Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 441, 442, 443 ... 497, 498, 499  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
Fellas we got a Welterweight tourney in bellator that could get interesting.

At WW in the UFC rumor is they're stripping Covington because he doesn't want to fight in September and giving the title shot to Till.

Oezdamir out with injury UFC trying to find a replacement for Gustuffson for Aug 4

Anderson Silver cleared by USADA (tainted supplement) and can fight again as early as October.

Whittaker says he won't be ready to fight until at least Feb 2019. So what does UFC do at MW? Does Weidman fight Costa? Who does Adesanya fight? Who does Silva fight?

Silva vs Adesanya possibly?? Does that make sense?

Israel said he's down to fight the Spider on his IG. Old lion is going to get eaten alive.

We could get a changing of the guard fight
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject:

Shogun got Shogunned. I have no idea why he was still fighting. He looked like dad bod Belfort between camps.

The old guard of the UFC needs to shut it down. Unless they're fighting against each other, the gap between MMA generations has become a chasm. The young influx of talent is the next step or two in the evolution of the sport. Especially in the lighter divisions.

Really looking forward to the Porier/Alvarez fight this weekend.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject:

Woodley vs. Till official for UFC 228 in September.

Anyone else get the feeling that something arises to derail this fight?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Shogun got Shogunned. I have no idea why he was still fighting. He looked like dad bod Belfort between camps.

The old guard of the UFC needs to shut it down. Unless they're fighting against each other, the gap between MMA generations has become a chasm. The young influx of talent is the next step or two in the evolution of the sport. Especially in the lighter divisions.

BAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHA!!

Absolutely! This is another reason I cringed when Chuck Lidell thought he could take Jon Jones lol

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

it is?! nice!! I'm behind on my MMA vids lol. I hope it happens!

If it fails I'm gonna guess weight cut lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject:

OH MY GOSH ROMERO VS COSTA BOOKED FOR NOV 3 at MSG UFC 230!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Helwani saying Yoel refuting reports
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

BAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHA!!

Absolutely! This is another reason I cringed when Chuck Lidell thought he could take Jon Jones lol

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

it is?! nice!! I'm behind on my MMA vids lol. I hope it happens!

If it fails I'm gonna guess weight cut lol

Darren Till's weight cut if I had to pick one. He's a giant at 170.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Jeez, is that the all-body match or what? *pause*
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Chuck Lidell vs Bones...

iceman at this age.. he must want a Rocky Movie made of himself since the sport is gaining more popularity
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Darren Till's weight cut if I had to pick one. He's a giant at 170.

Yup! Dude could easily fight at MW or LHW with no problem

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

Jeez, is that the all-body match or what? *pause*

Would be a hell of a fight if it happens. Though I think Yoel's striking is too good for Costa rn

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Chuck Lidell vs Bones...

iceman at this age.. he must want a Rocky Movie made of himself since the sport is gaining more popularity

Yup or a deathwish. No disrespect to Lidell, but I think even in his prime he'd have been easy pickins for Jones. A march forward brawler is almost the easiest kind of fight for the more well rounded technicians in the game today. It's the same reason Gaethje keeps getting destroyed despite having a lionheart. The game has passed those guys by. He'd have to get modern training and adapt his style to be upper echelon
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Mike Perry fights at 170 and look how Costa looks next to him.

Yeah totally natural vascularity...nothing suspicious there...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlowkBHgKya/?hl=en&taken-by=platinummikeperry
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject:

I am not thrilled with the UFC rewarding Till. He is a beast, but should have to actually make weight before getting a title shot.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
I am not thrilled with the UFC rewarding Till. He is a beast, but should have to actually make weight before getting a title shot.

Welcome to the new UFC, my man.

I think we can all agree that they’ve been looking to fast track Till from the jump and with the welterweight division being a bit of a cluster cuss right now, the path to the top opened up just enough for him to be pushed right through. Especially once Covington went AWOL. The dead giveaway is how quickly this fight got inked.

I’m cool with them doing whatever they please just as long as it stays off the judges scorecards. The English/UK market is loyal and rabid in support of their fighters and Till is definitely a nice prospect but while he did smoke Cowboy, his next fight was a snoozer in which the end result was closer to a draw than a win. And that’s aside from him not making weight. I fully expect Dana to address the failure to make weight by citing the “personal issue” Till was going through prior to facing Wonder Boy. Let’s just see what happens come weigh in.

I’m to the point where it’s just “give me the best fight.” However, my concerns with weight cutting are pretty well documented in previous pages so that does temper my previous sentence. Size and length is beginning to dominate all the lighter divisions so I think we’re in for plenty more weight making fails and, worse still, scary situations where a fighter may ultimately lose their life.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject:

Conor avoids jail time. Hearing lasts less than 2 minutes. Next hearing is today. Probably a plea bargain and a small suspension from the UFC that's retroactive.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Costa vs USADA for the interim MW championship

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:

Welcome to the new UFC, my man.

I think we can all agree that they’ve been looking to fast track Till from the jump and with the welterweight division being a bit of a cluster cuss right now, the path to the top opened up just enough for him to be pushed right through. Especially once Covington went AWOL. The dead giveaway is how quickly this fight got inked.

I’m cool with them doing whatever they please just as long as it stays off the judges scorecards. The English/UK market is loyal and rabid in support of their fighters and Till is definitely a nice prospect but while he did smoke Cowboy, his next fight was a snoozer in which the end result was closer to a draw than a win. And that’s aside from him not making weight. I fully expect Dana to address the failure to make weight by citing the “personal issue” Till was going through prior to facing Wonder Boy. Let’s just see what happens come weigh in.

I’m to the point where it’s just “give me the best fight.” However, my concerns with weight cutting are pretty well documented in previous pages so that does temper my previous sentence. Size and length is beginning to dominate all the lighter divisions so I think we’re in for plenty more weight making fails and, worse still, scary situations where a fighter may ultimately lose their life.

Kevin Lee was just talking about this the other day.

Idk why the UFC won't adopt hydration testing. It would save lots of their cards too
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Idk why the UFC won't adopt hydration testing. It would save lots of their cards too

I know you, Moses and myself have been on this for a minute now. It seems there are common sense compromises/solutions available but, for whatever reason, the UFC doesn't seem willing to budge. It's odd.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Conor avoids jail time. Hearing lasts less than 2 minutes. Next hearing is today. Probably a plea bargain and a small suspension from the UFC that's retroactive.

5 days of community service and is now free to continue his career.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Yup, community service and anger management.

Let any ordinary person do what he did and see what the charges are ROFL. Especially if it was a minority lol. It pays to be rich
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

also ray borg, michael chiesa, and that UFC exec have restraining orders against him.

Obviously UFC will not invite the fighters to Conor's next PPV, but do they tell the exec to just not show up for work? this is a disaster lol
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

I know you, Moses and myself have been on this for a minute now. It seems there are common sense compromises/solutions available but, for whatever reason, the UFC doesn't seem willing to budge. It's odd.

Very odd! One theory I read on sherdog is that dehydrated fighters leads to more finishes thus more exciting fights (also more brain damage)
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
also ray borg, michael chiesa, and that UFC exec have restraining orders against him.

Obviously UFC will not invite the fighters to Conor's next PPV, but do they tell the exec to just not show up for work? this is a disaster lol

Cash cow. At the very least, the UFC does a decent job of being as transparent in that regard. Don't know about the court system though.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

Cash cow. At the very least, the UFC does a decent job of being as transparent in that regard. Don't know about the court system though.
yup. They will be raking in the dough with Khabib/Conor in Vegas
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

Very odd! One theory I read on sherdog is that dehydrated fighters leads to more finishes thus more exciting fights (also more brain damage)

Now that is JUICY ish right there

All that talk about unionizing went to the way side real quick. I’m guessing there were some assurances made (more PPV $’s, etc.) to the fighter’s for that to happen. It was a blink and then, poof. Gone and not heard of since.

The weight cut issue is not going to go away so I don’t know what the long term thinking is there. It seems there’s at least one fighter per weigh-in that doesn’t make the cut. And in cases like Big Mack n Cheese Dern, who has such a large following and big name, it works in her favor to just ignore the issue altogether. She rolled in (pun entirely intended) 8 freakin lbs over and dropped her opponent with one shot when she’s not even known as a striker.

Then you have guys like Till who really has no business fighting beneath middleweight, looking like near evaporated versions of their proper selves just to be over the limit too.

Something needs to be done. And if it gets out that there’s any truth to that rumor about knockouts being encouraged via weight cut attrition, I hope the company pays the absolute highest price. Whether it can be proven or not, I’d say it’s safe for us to assume that the idea is not completely far fetched.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Khabib responds to news that Conor has been cleared to fight:

#sendmelocation
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

Now that is JUICY ish right there

All that talk about unionizing went to the way side real quick. I’m guessing there were some assurances made (more PPV $’s, etc.) to the fighter’s for that to happen. It was a blink and then, poof. Gone and not heard of since.

The weight cut issue is not going to go away so I don’t know what the long term thinking is there. It seems there’s at least one fighter per weigh-in that doesn’t make the cut. And in cases like Big Mack n Cheese Dern, who has such a large following and big name, it works in her favor to just ignore the issue altogether. She rolled in (pun entirely intended) 8 freakin lbs over and dropped her opponent with one shot when she’s not even known as a striker.

Then you have guys like Till who really has no business fighting beneath middleweight, looking like near evaporated versions of their proper selves just to be over the limit too.

Something needs to be done. And if it gets out that there’s any truth to that rumor about knockouts being encouraged via weight cut attrition, I hope the company pays the absolute highest price. Whether it can be proven or not, I’d say it’s safe for us to assume that the idea is not completely far fetched.

Very true GTR. Most of the fighters now know the UFC is about the business and not really about the martial arts. The smart ones will take advantage of that like DC.

No way on merit alone should DC be fighting Corey Anderson next haha. But he needs to preserve being champ champ before he fights Brock

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Khabib responds to news that Conor has been cleared to fight:

#sendmelocation

bahahahah I was dying when I saw this! I bet my friend a movie ticket on this fight
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Wow.

I need to be educated. Costa is obviously not on that Rashard Lewis or Turkoglu. Even JBJ and Anderson Silva looked like their respective prescriptions were built more for function rather than show.

So, unless it’s solely related to body type and how the pairing of the two matches up, why would Costa’s people continue this play with such an obvious give? It looks like muscle is a second away from erupting through skin. And what does this say about USADA, let alone the UFC?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 441, 442, 443 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 442 of 499
Jump to: