Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 410, 411, 412, 413, 414  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 22926

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject:

Jon (bleep) Jones. Wow.


Props to soccer mom for lasting that long against Cyborg.


Woodley...I will never watch a card with this cat in it again.

Cowboy should have gotten the decision.
_________________
All Aboard the Paul George 2018 Train. CHOO CHOO!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 22926

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject:

Another thought. If this version of Jon Jones existed 2000 years ago, archeologists would be digging up statues of him, stories would be told of his feats.

Greatest of all time. Unreal. 1 fight in 3 years and comes back to stop DC like this. Jon didn't even look 100%. Christ...if you look up DC's highlight reel...DC RAGDOLLS heavyweights. He took Josh Barnett for a ride (a world class grappler). He tossed Hendo around like a rag doll. That fight was almost pathetic. And in walks in JJ and it's just...w t f....
_________________
All Aboard the Paul George 2018 Train. CHOO CHOO!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 26000

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Jon (bleep) Jones. Wow.


Props to soccer mom for lasting that long against Cyborg.


Woodley...I will never watch a card with this cat in it again.

Cowboy should have gotten the decision.


Dana destoryeddd Woodley in interviews after the fight.. Gave Bisping his GSP fight lmao. In his defense he said his shoulder was hurt.. idk, he always fights like this.... Not watching his fights either
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 15143

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Jon (bleep) Jones. Wow.


Props to soccer mom for lasting that long against Cyborg.


Woodley...I will never watch a card with this cat in it again.

Cowboy should have gotten the decision.


Dana destoryeddd Woodley in interviews after the fight.. Gave Bisping his GSP fight lmao. In his defense he said his shoulder was hurt.. idk, he always fights like this.... Not watching his fights either


Even if his shoulder was 100% the whole time I can't roll with y'all on this one. Woodley did exactly what he was supposed to to do. If he chases Maia on any of those exchanges it goes to the ground and it's game over.

If Dana wants a fight where Tyron will have big exchanges then book him against someone who has diverse game lol. Ironically GSP is (or at least was that). Can't blame him for not purposely playing into the hands of 1 dimensional fighters lol. Why would he try to outstrike Wonderboy? Why would he try to out grapple Maia? He refuses to let them dictate the terms. It's how you win the fight
_________________
Blake Griffin's ankles beware....Randle is coming
The youngins are YOUNG, let them learn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 26000

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Jon (bleep) Jones. Wow.


Props to soccer mom for lasting that long against Cyborg.


Woodley...I will never watch a card with this cat in it again.

Cowboy should have gotten the decision.


Dana destoryeddd Woodley in interviews after the fight.. Gave Bisping his GSP fight lmao. In his defense he said his shoulder was hurt.. idk, he always fights like this.... Not watching his fights either


Even if his shoulder was 100% the whole time I can't roll with y'all on this one. Woodley did exactly what he was supposed to to do. If he chases Maia on any of those exchanges it goes to the ground and it's game over.

If Dana wants a fight where Tyron will have big exchanges then book him against someone who has diverse game lol. Ironically GSP is (or at least was that). Can't blame him for not purposely playing into the hands of 1 dimensional fighters lol. Why would he try to outstrike Wonderboy? Why would he try to out grapple Maia? He refuses to let them dictate the terms. It's how you win the fight


Maia didn't have the ability to take him down, at all.. Woodley looked absolutely immovable to him. He could have safely had 50% less fear of attacking, if not 100%.. Maia had no chance
And he could have took Wonderboy down and pumbled him, like he did in Rd.1 of the first fight, but oddly never went for another take down..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Moses
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 7583
Location: London

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject:

2 thoughts here - firstly Jones is the GOAT, vicious finish to the fight, and even though I thought DC looked better than ever, just goes to show that Jones is on another level.

The other thought is Woodley. Dana needs to take some ownership of that too. Don't make a matchup like that if you want an exciting fight, he knew damn well that Maia doesn't want to exchange and would go for take down after take down. Props to Tyron for actually stuffing most of them, but did anyone really think this would be an exciting fight from the get go?
_________________
Even The Genius Has His Questions, Be Grateful For Blessings...
Lakers, Chargers, Dodgers

RIP Junior Seau
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Mar 2003
Posts: 12152

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject:

GSP vs Woolley would be a snooze fest . GSP isn't fun to watch either .

Atleast Bisping should make GSP work .

I really wanted D.C. to win . He was doing great until that kick. That's the tricky thing with MMA. If you get caught , even if you were winning the fight up until that moment, the narrative changes and everyone says you got dominated and that was not a one sided fight . No domination.

I think DC is gonna retire . I don't know how often there is a 3rd fight when one guy wins the first two . I know back in the day , Ken shamrock and Ortiz fought 3 times , with Ortiz winning all 3. But times have changed .
_________________
Dominating every day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 3223

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
GSP vs Woolley would be a snooze fest . GSP isn't fun to watch either .

Atleast Bisping should make GSP work .

I really wanted D.C. to win . He was doing great until that kick. That's the tricky thing with MMA. If you get caught , even if you were winning the fight up until that moment, the narrative changes and everyone says you got dominated and that was not a one sided fight . No domination.

I think DC is gonna retire . I don't know how often there is a 3rd fight when one guy wins the first two . I know back in the day , Ken shamrock and Ortiz fought 3 times , with Ortiz winning all 3. But times have changed .



Was a really great article I read this morning about Jones already talking to his team about Lesnar and they were confident he could do it.

He see McGregor as an idol
He wants the money a Lesnar Jones fight would draw

Jon Jones confident Brock Lesnar is ‘a winnable matchup’ with ‘pretty limited game’
https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/7/30/16064566/jon-jones-confident-brock-lesnar-is-a-winnable-matchup-with-pretty-limited-game
Quote:
Jones, 30, is unquestionably the greatest fighter the light heavyweight division has ever seen and has long discussed the idea of trying his hand at heavyweight. That being said, he indicated on Saturday that he would only make the move for a fight that felt special, one that could be both lucrative for him and made stylistic sense for his team — conditions which Jones said made a potential champion vs. champion match against UFC heavyweight king Stipe Miocic an unappealing prospect.

“I feel like if I was to take a fight at heavyweight, it would be against a person who I felt, me and my coaches felt, like it was just a perfect matchup for me,” Jones said. “Right now Stipe is looking extremely impressive, and I believe if you get an extremely talented big guy versus an extremely talented little guy, I mean, a lot of the cards are in his favor. At the same time, I fear no man.

“But I strike for a reason when I strike, and I feel like Stipe is relatively unknown to the general public, so it wouldn’t even be a real superfight, in my opinion. I think the MMA fans would be really excited about it, but the general public wouldn’t care about that fight. Most people don’t really know who he is, with all due respect to him. So, if I’m going to sacrifice being the smaller guy, I think stylistically Brock would be a fight that makes way more sense, and the payday would be tremendous, what it would do for our sport would be tremendous. It would have a much greater impact. So, for many reasons, a Brock Lesnar fight just makes more sense to me.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 22926

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Jon (bleep) Jones. Wow.


Props to soccer mom for lasting that long against Cyborg.


Woodley...I will never watch a card with this cat in it again.

Cowboy should have gotten the decision.


Dana destoryeddd Woodley in interviews after the fight.. Gave Bisping his GSP fight lmao. In his defense he said his shoulder was hurt.. idk, he always fights like this.... Not watching his fights either


Even if his shoulder was 100% the whole time I can't roll with y'all on this one. Woodley did exactly what he was supposed to to do. If he chases Maia on any of those exchanges it goes to the ground and it's game over.

If Dana wants a fight where Tyron will have big exchanges then book him against someone who has diverse game lol. Ironically GSP is (or at least was that). Can't blame him for not purposely playing into the hands of 1 dimensional fighters lol. Why would he try to outstrike Wonderboy? Why would he try to out grapple Maia? He refuses to let them dictate the terms. It's how you win the fight


Maia didn't have the ability to take him down, at all.. Woodley looked absolutely immovable to him. He could have safely had 50% less fear of attacking, if not 100%.. Maia had no chance
And he could have took Wonderboy down and pumbled him, like he did in Rd.1 of the first fight, but oddly never went for another take down..


Pretty much this. Lowest strike output ever in a 5 round fight...that's disgraceful no matter how you slice it. From an entertainment perspective, andd as a fan that matters, it was a certifiable snooze fest. Woodley's last 3 have been progressively worse. GSP/Woodley is going to be an epic stand off of wrestling-(bleep) point fighters. Ugh
_________________
All Aboard the Paul George 2018 Train. CHOO CHOO!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 15143

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Jon (bleep) Jones. Wow.


Props to soccer mom for lasting that long against Cyborg.


Woodley...I will never watch a card with this cat in it again.

Cowboy should have gotten the decision.


Dana destoryeddd Woodley in interviews after the fight.. Gave Bisping his GSP fight lmao. In his defense he said his shoulder was hurt.. idk, he always fights like this.... Not watching his fights either


Even if his shoulder was 100% the whole time I can't roll with y'all on this one. Woodley did exactly what he was supposed to to do. If he chases Maia on any of those exchanges it goes to the ground and it's game over.

If Dana wants a fight where Tyron will have big exchanges then book him against someone who has diverse game lol. Ironically GSP is (or at least was that). Can't blame him for not purposely playing into the hands of 1 dimensional fighters lol. Why would he try to outstrike Wonderboy? Why would he try to out grapple Maia? He refuses to let them dictate the terms. It's how you win the fight


Maia didn't have the ability to take him down, at all.. Woodley looked absolutely immovable to him. He could have safely had 50% less fear of attacking, if not 100%.. Maia had no chance
And he could have took Wonderboy down and pumbled him, like he did in Rd.1 of the first fight, but oddly never went for another take down..


Pretty much this. Lowest strike output ever in a 5 round fight...that's disgraceful no matter how you slice it. From an entertainment perspective, andd as a fan that matters, it was a certifiable snooze fest. Woodley's last 3 have been progressively worse. GSP/Woodley is going to be an epic stand off of wrestling-(bleep) point fighters. Ugh
I disagree. Maia had no chance to take Woodley down from standup (thanks to Woodleys smarts and athleticism which makes the fight fun to me), but he poses in EXTREME danger if the fight were to go to the ground in any type of exchange. There's a reason Woodley did chase him when he knocked him down. Try ground and pound and Maia gets ahold of a wrist of leg and it's a whole diff ball game. Why would Woodley risk that? To make it more exciting? Makes no sense from a competitive standpoint.

I can see Dana's POV cuz he wants a bloodbath for the fans. But like Moses said who didn't see this coming? So if he wanted a bloodbath he should have booked Lawler vs Woodley again. It's not like Woodley has never had exciting finishes or fights. Quite the opposite. He just fights each opponent with the most effective strategy possible. And actually I believe there's a GSP fight that had less strikes thrown.
_________________
Blake Griffin's ankles beware....Randle is coming
The youngins are YOUNG, let them learn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 26000

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject:

^ There's just so many levels of aggression between irrationally attacking Maia/following him to the ground, and how subdued Tyron was ..
As well as many levels between no strikes being thrown, and a blood bath -- a decent amount of exchanges suffices.
Sucks that Wonderboy didn't let his hands go either, but Tyron at least could have taken him to the ground , like he did extremely effectively once
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 15143

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
^ There's just so many levels of aggression between irrationally attacking Maia/following him to the ground, and how subdued Tyron was ..
As well as many levels between no strikes being thrown, and a blood bath -- a decent amount of exchanges suffices.
Sucks that Wonderboy didn't let his hands go either, but Tyron at least could have taken him to the ground , like he did extremely effectively once


striking plays right into Maia's hands. I think y'all are underestimating him. Striking and throwing lots of combinations will get you inherently off balance. Off balance = opportunity for a takedown. Woodley was smart for how he played it.

It'd be like if our Kobe/Shaq teams played today's Warriors and the commissioner got mad because we tried to dump the ball into the post instead of outshooting them. It just doesn't make sense from the standpoint of giving yourself the best chance to win the fight.

Can't get mad at him for taking less risk at the cost of entertainment. If I'm in the octagon I make the same choice as Woodley.
_________________
Blake Griffin's ankles beware....Randle is coming
The youngins are YOUNG, let them learn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 26000

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Woodley is so ridiculously strong, Maia couldn't get close to taking him down last night - on any type of advance, even when they met 'head up'
Woodley would have been fine IMO throwing strikes on balance, no kicks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 15143

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Woodley is so ridiculously strong, Maia couldn't get close to taking him down last night - on any type of advance, even when they met 'head up'
Woodley would have been fine IMO throwing strikes on balance, no kicks.


well that's exactly what happened lol. But people are still mad cuz he couldn't finish him with the strikes he was throwing. You're not gonna be able to throw more than a few punches in a combination before you have to stop and re-balance and get ready to sprawl for your life when Maia shoots in.

I just don't know if people were expecting him to assault Maia like Lawler did Cowboy in the first round. That was never going to happen and for good reason
_________________
Blake Griffin's ankles beware....Randle is coming
The youngins are YOUNG, let them learn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 15143

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

I'll say this too, what other champion besides Woodley consistently fights the #1 contenders in his division? Cormier was one and Jones the other. Everyone else ducks and goes for $$ fights. I guess you could throw DJ in there too.
_________________
Blake Griffin's ankles beware....Randle is coming
The youngins are YOUNG, let them learn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 22926

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Jon (bleep) Jones. Wow.


Props to soccer mom for lasting that long against Cyborg.


Woodley...I will never watch a card with this cat in it again.

Cowboy should have gotten the decision.


Dana destoryeddd Woodley in interviews after the fight.. Gave Bisping his GSP fight lmao. In his defense he said his shoulder was hurt.. idk, he always fights like this.... Not watching his fights either


Even if his shoulder was 100% the whole time I can't roll with y'all on this one. Woodley did exactly what he was supposed to to do. If he chases Maia on any of those exchanges it goes to the ground and it's game over.

If Dana wants a fight where Tyron will have big exchanges then book him against someone who has diverse game lol. Ironically GSP is (or at least was that). Can't blame him for not purposely playing into the hands of 1 dimensional fighters lol. Why would he try to outstrike Wonderboy? Why would he try to out grapple Maia? He refuses to let them dictate the terms. It's how you win the fight


Maia didn't have the ability to take him down, at all.. Woodley looked absolutely immovable to him. He could have safely had 50% less fear of attacking, if not 100%.. Maia had no chance
And he could have took Wonderboy down and pumbled him, like he did in Rd.1 of the first fight, but oddly never went for another take down..


60 punches over 25 minutes thrown total in that fight. 2.4 punches a minute. That's 1 punch every 25 seconds. It's one thing not to continue to press. It's another to continue to circle the cage with your back to it for periods of 20-30 seconds and doing NOTHING and throw a combo every half minute. That was garbage.
_________________
All Aboard the Paul George 2018 Train. CHOO CHOO!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 15143

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject:

JB, do you at least blame Maia too?
_________________
Blake Griffin's ankles beware....Randle is coming
The youngins are YOUNG, let them learn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 22926

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
JB, do you at least blame Maia too?


The thing with Maia is he's a one trick pony. He has nothing else in his toolbox. Shoot for the single leg. Shoot for the single leg. Throw a punch to set up another shoot for the single leg. Woodley is the total package. His striking is so explosive. I really think he could have put out Maia if he went for the kill. He's the one that chose to circle the entire fight.
_________________
All Aboard the Paul George 2018 Train. CHOO CHOO!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 15143

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
JB, do you at least blame Maia too?


The thing with Maia is he's a one trick pony. He has nothing else in his toolbox. Shoot for the single leg. Shoot for the single leg. Throw a punch to set up another shoot for the single leg. Woodley is the total package. His striking is so explosive. I really think he could have put out Maia if he went for the kill. He's the one that chose to circle the entire fight.


See that's the problem. If he tries to go for the kill and Maia is able to tangle him up it's pretty much over. Plus Maia is known for playing opossum. Toss in the shoulder problem Woodley says he had at the end of the first and it's even more justified. Cuz what Woodley did gave him the best chance to win. I can't fault him for that. If they wanted a more excited fight they should stop booking him against 1 trick ponies.

If either of the diaz brothers were interested in fighting again and decided to fight woodley you'd see him fight differently. he adapts to his opponent.
_________________
Blake Griffin's ankles beware....Randle is coming
The youngins are YOUNG, let them learn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 14351
Location: In a no-ship

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
JB, do you at least blame Maia too?


The thing with Maia is he's a one trick pony. He has nothing else in his toolbox. Shoot for the single leg. Shoot for the single leg. Throw a punch to set up another shoot for the single leg. Woodley is the total package. His striking is so explosive. I really think he could have put out Maia if he went for the kill. He's the one that chose to circle the entire fight.


See that's the problem. If he tries to go for the kill and Maia is able to tangle him up it's pretty much over. Plus Maia is known for playing opossum. Toss in the shoulder problem Woodley says he had at the end of the first and it's even more justified. Cuz what Woodley did gave him the best chance to win. I can't fault him for that. If they wanted a more excited fight they should stop booking him against 1 trick ponies.

If either of the diaz brothers were interested in fighting again and decided to fight woodley you'd see him fight differently. he adapts to his opponent.


You can't just not give Maia the fight. He'd won a ton in a row and was the clear cut number one contender.

I do fault Woodley though. He's well within his rights to circle, not engage, and win a safe fight on points. And the fans are well within their rights to refuse to watch and pay for that garbage. This is prize fighting, not the Olympics. He has to understand that if he wants to get paid and fight on important cards, he has to do more than just win. He's not a GSP with an entire country behind him that buys anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 15143

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
22 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
JB, do you at least blame Maia too?


The thing with Maia is he's a one trick pony. He has nothing else in his toolbox. Shoot for the single leg. Shoot for the single leg. Throw a punch to set up another shoot for the single leg. Woodley is the total package. His striking is so explosive. I really think he could have put out Maia if he went for the kill. He's the one that chose to circle the entire fight.


See that's the problem. If he tries to go for the kill and Maia is able to tangle him up it's pretty much over. Plus Maia is known for playing opossum. Toss in the shoulder problem Woodley says he had at the end of the first and it's even more justified. Cuz what Woodley did gave him the best chance to win. I can't fault him for that. If they wanted a more excited fight they should stop booking him against 1 trick ponies.

If either of the diaz brothers were interested in fighting again and decided to fight woodley you'd see him fight differently. he adapts to his opponent.


You can't just not give Maia the fight. He'd won a ton in a row and was the clear cut number one contender.

I do fault Woodley though. He's well within his rights to circle, not engage, and win a safe fight on points. And the fans are well within their rights to refuse to watch and pay for that garbage. This is prize fighting, not the Olympics. He has to understand that if he wants to get paid and fight on important cards, he has to do more than just win. He's not a GSP with an entire country behind him that buys anything.

That's where I disagree with y'all and the masses I'd say. To me the beauty is in the details. And I was on the edge of my seat from start to finish in that fight. I loved the techniques Woodley was using to thwart the best Jits guy ever in the octagon. Cruz commentary did a good job explaining everything as well.

Anyway I know I'm in the minority, but I'll never blame a guy for taking the best strategy to win. It's the whole fighter vs entertainer debate. I like fighting for the skill moreso than the gore so it was very enjoyable for me.
_________________
Blake Griffin's ankles beware....Randle is coming
The youngins are YOUNG, let them learn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 14351
Location: In a no-ship

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
22 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
JB, do you at least blame Maia too?


The thing with Maia is he's a one trick pony. He has nothing else in his toolbox. Shoot for the single leg. Shoot for the single leg. Throw a punch to set up another shoot for the single leg. Woodley is the total package. His striking is so explosive. I really think he could have put out Maia if he went for the kill. He's the one that chose to circle the entire fight.


See that's the problem. If he tries to go for the kill and Maia is able to tangle him up it's pretty much over. Plus Maia is known for playing opossum. Toss in the shoulder problem Woodley says he had at the end of the first and it's even more justified. Cuz what Woodley did gave him the best chance to win. I can't fault him for that. If they wanted a more excited fight they should stop booking him against 1 trick ponies.

If either of the diaz brothers were interested in fighting again and decided to fight woodley you'd see him fight differently. he adapts to his opponent.


You can't just not give Maia the fight. He'd won a ton in a row and was the clear cut number one contender.

I do fault Woodley though. He's well within his rights to circle, not engage, and win a safe fight on points. And the fans are well within their rights to refuse to watch and pay for that garbage. This is prize fighting, not the Olympics. He has to understand that if he wants to get paid and fight on important cards, he has to do more than just win. He's not a GSP with an entire country behind him that buys anything.

That's where I disagree with y'all and the masses I'd say. To me the beauty is in the details. And I was on the edge of my seat from start to finish in that fight. I loved the techniques Woodley was using to thwart the best Jits guy ever in the octagon. Cruz commentary did a good job explaining everything as well.

Anyway I know I'm in the minority, but I'll never blame a guy for taking the best strategy to win. It's the whole fighter vs entertainer debate. I like fighting for the skill moreso than the gore so it was very enjoyable for me.


I don't think it's about blaming the guy. You are in the minority if you found that interesting, and he has to understand that his paycheck depends on entertaining the majority of the fans. It is what it is. I'm sure he's not losing any sleep at night in any case.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 15143

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Yeah he's def not losing any sleep lol. People can boo all they want but he's still the champ
_________________
Blake Griffin's ankles beware....Randle is coming
The youngins are YOUNG, let them learn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 22926

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
22 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
JB, do you at least blame Maia too?


The thing with Maia is he's a one trick pony. He has nothing else in his toolbox. Shoot for the single leg. Shoot for the single leg. Throw a punch to set up another shoot for the single leg. Woodley is the total package. His striking is so explosive. I really think he could have put out Maia if he went for the kill. He's the one that chose to circle the entire fight.


See that's the problem. If he tries to go for the kill and Maia is able to tangle him up it's pretty much over. Plus Maia is known for playing opossum. Toss in the shoulder problem Woodley says he had at the end of the first and it's even more justified. Cuz what Woodley did gave him the best chance to win. I can't fault him for that. If they wanted a more excited fight they should stop booking him against 1 trick ponies.

If either of the diaz brothers were interested in fighting again and decided to fight woodley you'd see him fight differently. he adapts to his opponent.


You can't just not give Maia the fight. He'd won a ton in a row and was the clear cut number one contender.

I do fault Woodley though. He's well within his rights to circle, not engage, and win a safe fight on points. And the fans are well within their rights to refuse to watch and pay for that garbage. This is prize fighting, not the Olympics. He has to understand that if he wants to get paid and fight on important cards, he has to do more than just win. He's not a GSP with an entire country behind him that buys anything.

That's where I disagree with y'all and the masses I'd say. To me the beauty is in the details. And I was on the edge of my seat from start to finish in that fight. I loved the techniques Woodley was using to thwart the best Jits guy ever in the octagon. Cruz commentary did a good job explaining everything as well.

Anyway I know I'm in the minority, but I'll never blame a guy for taking the best strategy to win. It's the whole fighter vs entertainer debate. I like fighting for the skill moreso than the gore so it was very enjoyable for me.


That's fair. IIRC, you train right? You probably see it in a different way than I (or probably every other guy in this thread does...my 1 free week at Art of Jiu-Jitsu withstanding ).

With all that said...Jon Jones had everything to lose and could have kept distand and peppered DC and pointed his way to a champion. Instead he set up that head kick with body kicks and went for broke. The GOAT BABY!
_________________
All Aboard the Paul George 2018 Train. CHOO CHOO!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 26000

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject:

I want to see Gastelum v Woodley again. I think this improved, older version of Gastelum has the best shot to beat TWood. Dana said there's a good chance Lawler is next up for the shot; but I wasn't super impressed by him vs Cowboy. He completely took round 2 off, said he got tired

Masvidal v Wonderboy should be a great fight in the upcoming months in that division
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 410, 411, 412, 413, 414  Next
Page 411 of 414
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB