Underestimating this year's team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject:

lakers will be just fine. I find it funny that the media & fans think they know more about winning than phil.
xvanwilderx
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
lakers will be just fine. I find it funny that the media & fans think they know more about winning than phil.

+1
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject:

xvanwilderx wrote:
Car54 wrote:

+1

whats that about ?
JZIANNE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject:

I can't help but see alot of similarities between the Lakers now a days and the bulls of the early 90's. I believe that with Odem moved to the 3 the dynamics between him and Kobe change, it should be much more of like that Pippen-Jordan tandum of the Bulls, which was the main component of those bulls teams. We will without a doubt the strongest 2-3 combo in the league on both ends of the court.

I make a prediction that PJ will turn Kwame into a tremendous defensive stopper. Kwame is pissed and I have no doubt that PJ will harness that energy. If Kwame can be a stopper this will hopefully allow Mihm to be better especially with his issues as far a foul trouble. Mihm was asked to do too much last year with Odem playing the 4 spot.

Mckie was good acquisition. Many people here have questioned his health and proneness to injuries, but these same people would of loved to get DA who has by far been more suject to injuries in his career. I for one am much happier with Mckie.

Kobe, above all, will have a breakout season, which is saying alot considering he is Kobe. I feel it in my gut though. He will be a legend eventually and legends don't die easy.

I believe we have a lot of men with something to prove. I believe we have a lot of men with raw desire and talent and the perfect coach for them. I believe that we are the LA LAKERS, the greatest franchise in basketball history. Let the experts and the haters talk they are just adding fuel to fire and the story to the legend.
LakersJunkie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Underestimating this Lakers team?

I think a lot of people here are overestimating this Lakers team.

I hope Phil Jackson is the magic answer and I am proven wrong, but this team has little defense, an awful bench, no shooting, no PG and three reaches in the starting lineup alone.

Either Phil Jackson needs to be a magician, Kobe needs to clone himself or a big trade needs to happen. The dead weight (Vujacic, Walton, Medvedenko) must be cleared at some point so some players who can potentially produce may be brought in.

Well, the right coaching change seemed to work wonders for Denver last year. They were major underachievers until they hired Karl.

Hopefully Phil can work his magic and get the most out of Odom and Kwame, who have significanr skills but have been underachievers in the past.
DrDoom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject:

LakersJunkie wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I hope Phil Jackson is the magic answer and I am proven wrong, but this team has little defense, an awful bench, no shooting, no PG and three reaches in the starting lineup alone.

Either Phil Jackson needs to be a magician, Kobe needs to clone himself or a big trade needs to happen. The dead weight (Vujacic, Walton, Medvedenko) must be cleared at some point so some players who can potentially produce may be brought in.

Well, the right coaching change seemed to work wonders for Denver last year. They were major underachievers until they hired Karl.

Hopefully Phil can work his magic and get the most out of Odom and Kwame, who have significanr skills but have been underachievers in the past.

Completely different situations. Denver has Carmelo, K-Mart, Marcus Camby, Andre Miller and Buckner starting for them. That is 3 solid players, a superstar in anthony with only one weak link in Buckner. Than check out their bench, they have a terrific back up pg in Earl Boykins, more than serviceable bigs in Nene, Elson and Najera, a shooter in Person and the vet's touch in Russell.

That is one heck of a bench to bring in. Having depth like this helps in the reg season to win games. In the po it bit them in the butt a bit, but ask Memphis about how depth can get you to the po's.

Right now the Lakers are lacking the depth to put up with the horrendously long NBA schedule.

Doom
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject:

JZIANNE wrote:
I can't help but see alot of similarities between the Lakers now a days and the bulls of the early 90's. I believe that with Odem moved to the 3 the dynamics between him and Kobe change, it should be much more of like that Pippen-Jordan tandum of the Bulls, which was the main component of those bulls teams. We will without a doubt the strongest 2-3 combo in the league on both ends of the court.

I make a prediction that PJ will turn Kwame into a tremendous defensive stopper. Kwame is pissed and I have no doubt that PJ will harness that energy. If Kwame can be a stopper this will hopefully allow Mihm to be better especially with his issues as far a foul trouble. Mihm was asked to do too much last year with Odem playing the 4 spot.

Mckie was good acquisition. Many people here have questioned his health and proneness to injuries, but these same people would of loved to get DA who has by far been more suject to injuries in his career. I for one am much happier with Mckie.

Kobe, above all, will have a breakout season, which is saying alot considering he is Kobe. I feel it in my gut though. He will be a legend eventually and legends don't die easy.

I believe we have a lot of men with something to prove. I believe we have a lot of men with raw desire and talent and the perfect coach for them. I believe that we are the LA LAKERS, the greatest franchise in basketball history. Let the experts and the haters talk they are just adding fuel to fire and the story to the legend.

can we please stop comparing a team that won 6 championships to a team 1)to a team that is building of a 38 win season 2) with their current lineup,one of the weakest benches in the NBA,and 3)to a team that hasnt even played a game together yet?
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject:

lakeshow03 wrote:
can we please stop comparing a team that won 6 championships to a team 1)to a team that is building of a 38 win season 2) with their current lineup,one of the weakest benches in the NBA,and 3)to a team that hasnt even played a game together yet?
34 wins
Kobina returns
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject:

I am speaking from what I know. Lakers will make noise this year. It is in large part thanks to Phil. He knows what the Lakers weaknesses are. Some I know are limited offensive systems, no defensive system whatsoever, and players playing without roles. Phil is going to come in, use whatever talent he has, and make the most out of it. His 9 titles arent luck. He will make Lakers a winner again. I dont want to sound like a little kid claiming the Lakers will be NBA champions, but I have visions of the Lakers making noise this year.
tej61
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject:

LakersJunkie wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

What I want to see is if in fact Phil can develop young players. We all know what Kobe can do. Now it's time for Phil to bring out the best in the rookies, especially Sasha. I reaLly like his game. I just hope PJ doesn't do a LB on our team and sit all the rookies. I would like to see Sasha play some significant minutes. We'll see.

If Phil can somehow put this team together and have them playing solid basketball come the All Star break then indeed he deserves all the accolades as being one of the best coaches; otherwise he will be known as a great coach who couldn't win without 2 superstars.

Again, I say -- we'll see -- we'll see.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Kobina returns wrote:
I am speaking from what I know. Lakers will make noise this year. It is in large part thanks to Phil. He knows what the Lakers weaknesses are. Some I know are limited offensive systems, no defensive system whatsoever, and players playing without roles. Phil is going to come in, use whatever talent he has, and make the most out of it. His 9 titles arent luck. He will make Lakers a winner again. I dont want to sound like a little kid claiming the Lakers will be NBA champions, but I have visions of the Lakers making noise this year.

ok thats fine and i agree on some points but comparing them to one o the greatest teams ever played? thats a little carried away.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Charles wrote:
Look at the bench:
Brian Cook
Smush Parker
Jumaine Jones
Devean George
Stanislav Medvedenko
Vlade Divac
Sasha Vujacic
Von Wafer
Luke Walton
Laron Profit
Ronny Turiaf
Andrew Bynum

Outstanding, man.
djb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:

I hate to sound negative, and I know people are going to take issue with this, but winning kind of comes with the territory when every team you've ever coached has some of the greatest players ever on it.
iceberg01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Dude, the level of pessimism and negativity on this board is straight up APPALING!

It's funny how people are quick to claim that last season was such a disaster, with all of the uncertainty and instability surrounding the franchise, all the duplication of talent on the roster, and the lack of cohesiveness, and now that we have a direction, one of the GREATEST COACHES OF ALL TIME, and a system in place, (along with more complimentary talent), we're still going to suck.

It's also equally appalling how quick you guys are to jump on some of these other teams' jocks. Remove yourselves from the sacks of these other teams, please! With the exception of the World Champs, ALL of the teams in the WC are fallible. Period.

YES, there are many question marks surrounding this team, perhaps more than others. But all franchises go through years like this. There comes a time where you can either have faith in a franchise & sleep tight at night, or doubt everyone & everything associated with the franchise, (bleep), moan, & basically quit. Some of you guys & girls need to ask yourself--which one are you doing? Some of you have already given up hope on the Lakers before the season even tips off. Shame on you for that!

I consider myself a hardcore Laker fan--which DOESN'T mean I blindly support every move made, but I do give the Lakers the benefit of the doubt in a lot of cases, and for good reason. Name one other franchise from the 80's that has won more than ONE championship since (Detroit only won one, & that looks to be all). The Lakers were successful BEFORE Jerry West was the GM. We'll be successful after him.

I have trust in Phil Jackson, and Kobe Bryant. And those two, especially Phil, have been behind our personnel moves 100%. That's good enough for me.

Last time I checked, no one that posts on this board has won even ONE NBA championship, much less nine. So, just for once, trust the man's ability to spot players that fit his system, if anything.... Damn!
flak173
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject:

We have no depth and can't shoot. You can't win like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject:

iceberg01 wrote:
Dude, the level of pessimism and negativity on this board is straight up APPALING!

It's funny how people are quick to claim that last season was such a disaster, with all of the uncertainty and instability surrounding the franchise, all the duplication of talent on the roster, and the lack of cohesiveness, and now that we have a direction, one of the GREATEST COACHES OF ALL TIME, and a system in place, (along with more complimentary talent), we're still going to suck.

It's also equally appalling how quick you guys are to jump on some of these other teams' jocks. Remove yourselves from the sacks of these other teams, please! With the exception of the World Champs, ALL of the teams in the WC are fallible. Period.

YES, there are many question marks surrounding this team, perhaps more than others. But all franchises go through years like this. There comes a time where you can either have faith in a franchise & sleep tight at night, or doubt everyone & everything associated with the franchise, (bleep), moan, & basically quit. Some of you guys & girls need to ask yourself--which one are you doing? Some of you have already given up hope on the Lakers before the season even tips off. Shame on you for that!

I consider myself a hardcore Laker fan--which DOESN'T mean I blindly support every move made, but I do give the Lakers the benefit of the doubt in a lot of cases, and for good reason. Name one other franchise from the 80's that has won more than ONE championship since (Detroit only won one, & that looks to be all). The Lakers were successful BEFORE Jerry West was the GM. We'll be successful after him.

I have trust in Phil Jackson, and Kobe Bryant. And those two, especially Phil, have been behind our personnel moves 100%. That's good enough for me.

Last time I checked, no one that posts on this board has won even ONE NBA championship, much less nine. So, just for once, trust the man's ability to spot players that fit his system, if anything.... Damn!

AMEN
zass17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
xvanwilderx wrote:
Car54 wrote:

+1

whats that about ?

guess he was trying to say "i agree with you"
JuiceMonkey
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject:

iceberg01 wrote:

well said, damn some of these people i think are just still remembering last season's final record and dont remember so many of our close games to the top contenders. and the tailspin we were sent into in the final fourth of the season due to odom's injury. come on people, think about it and have some optimism
OshadowO
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject:

^close games don't count for much in the end. If you wanna talk about close games than the clippers are a good team!

We've barely addressed any holes from last years fiasco.
Our front court still lacks depth, shooters are sparse, no solid defenders, green bench, & almost all of our best players share the sg/sf positions.

We've improved in the coaching dept, and we've improved in the sense that our top two guys can play their natural positions. That's about it.

Saying guys like parker, von wafer, bynum will make a difference is the same thing we kept believing about tierre brown, sasha, and bobbit being all that last offseason. Those guys would be lucky to get 2 mins of playing time on a decent team given where they are at in their careers right now.

Kwame's an x-factor for now and till he proves otherwise he'll remain the bust.

Now I'm not saying this team will fail, or that I want them to fail, but there is a good chance they may not make the playoffs again. We're a second tier team battling for the bottom 3 seeds with 7 other teams. If all the pieces work together we'll make the playoff safely. If they work exceptionally well together we might get a higher seed. But that's about it. I realize it takes time to get back to the point where we used to be, but on the same token that doesn't mean I have to overestimate their chances.
Narigon
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject:

iceberg01 wrote:

It's not that I don't think Phil doesn't have ability. It's more like due to the way the league is now, Phil's choices are very limited. Put it this way, if Phil didn't have to worry about cap and salary concerns, are Kwame & McKie picks 1 & 2 on who the Lakers choose to surround Kobe with?
Smush Parker? The bench needs serious help, because if they don't deliver that places too much pressure on the starters.

The rest of it hinges on so many things going right.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
People love overlooking the fact that Slav. has played at b/u center for years now. Hes not great but he is more than servicable. DG is more than an adequate defender and rebounder. Plays well with Kobe
DG
Kobe
LO
Kwame
Mihm

McKie/walton
Wafer/Profit
JJ/walton
Cook
Slav/Vlade/Bynum
we are still short one solid bench guy, but again :Yawn: we are long athletic and huge. Great coach, great player. I love how Kwame is a risk yet Swift isnt We should be able to outboard every team, hang with if not overshadow teams inside, shut out teams in the backcourt. Our bench needs work, but when is there ever 5 starters sitting. we have spot guys that can more than handle our needs at this point. Its a process and if we are wiping the slate clean then we are in great, great shape

i bump these to prove I am not an LO hater. i came in with an openmind. Yet it has taken him 1 3/4 yrs. to live up to half his expectations. AND its only been a few games. If he, kwame and smush keeps it up we win ring
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject:

Charles wrote:
Look at the bench:
Brian Cook
Smush Parker
Jumaine Jones
Devean George
Stanislav Medvedenko
Vlade Divac
Sasha Vujacic
Von Wafer
Luke Walton
Laron Profit
Ronny Turiaf
Andrew Bynum

this isnt our team???

we dont have slava or vlade or wafer on the team right now...or profit

and where is JJ??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:

bounty wrote:
bounty wrote:
People love overlooking the fact that Slav. has played at b/u center for years now. Hes not great but he is more than servicable. DG is more than an adequate defender and rebounder. Plays well with Kobe
DG
Kobe
LO
Kwame
Mihm

McKie/walton
Wafer/Profit
JJ/walton
Cook
Slav/Vlade/Bynum
we are still short one solid bench guy, but again :Yawn: we are long athletic and huge. Great coach, great player. I love how Kwame is a risk yet Swift isnt We should be able to outboard every team, hang with if not overshadow teams inside, shut out teams in the backcourt. Our bench needs work, but when is there ever 5 starters sitting. we have spot guys that can more than handle our needs at this point. Its a process and if we are wiping the slate clean then we are in great, great shape

i bump these to prove I am not an LO hater. i came in with an openmind. Yet it has taken him 1 3/4 yrs. to live up to half his expectations. AND its only been a few games. If he, kwame and smush keeps it up we win ring

bounty u never gave odom a chance. you been bashing him since early in the season.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Aaaaaaameeeeennn!! If 9 games from now, or any game Odom staggers bounty will be on him like "ugly on an ape" as if he had been (bleep) up nonstop for months...

Forget it bounty... I just hope Odom makes a complete mockery of your nonstop whining throughout the rest of this year. While the team was, and is obviously in growth mode like so many were trying to point out to you, and your contingent you kept up the (bleep) the whole time...

No, you will not be welcome to any parties involving any successes of this team. Your partial support has sucked from day 1...

Last edited by THE_SHOES on Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject:

lakersdynasty999 wrote:
Charles wrote:
Look at the bench:
Brian Cook
Smush Parker
Jumaine Jones
Devean George
Stanislav Medvedenko
Vlade Divac
Sasha Vujacic
Von Wafer
Luke Walton
Laron Profit
Ronny Turiaf
Andrew Bynum

this isnt our team???

we dont have slava or vlade or wafer on the team right now...or profit

and where is JJ??
I posted that back in August
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: