved.”

Rogan’s commentary was noticeable enough to be a minor talking point coming out of UFC 223. The longtime color analyst ultimately posted an explanation of his thought process on Instagram that included an apology aimed at anyone annoyed by his choice of words.

Yet while Mendez couldn’t help but notice Rogan’s commentary, he also isn’t worried about it either. He still considers himself a fan.

“I love Rogan, but yeah, if he’s apologized, he shouldn’t,” Mendez said. “He doesn’t need to apologize. Hey, that guy’s fantastic in my eyes. He says something, it causes controversy.

“So for me, he doesn’t need to apologize. But I’m sure he’s probably getting a lot of hate mail, because, I mean, when you think about it — right? — you call [a fight for] this guy [and say] he’s open [to getting hit], open... but yet he out-struck a guy that, before this, you would’ve thought he’d never out-strike.”
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Off topic...book it, Zabit is going to be a nightmare at 145. He needs more time obviously but his raw talent mixed with that frame at 145...he's going to be a load to deal with. Guy has such stupid length... How on earth do you make 145 at 6'1" and still maintain some size. Sheesh...

Much like the NBA, this is where the sport seems to be headed. Elite length is becoming the largest difference maker. Fighters that can keep their opponents at the end of their strikes while being just out of reach of counters is the way it's evolving lately. Darren Till and Israel Adesanya come to mind. Even on the women's side too with Nunes and Namajunas.

But I will admit that a 145'er at 6'1" is just stupid ridiculous. I have no clue how that can be done. Well, at least, not naturally.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
I can't see Conner being allowed back in the UFC and perhaps not even allowed in the USA...

atleast from all the sound bites I heard from Dana it seems like he is obviously trying to keep the door open for a Conner return
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

atleast from all the sound bites I heard from Dana it seems like he is obviously trying to keep the door open for a Conner return

Yeah if you're a shareholder, unless you hate money there is literally ZERO chance he doesn't fight in some shape or form under the UFC banner unless Conor just doesn't want to do the walk. I get the notion that "he can't keep getting away with this" but let's be real...any sentiment that precludes anything other than dollar and cents by an investment group that's losing money hand over fist after ponying up $4B expressly because of what a guy like Conor delivers would and should be promp[tly dismissed. Or they can go back to selling 10% of a Conor PPV with a headline with DJ (and I LOVE DJ). There's that option...2017 was horrific for the UFC and 2018 hasn't started off much better.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if anything can be done about the UFC's pricing model
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Anybody watch the YouTube channel Anatomy of a Fighter?

Tons of behind the scenes content for MMA. Everything from sparring in gyms to ppv coverage like embedded. Seeing Khabibs team reaction unfiltered in the locker room after 223 was pretty cool. Also the other fighters reactions watching the Zabit/Kyle fight
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Tons of behind the scenes content for MMA. Everything from sparring in gyms to ppv coverage like embedded. Seeing Khabibs team reaction unfiltered in the locker room after 223 was pretty cool. Also the other fighters reactions watching the Zabit/Kyle fight

I just peeped one. The walk with Mendez & Khabib from the locker room. That is fantastic stuff. Good to see a very candid, honest and (mostly) human conversation going on between coach and fighter. Glad to see there isn't a bunch of yes men or hype men in his camp just flat-out riding him.

That is great stuff. I'm a fan.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

I just peeped one. The walk with Mendez & Khabib from the locker room. That is fantastic stuff. Good to see a very candid, honest and (mostly) human conversation going on between coach and fighter. Glad to see there isn't a bunch of yes men or hype men in his camp just flat-out riding him.

That is great stuff. I'm a fan.

It really is man! I like the stuff leading up to the Rockhold/Whittaker (Turned out ot be Romero) fight too. Rockhold was training with Usman, Michael Johnson and all those guys down in Florida. Couple boxers too like Big Baby. Seeing these guys spar and train is pretty cool
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

Andersen Silvas reaction and then almost immediate care for his opponent was a moment that changed MMA/UFC for me.. to see these men being humble after such an adrenaline filled event

Silva foot to belforts face
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

Breakdown of the Zabit v. bochniak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject:

Also, one more unique MMA channel for you guys is one called Alpaca Thesaurus.

He analyzes UFC topics and press conferences from a psychology perspective. I don't always agree with his takes but it can be really interesting (and a little weird LOL, you'll know what I mean 5 seconds into watching one of his vids)

Here's one he just did on how Iaquinta got Khabib to fight on the feet:

My MMA content go to's are (all on YouTube)

News & comedy: MMA World,
Breakdowns: The Weasle
Fighter POV: UFC on Fox, MMAFightingonSBN, Chael Sonnen, JRE clips, Octagon News
Psychological Breakdown: Alpaca Thesaurus
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject:

I’ve watched Alpaca Thesaurus a few times. Particularly enjoy the one breaking down the Nick Diaz/Brendan Schuab backstage beef following the Mayweather/McGregor fight.

Nice win for the Diamond last night. Justin Gaethje looks destined to be an entertaining journeyman who grows increasingly less entertaining because his limited/stubborn style will cause his fights to last shorter and shorter.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
I’ve watched Alpaca Thesaurus a few times. Particularly enjoy the one breaking down the Nick Diaz/Brendan Schuab backstage beef following the Mayweather/McGregor fight.

Nice win for the Diamond last night. Justin Gaethje looks destined to be an entertaining journeyman who grows increasingly less entertaining because his limited/stubborn style will cause his fights to last shorter and shorter.

Couldn’t agree more on Gaethje! It’s so frustrating that he won’t even try to wrestle!

He made a comment after the fight that explains his line of thinking. He said he doesn’t see himself fighting more than 5 more fights and retiring to be a social worker. He said it’s just entertainment and he wants to put on the best show.

In my opinion though, he seriously needs to think about brain damage. He may not be able to be social worker if he suffers from memory loss or CTE. He’s gotta change his style
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject:

You said it brotha. Brain damage are exactly the words that kept coming to mind after each pinpointed, laserscope-focused Porier combination would snap Justin's head to and fro.

At this level, the game plan to make every single fight an in-the-pocket, battle of wills, where he winds up chopping down the tree until he can yell “timber” late is just not sustainable. He almost lost to Michael Johnson. To my casual eyes, this guy is most likely on his way to declining, unless he steps down in competition and they just schedule him fights in Zona (where they'll support him no matter how long he lasts).

As the broadcast crew kept noting, the body was there all night for the taking. And had Porier invested in the body early, Dustin would have taken less damage and that fight would have ended sooner. It happens in boxing a lot. You get a guy with a cynder block for a head, who can just pressure fighters into a slug fest (because they--like Justin--let their opponents hit them easily). Those guys will keep most of their opponents moving backward and eventually get them to shell up, inevitably just squeezing their will to win out of them. Until finally, someone decides to go to said fighter’s body and the whole dynamic changes. And suddenly, the opposite happens because they just would much rather get hit upstairs than down.

That’s kind of where I see Gaethje now. His next opponent will probably try to kill the body early so the head can die late. No doubt that they’ll feel like they want to amputate their leg (to remove the pain) in the process but that’s the way they’ll start to counteract his style, is my guess. And, if/when that blueprint gets laid out, then Gaethje will start taking even more cranial punishment, which leads us back to your OG point. Even if it’s just 5 more fights, he needs to start thinking about adjusting sooner rather than later.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
You said it brotha. Brain damage are exactly the words that kept coming to mind after each pinpointed, laserscope-focused Porier combination would snap Justin's head to and fro.

At this level, the game plan to make every single fight an in-the-pocket, battle of wills, where he winds up chopping down the tree until he can yell “timber” late is just not sustainable. He almost lost to Michael Johnson. To my casual eyes, this guy is most likely on his way to declining, unless he steps down in competition and they just schedule him fights in Zona (where they'll support him no matter how long he lasts).

As the broadcast crew kept noting, the body was there all night for the taking. And had Porier invested in the body early, Dustin would have taken less damage and that fight would have ended sooner. It happens in boxing a lot. You get a guy with a cynder block for a head, who can just pressure fighters into a slug fest (because they--like Justin--let their opponents hit them easily). Those guys will keep most of their opponents moving backward and eventually get them to shell up, inevitably just squeezing their will to win out of them. Until finally, someone decides to go to said fighter’s body and the whole dynamic changes. And suddenly, the opposite happens because they just would much rather get hit upstairs than down.

That’s kind of where I see Gaethje now. His next opponent will probably try to kill the body early so the head can die late. No doubt that they’ll feel like they want to amputate their leg (to remove the pain) in the process but that’s the way they’ll start to counteract his style, is my guess. And, if/when that blueprint gets laid out, then Gaethje will start taking even more cranial punishment, which leads us back to your OG point. Even if it’s just 5 more fights, he needs to start thinking about adjusting sooner rather than later.

This is brilliant! exactly how I felt about it too. Was wondering why Poirer wasn't going to the body much.

But yup that will be the game plan against him going forward. I wonder who they will book him against next? 155 is pretty stacked
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Anybody care about the Kevin Lee vs Barbosa today? Or cub Swanson vs Frankie Edgar?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 430, 431, 432 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 431 of 499
Jump to: