Odom's defense was superb tonight
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Van-Exel26
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Odom's defense was superb tonight

I see everybody talking about Ariza and Kobe's defense but not giving any props to LO. I was at Staples tonight and was astounded at how good Odom was on D. In general, he played excellent recovery D and had some crisp rotations. His versatility tonight especially helped in pick and roll situations allowing the Lakers to simply switch whenever they set a pick for Roy. He was just extremely active on defense and all over the place. He's played this kind of defense before but it's usually been in spurts, not throughout the whole game. Being the cynic that I am, I'm going to attribute it to the fact that he's in a contract year but I hope in continues throughout the season.
George W Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Amen!
sAM sHILE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Odom's defense was superb tonight

Van-Exel26 wrote:
I see everybody talking about Ariza and Kobe's defense but not giving any props to LO. I was at Staples tonight and was astounded at how good Odom was on D. In general, he played excellent recovery D and had some crisp rotations. His versatility tonight especially helped in pick and roll situations allowing the Lakers to simply switch whenever they set a pick for Roy. He was just extremely active on defense and all over the place. He's played this kind of defense before but it's usually been in spurts, not throughout the whole game. Being the cynic that I am, I'm going to attribute it to the fact that he's in a contract year but I hope in continues throughout the season.

+1
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject:

double amen !
k9cane
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject:

He played some of the best free safety this side of Ed Reed

His rotations, recovery and help were outstanding. He may never be an All-Star but he can be the Lakers Swiss Army knife
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject:

Yeah he really looked like a stud. As soon as he comes in he forces a turnover. This team is scary good.
PakaLOLO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject:

I thought he played great defensively, too. Mentioned this in the Thoughts and Ratings:

Quote:
His defensive positioning, zone rotations and switches were very disruptive for the Blazers. Those things might not show in the stat sheet, but they were mission critical to our defensive schemes.
DE181
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject:

THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Odom's defense was superb tonight

Van-Exel26 wrote:

The TNT announcers were alluding to that as well. They were giving mad props to both LO, and Socks for doing a number on the pick&roll of the Blazers.

I'm still scrathching my head wondering if the Lakers were just that sharp on defense, or were the Blazers as Jackson spoke of at the half just missing a lot of shots.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I'm still scrathching my head wondering if the Lakers were just that sharp on defense, or were the Blazers as Jackson spoke of at the half just missing a lot of shots.

Both.
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject:

Kudos Lamar.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Odom's defense was superb tonight

THE_SHOES wrote:
Van-Exel26 wrote:

The TNT announcers were alluding to that as well. They were giving mad props to both he and Socks for doing a number on the pick&roll of the Blazers.

Well, from what little I've seen so far this year, it seems like "missing a lot of shots" is a problem a lot of our opponents are experiencing.
melo061
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Odom's defense was superb tonight

ElginBaylor wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:
Van-Exel26 wrote:

The TNT announcers were alluding to that as well. They were giving mad props to both he and Socks for doing a number on the pick&roll of the Blazers.

Well, from what little I've seen so far this year, it seems like "missing a lot of shots" is a problem a lot of our opponents are experiencing.

Have we faced any good teams yet?

Perfect music.
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject:

Well...

The Clips are suddenly loaded with talent. Lets see if the team can do a job on them as well as they did with the Blazers. What the Lakers did to the Blazers made them look like they were a team from an instructional league or something..

Denver this weekend...

We'll see... If the Lakers are going to humiliate teams like this it could actually get boring...

The Blazers were never in that contest, and I mean not even a little even with that couple of runs they had. It was if the Lakers were just toying with them...
Jack Kent Cooke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject:

I was very impressed with Odom yesterday. If he just stops taking jumpshots from the perimeter, this guy might walk away with Sixth Man award. Happy for Lamar.

MINUTEMEN: http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?image=minutemenuz1.jpg

Prediction: 64-18 (42-10), NBA title.

"It ain't over. It's 7 game series." - Carmelo after Lakers win 4-0.
LAL4K3RS
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Odom's defense was superb tonight

melo061 wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
THE_SHOES wrote:
Van-Exel26 wrote:

Have we faced any good teams yet?

The answer is no. Portland has a ways to go before they hit the Good Team status. But we also didn't play down to thier level. They had one good run and once Kobe came in, it was over as quickly as it began. But what I did see on defense was a lot of shifting and with those long arms, guys like Gasol can shift over to a PG if need be because Bynum is still in the middle of the court which means they are taking a badly offbalance shot. Kobe might make them look easy but for most in the NBA...those are hard as hell to hit with any sort of regularity.

I bet we keep teams around 40% shooting all year long. We won't see teams going off for 55% anymore, and if we can clean up our rebounding a bit, we might see a lot more LOPSIDED games this year. The second/third chances tonight were terrible. But it was the first game of the season and we crushed Portland, so all in all, I am very happy with our efforts.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject:

He played solid defense, rebounded, ran the break, and shot the ball with no hesitation. LO played really good tonight. With the exception of the Sasha pass.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject:

The guy was awesome, major props to him. As for the Sasha pass, I won't blame the guy for passing to the open man.
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject:

Ding's article on the Lakers defense - and this is the Odom part.
Quote:

Portland’s star is Brandon Roy. He expected to have to deal
with an outstanding individual defender on him such as Kobe
Bryant or Ariza on Tuesday night. What Roy got was that and
much more – usually Lamar Odom coming over right on time to
switch onto him or build a double-team wall and a
never-ending landslide of long, lean Lakers defenders with
license to fly around.

Quote:
And in his sixth-man debut, Odom was decisive in his moves
to attack yet solid when he had to recover. He was in full
communication with teammates about what he was doing. His
one steal came when he drifted back into a lane like a free
safety, but most of the time he was an outside linebacker
coming off the edge.

“We have to use our speed,” he said. “It makes it fun when
you can blitz the quarterback.”

Odom has never been considered a true lockdown guy, yet
Jackson acknowledged the fit for the 6-foot-10 Odom and this
style of defense: The Lakers will need him to take over
some possessions against shooting guards and other
possessions against big men.

“He can be that real active defender who can really change
the game,”
Jackson said.
Said Odom: “As long as we talk and communicate, we’re going
to have a lot of fun defensively this year.”

This is how effective Odom was at being a fence between Roy
and the basket at all times: Roy had missed his first eight
shots of the game when Odom took over for Bryant on a switch
and forced Roy toward the baseline. Roy tried to drive,
only to run into Gasol’s waiting help at the rim, resulting
in a ninth consecutive miss. Roy was so rattled that he lost
his mind at the other end of the court.

Pretty big words there from Phil on Odom's defensive ability in this new switch and zone a lot system.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject:

I, for one, am pleased to see LO playing to his potential. I've always had faith he'd do it though there were times this year I thought his ego would be a deterrent. It's only one game. Tonight is another test as to what's really going to be. Sad about Oden, the guy's inherited our injury bug.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject:

If we are giving out props, let's not forget about 4-steals-Vlad "The Doberman" Radmanovic!

Vlad was playing some real solid D too. He was switching on screens really well and challenging jumpers. He's another big reason why Portland clanged so many jump shots. I loved that one steal where the guy he was guarding picked up his dribble to pass and Vlad sagged down into the passing lane and just took the ball. Great team D last night and Vlad was part of that.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject:

Looks like Vlad guarding Ariza and Odom in practice is teaching him to move his feet on D. He's still a little awkward closing out on J's, but it looks better.
CrownLA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject:

LO and Vlad were the best, defensively, last night (Yes,I'm giving Vlad props...finally).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: