iPhone Thread! All iPhone owners come here!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83, 84  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject:

I hate that I can't play individual albums through the artist menu like before.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject:

dood23 wrote:

Yes you can. Just got to the artist and press the shuffle button that's next to the album.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
Design, usability, and beauty is becoming more and more important since ALL mobile devices have already become super powerful i.e. pretty much as powerful as everyday mobile computers.

That is why companies like Samsung/LG/etc. have already had their very short-lived hey-day and Apple is once again back on top. Samsung = crap margins, crap design, crap build quality. They can't create the buzz that Apple creates. They are a manufacturing company, they have no marketing expertise. You think it was by sheer luck that Jobs was able to create this marketing empire? It's called mad skills.

The 5S and 5C are going to sell like crazy and the new device they intro next year will likely destroy the competition on all fronts.

A big reason why phablets exist is that nobody can make a tablet worth a damn except for Apple. What is Samsung going to do? Keep increasing the screen size? Where's the limit? What's next for them?

Look, everyone is making a nice handset. Samsung, HTC, Apple and the rest all make nice handsets. But those who try to bring Apple down get served each and every time.

I agree with some of what you said. I do however think the gap between Apple and Samsung is shrinking. Samsung does a good job marketing - I'd say they're second to Apple but again the margin is shrinking. Design-wise, I'm just not a fan of iOS7. Apple owning the OS and the hardware is always going to have an advantage.

iOS7 was hyped as the biggest change to iOS since it was introduced but really it seems like a bunch of minor tweaks all over and some of it is helpful while some of it is not. Swiping right to left instead of left to right to delete an individual email doesn't change anything for me. Killing a process by swiping up instead of hitting an x doesn't provide me a better experience. Adding a native level and flashlight doesn't do anything for me at all since there've been tons of apps for these things since pretty much day one. Overall it adds up to a bunch of things that make the experience a little better but I continue to be disappointed by the lack of ability to do relatively simple things like choose a visual palette.

iOS is still my platform of choice but Apple is far from untouchable, both from a product standpoint and a marketing standpoint, particularly with Jobs no longer around.
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
methdxman wrote:
Design, usability, and beauty is becoming more and more important since ALL mobile devices have already become super powerful i.e. pretty much as powerful as everyday mobile computers.

That is why companies like Samsung/LG/etc. have already had their very short-lived hey-day and Apple is once again back on top. Samsung = crap margins, crap design, crap build quality. They can't create the buzz that Apple creates. They are a manufacturing company, they have no marketing expertise. You think it was by sheer luck that Jobs was able to create this marketing empire? It's called mad skills.

The 5S and 5C are going to sell like crazy and the new device they intro next year will likely destroy the competition on all fronts.

A big reason why phablets exist is that nobody can make a tablet worth a damn except for Apple. What is Samsung going to do? Keep increasing the screen size? Where's the limit? What's next for them?

Look, everyone is making a nice handset. Samsung, HTC, Apple and the rest all make nice handsets. But those who try to bring Apple down get served each and every time.

I agree with some of what you said. I do however think the gap between Apple and Samsung is shrinking. Samsung does a good job marketing - I'd say they're second to Apple but again the margin is shrinking. Design-wise, I'm just not a fan of iOS7. Apple owning the OS and the hardware is always going to have an advantage.

iOS7 was hyped as the biggest change to iOS since it was introduced but really it seems like a bunch of minor tweaks all over and some of it is helpful while some of it is not. Swiping right to left instead of left to right to delete an individual email doesn't change anything for me. Killing a process by swiping up instead of hitting an x doesn't provide me a better experience. Adding a native level and flashlight doesn't do anything for me at all since there've been tons of apps for these things since pretty much day one. Overall it adds up to a bunch of things that make the experience a little better but I continue to be disappointed by the lack of ability to do relatively simple things like choose a visual palette.

iOS is still my platform of choice but Apple is far from untouchable, both from a product standpoint and a marketing standpoint, particularly with Jobs no longer around.

While I agree those are small changes the swiping up instead is MUCH better experience than hitting those little x things. Simple yet effective.

The flashlight is just convenience. Way easier swiping up from ANYWHERE to access your flash light vs unlocking your cell, looking for the flashlight app and tapping the button.

Just tons and tons of little things that really add up. Like having the privacy setting right in safari, swiping left or right on the screen to go back and forth between web pages. It's all simple yet smartly thought out. Should have been there from the start mind you but its here now and it works great for the most part.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
downloading iOS7 !! Just needed to delete half my apps to do so to clear enough space

Can you load apps to the cloud and then stream from there when you want to use them?

didn't see your question sorry....hmm... no I think you need to have them on your phone to use them .
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject:

http://www.informationweek.com/hardware/handheld/649-iphone-5s-costs-apple-199/240161733

Well, Apple knows how to make a profit.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
http://www.informationweek.com/hardware/handheld/649-iphone-5s-costs-apple-199/240161733

Pretty sure that is the point.

By the way, a great number of phones don't sell at that full price. The upgrade phone sells for the $199 that it costs to make it.
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject:

Four privacy settings you should enable in iOS 7 immediately

http://www.zdnet.com/four-privacy-settings-you-should-enable-in-ios-7-immediately-7000020902/

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

By the way, a great number of phones don't sell at that full price. The upgrade phone sells for the $199 that it costs to make it.

You do realize that the wireless carriers subsidize the phones, and that the money that you pay isn't what Apple gets, and that Apple gets more while the cost off the phone is built into your contract, right?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

You do realize that the wireless carriers subsidize the phones, and that the money that you pay isn't what Apple gets, and that Apple gets more while the cost off the phone is built into your contract, right?

Either way, you do realize that the goal of companies is to make a profit, right? A company like Apple has costs other than the unit price of production.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject:

Apple official Tim Richardson admits that fingerprint data will be shared with the NSA databases

Link
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

Either way, you do realize that the goal of companies is to make a profit, right? A company like Apple has costs other than the unit price of production.

When did I say different? Apple has convinced people to buy into their ecosystem even with the huge profits they rake in (including myself). It's just kind of interesting (and sobering) to realize just how huge a markup they really add to their products.
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject:

what really surprises me is that a new iphone and ios and this thread is pretty dead.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject:

Clearly I'm an idiot, but how can I delete apps from my phone with the ios 7? I've finally figured out how to close open apps and all that, but haven't seen how to remove an app from the phone now.
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
methdxman wrote:

Samsung may or may not be good at "marketing" (I don't think they are) but it doesn't make them a marketing company. There is a big, big difference. Samsung is a manufacturing company that engages in marketing activities i.e. you have to in order to sell your products.

Apple is a marketing company. They're not a manufacturer. They're much different than Samsung. Yes they are similar to Samsung in that they both create and design products and sell them, but Apple is in the business of building a brand and image and sell it.

Samsung is a component manufacturer who is TRYING to also be a marketing company. No matter how hard they try or create a sleek product or make a cool commercial or do a cool launch event with dark colors or make their stores look very aseptic... you don't becoming a brand by doing these things. The brand starts with a vision and everything else is a natural result of this vision. This is what a marketing company does.

The difference is that Apple is the BEST marketing company and often they are the BEST producers of product. But the latter isn't as important, but if you nail both, you have the richest company in the history of civilization. Think about that. Bigger than food, oil, everything. Most valuable company EVER.

The gripes about improvements in the OS or the screen size... it's all missing the large picture and it's missing much of the smaller picture.

First, there are always NEW customers every time they launch a new product. New customers to their eco system. Old customers have switching costs to get out of the ecosystem. Apple doesn't need to reinvent the wheel everytime (which they often do, and have done so much more than their competitors). Reinventing the wheel every time costs tons of money and is a DISSERVICE to their shareholders.

Apple doesn't need a big screen phone. Why? They have the two best devices at 7.9" and at 9.7" inches. The only reason a phablet exists is because Samsung and other companies are getting SMOKED in the tablet space. Absolutely smoked. Everything has been a gigantic failure (if you look at return on capital) compared to the iPad. Complete gigantic failure. It's not even close.

People think a company like Apple (who has reinvented itself many times) is being stagnant. They're being patient.

What has happened? Record iPhone sales. When the iPad mini 2 and the iPad 5 come out there will be RECORD tablet sales as well.

All of the other stuff dont' matter. Tech specs... functionality... come on, Apple perfected all this stuff for tablets and phones, everything else is just "preference" and "preference" isn't strong enough to break people out of ecosystems and to break people out of how Apple products generally make them feel.

You think women care about what processor is in the iPhone? The device looks BRILLIANT.

Apple. Pure genius company with record sales and will continue to beat expectations all the time. The wall street analysts that are bearish on Apple are just creating a market on the bear side to make money from all the fools betting against Apple.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
Clearly I'm an idiot, but how can I delete apps from my phone with the ios 7? I've finally figured out how to close open apps and all that, but haven't seen how to remove an app from the phone now.

find the app that you want to delete, then press down on the icon until it begins to vibrate, you will see an (x) in the corner. press the (x) and it's deleted.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
Huskers wrote:

find the app that you want to delete, then press down on the icon until it begins to vibrate, you will see an (x) in the corner. press the (x) and it's deleted.

When I upgraded, I lost the (x) in the corner. I just get the icons to vibrate. I have no idea how to remove them now.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
K2 wrote:
Huskers wrote:

When I upgraded, I lost the (x) in the corner. I just get the icons to vibrate. I have no idea how to remove them now.

That's weird. I can still remove them. I still get the (x). Are you pressing down on the app itself?
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
K2 wrote:
Huskers wrote:

You might check restrictions: Go settings>general>restrictions and see if deleting apps is restricted. If it is, just turn restrictions off and you should see the (x) again.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
Huskers wrote:
K2 wrote:
Huskers wrote:

You might check restrictions: Go settings>general>restrictions and see if deleting apps is restricted. If it is, just turn restrictions off and you should see the (x) again.

That was the only restriction turned off, no idea how. Thank you!
Kobeskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
Socks wrote:
methdxman wrote:

Samsung may or may not be good at "marketing" (I don't think they are) but it doesn't make them a marketing company. There is a big, big difference. Samsung is a manufacturing company that engages in marketing activities i.e. you have to in order to sell your products.

Apple is a marketing company. They're not a manufacturer. They're much different than Samsung. Yes they are similar to Samsung in that they both create and design products and sell them, but Apple is in the business of building a brand and image and sell it.

Samsung is a component manufacturer who is TRYING to also be a marketing company. No matter how hard they try or create a sleek product or make a cool commercial or do a cool launch event with dark colors or make their stores look very aseptic... you don't becoming a brand by doing these things. The brand starts with a vision and everything else is a natural result of this vision. This is what a marketing company does.

The difference is that Apple is the BEST marketing company and often they are the BEST producers of product. But the latter isn't as important, but if you nail both, you have the richest company in the history of civilization. Think about that. Bigger than food, oil, everything. Most valuable company EVER.

The gripes about improvements in the OS or the screen size... it's all missing the large picture and it's missing much of the smaller picture.

First, there are always NEW customers every time they launch a new product. New customers to their eco system. Old customers have switching costs to get out of the ecosystem. Apple doesn't need to reinvent the wheel everytime (which they often do, and have done so much more than their competitors). Reinventing the wheel every time costs tons of money and is a DISSERVICE to their shareholders.

Apple doesn't need a big screen phone. Why? They have the two best devices at 7.9" and at 9.7" inches. The only reason a phablet exists is because Samsung and other companies are getting SMOKED in the tablet space. Absolutely smoked. Everything has been a gigantic failure (if you look at return on capital) compared to the iPad. Complete gigantic failure. It's not even close.

People think a company like Apple (who has reinvented itself many times) is being stagnant. They're being patient.

What has happened? Record iPhone sales. When the iPad mini 2 and the iPad 5 come out there will be RECORD tablet sales as well.

All of the other stuff dont' matter. Tech specs... functionality... come on, Apple perfected all this stuff for tablets and phones, everything else is just "preference" and "preference" isn't strong enough to break people out of ecosystems and to break people out of how Apple products generally make them feel.

You think women care about what processor is in the iPhone? The device looks BRILLIANT.

Apple. Pure genius company with record sales and will continue to beat expectations all the time. The wall street analysts that are bearish on Apple are just creating a market on the bear side to make money from all the fools betting against Apple.

I think they are starting to get stagnant. I've been a loyal fan since the 3GS.

I've had the 3GS, 4 and now 5.

I'm started to get really bored with the hardware/IOS.

It's my opinion but it's just getting boring. I'm seriously starting to consider another phone next year.

i'm tired of having such a small screen and the Ios, even 7, is largely the same experience. Is like they are just check marking vs trying to push the envelope which they used to do.
undefeatedAJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject:

So I went from an iPhone 3G to an HTC myTouch then back to an iPhone (4) then back to an HTC (one x) and Galaxy S3 then back again to an iPhone (5). At the end of the day, I prefer the feel of an iPhone. The size is perfect for one hand and the apps available for apple vs google play is not even comparable. iOS 7 has brought feature to the iPhone that android has had for years but it is still is a huge improvement from iOS 6. Don't get me wrong, I love android that's why I keep coming back to them but I prefer the iPhone. Tablet-wise, it's a different story for me. I gave away my iPad and bought a nexus 7 because I can't saturate my tech life with just iOS. But at the end of the day, the iPhone is convenient and the app selection is just that much better than google's and that's what I want from my phone.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject:

I do agree about apps, I have an N7 and a 4S and I often find that the apps I really want are always available on the latter but not necessarily the former...

I've had my 4S for about 7 months now, still enjoying it. iOS7 is cool but it has made my phone noticeably more sluggish. I suppose that's the price of an OS with so many graphically intense aspects to it.
Grammer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
dood23 wrote:

Yes you can. Just got to the artist and press the shuffle button that's next to the album.

I thought that that was what the little shuffle icon by each album did, but it doesn't work for me. Only solution i can think of is to either (a) search for the album and play it or (b) make a playlist with just the album.

Grammer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject:

undefeatedAJ wrote:
So I went from an iPhone 3G to an HTC myTouch then back to an iPhone (4) then back to an HTC (one x) and Galaxy S3 then back again to an iPhone (5). At the end of the day, I prefer the feel of an iPhone. The size is perfect for one hand and the apps available for apple vs google play is not even comparable. iOS 7 has brought feature to the iPhone that android has had for years but it is still is a huge improvement from iOS 6. Don't get me wrong, I love android that's why I keep coming back to them but I prefer the iPhone. Tablet-wise, it's a different story for me. I gave away my iPad and bought a nexus 7 because I can't saturate my tech life with just iOS. But at the end of the day, the iPhone is convenient and the app selection is just that much better than google's and that's what I want from my phone.

Yeah, with the way tablets have blown up it seems anyone & everyone can get one, so the need for your phone to 'do it all' is unnecessary. You can just have a phone & a tablet. Don't get me wrong, those phablets are nice, but they don't have that true tablet experience.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83, 84  Next
Page 82 of 84
Jump to: