Underestimating this year's team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject:

post and pivot - i have no idea what your'e talking about.

ALL i was talking about - (and please go back and read), it the laker bench.
that's it.

why do you come up with complete team analysis, and different arguments that have nothing to do with the bench ?

very strange post.

and barbosa has started for the suns the entire season 2 years ago.
that by itself makes him much much better than smush who barely had any playing time in this league.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject:

Star wrote:
Car54 wrote:
The Lakers are the only team you cant really rate them by their roster, because its about the system. Phil has never had great players at other positions outside of the SF & SG (except rodman yrs & shaq yrs) He doesnt need great players. Kobe & Odom will lead the rest will follow. Everyone serves a purpose on this roster

OK, so Phil has only had great players outside of SF and SG when he didn't have Shaq or Rodman. You realize that he has had Rodman or Shaq for most of his career and 6 of his 9 rings. The other 3 he had Horace Grant who was a pretty damn good power forward. Phil does need great players and has always had them. No coach wins without talent.

And quit overestimating how great the triangle is. It is a good system if you have the right talent but it can be pretty bad without talent. See Chicago post Jordan.

Quote:

Mckie in 04 shot 43% from 3pt I expect 38% this year
He'll also ply solid team defense force his man to the side of help defenders. Hes never been fast but always been a good defender.

If he can stay healthy, which at his age is a big question mark. After last year's Grant fiasco, I don't count on anyone who is older and is breaking down.

Quote:

Smush showed he can press PG in the summer league his 6'4 frame w/6'10 wingspan and foot speed will be used the correct way under phil.

I'm actually kind of high on Smush but as been pointed out numerous times it was summer league and its not like this guy is a rookie. He has yet to be able to get any playing time for 3 years on 3 different teams. Kind of silly to get your hopes up on a guy who hasn't shown anything given 3 years in the league.

Quote:
Kwame avg 11ppg 7.4rpg off of 6 shots per game in 30mpg his 3rd yr. Grant avg 15ppg 11rpg 1.2bpg (94 w/ no jordan team 55-27) off of 12 shots in 36mpg I can see him getting close to those numbers.

Thinking Kwame is more like he was 2 years ago than last year is optimistic to say the least. No way around it, the guy has been a bust thus far. Do I hope he turns it around, of course, but at this point, you are pinning your hopes on a very big IF.
Quote:

Pip avg 22ppg 8.7rpg 5.6ast .8bpg(94 bulls) Odoms best season as a sf he avg 17ppg 8rpg 5.9apg 1.6bpg if odom can add that to the team along with kobes numbers were in good shape.

OK, Odom is no pippen. Seriously folks, its not close. Pippen did way more than just his numbers show. Guy was a beast on defense. Odom has certain other advantages but thus far has shown a complete inability to play with Kobe. I think that will change in the triangle, but again, given past performance, it doesn't look good.

Quote:
Wennington 7.6ppg 5.1rpg 0.4bpg in 18mpg
Cartwright 5.6ppg 3.6rpg 0.2bpg in 18mpg
Longley 7.6ppg 5.1 rpg 0.8bpg in in 19mpg

If yall think Mihm Vlade Slava cook cant give you that type of production in this system then smh were not bad at all were better than yall think.

The thing about the Bulls center was that they played good, solid, post defense and were excellent triangle centers. Again, you need your center to be able to establish post position, keep it, and catch the ball when it comes his way. These are not traits that Mihm or Slava have shown they can do and certainly Vlade may be too old at this point. Stop looking at the numbers exclusively. They only tell you part of the story.

Sorry to be a downer but a lot of the over optimistic Laker fans just don't see the other side. A lot of the "Lakers win Division" talk is predicated on big ifs. Given past performance, Lakers don't look so good.

So let me get this straight. Kwame goes for 11, and 7 in his 3rd season on 6 shots a game, at the age of 21, but he is a bust because he was not great when he was 19, or 20. Some logic there. You know whats funny, if Kwame would have had average 11, and 7 this season, and 7 and 5 last season, he would be up for a 64 MILLION dollar extension. I don't how good this will be, but it will be better than those people who continue to bad mouth it.
lakersfan4life69
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject:

i can't paint a rosy picutre on this team. the lakers will have kobe, odom, a backup type center, a current no. 1 bust, and an aging if not washed up veteran in their starting five. excuse me if i'm not optimistic. their bench doen't have one threat. the lakers have been hit by bad luck too. turiaf, the one guy i thought could contribute out of last year's draft and looked to be a steal, had open heart surgery. bynum is years away. the lakers have to hope kwame brown has a jermaine o'neal type breakout this year. then, they might be a legitmite team. if phil jackson gets this team to play defense and play over their heads, they'll win 40-42 games. that still won't get them a playoff spot. i think 2007 is about right. probably be the next time this team makes the playoffs.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject:

Sky - What do you think of the Lakers chances if they are able to develop their two prize forwards?

Odom - Has a career year (I'm thinking it's somewhat realistic to assume this since he's going to have his best coach and the one that probably values him the most) with 19/7/5/1.5/1.0 numbers

Kwame - Has a career year (Big whoop considering he's going to be asked top 10 and 7) but more of a solid PF that can give 12/8 a game.

My expectations were based on last year's play. Based on that, i can't expect the team do that well. However if improvements are made within Kwame and Odom - can we expect a 5th or 4th seed? I think there's a good chance we can achieve that seed IF both Kwame and Odom step up.

Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Panthera
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject:

Sky wrote:
If WYSIWYG then this team will be BBQ'd PDQ and be SOL come playoff time. This Laker team as is will be first round and out and that's IF they make the playoffs, which would be no lock.

I dissagre. I think that if KOENF then it's all right but if not then SYWES.
However, if BBEW and POBV'd don't happen again then we"ll have a good season barring any WYRER.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject:

Funkee wrote:
Sky wrote:
If WYSIWYG then this team will be BBQ'd PDQ and be SOL come playoff time. This Laker team as is will be first round and out and that's IF they make the playoffs, which would be no lock.

I dissagre. I think that if KOENF then it's all right but if not then SYWES.
However, if BBEW and POBV'd don't happen again then we"ll have a good season barring any WYRER.

Sky
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Even if Kwame and Odom play to the level you've outlined Wolf I don't see the Lakers getting higher than a 6 seed.

Division winners in the west look like San Antonio, Phoenix and Denver. Then Dallas and Houston appear to be the next tier. I don't see the Lakers cracking that top 5 regardless.

From 6-8 it's a crapshoot. Nate in Portland will revive them. Minnesota just went through addition by subtraction with Spree and Sam. The Warriors played .667 ball in their final 30 games and added a great pick in Diogu. Clips were banged up last year and have a lot of talent. Sonics learned how to win last year. Sac still has some ability, Utah has talent, so does Memphis. Most of those teams will be right there with the Lakers all year long.

6-8 is imo going to come down to who plays well on the road. If Mihm is the starting center, road wins won't come easy. My hope is they can swing a deal to get Lorenzen Wright to offset Mihm's inconsistency. At the point, I don't see what they can do in trade and I've always hated Pargo's game and pray that doesn't happen. Smush is going to have to rise to the challenge and McKie is going to have to stay healthy.

I'm not worried about Odom and Kwame, I think they will perform (though your ppg for Odom seems too high). My worries are threefold:

1. Point guard - McKie will likely have injury trouble and can't go high minutes, so Smush will have to step up BIG.

2. Mihm's inconsistency - He has to become a consistent anchor and their leading rebounder, may be asking too much of him.

3. Lack of quality depth - Big dropoff in talent from the starters to the bench.

What they do from now to opening night will imo determine whether they can lead the 6-8 pack or face a yearlong struggle among the nine teams vying for three spots. Add Wright and I feel much better about their chances. Find a way to get a quality starting 1 and I'd put them as a solid 6 seed. Fail to do so, or only add Pargo, and I think they will be at 7 or 8 all year and at risk of going lottery but losing the pick.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject:

i agree completely sky.
right now - IF everything clicks - and i mean everything - no. 6 is as high as we can go.
not good enough for the best case scenario.
KingKobeDubbz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject:

I mean seriously this years team isn't too much of an improvement .Besides Phil coming back and his descision to move Lamar to his natural position at the small forward . That is pretty much all it has to offer. We got Aaron Mckie which is a plus. Got a kid in draft known as Andruw Bynum who has problems getting low post position and we hired Kareem as big man coach. Will just have to see how this tale will turn. I'm not saying that they won't make playoffs , it's just beyond that which bewilders me.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Yes many of those are my concerns too. I can't believe you and me actually agree on so much of the same things in regards to this current team and where they would stand but it's what i feel to.

I am hoping that they can get Wright or Cato or Bender + Pollard through deals. Any 1 of those trades would help the team and give them a 3 bigman rotation they desperately need.

Guards - i think you are right it will be Mckie/Parker getting the majority of the minutes which is a big improvement from last season defensively, but a regress in offense. Hopefully Mckie and Parker are somewhat consistent in their spot up roles as apparently Mckie had no legs left last year according to some.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DrDoom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Well another way to look at this is too objectively look at the other teams. The way I see it now, the Spurs are a LOCK for the West Top Seeds. They stood pat with their team, have a core that has been together 4 years now and added a decent backup big in Fabricio. Next up in the Pacific is the Suns. They have no doubt taken a step back. But they will still be a high flying - high scoring team. Everyone knows this doesn't win championships, but as evidenced by the Kings and Mavs the past 5 years, it does win regular season games. The Kings, like the pistons have a terrific starting 5, but will not overtake the Suns: Phoenix at #2. That leaves The Nugs at #3. The Sonics took a step back, and remember after Karl came to the rescue the Nuggs had EASILY the best record in the league. Now it won't be long before Karl blows it up, but even if someone else wins this division, in the end it doesn't matter to our playoff seeding.

SO we got...

1) Spurs

2) Phoenix

3) Nuggs

AFter this you know the Mavs and Houston are going to be 4-5 again (though it may flip-flop). These texas teams are regular season warriors and the Mavs almost stole the south from the spurs last year, expect Houston to keep pace. This though, I can GUARANTEE (along with the Spurs and Phoenix) as a lock.

4) Houston or Mavs

5) Dallas or Rockets

Now it is likely going to be Sacramento or the SOnics. Seattle has taken a hit this offseason, but shouldn't fall too far off their pace. The Kings meanwhile, have an AS pg in Bibby, an AS SF in Peja, AS center in Miller, an AS PF in Rahim, and a serviceable sg in Wells. The Kings won without Chris Webber all the time during the regular season in the past and I see no difference why it will change this year.

6) Kings

7) Seattle

So now we come to the Lakers. This 8th seed is going to be up for grabs. LA, Memphis, Minny, the Clips, Utah and GS are all going to be fighting for it. Expect the magic number to be even higher next year for this spot. I am thinking instead of 45 it maybe more like 47 wins necessary to grab this.

IF the Lakers can grab the 8th seed and make the po's (even if they are immediately gone) that would be considered a HUGE turnaround. From a 34 win team to a 47 win team in one season is a significant stride for any franchise. But expecting to get the 3-6 seed is just a bit unreasonable. Those are most likely 50+ win teams, and while people have pointed out that the Lakers could compete with the best in the buis last year, they forget to mention some of the losses to the worst. LA will have to maintain the focus that some of these other regular season warrior squads are known for. The lakers are no longer a "flip the switch" type team. They are going to have to battle for every single W this season.

If they do that and make the playoffs, than I believe it should be considered a succefull season for Kobe, the Franchise and Phil.

Doom
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Honestly i'm not that convinced of the Mavs and Sonics. Both teams have some serious weaknesses.

I could see them fall into the 6-7 range.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
davidse wrote:
Charles wrote:
Look at the bench:
Brian Cook
Smush Parker
Jumaine Jones
Devean George
Stanislav Medvedenko
Vlade Divac
Sasha Vujacic
Von Wafer
Luke Walton
Laron Profit
Ronny Turiaf
Andrew Bynum

yeah, by far the worst bench in the nba right now. maybe the hawks can give us a run for our money on that one.
maybe.

you sure about that? who does the nuggets have on their bench?

phoenix after jim jacson oh wait Jimmy has to start now since no Joe Johnson. kurt thomas is great for defense, but they should've have let johnson go. whats going to happen this year when nash gets hurt for 4 games? barbosa? i think not.

Seattle-No more nate, I promise you that'll knock them down from last year.

Portland-in a super rebuilding process right now.
memphis-in a dismantling process
utah-who knows, isn't bell gone?
Golden state could be good with a health BD. but without same old Gstate.

Spurs-same championship form as last year. BUT RObert horry is older. and one of these days the guy will start to officially fall off ala steve smith.

New Orleans(yeah right)

WHo else are we missing?

lets see what teams have probably gotten better thru out the league.

Bobcats, but no worries still got a nice ways to go.
Miami, could easily get to the finals with this lineup, but could easily blow up and be fighting in the locker room.

the bucks, assuming BOgut is as good as they thionk.

HOw about Detroit losing larry brown? huge blow to the team. huge, you may not see detroit back in it for another decade.

So once again why cant the lakers do well?

P&P you can always be depended on to apply good sense!

Why do people think that other teams are just chuck full of nothing but studs? Everybody has the same handcuffs on when it comes to signing bodies and, the Lakers even now have made themselves fiercely competitive as of this week... I'm not saying championship potential but, everybody is not going to kick the Lakers ass...

The author of this thread pointed out some important and, highly relevant facts illustrating this team vs last seasons. Most teams are going to hate dealing with the Lakers if not the entire league. Right now as it stands the starting five are going to average more than last years unit scoring wise. Last years group was great at putting up points so, that is saying something. They couldn't stop any school from Compton from scoring though. This year that will change if for no other reason than having Devean and, Aaron in the lineup.

We have every reason to be optimistic with this team and, the solid organization that will be behind it this year...
Star
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:

So let me get this straight. Kwame goes for 11, and 7 in his 3rd season on 6 shots a game, at the age of 21, but he is a bust because he was not great when he was 19, or 20. Some logic there. You know whats funny, if Kwame would have had average 11, and 7 this season, and 7 and 5 last season, he would be up for a 64 MILLION dollar extension. I don't how good this will be, but it will be better than those people who continue to bad mouth it.

Guy was a #1 draft pick. #1. And you don't think he is a bust so far? You point to his stats 2 years ago when he was 21 as proof that he isn't a bust? Come now, you are being intellectually dishonest. His stats from 1 year ago are just not that good. It could very well be that his stats from 1 year ago represent the true Kwame and his stats from two years ago are an abberation.

7 and 5 for a #1 pick? Even Olowakandi has had better numbers than that and by all accounts he is a bust.

That's not to say Kwame can't turn it around. But as of now, yes, he is a bust.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject:

KingKobeDubbz wrote:
I mean seriously this years team isn't too much of an improvement .Besides Phil coming back and his descision to move Lamar to his natural position at the small forward . That is pretty much all it has to offer. We got Aaron Mckie which is a plus. Got a kid in draft known as Andruw Bynum who has problems getting low post position and we hired Kareem as big man coach. Will just have to see how this tale will turn. I'm not saying that they won't make playoffs , it's just beyond that which bewilders me.

You don't see the advantage of having a guy like Brown holding down the 4 while Odom takes the 3? That in itself is huge...

kobe will be in the backcourt with anybody besides Chucky and, you think this is not an upgrade?

You have George and, Jones on the bench which automatically equals a lot of defense and three point scoring and, you still fail to see a differance between this years and, last years unit?

Jackson alone equals a huge margin of differance from last year. His assistant can't be him...

If the Lakers don't excel beyond last season it will be the biggest underachievment in Lakers history...
DrDoom
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject:

THE_SHOES wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
davidse wrote:
Charles wrote:
Look at the bench:
Brian Cook
Smush Parker
Jumaine Jones
Devean George
Stanislav Medvedenko
Vlade Divac
Sasha Vujacic
Von Wafer
Luke Walton
Laron Profit
Ronny Turiaf
Andrew Bynum

yeah, by far the worst bench in the nba right now. maybe the hawks can give us a run for our money on that one.
maybe.

you sure about that? who does the nuggets have on their bench?

phoenix after jim jacson oh wait Jimmy has to start now since no Joe Johnson. kurt thomas is great for defense, but they should've have let johnson go. whats going to happen this year when nash gets hurt for 4 games? barbosa? i think not.

Seattle-No more nate, I promise you that'll knock them down from last year.

Portland-in a super rebuilding process right now.
memphis-in a dismantling process
utah-who knows, isn't bell gone?
Golden state could be good with a health BD. but without same old Gstate.

Spurs-same championship form as last year. BUT RObert horry is older. and one of these days the guy will start to officially fall off ala steve smith.

New Orleans(yeah right)

WHo else are we missing?

lets see what teams have probably gotten better thru out the league.

Bobcats, but no worries still got a nice ways to go.
Miami, could easily get to the finals with this lineup, but could easily blow up and be fighting in the locker room.

the bucks, assuming BOgut is as good as they thionk.

HOw about Detroit losing larry brown? huge blow to the team. huge, you may not see detroit back in it for another decade.

So once again why cant the lakers do well?

P&P you can always be depended on to apply good sense!

Why do people think that other teams are just chuck full of nothing but studs? Everybody has the same handcuffs on when it comes to signing bodies and, the Lakers even now have made themselves fiercely competitive as of this week... I'm not saying championship potential but, everybody is not going to kick the Lakers ass...

The author of this thread pointed out some important and, highly relevant facts illustrating this team vs last seasons. Most teams are going to hate dealing with the Lakers if not the entire league. Right now as it stands the starting five are going to average more than last years unit scoring wise. Last years group was great at putting up points so, that is saying something. They couldn't stop any school from Compton from scoring though. This year that will change if for no other reason than having Devean and, Aaron in the lineup.

We have every reason to be optimistic with this team and, the solid organization that will be behind it this year...

Well maybe to some of us, improving by 14 wins and making the playoffs (even if it is as an 8th seed) is being optimistic.

You forget that FEW Teams have ever gone from lottery to champions in one season. This is a process, I will take a 14 win improvement any day, that is HUUUGE.

Doom
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Star wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

Guy was a #1 draft pick. #1. And you don't think he is a bust so far? You point to his stats 2 years ago when he was 21 as proof that he isn't a bust? Come now, you are being intellectually dishonest. His stats from 1 year ago are just not that good. It could very well be that his stats from 1 year ago represent the true Kwame and his stats from two years ago are an abberation.

7 and 5 for a #1 pick? Even Olowakandi has had better numbers than that and by all accounts he is a bust.

A little harsh, last season, Kwame started injured and out of shape because of that injury, missing a number of games. Most players who start a season recovering from injury don't play to their potential.
TrueLakerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Right now with the exception of Kobe this team is nothing but inconsistant group.

Odom- Can he play with the consistancy we expect of him. Be a 18-20 ppg, 10rpg guy we expect of him without getting into foul trouble? Without injuries?
Answer: ?????????

Kwame Brown- Can he be the player he was expected to be. At least a 12-15 ppg, 10 rpg PF? What proof do we have that he will be a very good player.
Answer: ?????????

Chris Mihm- Can he be the consistant player on a night to night basis, and still be able to participate in the game in 4th quarters and outside of Staples?
Answer: ????????? I tend to think not.

Mackie or PG- can they get productive minutes without injury out of him at 33 against top tier pg's.
Answer: ??????????

Bench- can they come up with at least 15-20 ppg on those nights when starters are in foul trouble or injured.
Answer: Well lets look at each player, Slava=????, Devean George=????
JJ= good player, Wafer=?????, Walton: minimal expectancy. Smush Parker: ??????? . Vlade- will he even play??? Cook- anything else but shoot threes in this year's version of cook (ie. defense, rebounding etc.)-???????
Ohhh let's not forget our excellent backup pg- Sasha Vujacic

Can Phil Jackson make something out of nothing for the first time in his career. Answer:??????????

2005-2006 Los Angeles Lakers chances of making playoffs=??????????
Kobe will be fabulous as always although I expect a better FG%. If he shoot like the crap he did last year then major frustration sets in when the teams other players' cannot respond taking up the slack.

Sky may worry about Mihm but I worry about everyone else on that team with exception of Kobe. We all hope all those ????? +/- turn into all +'s but is that mathematical reality?
I hope the team makes a total fool out of me, however how it is constructed it is still very weak and unbalanced in comparison to the rest of the league.

People if you don't think we're not in trouble then something good is in that pipe and I need it.

Last edited by TrueLakerman on Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
MadLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Where are all these Dallas and Sacto hating coming from? They're still great teams packing loads of quality players. Just because they lost some players that have been in their past sucess doesnt mean they've taken a huge step back. It's monstrous that some of you think they're suddenly fighting for a playoff spot now.

While I certainly do not see a huge improvement this season coming, I do have a reasonable hope for the playoffs. I think it'll be a dog fight for the 7-8th seed with us and a few others.

record wise

1.sa
2.phoe
3-5: den, dallas, houst no particular order
6.sacto
7-8: rest~
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject:

One thing that worries me though is lamar odom, he;s had trouble staying healthy so far in his career, when we aquired him i realized that but hoped after a healthy year in miami that was in the past, but he went down again, I'll be it a shoulder, which i'de actually take over him spraining one of his ankles again.. if lamar is healthy i think we have a chanve, because it wasnt a concidence our late free fall started when odom got knocked out.
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject:

The 2 and the 3 are the only positions on this team I feel safe at.

Our starting bigmen are inconsistent. Our back-up bigmen are horrible.

Our starting PG averaged 2ppg last year, is up there in age, and has injury concerns. Our back-up PG is nice, but the NBA is a different monster than the SPL and we still lack a starting caliber 1.
Star
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject:

re4ee wrote:
Star wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:

A little harsh, last season, Kwame started injured and out of shape because of that injury, missing a number of games. Most players who start a season recovering from injury don't play to their potential.

I agree. Hence the "so far". But expecting him to be anything but a decent backup (even if he will start this season), which is all he has displayed so far is projecting something on to him he hasn't earned yet.
JuiceMonkey
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject:

i love the optimism around here...honestly i think people are underestimating the fact that kwame brown makes everyone else play their position so much easier than last year. and aaron mckie helps the bigs play their position. look, phil jackson asked for a long athletic team and he got exactly what he requested in his starting 5. is the bench any good? definitely not but all we really need is this backup 4/5 banger(thats if smush is as good and fast as everyone says) and we're all set. Phil has the team he asked for and a training camp to implement the wild defensive schemes he was planning to, not to mention the triangle offense w/ lamar odom being his main ballhandler and kobe his backside scorer. does nobody remember the countless close games the lakers played against playoff-bound teams. we continually ended up on the losing side of these games despite having hte best closer in basketball. Unless last year wasnt a fluke, many of these games will fall into our column this year under phil and with kobe. we do have some critical "ifs" about this team but if a few of them go our way, this team will do much better than some of u are saying.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Underestimating this Lakers team?

I think a lot of people here are overestimating this Lakers team.

I hope Phil Jackson is the magic answer and I am proven wrong, but this team has little defense, an awful bench, no shooting, no PG and three reaches in the starting lineup alone.

Either Phil Jackson needs to be a magician, Kobe needs to clone himself or a big trade needs to happen. The dead weight (Vujacic, Walton, Medvedenko) must be cleared at some point so some players who can potentially produce may be brought in.
Kobina returns
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject:

I think our bench is not that bad.

Slava can get you 8ppg 5pg in 21minutes(I think if the roster stays he will get more playing time, with B Grant gone. He put up these same numbers under Phil)
Cook can spread the defense and hit the 3pointers when needed.
George will get you 7ppg off the bench.
Jones can give you energy and get you 6ppg 5rpg off the bench.
Sasha can make open 3s when Kobe, Odom or Brown is doubled in the post. He's a pretty good pure shooter and can give you production. I see Phil using Sasha as the backup pg to Mckie.
Waffer is a rookie but he has the ability to score 10-20pts on any given night when Lakers offense is struggling.
Bynum will get you maybe 4pts and 4rebs and some presence in the paint in some games when they need a big man to step up.
Walton will facilitate the passing and get you easy baskets.

The bench may not be the best in the NBA but they have their uses. The starting lineup is slated to do most of the work but our bench can provide some assistance when needed.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: