Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 373, 374, 375 ... 497, 498, 499  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Holy hell, Jon Jones is JACKED! Every report prior was that this freak of an athlete would let him self go, never train and just do a camp before fights. He was rag-dolling an Olympian with that routine.

Now look at a motivated Bones:

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/11/19/9760304/pic-jon-jones-startling-before-and-after-photo-teases-april-23-return-ufc

Wow, he was skinny fat out of camp before.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
I'm not sure how good her BJJ is.

that just sounds soo wrong...LOL
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Waiting to see if there will be Mayweather vs Pacquiao type hype leading up to the Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm rematch.

I don't think anything will get that big for a while.

Me either. I'm talking will they attempt that kind of hype.

for sure.

I wonder what Ronda's game plan is going to be? take her down? in the first fight.. ronda tried.. and Holm took ronda down.. it must have been disheartening for rousey. Olympic judo champion couldn't take Holm down..

Clinch didn't really work either. pretty even exchanges. But Holm's striking was exponentially higher than Rouseys.. Holm flat out embarrassed Rousey. It was a clinic.

The length of Holmes to go with strength and power that surprised Rousey is still going to pose a serious challenge for the former champion. Holm also showed nice foot work and balance throughout the fight (including in clinches).

Holm should be working on adding a jab (which I can't remember her using with any degree of regularity) because that would be a weapon that will help her in a rematch. I don't think Rousey likes being hit. Seemed to take a lot out of her emotionally.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Waiting to see if there will be Mayweather vs Pacquiao type hype leading up to the Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm rematch.

for sure.

I wonder what Ronda's game plan is going to be? take her down? in the first fight.. ronda tried.. and Holm took ronda down.. it must have been disheartening for rousey. Olympic judo champion couldn't take Holm down..

Clinch didn't really work either. pretty even exchanges. But Holm's striking was exponentially higher than Rouseys.. Holm flat out embarrassed Rousey. It was a clinic.

She can't leave it standing. She needs to go for the takedown or pull guard. She has trained with the Gracie's but I'm not sure how good her BJJ is.

Even if her BJJ was good, BJJ kind of sucks for takedowns.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
jodeke wrote:

for sure.

She can't leave it standing. She needs to go for the takedown or pull guard. She has trained with the Gracie's but I'm not sure how good her BJJ is.

that's where her judo was supposed to be a factor.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
jodeke wrote:

for sure.

True but that was based on what everyone had seen from her competition. She could walk through a punch to get body to body to clinch for the take down. No one knew Holm had that kind of power, precision and footwork. This isn't on Ronda. Ronda's skillset is what it is. Aldo said it best "[Male] athletes aren’t separated by one martial art only, like ‘I’m a judoka and I only catch arms’. There’s no such thing as this one who survives. ". I'm not making this a m/f thing but just pointing out that she was demolishing her division with what she had and it was enough. Until she met Holly and it wasn't.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
jodeke wrote:

for sure.

Not if she can't close the gap.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject:

I agree with the above on Ronda trying to close the gap, but there is a part of me too that feels her and her camp underestimated just how good Holly's striking was.

I wonder if they were that arrogant or naive that they actually thought they good go out there and trade with Holly a little bit.

To be fair, Greg Jackson & Holly came with a great game plan and they executed to perfection.

Does anyone feel at this point that Ronda could win a rematch? I sure as hell don't.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject:

http://www.bjpenn.com/mmanews/watch-firas-zahabi-breaks-down-holm-vs-rousey/

here's a good break down by GSP's coach.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
I agree with the above on Ronda trying to close the gap, but there is a part of me too that feels her and her camp underestimated just how good Holly's striking was.

I wonder if they were that arrogant or naive that they actually thought they good go out there and trade with Holly a little bit.

To be fair, Greg Jackson & Holly came with a great game plan and they executed to perfection.

Does anyone feel at this point that Ronda could win a rematch? I sure as hell don't.

I think she could win a rematch if she feels sufficiently humbled and realizes that she must get a takedown or clinch without walking through punishment.

Most stand-up fighters defend a shooting takedown with a sprawl, which would play into Ronda's Judo. But Ronda needs to fully accept that she is completely and utterly outclassed on the feet.

And she needs to fire her useless trainers.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:
jodeke wrote:

for sure.

Not if she can't close the gap.

When did this thread get NSFW?
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Moses wrote:

I think she could win a rematch if she feels sufficiently humbled and realizes that she must get a takedown or clinch without walking through punishment.

Most stand-up fighters defend a shooting takedown with a sprawl, which would play into Ronda's Judo. But Ronda needs to fully accept that she is completely and utterly outclassed on the feet.

And she needs to fire her useless trainers.

100% agreed on the trainers too, the message he gave her in between rounds, beautiful work, all she wants to do is come with that left hand etc... was a joke. Naive really considering they were facing a world class kick-boxer. Holly was doing well backing off and forcing Ronda to come in, reverse the script, make her come to you, don't be predictable, try to force them to change what they're doing so it plays in to what you want to do.

To be honest, that approach would've helped, but Ronda looked out of her depth from the moment the first stiff jab landed. She didn't like being hit, and charged around like a bull in a china shop, which to a capable counter striker who also has a quickness advantage is a recipe for disaster. You come forward into the range of a kickboxer, or any capable counter striker for that matter, you better be ready for what comes next.

Holly also did a great job of keeping distance with her movement, landing her left, and that push kick that she had some success with. She was super comfortable finding her range as Ronda kept coming towards her.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Kings MMA coach: Ronda Rousey is 'more than welcome' to train at Kings MMA

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/11/27/9807822/rafael-cordeiro-welcomes-ronda-rousey-at-kings-mma-mma-news

This would be amazing: Dos Anjos and Werdum have become pretty amazing strikers after working there.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/11/27/9807822/rafael-cordeiro-welcomes-ronda-rousey-at-kings-mma-mma-news

This would be amazing: Dos Anjos and Werdum have become pretty amazing strikers after working there.

Isn't that Cyborg's camp?
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Isn't that Cyborg's camp?

No. In the article:

Quote:
"Cris trained with me a long time ago. As soon as I moved to the United States eight years ago, she came and worked with me for maybe six months and then she went back to Brazil, but I don't train her anymore. I believe Cyborg can be the greatest of all time. This is what I believe. But the way I train, the way I see things, maybe is not the same way she does. I see her with the same respect, but I don't have more connections with her."
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Aldo vs. McGregor tomorrow. Who you got?

I still feel Aldo will win even though he seems like the underdog now. At least according to the betting lines.

The weigh-ins
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Aldo the underdog?
I don't know, McGregor is good, but he makes a lot of mistakes. In his last fight he was pretty beat up early on. Aldo doesn't seem like a guy who'll fall into that trap of going toe to toe with Conner.

Gonna be a great fight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject:

I like McGregor, but Aldo is going to kick his ass. He should out-class him.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Holy hell - tomorrow's fight card is stacked. Don't forget that there's still Mendes vs Edgar tonight, which is a really awesome fight.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Aldo is fighting on a 14 month layoff.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject:

It's an insane 3 days of mma. Last night was Fight Pass. Had a few good fights. Tonight is Ultimate Fighter finale. Edgar/Mendez is on free TV (Fox Sports 1) if anyone is interested. That's an amazing free fight. Tomorrow is the big one!
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject:

I can't stand Edgar.. but dang.. the dude is good.. Mendes is no slouch.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
I can't stand Edgar.. but dang.. the dude is good.. Mendes is no slouch.

If Connor loses tonight, I could see him being matched up against Frankie (unless they decided to throw a cream puff at him). Would be a very tough fight for him, as Edgar is a great striker, and an excellent wrestler.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject:

What a beating Rockhold put on Weidman. Just wow. Herb Dean should have ended it sooner for Weidman's sake.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject:

What a bad mistake going for that wheel kick. He still might have lost though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 373, 374, 375 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 374 of 499
Jump to: