Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 411, 412, 413, 414  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 15143

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:


That's fair. IIRC, you train right? You probably see it in a different way than I (or probably every other guy in this thread does...my 1 free week at Art of Jiu-Jitsu withstanding ).

With all that said...Jon Jones had everything to lose and could have kept distand and peppered DC and pointed his way to a champion. Instead he set up that head kick with body kicks and went for broke. The GOAT BABY!


Yeah but obviously I'm no where near as killed as any of these guys or guys on the undercard

Yeah Jones is def the GOAT forsure! What a great fight! But the 2 situations are a bit different because Cormier isn't nearly the threat on the ground that Maia is. You can fight him straight up.

I think the entertainment factor of Woodley's fights will be dictated moreso by who he fights than himself

I'd like to see Wonderboy vs Maia now to see which specialist's style wins out
_________________
Blake Griffin's ankles beware....Randle is coming
The youngins are YOUNG, let them learn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 10585
Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject:

Got to hand it to Jones. Dude is one unbelievable and amazing talent. Possibly the best MMA fighter of all time. I've never seen DC in such great shape and Jones, despite the fight being even on most people's cards heading into the 3rd, was just setting him up the whole time. He just gives you so much to think about. That continual peppering of oblique kicks is like a boxer with the best and strongest jab in the business. It just halts his opponents and makes them have to reset. And then he's just so dangerous with each of his limbs that there's a potential KO waiting for you at all times, from every direction. Oh yeah AND he can take you to the mat with ease and bludgeon you mercilessly.

All that being said, I think DC brought out the best in Jones. He's probably never been more focused and alert. His defense, movement and octagon generalship was just beautiful. Masterful performance. I think he knows that too and why he was so respectful to Cormier afterward.

Really don't want to see him fight Lesnar. There's enough spectacle going on already. Would LOVE to see him fight Cain. But that'll never happen.

And, regarding Woodley ...

He's claiming he tore his labrum in the first round. He's sustained the injury before so he says he knows what it feels like, has already seen a doctor and is getting a second opinion before deciding on surgery. He's also threatened to leak some stuff about Dana and the UFC unless he gets a public apology:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7tQZuxuA98
_________________
Magic and Jeannie: you are now on the clock.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 15143

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject:

Wonderboy said Maia is too boring for him to fight and wants Masvidal
_________________
Blake Griffin's ankles beware....Randle is coming
The youngins are YOUNG, let them learn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 10585
Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Wonderboy said Maia is too boring for him to fight and wants Masvidal


Who can blame him? He just came off a snoozer too in his last fight with Woodley.

Masvidal makes for a great match up.
_________________
Magic and Jeannie: you are now on the clock.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 15143

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:
Wonderboy said Maia is too boring for him to fight and wants Masvidal


Who can blame him? He just came off a snoozer too in his last fight with Woodley.

Masvidal makes for a great match up.


Yeah I'd like to see that. You know what else? I'd like to see that guy who KO'd Manuwa vs Cormier next, but I feel DC may retire.
_________________
Blake Griffin's ankles beware....Randle is coming
The youngins are YOUNG, let them learn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 10585
Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:
Wonderboy said Maia is too boring for him to fight and wants Masvidal


Who can blame him? He just came off a snoozer too in his last fight with Woodley.

Masvidal makes for a great match up.


Yeah I'd like to see that. You know what else? I'd like to see that guy who KO'd Manuwa vs Cormier next, but I feel DC may retire.


I wouldn't be surprised to see DC retire. He's 39 and there was only one mountain left for him to climb and it just gymkata'd his noggin back to sea level.

I think that Volkan is most likely the next Light Heavy in line for JJ brought probably not until after a big money fight first. DC's legacy has nowhere to go but down in any fight hereafter, IMO.
_________________
Magic and Jeannie: you are now on the clock.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
22
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 15143

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:
Wonderboy said Maia is too boring for him to fight and wants Masvidal


Who can blame him? He just came off a snoozer too in his last fight with Woodley.

Masvidal makes for a great match up.


Yeah I'd like to see that. You know what else? I'd like to see that guy who KO'd Manuwa vs Cormier next, but I feel DC may retire.


I wouldn't be surprised to see DC retire. He's 39 and there was only one mountain left for him to climb and it just gymkata'd his noggin back to sea level.

I think that Volkan is most likely the next Light Heavy in line for JJ brought probably not until after a big money fight first. DC's legacy has nowhere to go but down in any fight hereafter, IMO.


Agreed. Unless he moved to heavyweight and won the title there, DC's legacy is pretty much cemented.

How bout Volkan vs Gustuffson for #1 contender while Jones gets his money match?
_________________
Blake Griffin's ankles beware....Randle is coming
The youngins are YOUNG, let them learn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Mar 2012
Posts: 13649

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Holy (bleep) Jon Jones got busted for roids.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 22926

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject:

And...Jone Jones got popped for steroids.

http://www.tmz.com/?_escaped_fragment_=article/2017/08/22/jon-jones-tests-fails-drug-test-steroids-ufc-214-cormier-title-stripped/#!article/2017/08/22/jon-jones-tests-fails-drug-test-steroids-ufc-214-cormier-title-stripped/


This freaking sucks but I found it lauaghable that some people actually bought the "tainted supplements" excuse. As someone that's in and around the supplement industry with friends that own a chain of stores and is around meatheads in general...it was so obvious.
_________________
All Aboard the Paul George 2018 Train. CHOO CHOO!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
shortodom
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Sep 2004
Posts: 4398

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Holy (bleep) Jon Jones got busted for roids.


Dang it you beat me to it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Mar 2012
Posts: 13649

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Stripped of his title.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Mar 2012
Posts: 13649

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Yeah it was Turinabol, a legit anabolic steroid. Says a lot about DC, that he was going toe-to-toe with JJ up until the end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Posts: 12666

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject:

I was surprised UFC would give Jon a title shot right off the suspension. I know it was the money fight, but at least give him another warm up or two to see if he is passing these drug tests. This just taints the title. Wouldn't be shocked if they just give him another title shot when ever he is eligible to fight again. Which may be a very long time from now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 14351
Location: In a no-ship

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

I feel terrible for DC
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 22926

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
I was surprised UFC would give Jon a title shot right off the suspension. I know it was the money fight, but at least give him another warm up or two to see if he is passing these drug tests. This just taints the title. Wouldn't be shocked if they just give him another title shot when ever he is eligible to fight again. Which may be a very long time from now.


Minimum 2 now right? Or is it more...?
_________________
All Aboard the Paul George 2018 Train. CHOO CHOO!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 14351
Location: In a no-ship

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject:

So last fight has to be a no-contest right? Do they give DC the title back, Aldo-style?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 26000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
eureca wrote:
I was surprised UFC would give Jon a title shot right off the suspension. I know it was the money fight, but at least give him another warm up or two to see if he is passing these drug tests. This just taints the title. Wouldn't be shocked if they just give him another title shot when ever he is eligible to fight again. Which may be a very long time from now.


Minimum 2 now right? Or is it more...?


Ya 2 years minimum , 2-4.

Dis tew much
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
audioaxes
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 9131

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject:

insanity... why would Jones do this???
_________________
tank.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 22926

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
insanity... why would Jones do this???


He might have felt he needed it. Up until the head kick, I had it ever so slihgtly in favor of DC withh Jones gaining steam. Who knows the results if he wasn't juiced to the (bleep).
_________________
All Aboard the Paul George 2018 Train. CHOO CHOO!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Ted
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 3192

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
insanity... why would Jones do this???


He took two years off, probably felt he needed it to beat DC. Steroids in training camp helped him gain more endurance and more muscle. Without the roids, he might not have enough energy to throw that high kick to DC's head let alone with that much force to knock him silly. And just think about those hammer fists raining down on DC's head knowing those were roid punches... feel bad for DC.

Oh JJ, what a (bleep) cheating scumbag you are. It's one thing to cheat in basketball or football, but in the fight game that's life or death. He probably caused some serious damage to DC's brain.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 3223

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
insanity... why would Jones do this???


He took two years off, probably felt he needed it to beat DC. Steroids in training camp helped him gain more endurance and more muscle. Without the roids, he might not have enough energy to throw that high kick to DC's head let alone with that much force to knock him silly. And just think about those hammer fists raining down on DC's head knowing those were roid punches... feel bad for DC.

Oh JJ, what a (bleep) cheating scumbag you are. It's one thing to cheat in basketball or football, but in the fight game that's life or death. He probably caused some serious damage to DC's brain.


If proven guilty
DC should sue his sorry was for all the title money
Idc if Jones might still have won...

I've taken weak pro hormones androstendione? Same McGuire took
I was 28-29.. I felt 15 in my e energy levels and could push forever in the gym

Horrible cheater should be banned from UFC for life

I hope jones doesn't keep the purse?
_________________
Nobody knew Health Care could be so complicated.. Thank you Obama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlOo1QNmHAI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Mar 2012
Posts: 13649

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject:

DC very classy in addressing this:

Quote:
“It's hard to find words to describe how I'm feeling right now,” Cormier said. “I'm disappointed to hear the news. It's very emotional.

“We as athletes are entitled to due process, and I will refrain from saying much more until I know exactly what happened.

“In my mind, on July 29, I competed and I lost. I thought Jon Jones was the better man that day. I don't know what to think anymore. I can’t believe we are going through all of this again. We will see what happens next.

“Thank you to all my fans who have supported me during this dark time. I love you all very much.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Ted
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 3192

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Ted wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
insanity... why would Jones do this???


He took two years off, probably felt he needed it to beat DC. Steroids in training camp helped him gain more endurance and more muscle. Without the roids, he might not have enough energy to throw that high kick to DC's head let alone with that much force to knock him silly. And just think about those hammer fists raining down on DC's head knowing those were roid punches... feel bad for DC.

Oh JJ, what a (bleep) cheating scumbag you are. It's one thing to cheat in basketball or football, but in the fight game that's life or death. He probably caused some serious damage to DC's brain.


If proven guilty
DC should sue his sorry was for all the title money
Idc if Jones might still have won...

I've taken weak pro hormones androstendione? Same McGuire took
I was 28-29.. I felt 15 in my e energy levels and could push forever in the gym

Horrible cheater should be banned from UFC for life

I hope jones doesn't keep the purse?


His entire career is tarnished. He had to cheat to beat DC both times. DC the true champ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 10585
Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject:

All that class he showed during his octagon interview really rings hollow now.

As fo DC who rag dolled heavyweights, must be a very sad and frustrating time to just be flat out cheated out of establishing his legacy.

UFC very close to dangerous grounds if all this continues.
_________________
Magic and Jeannie: you are now on the clock.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 11 Oct 2012
Posts: 26000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/6vfpgf/new_turinabol_test_increases_window_of_detection/
Testing for the steroid he popped for was recently increased.. got emmmm

Stipe vs. Jones was in the works. Dana said Stipe is devastated.. FRRRCK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 411, 412, 413, 414  Next
Page 412 of 414
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB