Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 397, 398, 399 ... 497, 498, 499  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject:

what's crazy.. is that she's a world class judo champion.. throw nunes to the ground and go for the arm!

she said its one of her last fights..which I believe. fighters don't stop fighting when they're paid 3 million dollars for 48 seconds.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
what's crazy.. is that she's a world class judo champion.. throw nunes to the ground and go for the arm!

she said its one of her last fights..which I believe. fighters don't stop fighting when they're paid 3 million dollars for 48 seconds.

the field might have figured out the MO to beat her, be an elite striker before she can ground you
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:

Not to be a dick but people really have to stop saying this. She did what she ALWAYS does. She eats punches on her way in, in every single one of her fights. She's always done this. The difference is fighting former accountants that joined an MMA gym to lose weight 5 years ago like Bethe Correia with Trex arms versus a chick that punches like a dude. She did try to take down Nunes. Twice. She got her face punched in and looked like a rank amateur now that the field has caught up and in some cases far exceeded her.

She didn't "decide" to go toe to toe with anyone. She was forced to go toe to toe. Huge difference. If you don't wrestle and shoot, how do you take someone down? You eat punches on your way to a clinch. Good luck with that strategy in this day and age. "Just take her down"...is such silliness. It's just that easy...

https://oddshot.tv/shot/Uzqca3xmca1FrLoqGZNbZHKB

4:40 mark she eats a punch and tried to clinch for the toss. There's another attempt later on but she's clearly wobbled going in.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

Not to be (bleep) but people really have to stop saying this. She did what she ALWAYS does. She eats punches on her way in, in every single one of her fights. She's always done this. The difference is fighting former accountants that joined an MMA gym to lose weight 5 years ago like Bethe Correia with Trex arms versus a chick that punches like a dude. She did try to take down Nunes. Twice. She got her face punched in and looked like a rank amateur now that the field has caught up and in some cases far exceeded her.

She didn't "decide" to go toe to toe with anyone. She was forced to go toe to toe. Huge difference. If you don't wrestle and shoot, how do you take someone down? You eat punches on your way to a clinch. Good luck with that strategy in this day and age. "Just take her down"...is such silliness. It's just that easy...

4:40 mark she eats a punch and tried to clinch for the toss. There's another attempt later on but she's clearly wobbled going in.

Also its a realization that women's MMA is going to be much more professional and made up of fighters who live and breathe the sport from childhood to adult. No more fly by night fights by girls who picked up the sport only a couple of years ago. Look at all the pioneers who are not longer fighting in the MMA because the sport has advanced past their skill set.

Last edited by lakersken80 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject:

Great stoppage by Herb Dean. Glad Ronda lost.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

Not to be (bleep) but people really have to stop saying this. She did what she ALWAYS does. She eats punches on her way in, in every single one of her fights. She's always done this. The difference is fighting former accountants that joined an MMA gym to lose weight 5 years ago like Bethe Correia with Trex arms versus a chick that punches like a dude. She did try to take down Nunes. Twice. She got her face punched in and looked like a rank amateur now that the field has caught up and in some cases far exceeded her.

Also its a realization that women's MMA is going to be much more professional and made up of fighters who live and breathe the sport from childhood to adult. No more fly by night flights by girls who picked up the sport only a couple of years ago. Look at all the pioneers who are not longer fighting in the MMA because the sport has advanced past their skill set.

sounds right. Ronda is one of the best fighter now, not the only best fighter and in the upper echelon fighter group... she's 0-2
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Yessir. Gotta hand it to you, my man. You called this long ago, especially after the Correia fight - that epic line about her having all the athleticism of a middle school badminton player still makes me laugh. And that's precisely what the past two Rousey fights have painfully shown. Last night was even worse than Gracie vs Hughes. But it similarly put the eras in perspective.

I really feel like Rousey's camp did her an unbelievable disservice inking this deal, let alone allowing her to go through with it. Even Dana should have known this was the likely outcome. She could have made millions taking a far safer tuneup. That's honestly why I suspected a fix might be going down because I honestly saw no way Ronda could win. That monster right of Nunes was always going to land at some point and I think most knew that when that happened, Ronda was going to be transformed into a heavy bag swinging on a chain. This fight should have never been made.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Despite what Dana White says, I think she's done....the signs are there....she doesn't show up for the press conferences before and after the fight, which pretty much means she is disrespecting the competition and her sport. She got her big paydays, and she suffered 2 losses which exposed her lack of skills. She probably wants to move on to her next career and start a family as well.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject:

I get occasionally irritated by Joe Rogan, but must admit I laughed when the replay of the Nunes finish was on and he said "Ronda got lit up like a Christmas tree"

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
22 wrote:

I think losing so badly will affect her acting career too. She's not that great at it. Most of her value to a film came from her mystique and persona.

She's a rube. What mystique and persona?

savage
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Despite what Dana White says, I think she's done....the signs are there....she doesn't show up for the press conferences before and after the fight, which pretty much means she is disrespecting the competition and her sport. She got her big paydays, and she suffered 2 losses which exposed her lack of skills. She probably wants to move on to her next career and start a family as well.

Is he trying to leave a door cracked open? If so, I didn't catch it. That's a laughable notion at this point, sadly. She's just endured two of the most brutal beat downs anyone's witnessed in women's combat sports.

Maybe it's out of respect to Ronda to offer a face save, albeit a weak one. Listen to Nunes on this one, "Yeah, she's retired. What's she going to do? The same thing will happen."
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Ya to Judo throw someone, you have to walk into the clinch and eat punches on the way. She should have developed traditional mma/wrestling takedowns - double leg takedowns. But she never evolved with the sport..
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Ronda's a wrestler. She got severely beaten by two boxers. If she decides to fight again I hope her trainers understand she has to wrestle. She's better on the canvas. Her boxing skills are non existent.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject:

she ain't fighting again. that would be insanity on her part
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Rousey's problem is that Taverdyan is a horrible trainer. She has the tools to much better than she is. If she wants to continue fighting, she needs to find a real camp.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Ya to Judo throw someone, you have to walk into the clinch and eat punches on the way. She should have developed traditional mma/wrestling takedowns - double leg takedowns. But she never evolved with the sport..

You're right about traditional take downs, but to an even more basic level she just has a really weak stand up game. Her head movement, footwork, timing, counter instincts, almost every element of her striking is sub par. When your opponent clocks that, you're going to struggle to stop your opponent coming forward because they don't have to fear getting hit. Even a basic leg kick can at least help to keep distance.

Nunes knew it, and pressed forward straight from jump, then even when Ronda tried a half hearted grab, Nunes just pushed her off and carried on striking.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

I see ZERO times she tried to take Nunes down.

ZERO.

sure.. she tries to clinch.. pretty pathetic attempts. trying to grab shoulders.. ends up barely touching her shoulders.. then back to eating punches.

if you realize that you can't hang with someone standing up.. your game plan should be to take someone to the ground. simple as that.

so her camp should have focused on shooting.. doing single legs.. double legs.. getting in to clinch.. possibly throw.

again.. how many times does ronda shoot.. ZERO.. it ain't easy.. but you do it. or get knocked out in 48 seconds.

anytime someone's getting lit up in MMA.. they go for a takedown and get it to the clinch to try and recover. 10 seconds in, Nunes knew Ronda realized ronda was just going to stand there and just started teeing off. her chin was up..not worried about getting hit. like shooting fish in a barrel.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Yessir. Gotta hand it to you, my man. You called this long ago, especially after the Correia fight - that epic line about her having all the athleticism of a middle school badminton player still makes me laugh. And that's precisely what the past two Rousey fights have painfully shown. Last night was even worse than Gracie vs Hughes. But it similarly put the eras in perspective.

I really feel like Rousey's camp did her an unbelievable disservice inking this deal, let alone allowing her to go through with it. Even Dana should have known this was the likely outcome. She could have made millions taking a far safer tuneup. That's honestly why I suspected a fix might be going down because I honestly saw no way Ronda could win. That monster right of Nunes was always going to land at some point and I think most knew that when that happened, Ronda was going to be transformed into a heavy bag swinging on a chain. This fight should have never been made.

She walked away with a cool$3M and whatever discretionary bonuses Dana tossed her way (which I'm sure is a lot since from all we've heard, she had to be begged to come back). That's not a bad payday to play the part of a pinata for 48 seconds.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Thugnomoe wrote:

I see ZERO times she tried to take Nunes down.

ZERO.

sure.. she tries to clinch.. pretty pathetic attempts. trying to grab shoulders.. ends up barely touching her shoulders.. then back to eating punches.

if you realize that you can't hang with someone standing up.. your game plan should be to take someone to the ground. simple as that.

so her camp should have focused on shooting.. doing single legs.. double legs.. getting in to clinch.. possibly throw.

again.. how many times does ronda shoot.. ZERO.. it ain't easy.. but you do it. or get knocked out in 48 seconds.

anytime someone's getting lit up in MMA.. they go for a takedown and get it to the clinch to try and recover. 10 seconds in, Nunes knew Ronda realized ronda was just going to stand there and just started teeing off. her chin was up..not worried about getting hit. like shooting fish in a barrel.

She can't shoot. Her knees are shot. Completely. Part of the reason she has the footwork of a lumbering ogre. And she did try to clinch, Nunes shook it off like it was nothing. Again, difference trying to clinch when you've had your bell run and barely standing vs being tagged by some girl that learned to strike with Tae Bo.

Last edited by jonnybravo on Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
she ain't fighting again. that would be insanity on her part

i bet she fights again...if someone will pay a fighter 3 million dollars for 48 seconds.. they'll keep doing it.

it probably won't be 3 million again.. and it won't be against a beast like nunes. but she'll be in there again.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

She walked away with a cool$3M and whatever discretionary bonuses Dana tossed her way (which I'm sure is a lot since from all we've heard, she had to be begged to come back). That's not a bad payday to play the part of a pinata for 48 seconds.

Don't you think she clears a pile a cash just fighting some handpicked opponent in her first fight back to build confidence.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

You're right about traditional take downs, but to an even more basic level she just has a really weak stand up game. Her head movement, footwork, timing, counter instincts, almost every element of her striking is sub par. When your opponent clocks that, you're going to struggle to stop your opponent coming forward because they don't have to fear getting hit. Even a basic leg kick can at least help to keep distance.

Nunes knew it, and pressed forward straight from jump, then even when Ronda tried a half hearted grab, Nunes just pushed her off and carried on striking.

yup. Even fans could fake some head movement better than what she failed to attempt. And yea she's just not a great striker at all - most of the first generation women really weren't, right? Even Miesha had no head movement and really wasn't a good striker. Nunes is the new evolution, she slipped one of Ronda's jabs and lit her up the one time Ronda really sat down in the pocket and tried to exchange - Nunes actually has skills.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject:

http://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/cody-garbrandt/photo-scorecards-dominick-cruz-vs-cody-garbrandt-fight/

weird scores from the pink card.. how was round 4 not a 10-8 round?

I actually had 49-45.. Cruz only won that last round.. and barely.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Tark the Shark wrote:
Rousey's problem is that Taverdyan is a horrible trainer. She has the tools to much better than she is. If she wants to continue fighting, she needs to find a real camp.

For real.

She had a year to learn to shoot. The absolutely STUPIDEST thing she could have done is try to walk into a clinch.

I thought she would have learned her lesson last time. I guess not. What a fool.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Tark the Shark wrote:

For real.

She had a year to learn to shoot. The absolutely STUPIDEST thing she could have done is try to walk into a clinch.

I thought she would have learned her lesson last time. I guess not. What a fool.

Even Nunes agrees.

Quote:
"Yeah, because she thinks that she's a boxer, you know?" she said. "He like put this thing in her head and make the girl believe in that. I don't know why he did that. She have great judo, and she can go far in this division, but he put some crazy thing about boxing, and her career started to go down. And if I win that, I am the real striker. This is the only thing I wanted to look at him, to say it."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 397, 398, 399 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 398 of 499
Jump to: