Poll: Odom/George/Divac for Artest/Croshere/Bender
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you do this trade?
Yes
59%
 59%  [ 83 ]
No
40%
 40%  [ 57 ]
Total Votes : 140

ChiefTriangle38
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject:

Its so funny that on this board, as soon as some type of trade is mentioned, many people jump on the bandwagon and jump of the player thats bieng traded bandwagon

I remember all the posts "Odom to be like Pippen, All-Star next year, Natural for the Triangle,..."

Now all of a sudden hes a worthless underachiever that should be traded for a guy who may or may not be with the team becuase of his attitude problems and a guy who isn't as talented as Odom
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Funkee wrote:

However, Pacers will not trade Artest and the others. Count on it.

They know they're good and they"ll try to win it all. They won't break up the core.

The core they had in almost taking out Detroit last season didn't include Artest.

That's why i initially thought this trade as a serious possibility. They take Detroit to 6 without Artest and that's the exact same predicament they were in the season before.

They lack playmaking, rebounding and could use more consistent, balanced offense. Odom could fill their need for a combo forward since they have guys like Granger and SJax on the roster who play alot of time at 3.

Plus, Odom had one year of success in the East playing PF. If Grainger proves out to be all that many think he will be, a lineup with Grainger (SF), Odom (PF) and O'Neal (C) could be impressive offensively.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Funkee wrote:

However, Pacers will not trade Artest and the others. Count on it.

They know they're good and they"ll try to win it all. They won't break up the core.

The core they had in almost taking out Detroit last season didn't include Artest.

That's why i initially thought this trade as a serious possibility. They take Detroit to 6 without Artest and that's the exact same predicament they were in the season before.

They lack playmaking, rebounding and could use more consistent, balanced offense. Odom could fill their need for a combo forward since they have guys like Granger and SJax on the roster who play alot of time at 3.

I think if Artest was there (or if the Palace brawl didn't happen), they wouldve/shouldve taken out Detroit.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Plus, Odom had one year of success in the East playing PF. If Grainger proves out to be all that many think he will be, a lineup with Grainger (SF), Odom (PF) and O'Neal (C) could be impressive offensively.

They like Fred Jones and they are impressed with SJax's play. Factor in Granger and that they probably add another SG soon - their SF/SG rotation is pretty much complete. Odom probably starts at 3, but then moves to 4 as the game wears on.

FC O'Neal
F Odom
FG Jackson
C Foster
F Granger
C Harrison

That's a damn good frontcourt if you ask me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject:

ChiefTriangle38 wrote:

Now all of a sudden hes a worthless underachiever that should be traded for a guy who may or may not be with the team becuase of his attitude problems and a guy who isn't as talented as Odom

I don't think Odom is worthless, why else would a team be interested in trading a DPOY for him? I thought he underachieved greatly last year for the Lakers. He rebounded well, that was about it. We never saw the product of the mismatches we were hoping for. And including on the court mental toughness, I think Artest is more talented than Odom.
yesman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yesman wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
I don't think I would even if I wasn't Mitch...

Artest in 6 year career:
PPG: 14.4
RPG: 4.7
APG: 3.0

Odom in 6 year career:
PPG: 16.0
RPG: 8.3
APG: 4.3

Artest started developing a better offensive game later in his career. 18.3 ppg in his most recent full season. 25 ppg in his short season last year. With that said, offense is not his game, although his offense is about equal with Odom's. Defensively, he's probably the best defensive player in the NBA. If we could get this trade done...whew.

Plus, Artest has proven that he can be a #2 scorer. Odom has proven that if he isn't the main focus, he often gets lost. He can't be counted on to be a consistent #2 option.

Another good point, I totally agree. I doubt the Pacers would bite on the trade in this thread. Maybe minus Crosher. And I'd still go for that without thinking twice.
yesman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject:

ChiefTriangle38 wrote:
a guy who isn't as talented as Odom

Talent won't get you anywhere in the NBA. Odom has not capitalized on his talent, and Artest has. Artest is a far, far better player than is Odom, and I don't see that changing. Artest is 250 pounds of muscle, and still quick enough to play SG and defend guys like Wade. He man handles weak SFs in the paint. Odom doesn't take advantage of his mismatches. The man has never made the All Start team for Pete's sake. When we traded for him I almost crapped my pants. I hoped for him to suprise me, but he didn't. And I don't think he ever will.
AIRZOOMKOBE2k5
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject:

u guys are crazy do u even know of odoms potential?
trpldblr
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject:

Wait up some of you wouldn't trade LO strait up for Artest, but you'd do it if they incluided Bender?? Somebody who has yet to prove that he can play at least 3/4 of a season?

Also, defense is important but it's not about just one players defense it has to be an entire team effort.

I say we keep Odom and acquire some defensive stopper, then we have the best of both worlds, an excellent triangle point forward and a gritty defender.

Defense is important but Phil in his last years has relied more on clutch defense and above average D for an entire game.

Who's to say Odom wont become a better defender under Phil, he surely has the size and arm length to give anybody some trouble defensively, a lot of these post against LO are very biased and partial, ppl who don't wanna see LO on this team.
NoHarmNoFoul
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject:

Maybe....

however, if we could get Foster or Pollard instead of Croshere, even better -- no-brainer 8)

Who will you aim your irrational anger at then?"
-PopcornMachine
trpldblr
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Everybody who voted for Artest fails to realize that Odom took miami against the pacers to a seven game series, and all he had was a knee weary brian grant, an injured caron butler, a rookie dwayne wade, and a burnt eddie jones. He gave them the fight of their lives while they also did a great job defensively.

A lot of you are letting last season weigh on your voting, last season was crap... and Odom was used incorrectly, they didn't play him as a point forward, Rudy T, Frank Hamblen, Kobe having the ball for about 42 mpg.

I for one am anxious to see Odom under Phil as THE triangle's point forward.
I wouldn't miss it for the world.
yesman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject:

trpldblr wrote:
Wait up some of you wouldn't trade LO strait up for Artest, but you'd do it if they incluided Bender?? Somebody who has yet to prove that he can play at least 3/4 of a season?

Also, defense is important but it's not about just one players defense it has to be an entire team effort.

I say we keep Odom and acquire some defensive stopper, then we have the best of both worlds, an excellent triangle point forward and a gritty defender.

Defense is important but Phil in his last years has relied more on clutch defense and above average D for an entire game.

Who's to say Odom wont become a better defender under Phil, he surely has the size and arm length to give anybody some trouble defensively, a lot of these post against LO are very biased and partial, ppl who don't wanna see LO on this team.

Hmmm, that's a good point. We can keep Odom, now all we have to do is pick up a defensive stopper. Yeah, that's very possible and likely. How about getting a defensive stopper who is also a very good offensive player? Odom is not a very good offensive player, although he MIGHT become one in the triangle, which is still in question. Odom simply isn't a good defensive player. He doesn't play with intensity on D. Artest is a friggin stud and he's much better than Odom. I know this trade won't happen, but you people who wouldn't trade Odom straight up for Artest need to pull your heads out off you ###es.
trpldblr
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject:

yesman wrote:
Hmmm, that's a good point. We can keep Odom, now all we have to do is pick up a defensive stopper. Yeah, that's very possible and likely. How about getting a defensive stopper who is also a very good offensive player? Odom is not a very good offensive player, although he MIGHT become one in the triangle, which is still in question. Odom simply isn't a good defensive player. He doesn't play with intensity on D. Artest is a friggin stud and he's much better than Odom. I know this trade won't happen, but you people who wouldn't trade Odom straight up for Artest need to pull your heads out off you ###es.

Why settle for one good offensive player when Odom can make a whole team an offensive threat, that sounds a lot better. And I assure u are heads are right on our shoulders where they should be, don't go there... I'm one for healthy debate.

Also, Odom is more talented offensively than Artest, he can shoot, drive, and post up, he's just an unselfish player who likes to set his teamates up. We already have a one man threat in Kobe, a point forward who can elevate this teams offense is the perfect compliment to that.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject:

its a tough choice. artest has issues. didnt he want to take some time off to go on tour with his rap album or something? he is more of a headcase than lamar(although in artest's case, it doesn't affect his play on the court) he is a better defender, no question. i still want to see what odom can do under phil.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject:

I'm one of those who would be reluctant to trade Odom straight across for Artest. I think we are underestimating all that Odom's brings offensively including not only scoring but rebounding and assists. I think in the Triangle as the "point" and at SF he can really shine. I also have concerns about Artest's head as far as his mental stability is concerned.

What makes the trade interesting is the inclusion of Bender in the deal, which to me could maybe make the deal possibly worth while, imo.

I know I might be in the minority, but the fact is Odom is so versatile on the offensive end and his playing opposite SF's may help him improve his defense next year with his length advantange. I'm for keeping Odom if it were only Artest involved, but as I said Bender at least makes the trade interesting, imo.

I know this is only one game, but check out the post below, it maybe demonstrates how Odom may be underestimated on this board.

JaySK2 wrote:
Quote:

Wow, what facts! Lamar Odom and Ron Artest matched up only once that I can recall, and that was when Odom played for the Heat and had to start at the SF position because Butler was hurt. Lamar Odom OWNED Artest, and shut him down on the other end. Artest went 4 for 20, and Odom took him man to man. The Pacers were forced to double Odom because Artest couldn't guard him 1 on 1. Odom finished with like 25 points on 10FGAs. He added 7ASSTS & 7RPG with 4blks. Any1 with a brain can see who won that matchup, Lamar Odom OWNED that dude! Ron can't guard Lamar Odom, but can shut him down on the offensive end with his length.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
yesman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject:

trpldblr wrote:
yesman wrote:

Why settle for one good offensive player when Odom can make a whole team an offensive threat, that sounds a lot better. And I assure u are heads are right on our shoulders where they should be, don't go there... I'm one for healthy debate.

Also, Odom is more talented offensively than Artest, he can shoot, drive, and post up, he's just an unselfish player who likes to set his teamates up. We already have a one man threat in Kobe, a point forward who can elevate this teams offense is the perfect compliment to that.

Lamar isn't going to come in and be Magic Johnson all of a sudden. He is not a good shooter. In fact, Artest is a better shooter than Odom. Odom is a better ball handler, but Artest is better in the post. Which is sad considering Odom's height. But Odom isn't a powerful player, and Artest is. 250 pounds in the post, againt SFs, is hard to stop. Odom will just post up and throw up an awkward hook type shot. And listen carefully when I say this: Ron Artest is the best perimeter defender in the NBA. People, stop looking past this. Odom is a nice player, and he is unique. But Artest is a stud, and he'd bring something this team needs: toughness, heart, and defense(which usually come together in the same package). Odom will not come in and average 7 assists. He will not be a lock down defender. He will not be a very good scorer. What he will do is be an overpaid, underachieving player. Sorry, but that's what he is. It's been like that for years, and that probably won't change. He is not even an All Star, never has been, and, possibly, never will be.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject:

yeah but bender is probably going to get injured. as a matter of fact, werent we going to trade for bender mainly because we would get the draft pick? that was the main attraction of the deal.
trpldblr
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject:

One more mishap by Artest and it could mean his whole NBA career, that alone should stop this trade from even being considered.

At the 3 position LO can shot over anybody and Artest is not better in the post not by a long shot, and no magic, was a fast break distributor, Odom is a half court facilitator, this comment tells me u havn't seen Odom play as a point forward; he's great at it, the best I've seen in a long time. When Odom is on he doesn't need to score to dominate a game, his passing and PG skills take over.

Artest just said that he wasn't going to change, this guy will be banned from the league, it's just a matter of time. All it's gonna take is another confrontation and he's gonna lose it, you can see it in his eyes he's psycho.
ggamannom
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject:

i probably won't do the trade... it won't be bad, but i still like odom

surely, we'll have the great defense provided with Artest; but potential-wise and offensively, i would want to stick with Odom
And i'm worried what would happen with Kobe and Artest in the same team, not on the court, but off the court.. i say we let the zen master work his magic with Odom and let him improve
yesman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Artest is an ELITE PLAYER. He's the second best SF in the NBA behind Lebron. Odom is not quite even an All Star Calibre player. He's close, but simply not that good. I know it hurt to hear that, but he's not that good. He's not a great defender, scorer, passer, or defender. He averages 4.3 assists per game, and he's never averaged 6 assists per game. He is the most overrated Laker player by far.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject:

No way i do this trade. And Odom is way better than Ron in the post. In miami Odom played good defense. face it we sucked at defense last year it wasnt just odom.
yesman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
No way i do this trade. And Odom is way better than Ron in the post. In miami Odom played good defense. face it we sucked at defense last year it wasnt just odom.

Odom is not better than Artest in the post. Odom is what, 220 or so now? Artest is 250 and much stronger. Odom doesn't have any true go to move or spot, that's why he's not a very good scorer. He's not a shooter, not a slasher, and not a post player. He doesn't do any of these three things well enough to exploit a mismatch, and that's why he'll never be a 20 points a game type of guy. Hopefully he can become a great defender.
Shapecity
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject:

AIRZOOMKOBE2k5 wrote:

There's an unwritten rule in the NBA, if you till have the "potential" label on you after your 5th season in the league, it means you aren't using it. Odom is heading into his 7th season.

Odom has the potential to be great defensively, but Artest is already a proven defensive player.

I am all for this trade, Artest is a great compliment player to Kobe. Phil will keep Artest mentally focused by constantly challenging him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yesman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Shapecity wrote:
AIRZOOMKOBE2k5 wrote:

There's an unwritten rule in the NBA, if you till have the "potential" label on you after your 5th season in the league, it means you aren't using it. Odom is heading into his 7th season.

Finally someone who gets it.
loseyourname
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject:

I love this trade myself. Kobe, Artest, and Kwame might be the three guys in the league that have the most to prove this season. Combine them with a rejuvenated Phil and we could see a real "us against the world" team with a chip on its shoulder. Heck, even DA has something to prove, if he's signed, then we have "Jawbreaker" Wafer.

Come on, can you imagine the boos in opposing arenas when you have Kobe and Artest on the same team? That might be the most hated combo since Mahorn/Laimbeer. If Bynum/Brown really develop and all that talent clicks, we could be looking at the NBA version of the Miami Hurricanes of the late 80's. Let us not forget, either, what I think is the single most important factor in this trade: Bender expires in 2007 and Artest makes way less than Odom. We could potentially add a max free agent, realistically, to a core of Kobe/Artest/Bynum, and not have to surround them with complete minimum wage scrubs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: