Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 387, 388, 389 ... 497, 498, 499  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Surprised Brock won. I'm sure UFC is seeing money signs right now. Brock's career probably over with a loss. They might even give him a title shot now.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
Surprised Brock won. I'm sure UFC is seeing money signs right now. Brock's career probably over with a loss. They might even give him a title shot now.

Pretty sure Brock won't be back in the octagon. But even if this was the end for him, it took a lot of guts to come back after getting crushed by Cain and Overeem, to face the best striker in the division (and a top-10 guy) after 5 years of no competition. I have to respect that.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Brock is a hell of an athlete. He really just came in there, 5 years without fighting, got in great conditioning and beat Hunt convincingly.

Major props to him. His stand up still sucks, and why he won't be able to hang with guys like Cain, Dos Santos, Stipe etc. but he should be able to beat most of the rest of the guys.

I do think that if this conditioning Brock fought current Reem, he would give him a heck of a fight. He looked more explosive and smarter with how shooted for the take down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Brock is a hell of an athlete. He really just came in there, 5 years without fighting, got in great conditioning and beat Hunt convincingly.

Major props to him. His stand up still sucks, and why he won't be able to hang with guys like Cain, Dos Santos, Stipe etc. but he should be able to beat most of the rest of the guys.

I do think that if this conditioning Brock fought current Reem, he would give him a heck of a fight. He looked more explosive and smarter with how shooted for the take down.

Agree with everything you said.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Also, he passed 6 drug tests leading up to this fight so dude was clean as far as we know.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:

Yeah, not possible. His WWE contract allowed for just one UFC fight. He's on contract for two more years.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
eureca wrote:

Yeah, not possible. His WWE contract allowed for just one UFC fight. He's on contract for two more years.

From my understanding his contract allowed for no UFC fights. He got the WWE to agree to this. Yea they may not let him do this again but it could happen.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
eureca wrote:

From my understanding his contract allowed for no UFC fights. He got the WWE to agree to this. Yea they may not let him do this again but it could happen.

The WWE is seeing dollar signs after this. Brock just proved he's an absolutely unbeatable beast in a real fight, and they're going to hype that to hell in their storylines.

This turned out to be a good partnership for both the UFC and WWE.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Well there goes Rousey/Tate 3.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Damn...Miesha got destroyed there.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Jesus, Nunes made Tate look like a total can. What a beastly performance!
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
eureca wrote:

No, it was a "one-off" type thing in his contract.

Quote:
unique deal struck between the UFC and the WWE allowed former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar to make his return to mixed martial arts competition at the landmark UFC 200 event. Though Lensar is still under contract with the pro-wrestling organization, he was allowed to compete in a "one-off" fight for the UFC because of certain circumstances, including the fact that UFC 200 is targeted to be the biggest event in UFC history.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject:

I think this makes Nunes the first openly-gay UFC champion and probably the only openly-gay champion/MVP in any sport. Pretty cool for the UFC.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject:

I think Brock should retire unless he wants to be a big event once a year type of guy, who fights guys more in Hunt's class than the top 4 of Stipe, Cain, Santos etc. There are a few guys who would still beat him easily, IMO. I mean I was really impressed by what he did. He avoided getting beat up in stand up action and waited it out to get his chances to go for a strong takedown. If he had this against Cain/Reem he would have been able to go a few rounds and who knows what happens with that. But in general his stand up is still so weak I can't see him challenge the top 3 guys in HW on a consistent basis. Best bet for him would be to keep doing once a year fights and preparing at peak condition, against guys just below the top 3 HW. Pick his match ups wisely. He makes money, UFC makes money, and WWE looks golden as well. Just like they did tonight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Oh and Amanda looked great. Totally destroyed Tate.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
eureca wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
eureca wrote:

Quote:
unique deal struck between the UFC and the WWE allowed former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar to make his return to mixed martial arts competition at the landmark UFC 200 event. Though Lensar is still under contract with the pro-wrestling organization, he was allowed to compete in a "one-off" fight for the UFC because of certain circumstances, including the fact that UFC 200 is targeted to be the biggest event in UFC history.

I don't see it mentioned it was in his contract. This is what I read.

Quote:
WWE president Vince McMahon gave Lesnar permission to fight in the UFC despite being under exclusive contract to the promotion and he was very thankful for that opportunity.

Quote:
Stephanie McMahon says WWE gave Brock Lesnar permission to fight at UFC 200 but they aren't really supporting the fight.

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/ufc-stephanie-mcmahon-brock-lesnar-wwe-isn-t-promoting-ahead-of-ufc-200-063016

However yea it might be a one time thing. At least for now.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
eureca wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
eureca wrote:

Quote:

I don't see it mentioned it was in his contract. This is what I read.

Quote:
WWE president Vince McMahon gave Lesnar permission to fight in the UFC despite being under exclusive contract to the promotion and he was very thankful for that opportunity.

Quote:
Stephanie McMahon says WWE gave Brock Lesnar permission to fight at UFC 200 but they aren't really supporting the fight.

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/ufc-stephanie-mcmahon-brock-lesnar-wwe-isn-t-promoting-ahead-of-ufc-200-063016

However yea it might be a one time thing. At least for now.

UFC did them a solid and promoted SummerSlam and the WWE video game. Lesnar looks like more of an unstoppable beast, and WWE promoted UFC 200. Win-win for all parties.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject:

All in all a bit of a disappointing card.

Liked Aldo v Edgar, thought Jose looked great.

Brock v Hunt was ok too, a little boring, but not terrible.

Nunes v Tate was the best moment of the night. As someone who doesn't like Tate I really enjoyed that.

The big let down for me was DC v Silva. Firstly because it should've been Jones, secondly because it went pretty much how someone could've predicted on that the bigger wrestler DC just took him down and laid on him for large stretches of the fight, which for the fans is really boring.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
I think this makes Nunes the first openly-gay UFC champion and probably the only openly-gay champion/MVP in any sport. Pretty cool for the UFC.

I'm guessing you are under 20 years old?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:05 am    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

No. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject:

I didn't realize Anderson just had surgery a couple months ago.. good on him for taking the fight. I'm sure it was a big pay day too..
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
I didn't realize Anderson just had surgery a couple months ago.. good on him for taking the fight. I'm sure it was a big pay day too..

Just a shame it was SO boring. DC literally was content to just lay on him. Didn't look at all like finishing the fight, still think DC isn't even that good.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject:

poor Miesha! Women's MMA is really starting to look good. Joanna is a great champ, her fight was awesome. And the Bantomweight division is sooo stacked. Supposedly Nunes was thought of as the next big thing when she first entered the UFC, she's finally realizing her potential - she looks like a super beast.

Brock looked amazing. Sounds like he's going to continue fighting in the UFC, can't wait.
Aldo looked big as hell, he probably found the steroid needle again - but his defense was super impressive in itself. Wanted Frankie to win.
Comier's fight ended up being so disappointing. I hope Jones isn't out for 2 years. Need to see that fight.
Glad Dillashaw won, interesting to see who he fights next.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Amanda nunes looks like she's on steroids.
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

I don't get it. What was so bad about that?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 387, 388, 389 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 388 of 499
Jump to: