Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 463, 464, 465 ... 497, 498, 499  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
You're not the only one GTR I think it can go either way.

But the reason I give Max the nod is because Tony eats a lot of shots. I think he'll take too much damage to impose his will on Max.

But if Tony is able to create a scramble situation Max could be in trouble.

You know what's funny fellas is this is one of those rare times when Dana White is right. There is nothing left for Max at 145. 155 is where all the interesting fights and accolades are

I guess I think Max loses range when he goes up a class.

He's such an amazing judge of distance that, even though he shares the same reach as T-City (69"), he looked like he held a sizable advantage. That being said, El Cucuy, is listed with a 76 1/2" reach.

Granted, I will give you that Tony is routinely touched, but he's also got that awkward flow of constant motion that he utilizes when he's not hunkering down in a center-of-the-octagon throwdown that gives his opponents timing issues. As you note, he likes to escape into that controlled chaos that he always scrambles into when caught or hurt. I also still think that because Max is more of a volume puncher, Tony can withstand the barrage, while doling out punishment of his own, while utilizing a far more diverse attack than Max has had to face. And, as always, the threat of a takedown will be looming with Ferguson's wrestling background.

Watching those two would be amazing though. I wouldn't be surprised to see Max pull it out but I guess I just see the "bigger" man winning.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:
You're not the only one GTR I think it can go either way.

But the reason I give Max the nod is because Tony eats a lot of shots. I think he'll take too much damage to impose his will on Max.

But if Tony is able to create a scramble situation Max could be in trouble.

You know what's funny fellas is this is one of those rare times when Dana White is right. There is nothing left for Max at 145. 155 is where all the interesting fights and accolades are

I guess I think Max loses range when he goes up a class.

He's such an amazing judge of distance that, even though he shares the same reach as T-City (69"), he looked like he held a sizable advantage. That being said, El Cucuy, is listed with a 76 1/2" reach.

Granted, I will give you that Tony is routinely touched, but he's also got that awkward flow of constant motion that he utilizes when he's not hunkering down in a center-of-the-octagon throwdown that gives his opponents timing issues. As you note, he likes to escape into that controlled chaos that he always scrambles into when caught or hurt. I also still think that because Max is more of a volume puncher, Tony can withstand the barrage, while doling out punishment of his own, while utilizing a far more diverse attack than Max has had to face. And, as always, the threat of a takedown will be looming with Ferguson's wrestling background.

Watching those two would be amazing though. I wouldn't be surprised to see Max pull it out but I guess I just see the "bigger" man winning.

My goodness I didn't know the reach disparity was that huge. That would create a big problem for Max. I forgot about Tony's elbows too
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

Been thinking about McG and his future prospects. With, I believe, 7 fights left on his UFC deal, I think they really need to get him back on the winning track.

Looking at the division, if I'm the UFC, I would think a bout with Gaethje would be a favorable (if not ideal) matchup that would draw serious heat from a fan's perspective. Guaranteed to showcase each fighter's strengths and allow Conor the opportunity to sport his wares.

Outside of that, maybe a run at Raging Al to get the ball rolling or a strike fest with Barbosa could potentially help restore some of his luster. I know these aren't the elite of the division but, let's face it, the matchups will sell on Conor's return alone. My thought process is that I'm just not sure how he gets through his current deal without a tuneup fight or three under his belt before making that big boy leap to the top.

Of course, there's always the opportunity to finish his trilogy with Nate anytime he wants but I think a prep fight before taking that one one would be wise.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

Cain vs Ngannou in the works for February.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Cain still around?
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Cain still around?

Kickin it at AKA.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject:

I thought we’d see Cain vs Stipe first but Cain bs Ngannou is a match I’d watch.

Completed agreed with the Conor dilemma GtR. Who can the ufc book him against that has a name but that he can likely beat? Gaethje is a good choice. I also wouldn’t be shocked to see him ko Conor either.

What do y’all make of the Dana White vs Oscar de la Hoya feud? I think they’re both greedy who will screw fighters over in a heartbeat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I thought we’d see Cain vs Stipe first but Cain bs Ngannou is a match I’d watch.

Completed agreed with the Conor dilemma GtR. Who can the ufc book him against that has a name but that he can likely beat? Gaethje is a good choice. I also wouldn’t be shocked to see him ko Conor either.

What do y’all make of the Dana White vs Oscar de la Hoya feud? I think they’re both greedy who will screw fighters over in a heartbeat.

I honestly think Conor wins that one. Probably pieces Gaethje up like a Costco Rotisserie Chicken. But Justin has a hard head and won't stop coming forward so it would be action heavy. I think it's a win-win for everyone. Conor gets back on track, Gaethje gets a huge payday and UFC keeps the Conor train rolling.

Oscar can't match Dana's trash talking game so going to the "let's settle this in the ring" should get through Dana's Mikasa volleyball head.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject:

Michael Chandler shined last night in Bellator, he held their 145lb belt twice previously, until a guy who was 7-0 took the belt after Chandler suffered freak ankle failure 2 minutes into the first round, over 500 days ago. He had been trying to get a rematch, but the guy always came up with some reason to delay.

Well fast forward to last nights 5-round fight in Hawaii, Chandler won all 5 rounds on all three judges cards, grinding out a 50-45 win to get his belt back.

There is another Bellator fight tonight, featuring newcomer and ex-UFC star Lyoto Machida...
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject:

I don’t see it but I do know that Chandler is very well regarded among the MMA fighter community. Heard he just keeps an amazing pace and has great wrestling and isn’t shy about banging.

How did the Dragon do? Like so many UFC transplants, his clock is ticking real loud.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
How did the Dragon do? Like so many UFC transplants, his clock is ticking real loud.

The fight is later on Saturday...
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

Damn Frank Mir is washed up af.. almost Chuck Liddell and Ken Shamrock levels...
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Kevin Lee is just not quite great. Almost, but not quite.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Kevin Lee is just not quite great. Almost, but not quite.

Yup my coworker said he doesn’t feel like he showed up and I agree. I think lee is better than what he showed but hats off to Al. Dude is tough as nails.

He might wind up being another tuneup option for Conor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject:

The UFC is the most disorganized major sporting body I’ve ever seen

How do you move an entire fight card on less than a week’s notice? LOL

and why not just move the Jones Gustafsson fight to LA and leave the rest of the card in Vegas?
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

and why not just move the Jones Gustafsson fight to LA and leave the rest of the card in Vegas?

People have had flights and rooms booked for a while. Nothing like changing flight arrangements around the holidays. Plenty of spots open!!

Not sure what to make of any of this other than, that fight was not going to be rescheduled. But still, what a mess. This has been planned for months. And they just get word about Nevada not sanctioning it now? And why now? Especially if the amount found is so negligible.

Yeah on second thought, you said it better.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

People have had flights and rooms booked for a while. Nothing like changing flight arrangements around the holidays. Plenty of spots open!!

Not sure what to make of any of this other than, that fight was not going to be rescheduled. But still, what a mess. This has been planned for months. And they just get word about Nevada not sanctioning it now? And why now? Especially if the amount found is so negligible.

Yup GtR huge disaster, everyone has to pay the Cali income tax now too. If Bones loses this fight man...his career could take an ugly turn
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

Yup GtR huge disaster, everyone has to pay the Cali income tax now too. If Bones loses this fight man...his career could take an ugly turn

I was a huge Jones fan but I really would love to see him get a piece of comeuppance. Won't lie though, he's still must see TV for me.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

I was a huge Jones fan but I really would love to see him get a piece of comeuppance. Won't lie though, he's still must see TV for me.

Oh yeah I’m still gonna watch JB. I’m with ya man, bones seems to needs some type of repercussions. I still want him to win the fight lol but dang
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

^ I'm hoping he gets his ass kicked personally.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Wow. That’s quite a shift in your perspective regarding Bones, from what I can recall. What was the tipping point?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Best main card in awhile. I never thought in a million years I would be interested in watching female MMA. Nunes vs Cyborg is almost like watching a male fight. I don't really care who wins that one. I'm rooting for Gustafson to beat Jones.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:

I think part of the reason I am feeling that way is Jones talking trash to the competitor you illegally beat really shows a deep lack of character.

**BTW.. I wonder what type of small print in ticket purchases is protecting UFC from lawsuits for changing venue on this short of notice?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Wow. That’s quite a shift in your perspective regarding Bones, from what I can recall. What was the tipping point?

I'll have to wait until Novitzky goes on Rogan this Thursday to talk about Jon's test results but for now, looks to me like the guy is cheating yet again.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Makes sense to me JB.

I do wonder if any of his other fans feel similarly. I rejoined UFC watching late and I think he’s only fought 3 times over that span, against DC twice and OSP once. To that point, I’d only heard about his legend so, for me, he’s always just come off as an insincere, hard to root for, albeit talented fighter. However, I am starting to feel sorry for him. Just can’t help himself. Own worst enemy, self destructor.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 463, 464, 465 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 464 of 499
Jump to: