Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 434, 435, 436 ... 497, 498, 499  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Bahahahaha!! They got Chael Sonnen too

I wonder who gets to play the Skip Bayless role.

What's interesting is that (as I'm sure you've already heard) Dana was talking some mad ish about how nobody in the UFC talks to Hawani and pretty much intimating that nobody ever would. And now the dude has been hired by the very company that the UFC just partnered up with.

I wonder how many one-on-ones between those two there's gonna be.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Certain promotions (especially in Asia) have always had freak show fights. They love that sort of stuff.

True and great point. Bob Sapp and Giant Silva in Pride FC drives your point home.

That being said, this promotion is still a spectacle at best and a potentially devastating joke at worst. The Ice Man hasn't won a fight in 11 years! And his last 3 losses were by KO or TKO.

I don't mind what Conor does. He's generally funny and witty and he knows how to hype it up. The McGregor/Diaz fights were highly entertaining from the moment they were announced to the final seconds of both contests. But I do suspect those have a chance of serving as the pinnacle for that type of energy when all is said and done. Just so hard to recreate. Everything since has felt more contrived than anything.

Khabib vs. Conor will be a HUGE fight but Khabib is more soft spoken (although funny) and calmly confident. So, I think the fireworks won't really come until they enter the octagon the night of (and in the crowd of course ).

Christ, I can't believe it's been that long.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Christ, I can't believe it's been that long.

Scares me, personally, for him. I was shocked too looking at his sherdog career record. This is some finale Rocky Balboa stuff that will have anything but a Hollywood ending.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

What's interesting is that (as I'm sure you've already heard) Dana was talking some mad ish about how nobody in the UFC talks to Hawani and pretty much intimating that nobody ever would. And now the dude has been hired by the very company that the UFC just partnered up with.

knowing ESPN that's the main reason they signed him. More drama lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

Grudge match with three 2.5 minute rounds. Tito Ortiz trains Ariel.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

Grudge match with three 2.5 minute rounds. Tito Ortiz trains Ariel.

Mario Yamasaki referees
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Mario Yamasaki referees

On this weekend: What are everyone's thoughts on Usman?

He's a very intriguing prospect, IMO.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

Anatomy of a Fighter is collecting such amazing content. There are true gems to be found within that channel.

As y'all know, I've been alluding to the weight cuts that fighter's subject themselves to in order to compete and how something needs to be done to minimize the dangers therein.

The latest AOF entry (posted just hours ago) centered on the weight cuts of the combatants competing at UFC Chile, is one of the most riveting, haunting, humanizing and sympathetic videos I've seen a long while as it digs deeper into the lives of MMA fighters in what I'm starting to feel is the most grueling part of their journey just to make it into the octagon. Start to finish, it's just an absolutely compelling but harrowing watch. Deep and draining mental and physical anguish that finally culminates with the picture of Usman returning to his room to end the episode.

Please give it a peep and let me know what ya'll think.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

Mario Yamasaki referees

On this weekend: What are everyone's thoughts on Usman?

He's a very intriguing prospect, IMO.

Usman is very intriguing. Multiple outlets reporting he’s one of the most avoided fighters. Strong, athletic, wrestling base. Fights intelligently.

He didn’t win any fans from upper management with his 30% comment, even though they way everyone took it was not what he meant lol. With an impressive win over Maia (KO, TKO, or submission) I think he’s one fight away from title shot. If he wins he’ll prob half to go through the winner of Till/Wonderboy.

Thanks for the heads up on Anatomy of a Fighter! I’m like 2 or 3 vids behind. I’ll catch up then come back in here and post
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Anatomy of a Fighter is collecting such amazing content. There are true gems to be found within that channel.

As y'all know, I've been alluding to the weight cuts that fighter's subject themselves to in order to compete and how something needs to be done to minimize the dangers therein.

The latest AOF entry (posted just hours ago) centered on the weight cuts of the combatants competing at UFC Chile, is one of the most riveting, haunting, humanizing and sympathetic videos I've seen a long while as it digs deeper into the lives of MMA fighters in what I'm starting to feel is the most grueling part of their journey just to make it into the octagon. Start to finish, it's just an absolutely compelling but harrowing watch. Deep and draining mental and physical anguish that finally culminates with the picture of Usman returning to his room to end the episode.

All caught up now!

Man those weight cuts are brutal! Did you see the sweat pouring out of Usman’s hoodie?! Sheesh!

HYDRATION TESTING. The UFC needs to get on this. I this you’d see much better fights too because the fighters wouldn’t be drained the night before. Plus less chances of fights getting cancelled due to unhealthy cuts like Khabib and Uriah Hall
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

I used to compete in kickboxing when I was younger, which involved cutting weight. You literally feel weak all the time, you're relying on fading self discipline you have left and encouragement from others to not just say (bleep) it and give up. It's the race against time too which makes everything feel so desperate and really starts to mess with your self esteem when it goes slower than you hope. I ended up fighting at a higher weight class to avoid it, but just led to me quitting in the end.

One of the most heartbreaking moments is when you see someone literally give everything they have and their body just can't get there in time to make weight. It's so easy for people to look at these UFC fighters and call them lazy or criticize them if they miss, but they don't understand how traumatic it is on your body, and how utterly soul destroying it is to put in all the work and come up just short. It's like people think the fighters have just sat at home eating donuts or something, but it is so so much tougher than it looks.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject:

My hat is off to you guys. No way would I ever wanna deal with a weight cut lol.

Watching the fights tonight’s since if it’s FS1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Good main card so far
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject:

UFC should never let Maia main card again. The way he fights its impossible for it to be exciting
Laker4andmore
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject:

St Pierre vs Diaz lol

St Pierre taking smart money fights that hes favorite in. Must need the money.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
UFC should never let Maia main card again. The way he fights its impossible for it to be exciting

That's putting it kindly.

Watching that fight was tantamount to doing Nyquil shots.

I will admit that there was at least a small degree of suspense in the first round when he was trying to backpack Usman but after that, it was pretty much game over. And it was only increasingly more sad as rounds passed, watching him try to trick Kamaru into a grappling match at every single turn, including begging him from his back as the ref instructed him to stand.

Yeah, time to send him on a vacation at the El Pantera Resort.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

I will admit that there was at least a small degree of suspense in the first round when he was trying to backpack Usman but after that, it was pretty much game over. And it was only increasingly more sad as rounds passed, watching him try to trick Kamaru into a grappling match at every single turn, including begging him from his back as the ref instructed him to stand.

The trouble with Maia is that he is incredibly one dimensional, and unfortunately for him, the thing he is good at is probably not very exciting to watch for your average UFC fan.

If he was in a jiu-jitsu contest people would probably have more appreciation and understanding of his technical prowess, but in the UFC he will show as boring and negative.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

The trouble with Maia is that he is incredibly one dimensional, and unfortunately for him, the thing he is good at is probably not very exciting to watch for your average UFC fan.

If he was in a jiu-jitsu contest people would probably have more appreciation and understanding of his technical prowess, but in the UFC he will show as boring and negative.

agreed. And it is exciting when he has someone on the ground in the UFC, only problem is the intelligent fighters will not engage him there. Why do that when you can beat him by points and get the decision? Not worth the risk.

it was funny/sad when him and Macedo were welcoming their opponents into their guard. As if anybody is going to fall for that lol.

Who do yall got in Wonderboy/Till on Sunday?

I think Wonderboy is gonna win because he has a ton more experience and more tools. I want Till to win though for some more excitement in the WW division. I just don't know if he has the right skills to beat Thompson yet
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:

I used to compete in kickboxing when I was younger, which involved cutting weight. You literally feel weak all the time, you're relying on fading self discipline you have left and encouragement from others to not just say (bleep) it and give up. It's the race against time too which makes everything feel so desperate and really starts to mess with your self esteem when it goes slower than you hope. I ended up fighting at a higher weight class to avoid it, but just led to me quitting in the end.

One of the most heartbreaking moments is when you see someone literally give everything they have and their body just can't get there in time to make weight. It's so easy for people to look at these UFC fighters and call them lazy or criticize them if they miss, but they don't understand how traumatic it is on your body, and how utterly soul destroying it is to put in all the work and come up just short. It's like people think the fighters have just sat at home eating donuts or something, but it is so so much tougher than it looks.

Thanks so much for chiming in, Mo.

I remember looking over at the other side of the gym during hoops practice and watching the wrestling team just destroying themselves relentlessly as a team and then, when the final whistle blew, a dozen or so of them would dawn sauna suits and start running greens, rain or shine.

Making weight is, in so many ways, necessary self-destruction in combat sports. It's brutal. Rough, rough stuff.

I think they have to do something about it.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:

I've acquired enough knowledge to appreciate the intricate, often hard to see nuances of grappling but, as you astutely note, in an MMA bout, it falls flat if it's the sole plan of attack.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

Laker4andmore wrote:
St Pierre vs Diaz lol

The report of the most recent GSP/Diaz fight was vehemently shot down by Nate via tweet.

GSP is doing the smart thing: picking and choosing. Why? Because he absolutely can.

You see no pressure from Dana or the UFC now because he's already proven to everyone that they have no leverage against him. He can do whatever the eff he wants because they still stand to make a lot of money if/when he does decide to fight.

Sensing the French Canadian's plan all along, that's precisely why Dana threatened to strip St. Pierre of the title in the event that he beat Bisping and chose not to defend and yet that's exactly what George did without so much as a blink. He didn't seem to want any of Ty Woodley.

In fact, if Bisping had never won the belt, I doubt we'd have ever seen GSP come back. It was the perfect championship pop shot for him. Now, he's just strategically biding his time, waiting for the Khabib/McGregor fight to play out before making a decision on his next opponent. He's being very judicious, if not circumspect so I could definitely see him never fighting again.

He's in a fantastic position.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Laker4andmore wrote:
St Pierre vs Diaz lol

The report of the most recent GSP/Diaz fight was vehemently shot down by Nate via tweet.

GSP is doing the smart thing: picking and choosing. Why? Because he absolutely can.

You see no pressure from Dana or the UFC now because he's already proven to everyone that they have no leverage against him. He can do whatever the eff he wants because they still stand to make a lot of money if/when he does decide to fight.

Sensing the French Canadian's plan all along, that's precisely why Dana threatened to strip St. Pierre of the title in the event that he beat Bisping and chose not to defend and yet that's exactly what George did without so much as a blink. He didn't seem to want any of Ty Woodley.

In fact, if Bisping had never won the belt, I doubt we'd have ever seen GSP come back. It was the perfect championship pop shot for him. Now, he's just strategically biding his time, waiting for the Khabib/McGregor fight to play out before making a decision on his next opponent. He's being very judicious, if not circumspect so I could definitely see him never fighting again.

He's in a fantastic position.

That's exactly what he's doing. And it's smart and Mayweather like.

Whoever wins between Khabib/McGregor will have even MORE hype adding to GSP's legacy and $$$ if he were to beat them at 155.

I like Woodley a lot, but it only make sense for GSP to fight him from a competitive standpoint. Doesn't do much in terms of pocketbook and he's a nightmare matchup for GSP so the risk is too high.

GSP vs Khabib/Conor would prob be the biggest card in UFC history. Especailly if they can get their fantasy Jones vs Lesnar on there too
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject:

2 weeks away from UFC 225. Such a disgusting card.

Btw, you guys have GOT to listen to GSP's podcast with Joe Rogan. It's the loosest, most candor I've ever seen from GSP.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject:

My favorite part was when he talks about how he prepared for Bisping. That pyramid of training philosophy was pretty cool
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
2 weeks away from UFC 225. Such a disgusting card.

Btw, you guys have GOT to listen to GSP's podcast with Joe Rogan. It's the loosest, most candor I've ever seen from GSP.

Rashad Evans?
Clay Guida?
Andre Arlovski?
CM Punk?

Looks like a Bellator card.

Benavidez, Overeem, Holm and Gadelha too? Should have just called it The Farewell Tour.

Hope RDA amputates Covington’s lead leg. That it’s an interim title shot confirms the means by which it was acquired.

I’m with GSP on this one: do away with the straps.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 434, 435, 436 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 435 of 499
Jump to: